Breeding Perfect Pokemon in Pokemon X&Y

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I understand that Sprocket is looking to do an update of the breeding guide for Gen 6, but I think there's definitely room for making a quick guide to breeding flawless Pokemon for people familiar with older breeding mechanics. So long as we introduce it as such and not a comprehensive guide, I think this would be awesome information to have on site. I've run it by a few already (Theorymon ) about getting this on site, so I'll go ahead and post this here. Please offer criticism and changes for me to implement, I'd like to see this on site quickly!

----

Breeding Pokemon in previous generations was an enormous pain. Even if you put a huge amount of effort into breeding a Pokemon, very little would come out, and you'd likely be stuck with a subpar Pokemon with flawed IVs. Generation VI, however, has made some major changes that make breeding much easier. Here, I will walk you through the important breeding mechanics and how to use these mechanics to breed a flawless Pokemon.

Do note that throughout this guide, I will speak assuming you know many of the fundamentals of breeding (for example, Male Species 1 + Female Species 2 will always breed Species 2) and cover competitively relevant and recently changed mechanics. This guide is mainly designed to get previous breeders up to speed.

Important Breeding Mechanics:
These are the essential mechanics to be aware of when you set out to breed your flawless Pokemon. For veteran breeders, even if many of these mechanics seem familiar, be sure to glance through them as multiple mechanics have been changed over the last four generations.

Flame Body & Magma Armor
A mechanic that's been a mainstay since Pokemon Emerald, the abilities Flame Body & Magma Armor will cut the time it takes to hatch a Pokemon by half. You should always have a Pokemon with one of these abilities in your party whenever you breed. The easiest and far and away best Pokemon to use for this job is Fletchinder or Talonflame, as both are extremely easy to access and allow you to fly to the IV checker without wasting another Pokemon slot on a Fly user.

The Hatching O-Power
A new mechanic in Pokemon X&Y is the activation of O-Powers. O-Powers grant you a number of useful in-battle and overworld affects, including a power that temporarily speeds up Hatching rate. To find this O-Power, you must obtain every other O-Power in the game, then talk to Mr.Bonding in Café Introversion in Lumiose City once you have maximum style.

The IV Checker
In Kiloude City's Pokemon Center, you can find a purple-haired Ace Trainer that can tell you the potential (IVs) of your Pokemon. If any of its IVs are flawless, the trainer will list out your Pokemon's flawless IVs followed by a message that those stats "can't be beat!" Additionally, should one of your Pokemon have an IV of 0 in any stat, he will point it out to you with a negative mention of that stat. This is very useful for breeding Trick Room Pokemon.

Certain wild Pokemon will always have flawless IVs
The Friend Safari is a new feature in Pokemon X&Y that allows you to catch Pokemon not normally found over the course of the game. What's more notable is that every single Pokemon you catch in the Friend Safari will always have two flawless IVs. For passing down flawless IVs, the Pokemon here are an excellent place to start. Dittos can be caught here as well, if you have the right friends.

Additionally, there's a new mechanic to X&Y where Pokemon that cannot breed (not even with Ditto, so no Magnemites or Dittos) will always be granted three flawless IVs. This group mainly consists of legendary Pokemon, but it also includes baby Pokemon such as Azurill, Budew, and Mantyke that can eventually be made breedable. This is another excellent place to start passing down flawless IVs.

Both parents pass down egg moves
A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves, parents of either sex pass down egg moves as of X&Y. This makes it possible to use parents with the best IVs, even if one would need to be a Ditto acting as a male Pokemon or another male without egg moves. Also note that for some reason, TM moves are no longer passed down at all.

Males pass on hidden abilities too, but only with Ditto
Forget the Entralink RNG from Generation V: Pokemon can now pass down that hidden ability even if you're male. This is the only situation where male Pokemon will pass on a hidden ability. Pairing an Impostor Ditto with a non-hidden ability Pokemon will not generate a child with a hidden ability. Similarly, a hidden ability male will not pass down its ability if it's paired with a non-hidden ability female of the same species.

Female non-Ditto Pokemon now pass along their PokéBalls
This is a pretty minor change, but if you enjoy having matching / contrasting Poké Balls, your bred Pokemon can have them too. All female Pokemon will pass down their Poké Balls, unless it's a Ditto acting as a female. I recommend that if you're breeding anything that will eventually use Return or Draco Meteor when fully trained, you breed it in a Luxury Ball to get the happiness up very quickly.

