The MMA/Boxing/Fighting Sports Thread

I thought that was more because Munoz was a training partner than respect, but still nice of him not to mash his face in further I guess.
Machida has stopped before the ref got there before; the Bader fight for example, he hit him with one shot on the ground and was already getting up when the ref got there. I think for someone that fights in such a deliberate manner it's kind of in his nature.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Shin-Bisping would outstrike Diaz tbh. Diaz is slow and has shit footwork. He's not athletic or strong. He can beat up guys that will stand in front of him but Bisping would circle and work him. He also has very good offensive wrestling (as well as defensive tbh) and can always take Diaz to the ground. He'd be an easy pick over Diaz I think.
Saying Bisping "takes" Diaz on the ground just because he has got a few takedowns (no ground work whatsoever) against other non-BJJ black belts is kinda funny.

I think is a good solid, all around good fighter. He has a little bit of everything but I have to admit I've seen him overwhelmed by punches, especially coming from a lot of places. He can probably secure a takedown against Diaz, but let's be real; how many times have we seen Bisping actually put in work on the ground?

Looked like Junior had a big adrenaline dump before the bell to me, not to say Velasquez didn't deserve the W (quite clearly so).

Werdum vs Velasquez could either be awesome or really boring, Werdum being the hot and cold fighter that he is. Next week: Machida beats the tar out of Munoz.
I doubt he had an adrenaline dump or anything whatsoever lol. He had doctors during his training on the show to scan his heart rate and all this other shit so we could assure himself the win. He lost AGAIN because he didn't beat Velasquez, not because he got tired before the bell rofl.

Anyways the Werdum fight sounds exiting. Werdum is a grappling god and this is almost a unpredictable one too. I know Cain is gonna be training in that NoGi for a long ass time now.

My boy GSP fights very soon. Can't wait to see him.

I don't see Werdum subbing him personally, I see Velazquez turning him into mincemeat like Dos Santos. Werdum is a small HW and given his only tactic against another big striker (Overeem) was to curl up on the floor and try to bait him down just made him look stupid.

Nah jds got killed. How he was allowed to be beaten to death and other fights where one eye gets closed and the fight is stopped (fedor/big foot) is a mystery to me. Especially when fedor was standing patiently waiting for te round to start meanwhile Bigfoot is on the stool fighting for air. Jds corner man should have forfeited early on honestly. Werdum seems like the only good fight for Cain right now.

Bisping's good man. He proved he can wrestle in the Sonnen fight and he brings enough pace to decision Diaz imo but I don't think the fights happening anyway.

The bellator event was great. Titles changes waists and it was amazing lol

I don't see Werdum subbing him personally, I see Velazquez turning him into mincemeat like Dos Santos. Werdum is a small HW and given his only tactic against another big striker (Overeem) was to curl up on the floor and try to bait him down just made him look stupid.
Werdum is 6'4" and 240, he's not a small HW unless you put him next to the really big guys of the division.

With Werdum it depends which Werdum shows up.

Bellator 106 was awesome, looking forward to Khasbulaev vs Straus (and possibly Freire vs Straus again).

On the topic of Bellator, it was pretty impressive to see Ivanov come back and fight again, considering the guy was in hospital for 3 months after getting stabbed in the heart.

Werdum is 6'4" and 240, he's not a small HW unless you put him next to the really big guys of the division.

With Werdum it depends which Werdum shows up.

Bellator 106 was awesome, looking forward to Khasbulaev vs Straus (and possibly Freire vs Straus again).

On the topic of Bellator, it was pretty impressive to see Ivanov come back and fight again, considering the guy was in hospital for 3 months after getting stabbed in the heart.
Really? I thought Werdum was like 230 or something, guess not.

Werdum's a legitimate threat to Velasquez. I think Overeem would be as well if he could string together a couple of wins. There's Barnett too. I REALLY dislike Overeem though and love seeing guys like him get humbled. It's hard to see anyone beating Cain right now. DC would be the best fight but that'll never happen. They're the best HWs in the world and they train together lol. Fucking monsters. I'll take DC to beat Jon Jones though. DC will beat Jones up.

Only way Cain loses is by a quick KO or getting caught in a sub. No way in hell anyone is going to bully that guy in the cage. Werdum can catch him. And that's really his only hope. Even then Cain will probably employ similar strategy he used vs JDS in their third fight and it'll most likely never hit the ground. IF Werdum could land a knee or something and hurt him then go for the sub I could see it but that's probably his only chance.

