Pokémon Blastoise

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you didn't want to use Mega Blastoise as a spinner would Aqua Jet be viable in Rapid Spin's place. Like using AJ to pick off mons that survive megatoise's attacks. Something like

Blastoise@Blastoisenite
200HP, 252 Sp Att, 52 Att
Quiet Nature
Aqua Jet
Hydro Pump/Water Pulse
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse/Aura Sphere

kinda late but.... cough cough #excadrill lol
Excadrill VS Gengar is not going to end well for Excadrill. Aegislash can smack it with Sacred Sword and has amazing defense. Blastoise beats both.

You could say that Excadrill has an advantage of not losing outright to Spiritomb, but, well...

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
oh yea didnt think of gengar but if you wanted to you could probably give it an assualt vest so it can take focus blasts. the mole could be pretty bulky with investment you know and excadrill's eq can 1hko ageisheild before it can even use scared sword.

Last edited:
I really love Blastoise by his position is outclassed by a Greninja/Scizor combo. Greninja holds the stabs here like Ice Beam/DarkPulse/Hydro and with Scizor holding defog? He just doesn't do enough anymore for me.

I really love Blastoise by his position is outclassed by a Greninja/Scizor combo. Greninja holds the stabs here like Ice Beam/DarkPulse/Hydro and with Scizor holding defog? He just doesn't do enough anymore for me.
That's if you're using defog. M-Blastoise lets you keep your hazards. Also, no one is gonna switch a ghost into Greninja. Blastoise, however, they might try to block, and you can predict that and hammer with Dark pulse.

So yeah, Scizor could run defog for a lot of teams, but you'd need to sacrifice your own hazards.

What about ability do you think is better for a normal blastoise, rain dish or torrent? or are they both kinda useless?

Excadrill VS Gengar is not going to end well for Excadrill. Aegislash can smack it with Sacred Sword and has amazing defense. Blastoise beats both.

You could say that Excadrill has an advantage of not losing outright to Spiritomb, but, well...
Excadrill can also beat Gaygar on the switch if its ability is Mold Breaker or the Gengar has MEVO'd.

What about ability do you think is better for a normal blastoise, rain dish or torrent? or are they both kinda useless?
Raindish would be situationally better if you're running a rain team, and not running mega. But ultimately, if you're running Mega Blastoise, it make no difference.

Blastoise cant learn dark pulse
He gets it by TM in game in generation 6,. It's well documented at this point.

64 EV's and a Modest nature will ensure that Dark Pulse OHKOes MGengar and 2HKOes Aegislash (factoring in 2 turns of leftovers). This should be the benchmark to hit as killing spinblockers without taking much damage is necessary for a tanky spinner (it needs to retain enough health to spin afterwards).

After that, I figure max HP is a given, but is it better to max SpA too or should the remaining EV's go into defense such as 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA+?

64 EV's and a Modest nature will ensure that Dark Pulse OHKOes MGengar and 2HKOes Aegislash (factoring in 2 turns of leftovers). This should be the benchmark to hit as killing spinblockers without taking much damage is necessary for a tanky spinner (it needs to retain enough health to spin afterwards).

After that, I figure max HP is a given, but is it better to max SpA too or should the remaining EV's go into defense such as 252 HP / 192 Def / 64 SpA+?
Also ensures a 2HKO on ferrothorn with aura sphere, 2HKO on Jellicent, AND a 2HKO on fully special invested Trevenant AND Gourgeist-super.

HOWEVER, 252 SpAtk gives you a high chance of OHKOing both Gourgeist and Trev after SR

EDIT: Forgot to take lefties or sitrus into account but it was almost ohko levels so it should be fine.

Last edited:
TWO pokemon are not a reasonable substitute for one... especially considering the fact that Greninja can't even trap ghost types and totally lacks MBlastoise's bulk and power. And Scizor has way better movesets than wasting a slot on defog.

It matters the slightest bit, because rapid spin is physical damage and you'll get a little extra damage (like 1 point) or so if you have 31 att. Or you can run 0 ATT meaning that you will hit yourself for less damage if you are confused. It matters, but will almost never affect a battle.
So if im not running rapid spin then i will not go with 6 perfect IVs. Thanks for this. Really helpful as I am just trying to enter competitive community. Now, Im having a problem who will I go with this Blastoise. I need to pick 5 more.

So if im not running rapid spin then i will not go with 6 perfect IVs. Thanks for this. Really helpful as I am just trying to enter competitive community. Now, Im having a problem who will I go with this Blastoise. I need to pick 5 more.
Good partners are anything weak to stealth rock or anything fast that doesn't want to be slowed. Really MegaBlastoise fits on any team where you don't already have a spinner.

I would strongly recommend going with rapid spin, because that is pretty much the only reason it is worth using mega blastoise. A good set for him is:

Blastoise @ Blastoisenite
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Rapid Spin
Water Pulse / Scald / Hydro Pump
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere / Ice Beam

This set prevents pretty much makes it a given that blastoise will get off a rapid spin to remove your opponent's entry hazards, because almost no spin blocker would dare to switch in fearing a dark pulse to the face.