Everstone
This is actually a change that's been in effect for a while now, but a few of us might have been disconnected with traditional breeding for so long as to not have heard of this. The Everstone now always passes down the nature of the parent holding it. No longer will your perfect breeds be spoiled by a wrong nature. Additionally, unlike in DPP, it does not matter which parent holds the Everstone when breeding.

Power Items
Power Items will always pass down the parent's IV for the stat the Power Item grants EVs for. This is useful if you wish to pass down IVs for Hidden Power, for Trick Room Pokemon, or for specific situations listed further below. Note that using a Power Item on one parent and another Power Item on the other will cause either of their IVs to chain down, not both. Primarily though, for breeding, you'll want to rely on the Everstone and the...

Destiny Knot
And here we have by far the most wonderful and significant change to breeding with X&Y. If either of your parents holds the Destiny Knot, the parents will pass down a whopping five IVs to their children. With this item, it has become significantly easier to chain IVs onto Pokemon and easily receive a perfect Pokemon.

With our important new breeding mechanics out of the way, it's time to start breeding perfect Pokemon.

Breeding Perfect Pokemon:

To start, catch whatever Pokemon you wish to breed. Then, head to the Friend Safari and catch several potential parents in compatible egg groups for your target bred Pokemon. If the Pokemon you wish to breed that you caught earlier does not already have the nature you want to pass down, I recommend leading with a Pokemon with the Synchronize ability when catching your Friend Safari parents to get your desired nature. For parents, Dittos are the most flexible option if you have access to them. Baby Pokemon are also an option for this part if you have any in the right egg group / limited Friend Safari access.

Now, with several parents on hand, develop a strategy for chaining down IVs. The general strategy is to breed two parents together until their child has all the relevant flawless IVs that a final parent lacks. Once that child is bred, breed the child with the final parent until you get your final target. Along the way, if a child is born that outclasses either of the parents, replace that child with the superior child to increase your chances of getting your desired final product. Remember to preserve your nature with either of your parents with the Everstone and to make sure that one of the parents is holding the Destiny Knot for the entire time.

Example:
I want to breed a Timid, flawless in all stats but attack Charizard. To start, I caught a Charmeleon and two Dittos from the Friend Safari. One of the Dittos was Timid thanks to a Timid Pokemon with Synchronize I had at the front of my party. Charmeleon's IVs are 31 / x / x / x / 31 / x. The Timid Ditto’s IVs are x / x / x / x / 31 / 31. The non-Timid Ditto's IVs are x / x / 31 / 31 / x / x.

Now, to start breeding, I gave the Charmeleon a Destiny Knot and my Timid Ditto an Everstone. After several eggs, I want to get a Charmander with IVs of 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 or better. Both Pokemon were left in the day care and got busy.

A few eggs later, I received the 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 Charmander I wanted. Now, I just needed to pass down my final Ditto’s perfect IVs for my target flawless Charmander. The two are paired together again and start breeding.

Eventually, a male 31 / x / x / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander was born. Since this Charmander was objectively better than my current parent Charmander and gives me a higher chance to pass down my wanted IV combination, I took my old Charmander out of the day-care and put the new Charmander in. Though it did not happen for me, if any children had spawned that were objectively better than their parents along the way, I would have replaced the parent with their superior child.

Once I start working with quad-flawless parents from this process, it’s only a matter of time until my 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander is bred!

Breeding MORE flawless Pokemon:

Once you have a perfect Pokemon on hand, repeating this process is substantially easier. You already have a flawless parent to pass down IVs to new Pokemon if your final product was male. If your final product was female and can't pass down IVs to other species of Pokemon, you can still use any outstanding male parents that you may have bred along the way. Going back to my previous example, if I ever want to breed something in the Monster or Dragon egg groups, I have my Charizard to use as an awesome parent!

With this in mind, it might be best to think a little bit on what to breed first. Aim to get Pokemon with low Egg Cycles that are in multiple egg groups such as Gyarados or Azumarill. Other good candidates include Pokemon such as Smeargle, which can easily contribute to a huge array of breeding chains, both with IVs and with egg moves.