Who you guys have in Henderson/Belfort? Call me a fanboy but I think Hendo KOes and upsets Belfort. Henderson is so game he's fearless and his weird striking comes through for him. Belfort could give him his first KO loss but I'll gladly pick Henderson via KO.

Anyone think Hendricks will beat GSP? Obviously he has the tools to do so but does anyone see it likely happening? GSP is just so damn athletic and versatile I have a hard time picturing him losing.

/disappointed

I guess Hendo's career is slowly going downhill, shame. Hopefully he'll get a few wins in to go out in style at least.

Saying Bisping "takes" Diaz on the ground just because he has got a few takedowns (no ground work whatsoever) against other non-BJJ black belts is kinda funny.
Nothing funny about it. Bisping beats Diaz every time, on the feet or the ground. He would out strike him or could take him down at will all night. I don't think he would finish Diaz though. Fights not happening anyway. Diaz too busy throwing a hissy fit because he doesn't want to compete at the top level. Enjoy your 'retirement' Nick. We'll see you back in the cage soon as the money inevitably dries up. He could be making millions now but he'll be back to fight for scraps when it's too late for him.

Anyway it's unfortunate but Anthony Pettis injured his knee and his fight is off.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Nothing funny about it. Bisping beats Diaz every time, on the feet or the ground. He would out strike him or could take him down at will all night. I don't think he would finish Diaz though. Fights not happening anyway. Diaz too busy throwing a hissy fit because he doesn't want to compete at the top level. Enjoy your 'retirement' Nick. We'll see you back in the cage soon as the money inevitably dries up. He could be making millions now but he'll be back to fight for scraps when it's too late for him.

Anyway it's unfortunate but Anthony Pettis injured his knee and his fight is off.
Diaz would baroplata Bisping just finished smoking a sour diesel blunt. Easily. Diaz will be fighting for scraps? rofl. He has his own promotion going on and its going it's first even was successful. Just stop, your hate is showing again.

Actually Bisping is the one I dislike. I like watching Diaz fight. He always brings it. But who at the top level has he ever subbed? His greatest moment was against Gomi. Bisping's a lot stronger than him, he'd control where the fight took place. I actually gave him a good chance to sub GSP but I fell for the hype train. Dana White offered him the fight. If he thought he'd sub Bisping that easily after smoking a blunt he'd be smart enough to take the fight.

Only time will tell if his promotion succeeds. Whether it succeeds or doesn't really isn't what I'm after. I'd like to see him fighting again. And he will. Soon as the dro money dries up.

I'm sure you still think Diaz beat Condit too, right?

Anyway GSP's coach Firas Zahabi has been saying GSP may retire after he beats Hendricks. I really hope he doesn't. GSP is the best overall mma fighter the UFC's ever seen. I can see only Jon Jones surpassing him in the next decade and that's if he keeps his run up.

Speaking of which Jones/Teixeira is now official for UFC 170 in February. I really don't see Jones losing this fight. DC will threaten him though. Greco Roman vs Olympic free style is going to be epic! I'm so excited for that but I can't just assume he'll walk through Teixeira, crazier shit has happened.

Anthony Pettis out for 6 months+ after surgery for torn PCL. His brother Sergio makes his debut this weekend though. Apparently he fights just like his bro. Cool.

Ben Askren is now a free agent. Look out UFC. Wonder if they'll pick him up knowing he'd be an annoying gate keeper who puts on worse fights than Fitch did.

That's all I got for now.

Didn't get to watch the fight, but apparently it was kinda controversial GSP won, the pictures definitely would suggest he got the worst of it over Hendricks.

But if he is gonna step back for a bit, it's not like the WW division is lacking in contenders, one of them if not Hendricks probably would've beat GSP. Till then, you can easily have a 4 person mini-tournament for a vacant WW belt, like Hendricks/Condit/Lawler/uh...MacDonald or something.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
agh wtf McDonald. Not your night. S/O to Koscheck hes still my boy but he needs to stop taking damage and start coaching.

And GSP > Silva as best champ.

Close fight. Could have gone either way. Thought Hendricks possibly won round 1, and definitely won rounds 2 and 4. I guess round 1 was the disputable round. I'm OK with the champion getting the nod in a close contest. Congrats to GSP and best of luck with whatever he decides to do. Hopefully he comes back and gives Hendricks a proper whoopin. First time GSP ever looked beatable tbh. Even in the Hughes and Sera fights he lost, I never thought he'd lose. The Hendricks fight was nuts though.

