First new team for the generation.

This is team I have created in my Pokemon Y. More or less it has performed quite satisfactory, but I'm feeling pressured by certain threats and I'll like feedback or ideas on how it can perform better.

======================================================================

Nananananana (Crobat) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Brave Bird
- Hypnosis
- Defog
- Cross Poison

I've been using this as my anti-lead, usually I go for the Hypnosis first as since Crobat has a blazing fast base 130 speed, it'll usually go first bar priority moves or Pranksters from the opponent. Hypnosis stops most leads right there, whether it be a hazard setter or anti-lead.
Ideally if I can make them sleep on the first turn I can switch to my other pokemon to gain momentum if I was dealing with a hazard setter.
I usually try to KO frail leads like Smeargle or the occasional Breloom lead right away with Brave Bird. Defog is there in case they managed to set up their hazards in the early or late stages, and has nice synergy with Hypnosis due to the evasion drop and if Sleep clause isn't activated yet. Cross Poison is to deal with certain fairies however the damage output isn't something really impressive.
Hypnosis is nice and all but sometimes missing with it can get really annoying.

I usually switch to Ferrothorn to tank the electric/rock/psychic/ice attacks while Blastoise can take the ice attacks.

Durian II (Ferrothorn) @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 48 Def / 208 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Power Whip
- Spikes
- Stealth Rock

My defensive hazard setter. It's a generic Ferrothorn whose purpose is to try to stay as long on the field as possible to set as many hazards as it can while staying alive. My main concern regarding Ferrothorn is that opponents love to set up on it while all the hazards I slowly set up can be spinned/blown away. Besides that, almost everything seems to learn some form of Fire or fighting attacks that could surprise kill it or put pressure on me to stay in.

If I predict the fire attacks, I usually switch to Blastoise or Hydreigon while switching to Gliscor or Crobat for the fighting attacks.

The Flusher (Blastoise) @ Blastoisinite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Aura Sphere
- Dark Pulse
- Water Pulse

My bulky rapid spinner that could take hits and fight back. Dark Pulse is there is completely deter or KO spinblockers that came in to block the Rapid Spin (it's able to OHKO Aegislash in shield forme). Aura Sphere allows me to deal with Ferrothorn and scare away Tyranitar. Water Pulse is mainly there as a reliable STAB move that can potentially confuse the enemy for extra hax. Despite having no surefire way to kill dragons, it can be used to scare them away and using the chance to spin.

While its damage and bulkiness is impressive, I can't help but noticed that it is completely walled by Azumarill which loves to come in and potentially set up a Belly Drum. Besides that, no recovery in any form really impacts its survivability.

I switch to Gliscor/Hydreigon/Ferrothorn if I predict the electric attacks or Talonflame/Hydreigon/Ferrothorn/Crobat for the grass ones.

Venom Demon (Gliscor) @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 244 HP / 40 Def / 224 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Toxic
- Substitute
- Protect

Gliscor is there to serve as check to most physically offensive pokemon. The classic SubToxic set is still really reliable in most scenarios. This guy has problems dealing with certain setup sweepers though, especially dragons that could hit it on its special side like Dragonite or Salamence.

Blastoise covers the water and Ice weaknesses in general. Or i'll switch back into Ferrothorn to threaten them.

Orochi (Hydreigon) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon

This guy is my nuker whose sole purpose is to dent the members of the opponents team so my Talonflame and other pokemon can clean them easier. Dark Pulse is the most reliable option since Steel lost their resistance to Dark and Ghost attacks. Draco Meteor is the most powerful option but need to watch out for the opponent's steels or fairies. Fire Blast is to get rid of Bug/Steel pokemon while Flash Cannon is to get those Fairies that try to switch in.

The main problem with this guy is the obvious fairy weakness and kinda slow speed especially compared to other dragons.

Gliscor can take the fighting and bug attacks quite handily for this guy. Blastoise for the Ice ones and if Dragon pokemon comes in I'll usually just try to hit them anyway with whatever move i'm still locked in and dent them so Talonflame can pick them off. (Yeah, I know this isn't efficient)

Scorching (Talonflame) @ Sky Plate
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Atk / 164 Spd / 92 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Bulk Up
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

This guy is the main reason I have both a Spinner AND a Defogger on the same team. I originally had A Volcarona in this spot but since I find Talonflame both pretty annoying and interesting at the same time, I've decided to replace the bug with the bird.