Extra Tips and Information:

Finally, here are a few tips and tricks. If you're looking to make your breeding process more efficient after digesting the basic information above, some of the information here might help you get your final result quicker. Note that from here onwards, x2, x3, x4, and x5 refer to the number of relevant flawless IVs.

Use of the Power Items

Even though using the Destiny Knot and Everstone can easily net you a perfect Pokemon, there are certain situations where momentarily ignoring nature and focusing on IV inheritance with the Power items and Destiny Knot can make the breeding process quicker. Using Power Items + Destiny Knot is most useful when you want to pass down raw IVs. A few specific situations where this may prove useful or should be avoided are listed below, but this list is not all inclusive.

Situations in which you should consider Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

Escaping the 1 / 24 plateau

The "1 / 24 plateau" refers to the usually frustratingly lengthy period of time before getting the final product once you have two x4 31 Pokemon of the correct nature in the daycare. Giving a power item to one parent (and the Destiny Knot to the other) so the flawless IV the other parent lacks is always inherited can modify this process to speed it up slightly. With a power item, you have a 1 / 10 chance (1 / 5 of all the right IVs being inherited, 1 / 2 of the other parents IV being inherited) of a receiving a x5 IV parent, albeit with the wrong nature. From here, you can substitute in the x5 IV wrong natured parent for either parent and continue breeding with the correct nature parent holding the Everstone. The chance of receiving a flawless egg is now 1 / 12. This doesn't save a great deal of effort, and will have you breeding an extra set of competitively useless parents in the process, but narrowing down your chances can prove useful if you're frustrated with your x4 IV parents taking too long. It's a case of whether you want to work with two higher chances or one lower one.

Situations in which you should avoid Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

x5 IV wrong-natured parent + x3-4 IV right-natured parent.

In this case, replacing either parent with one of their offspring later in the breeding process is not worth it. Any egg that hatches and is of the x5 parents gender will be worse than or equal to the x5 parent, while any egg that hatches of the x3 IV parent's gender will not preserve the nature.

x5 IV right-natured parent + x4 IV right-natured parent.

The chances of getting a flawless final product with a correct nature in this case is 1 / 12. Should you use a Power Item, you lower this chance to 1 / 10 , but only for obtaining flawless IVs. Because of this, you need to do a second cycle with a 1 / 6 chance of generating your desired final product. The likelihood increase on the first cycle is easily not worth the entire extra cycle.

Breeding Likelyhoods
If you're curious about your chances of obtaining a certain offspring from your parents, check out the Pokemon X/Y - IV Breeding Probability Calculator by Agnaktor. The calculator currently works only with the Destiny Knot and Everstone, but it's an excellent way to gauge how long a particular breed will take.

Last edited:
I think this needs to be HTMLed as well, but I'm not sure how you'd want to do that, and I think you can do that on your own. So I'm gonna amcheck the grammar stuff ^______^
additions
subtractions

comments

Breeding Pokemon for the last four generations has been an enormous pain. For what the huge effort you put into a Pokemon, very little came out(try rewording the bolded part as i have no idea what you mean by it, maybe something like 'isn't worth it'?) as you'd still be stuck with a subpar Pokemon with flawed IVs. Generation VI six, however, has made some major changes that make breeding much easier. Here, I will walk you through important breeding mechanics and how to use these mechanics to breed a flawless Pokemon.

Do note that throughout this guide, I will speak assuming you know many of the fundamentals of breeding (ex: for example, Male Species 1 + Female Species 2 will always breed Species 2) and covering cover competitively relevant and recently changed mechanics.

These are essential mechanics to be aware of when you set out to breed your flawless Pokemon. For veteran breeders, even if many of these mechanics seem familiar, be sure to glance through them as multiple mechanics have been changed over the last 4 four generations.

Flame Body & Magma Armor
A mechanic that's been a mainstay since Pokemon Emerald, the abilities Flame Body & Magma Armor will cut the time it takes to hatch a Pokemon by about half. You should always have a Pokemon with either of these abilities in your party whenever you breed. The easiest and far and away best Pokemon to use for this job is Fletchinder or Talonflame, as both are extremely easy to access and allow you to fly to the IV checker without swapping out your flame body Flame Body user to fly.