Only thing to look forward to next is Silva/Weidman 2. WAR SILVA

Also funny how the 'new breed' (Rory) can't beat UFC washout Robbie Lawler. This new breed shit is such marketing crap. Wrestling is thousands of years old. As is punching people in the face. As is doing both as a sport. Not sure why we keep calling every new decent fighter 'new breed.'

Also funny how the 'new breed' (Rory) can't beat UFC washout Robbie Lawler.
Quite a few guys have washed out and come back better; most notably Anderson Silva in PRIDE. The "new breed" thing is dumb though.

Hendricks deserved the nod imo, but with the first round as close as it was, and the ten point must system (coupled with unwillingness of judges to score a round 10-10) doing very little to differentiate between a close round win and an obvious win, I can see why GSP got the decision.

Venom

red eyes no visine
is a Team Rater Alumnus
^ I actually agree. A lot of old dudes are coming back harder now in days, and the new breed shit is def stupid. I believe experience makes the best fighter.

I feel GSP is a little different now. Maybe he plans to step away from the sport soon?

Would suggest it's more about maturity and mental toughness than in-cage experience (think guys like Barnett and Nurmagomedov who were really tough already at 23-24); probably a large part of why wrestlers translate so well.

Happy to see Shogun win a fight obviously. He's had it rough in the UFC. Glad to see em making that money though. :) I gasped on the last punch on a sleeping Te Huna. Luckily it looked like it was a glancing/missed punch. Not sure if Shogun was being classy or just missed lol.

Rashad Evans vs Daniel Cormier for UFC 170! Awesome. Evans is a tough fight for Cormier because it'll be a 5 rounder and if Evans can drag Cormier into deep waters he could win it on points. He has great hands too and could KO Cormier. I can't really predict if he'll be able to stay away from Cormier all fight though. He's certainly fast and athletic enough to pull it off. To be fair Cormier will be the favorite. Whether he can finish Rashad or not will be important imo. If he can't he'll be in trouble as the fight progresses (I think). Also it'll be interesting to see Cormier's game plan. No one can really keep Rashad on his back so I'm guessing Cormier will work him in the clinch against the cage and maybe even finish with short punches.

I haven't seen Hunt/Bigfoot yet. It was apparently pretty epic. Gotta get on that.

I didn't even know last night was fight night, again all this Fox synergy is pretty lacking as I don't recall it being advertised at all...whereas on Spike they always pushed what events were coming up. Shame, it sounded like Hunt/Silva was a really good one, even with a draw.

I'm leery on Cormier's chances despite wanting him to win, I think he has bigger hands than Rashad and I don't see him getting KOed by Rashad (who doesn't have that hands that good to me). But this is his first fight at LHW (whatever happened to Rashad dropping down again?), and apparently one reason he couldn't compete at the Olympics was dropping weight due to kidney problems. So I'm not really sure how effective Cormier will be and his conditioning, if he'll gas quickly or not. A longer fight definitely isn't in his favor I think, though if he can pull it off he should be the bigger man going into the cage.

If Cormier wins and assuming Bones beats Texiera, give Gustaffson another shot at Bones, let Cormier challenge a higher ranked LHW, and if they both win out from there, set up Bones/Cormier imo.

IMO give Cormier the Jones fight if he beats Evans and Jones beats Glover. Evans is top 5 and probably stylistically the toughest fight for Cormier at 205 (besides Jones). A win over him should be good enough for a title shot imo. Let Gustaffson fight another fight or two assuming he wins the next one. That fight was close but Jones won it imo despite taking a ton of damage from Gustaffson. He was apparently throwing up and looked like shit after that fight hehe. Props to 'em tho that fight was amazing.

Also isn't Machida fighting Mousasi? That fight will be amazing! Mousasi is one of the few people that's good enough to catch and KO Machida. Can't wait for that one.

Mousasi, Machida, Belfort, Jacare, all great fighters at middleweight who can mix things up after Weidman/Silva 2. Both Evans and Shogun are considering dropping to MW as well. Not sure why Evans hasn't. He could be champion there. Good time for the middle weight division especially now that Silva is no longer on top. Then you have guys like Rockhold, Kennedy, Bisping, Sonnen, Wanderlei, Okami, and others that can all make for interesting fights.

Also really exciting time for the Russians, Dagestanis, and Chechnyans. Bellator is littered with them and the UFC is just now picking up great fighters. These guys are tough as nails and it'll be exciting as we get more and more grapplers from the Soviet bloc.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)