Talonflame is something like my panic button. In case my opponent gets too many offensive boosts (Quiver Dance, Speed Boost, Shell Smash, Dragon Dance etc) or/and one of my Pokemon got defeated, I usually used him to revenge kill with Priority Brave Bird. Flare Blitz is there to hit what Brave Bird can't hit hard enough (except Rock pokemon). The Sky Plate is to bluff a choiced set with the damage output.

I'll try to set up Bulk Up whenever possible to increase the offensive pressure and Roost off the recoil damage.

I find myself threatened by certain Dragon pokemon and have to resort to Talonflame to deal with them.

Thanks for taking the time to read all through this, hopefully you guys can help me with improving my team. :)

Couple things I notice:

-Greninja REALLY beats this team up with Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Taunt (for Ferrothorn), because he's much faster than most, if not all, of what your team (with the exception of Crobat, and Crobat better kill him fast, because a STAB Ice Beam from Greninja will probably OHKO it). Rotom-Wash is another one to look out for, he not only complete cockblocks your Talonflame, Hydro Pump will OHKO Gliscor, and Volt Switch will really put the hurt on Crobat and Blastoise. Will-O-Wisp really hurts you too, as most of your team members are physical attackers.
-Beware surprise Ice Punches/Fire Punches when you're not expecting them (Mega-Kangaskhan comes to mind).
-Don't rely TOO much on Talonflame as your "Oh, Shit!" button, Extreme Speed from certain popular threats (Mega-Lucario and Dragonite, specifically) hits it pretty damn hard, and it has priority over Brave Bird.

Couple things I notice:

-Greninja REALLY beats this team up with Ice Beam/Hydro Pump/Taunt (for Ferrothorn), because he's much faster than most, if not all, of what your team (with the exception of Crobat, and Crobat better kill him fast, because a STAB Ice Beam from Greninja will probably OHKO it). Rotom-Wash is another one to look out for, he not only complete cockblocks your Talonflame, Hydro Pump will OHKO Gliscor, and Volt Switch will really put the hurt on Crobat and Blastoise. Will-O-Wisp really hurts you too, as most of your team members are physical attackers.
-Beware surprise Ice Punches/Fire Punches when you're not expecting them (Mega-Kangaskhan comes to mind).
-Don't rely TOO much on Talonflame as your "Oh, Shit!" button, Extreme Speed from certain popular threats (Mega-Lucario and Dragonite, specifically) hits it pretty damn hard, and it has priority over Brave Bird.
I'm thinking of replacing Ferrothorn, Hazards doesn't seem worth it when I don't have a spinblocker. To counter most of the threats you mentioned. It seems like Mega Venusaur is a reliable option. Doing so means I have to sack Mega Blastoise, however I think he is replaceable with Starmie. Your thoughts on this?

I'm thinking of replacing Ferrothorn, Hazards doesn't seem worth it when I don't have a spinblocker. To counter most of the threats you mentioned. It seems like Mega Venusaur is a reliable option. Doing so means I have to sack Mega Blastoise, however I think he is replaceable with Starmie. Your thoughts on this?
I think Ferrothorn could easily be removed and replaced with something else. You could still have Stealth Rock if you took put it on Gliscor instead of Earthquake. If you don't have hazards at all, I'm not sure that you absolutely really need a spinner, since Crobat's Defog will remove them as needed (although Crobat does have that unfortunate weakness to Stealth Rock).

I think Magnezone would be great on this team, as you would then have at least 1 resist to EVERY type of move, be able to deal with fairies well thanks to STAB Flash Cannon, and trap opposing Steel-Types like Skarmory.

I think a build like this would work well for you:

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 84 Spd / 252 SAtk / 172 HP
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

You could then (fairly) safely keep Mega-Blastoise. Or switch him out for something else, maybe a Belly Drum Azumarill or a different mega (Mega-Scizor might be worth looking at). Or hell, consider a Greninja of your own. The one on my team does wonders for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)