The Hatching O-Power
A new mechanic to Pokemon X&Y are the O-Powers. O-Powers grant you a number of useful in battle and overworld affects, including a power that speeds up Hatching rate. To find this O-Power, you must obtain every other O-Power in the game, then talk to Mr.O-Power in Cafe Introversion in Lumiose City once you have maximum style.

The IV Checker
In Kiloude City's Pokemon center Pokémon Center, you can find a purple-(AH)haired trainer that can tell you the potential (IVs) of your Pokemon. If any of its IVs are flawless, the trainer will list out your Pokemon's flawless IVs followed by a message that those stats "can't be beat!" Additionally, should one of your Pokemon have an IV of 0 in any stat, he will point it out to you with a negative mention of that stat. This is very useful for breeding Trick Room Pokemon.

Certain wild Pokemon will always have flawless IVs- The friend safari Friend Safari is a new feature in Pokemon X&Y that allows you to catch Pokemon not normally found over the course of the game. What’s What's more notable is that every single Pokemon you catch in the friend safari Friend Safari will always have two flawless IVs. For passing down flawless IVs, starting with Pokemon here is an excellent place to start. Not to mention,(RC) that Dittos can be caught here as well.

Additionally, there’s there's a new mechanic to X&Y where Pokemon that cannot breed (not even with Ditto, so no Magnemites or Dittos) will always be granted three flawless IVs. This group mainly consists of legendary Pokemon, but it also includes baby Pokemon like such as Azurill, Budew, and Mantyke that can eventually be made breedable. This is another excellent place to start to passing down flawless IVs.

Both parents pass down egg moves- A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves, parents of either sex pass down egg moves as of X&Y. This makes it possible to use parents with the best IVs you have, even if one would need to be a male ditto Ditto or another male without egg moves. Also note that for some reason, TM moves are no longer passed down at all.

Males pass on hidden abilities too, but only with Ditto- Forget 5th gen entralink Entralink RNG, you can now pass down that hidden ability even if you're male. Note that pairing an Impostor Ditto with a non-hidden ability Pokemon will NOT generate a child with a hidden ability. Also, a hidden ability male will not pass down it's its ability if it's paired with a regular female of the same species.

Female non-Ditto Pokemon now pass along their Pokeballs Poké Balls- This is a pretty minor change, but if you enjoy having matching / contrasting Pokeballs Poké Balls, your bred Pokemon can have them too. All female Pokemon will pass down their Pokeballs Poké Balls, unless it's a Ditto acting as a female. I recommend that if you're breeding anything that will eventually use Return when fully trained, you breed it in a Luxury Ball to get the happiness up very quickly.

Everstone- This is actually a change that’s that's been in effect for a while now, but a few of us might have been disconnected with traditional breeding for so as long as(only way i felt it could be reworded)to not have heard of this. The Everstone now ALWAYS passes down the nature of the parent holding it. No longer will your perfect breeds be spoiled by a wrong nature. Additionally, if you haven’t haven't bred since DPP, male Pokemon can pass down natures with the Everstone as well(this makes it sound like you get this only if you haven't played DPP.....).

Power Items- Power Items will always pass down the Parent’s parent's IV for the stat the Power Item grants EVs for. This is useful if you wish to pass down IVs for Hidden Power, for Trick Room Pokemon, or for specific situations listed farther below. Note that using a Power Item item on one parent and another Power item Item on the other will cause either of their IVs to chain down, not both. Primarily though, for breeding, you'll want to rely on the Everstone and the...

Destiny Knot- And here we have by far the most wonderful and significant change to breeding with X&Y. If either of your parents holds the Destiny Knot, the parents will pass down a whopping five IVs to the baby Pokemon. With this item, it has become significantly easier to chain IVs on to Pokemon and easily receive perfect Pokemon.(AP)

With our important new breeding mechanics out of the way, it’s it's time to start breeding perfect Pokemon!(i believe that's what you intended to add)

To start, catch whatever Pokemon you wish to breed. Then, head to the friend safari Friend Safari and catch several potential parents in compatible egg groups for your target bred Pokemon. If the Pokemon you wish to breed you caught earlier does not already have the nature you want to pass down, I recommend using a synchronizer when catching your friend safari parents to get your desired nature. For parents, Dittos are the most flexible option if you have access to them. Baby Pokemon are also an option for this part if you have any in the right egg group / limited friend safari access.