Good teammates to mega blastoise are those who need entry hazards to be removed to be most effective. Gale Wings Talonflame, Multi scale dragonite, and volcarona are a few good teammates. So is aegislash, because blastoise can deal with some of the ground and fire pokemon that aegislash has a problem with. He's also pretty good against sticky web, because he can easily remove the opponent's sticky web while keeping your own hazards

I would strongly recommend going with rapid spin, because that is pretty much the only reason it is worth using mega blastoise. A good set for him is:

Blastoise @ Blastoisenite
Modest
252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD

Rapid Spin
Water Pulse / Scald / Hydro Pump
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere / Ice Beam

This set prevents pretty much makes it a given that blastoise will get off a rapid spin to remove your opponent's entry hazards, because almost no spin blocker would dare to switch in fearing a dark pulse to the face.

Good teammates to mega blastoise are those who need entry hazards to be removed to be most effective. Gale Wings Talonflame, Multi scale dragonite, and volcarona are a few good teammates. So is aegislash, because blastoise can deal with some of the ground and fire pokemon that aegislash has a problem with. He's also pretty good against sticky web, because he can easily remove the opponent's sticky web while keeping your own hazards
So even without the IV for attack I can go with rapid spin? coz thats one thing that worries me. I have 5 IV with no attack on it. Thanks for the tips with the team mates, with what you said I will try to use talonflame, dragonite, volcarona, aegislash and ?. How about last one is scizor? or smeagle? I am laughing now as pokemon became more complicated than ever since I started playing R/B/Y versions. I just came back playing again and I was amazed by the improvement. So I'm trying to catch up.

So even without the IV for attack I can go with rapid spin? coz thats one thing that worries me. I have 5 IV with no attack on it. Thanks for the tips with the team mates, with what you said I will try to use talonflame, dragonite, volcarona, aegislash and ?. How about last one is scizor? or smeagle? I am laughing now as pokemon became more complicated than ever since I started playing R/B/Y versions. I just came back playing again and I was amazed by the improvement. So I'm trying to catch up.
Yeah, that extra rapid spin damage may win you one game out of a million, so it really isn't that important unless you are super hardcore. Scizor is a pretty good fit in just about every team and blastoise does resist fire (scizor's only weakness) so they can be good partners. Blastoise is a good fit in any team that wants a rapid spinner and doesn't mind forgoing a mega stone on something else. Honestly, I find megaevolutions to be a bit overrated. Most of them are crappy, and they are only slight benefits for some. In OU, I bet only a few megaevolutions will be effective, and blastoise is one of the few that will definitely be a good choice.

Yeah, that extra rapid spin damage may win you one game out of a million, so it really isn't that important unless you are super hardcore. Scizor is a pretty good fit in just about every team and blastoise does resist fire (scizor's only weakness) so they can be good partners. Blastoise is a good fit in any team that wants a rapid spinner and doesn't mind forgoing a mega stone on something else. Honestly, I find megaevolutions to be a bit overrated. Most of them are crappy, and they are only slight benefits for some. In OU, I bet only a few megaevolutions will be effective, and blastoise is one of the few that will definitely be a good choice.
Thanks for this bro. I will try to check a thread for each build for the aforementioned teammates. I will try this team with rapid spin and im just choosing which is better aura sphere or ice beam. As ice can destroy dragons and plants which is good but with aura sphere, I see few advantages of it or maybe Im not aware now which type fighting is good against.

Aura Sphere is there for Ferrothorn who would otherwise wall you and power whip you to death, though I suppose dark isn't resisted by steel anymore, so perhaps you can flinch it to death with dark pulse after scald burn. :)

Aura Sphere is there for Ferrothorn who would otherwise wall you and power whip you to death, though I suppose dark isn't resisted by steel anymore, so perhaps you can flinch it to death with dark pulse after scald burn. :)
If he is the spinner who will be the sweeper? lol

Blastoise recieves aura sphere as a new x/y exclusive egg move, it gets it along with dragon pulse and i think dark pulse from clawitzer.
Correct on the first two, but Dark Pulse is a TM move. Incidentally, Squirtle cannot learn Dark Pulse, but Blastoise can.

I'd like to follow up on this, since the current spread in the OP is 252 SpA. Are those remaining EVs worthless in SpA after all, or is there something that it's worth including them for?

Correct on the first two, but Dark Pulse is a TM move. Incidentally, Squirtle cannot learn Dark Pulse, but Blastoise can.

I'd like to follow up on this, since the current spread in the OP is 252 SpA. Are those remaining EVs worthless in SpA after all, or is there something that it's worth including them for?
Maybe a full investment in SPA would give a 0HKO on Aegislash... or not?

Can I just say that it is so very very sad that MegaBlastoise and Yzard can't be on the same team? They would be the best of friends ever, in the history of the universe.
Like forever.
Well, maybe Assault Vest Blastoise will do the trick here ? While you miss good amount of power, AV Blastoise is really damn tanky and he can afford to just go with Max HP/Max SpA Modest + Assault Vest with Dark Pulse in (as it is TM now for it). AV Blastoise is not really outclassed by MegaBlastoise, as he is in overall more bulky with AV than MegaBlastoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)