Now, with several parents on hand, develop a strategy for chaining down IVs. The general strategy is to breed two parents together until their child has all the relevant flawless IVs that a final parent lacks. Once that child is bred, breed the child with the final parent until you get your final target. Along the way, if a child is born that outclasses either of the parents, replace that child with the inferior parent to increase your chances of getting your desired final product. Remember to preserve your nature with either of your parents with the Everstone and to make sure at least one parent is holding the destiny knot this Destiny Knot for the entire time.

Example: I want to breed a Timid Flawless flawless Charizard. To start, I caught a Charmeleon, and two Dittos from the friend safari Friend Safari. One of the Dittos was timid thanks to a timid synchronizer Synchronize user(???) I had at the front of my party. Charmeleon’s Charmeleon's IVs are 31(space)/()x/()x()/()x/()31()/()x. The Timid Ditto’s IVs are x/x/x/x/31/31 same spacing as i changed before. The non-Timid Ditto’s Ditto's IVs are x/x/31/31/x/x again.

Now, to start breeding.,(AC)(flows better imo) I gave the Charmeleon a Destiny Knot and my Timid Ditto an Everstone. After several eggs, I want(went?) to get a Charmander with the IVs of 31/x/x/x/31/31 spaces or better. Both were left in at the day care and got busy(who got busy).

A few eggs later, I received the 31/x/x/x/31/31 Charmander I wanted. Now, I just needed to pass down my final Ditto’s Ditto's perfect IVs for my target flawless Charmander. The two are paired together again and start breeding.(just wondering, what tense is this breeding thing in? you've put past tense and present tense, so quite confused...please standardize that)

Eventually, a male 31/x/x/31/31/31 male Charmander was born. Since this Charmander is objectively better than my current Charmander I’m I'm using as a parent and gives me a higher chance to pass down my wanted IV combination, I took my old Charmander out of the day-(RH)care and put the new Charmander in. Along the way, if any children spawn that are objectively better than their parents, I replace the parent with their superior child.

Once I start working with quad-flawless parents from this process, it’s only a matter of time until my 31/x/31/31/31/31 Charmander is bred!

Once you have a perfect Pokemon on hand, repeating this process is substantially more easy easier. You already have a flawless parent to pass down IVs to new Pokemon if your final product was male. If your final product was female and can’t can't pass down IVs to other species of Pokemon, you can still use any outstanding male “spitback” "spitback" parents that led to your flawless Pokemon. Going back to my previous example, if I ever want to breed something in the Monster or Dragon egg groups, I have my Charizard to use as an awesome parent!

With this in mind, it might be best to think a little bit on what to breed first. Aim to get Pokemon with low Egg Cycles that are in multiple egg groups like such as Gyarados or Azumarill would be wise to get good future parents fairly quickly. Other good candidates include Pokemon like such as Smeargle who ,which can easily contribute to a huge array of breeding chains, both with IVs and with egg moves.

Finally, here are a few tips and tricks. If you're looking to make your breeding process more efficient after digesting the basic information above, some information here might help you get your final result quicker. Note that from here onwards, x2, x3, x4, and x5 refer to the number of relevant flawless IVs.

Use of the Power Items

While using the Destiny Knot + Everstone can easily net you a perfect Pokemon, there are certain situations where momentarily ignoring nature and focusing on IV inheritance with the Power items and Destiny Knot can make the breeding process quicker. Using Power Items + Destiny Knot is most useful when you want to pass down raw IVs. A few specific situations where this may prove useful or should be avoided are listed below, but this list is not all inclusive.

Situations to consider Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

Escaping the 1/24 plateau

The "1/24 plateau" refers to the usually frustratingly lengthy period of getting the final product once you have two x4 31 Pokemon of the correct nature in the daycare. Giving a power item to one parent (and the Destiny Knot to the other) so the flawless IV the other parent lacks is always inherited can modify this process to speed it up slightly. With a power item, you have a 1/10 chance (1/5 of all the write right IVs being inherited, 1/2 of the other parents IV being inherited) of a receiving a x5 IV parent, albeit with the wrong nature. From here, you can substitute in the x5 IV wrong natured parent for either parent and continue breeding, the wrong nature parent holding a Destiny Knot and the correct nature parent holding the Everstone. The chance of receiving a flawless egg is now 1/12. This doesn't save a great deal of effort, and will have you breeding an extra set of competitively useless parents in the process, but narrowing down your chances can prove useful if you're frustrated with your x4 IV parents taking too long. It's a case of whether you want to work with two higher chances or one lower one.

Situations to avoid Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

x5 IV wrong natured parent + x3-4 IV right natured parent.

In this case, replacing either parent with one of their offspring later in the breeding process is not worth it. Any egg that hatches of the x5 parents gender will be worse or equal to the x5 parent, while any egg that hatches of the x3 IV parents gender will not preserve the nature.

x5 IV right nature parent + x4 IV right natured parent.

The chances of getting a flawless final product with a correct nature in this case is 1/12. Should you use a Power Item, you lower this chance to 1/10 , but only for obtaining flawless IVs. Because of this, you need to do a second cycle with a 1/6 chance of generating your desired final product. The likelihood increase on the first cycle is easily not worth the entire extra cycle.

Breeding Likelyhoods likelihoods
Here, I'll be calculating the likeliness of you to breed your target Pokemon. The objective of this section is to provide you with a few probabilities to figure out the best method for breeding your target Pokemon. All calculations use a Destiny Knot and Everstone unless stated otherwise. No calculations leading to x2 are included, as simply passing along IVs with the use of Power Items is really easy up to that point. Additionally, the 1/32 chance of generating a flawless IV is ignored in these calculations with the exception of calculations needed for breeding flawless Pokemon.

Breeding Early On

Chance of breeding a x3 parent off of two x2 parents with an overlapping flawless IV:
1/8 (1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/2 Correct IV inherited * 3/6 useful IVs are not ignored)

Chance of breeding a x4 parent off of two x3 parents with two overlapping stats:
1/12 (1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/2 Correct IV inherited * 2/6 useful IVs are not ignored)

Breeding x5 Flawless IV Pokemon (Flawless for Pokemon that do not need Attack / Special Attack)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from two x4 parents with different imperfect IVs:
1/24 (1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from two x4 parents with different imperfect IVs with Power Item + Destiny Knot (Power Item passes down an IV the other parent does not have a perfect IV in):
1/10 (1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/5 Irrelevant stat not inherited) (note: x5 IV Pokemon will have incorrect nature)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from x5 and x4 IV parents:
1/12 (1/2 Correct IV inherited * 1/6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from two x5 IV parents:
1/6 (1/6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

Breeding Flawless Pokemon:

Chance of breeding a x6 IV Pokemon off of two x5 parents with different imperfect IVs:
1/128 (1/2 Correct IV inheritance * 1/2 Correct IV inheritance *1/32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 IV Pokemon off of two x5 parents with the same imperfect IVs:
1/196 (1/6 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1/32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 IV Pokemon off of a x6 and x5 parent:
11/384 (~1/35) (11/12 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1/32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 Pokemon off of two x6 Parents:(colon)
1/32
(1/32 Max IV generated)

Last edited:

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hope you don't mind me doing this in parts, due to the size. It'll probably be two or three. Just hold tight.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
Breeding Pokemon in the last previous generations has been an enormous pain. For the huge amount of effort you would put into breeding a Pokemon, very little would come out, and you'd still be stuck with a subpar Pokemon with flawed IVs. Generation VI, however, has made some major changes that make breeding much easier. Here, I will walk you through important breeding mechanics and how to use these mechanics to breed a flawless Pokemon.

Do note that throughout this guide, I will speak assuming you know many of the fundamentals of breeding (for example, Male Species 1 + Female Species 2 will always breed Species 2) and cover competitively relevant and recently changed mechanics. This guide is mainly suited to get previous breeders up to speed.

These are the essential mechanics to be aware of when you set out to breed your flawless Pokemon. For veteran breeders, even if many of these mechanics seem familiar, be sure to glance through them as multiple mechanics have been changed over the last four generations.

Flame Body & Magma Armor
A mechanic that's been a mainstay since Pokemon Emerald, the abilities Flame Body & Magma Armor will cut the time it takes to hatch a Pokemon by about half. You should always have a Pokemon with either of these abilities in your party whenever you breed. The easiest and far and away best Pokemon to use for this job is Fletchinder or Talonflame, as both are extremely easy to access and allow you to fly to the IV checker without swapping out your Flame Body user to fly.

The Hatching O-Power
A new mechanic to Pokemon X&Y are the O-Powers. O-Powers grant you a number of useful in battle and overworld affects, including a power that speeds up Hatching rate. To find this O-Power, you must obtain every other O-Power in the game, then talk to Mr.O-Power in Cafe Introversion in Lumiose City once you have maximum style.

The IV Checker
In Kiloude City's Pokemon Center, you can find a purple-haired trainer that can tell you the potential (IVs) of your Pokemon. If any of its IVs are flawless, the trainer will list out your Pokemon's flawless IVs followed by a message that those stats "can't be beat!" Additionally, should one of your Pokemon have an IV of 0 in any stat, he will point it out to you with a negative mention of that stat. This is very useful for breeding Trick Room Pokemon.

Certain wild Pokemon will always have flawless IVs [[added the break so the subtitling is consistent. You do it everywhere else, so assume that subtitles are line breaks. I'll make a mark just in case to remind you.]]
The Friend Safari is a new feature in Pokemon X&Y that allows you to catch Pokemon not normally found over the course of the game. What's more notable is that every single Pokemon you catch in the Friend Safari will always have two flawless IVs. For passing down flawless IVs, starting with Pokemon here is an excellent place to start. Not to mention, that Dittos can be caught here as well, if you have the right friends.

Additionally, there's a new mechanic to X&Y where Pokemon that cannot breed (not even with Ditto, so no Magnemites or Dittos) will always be granted three flawless IVs. This group mainly consists of legendary Pokemon, but it also includes baby Pokemon such as Azurill, Budew, and Mantyke that can eventually be made breedable. This is another excellent place to start passing down flawless IVs.

Both parents pass down egg moves [[]]
A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves, parents of either sex pass down egg moves as of X&Y. This makes it possible to use parents with the best IVs you have, even if one would need to be a Ditto acting as a male Pokemon or another male without egg moves. Also note that for some reason, TM moves are no longer passed down at all.

Males pass on hidden abilities too, but only with Ditto [[]]
Forget the Entralink RNG from Generation V: Pokemon can now pass down that hidden ability even if they're male. Note that pairing an Impostor Ditto with a non-hidden ability Pokemon will <strong>not</strong> generate a child with a hidden ability. Also, a hidden ability male will not pass down its ability if it's paired with a regular female of the same species.

Female, non-Ditto Pokemon now pass along their PokéBalls [[]]
This is a pretty minor change, but if you enjoy having matching / contrasting Poké Balls, your bred Pokemon can have them too. All female Pokemon will pass down their Poké Balls, unless it's a Ditto acting as a female. I recommend that if you're breeding anything that will eventually use Return or Draco Meteor when fully trained, you breed it in a Luxury Ball to get the happiness up very quickly.

Everstone[[]]
This is actually a change that's been in effect for a while now, but a few of us might have been disconnected with traditional breeding for so long as to not have heard of this. The Everstone now <strong>always</strong> passes down the nature of the parent holding it. No longer will your perfect breeds be spoiled by a wrong nature. Additionally, unlike in Generation IV, it does not matter which parent holds the Everstone when breeding.

Power Items[[]]
Power Items will always pass down the parent's IV for the stat the Power Item grants EVs for. This is useful if you wish to pass down IVs for Hidden Power, for Trick Room Pokemon, or for specific situations listed further below. Note that using a Power Item on one parent and another Power Item on the other will cause either of their IVs to chain down, not both. Primarily though, for breeding, you'll want to rely on the Everstone and the...

Destiny Knot[[]]
And here we have by far the most wonderful and significant change to breeding with X&Y. If either of your parents holds the Destiny Knot, <strong>the parents will pass down a whopping five IVs</strong> to its children the baby Pokemon. With this item, it has become significantly easier to chain IVs onto Pokemon and easily receive a perfect Pokemon.

With our important new breeding mechanics out of the way, it's time to start breeding perfect Pokemon.

To start, catch whatever Pokemon you wish to breed. Then, head to the Friend Safari and catch several potential parents in compatible egg groups for your target bred Pokemon. If the Pokemon you wish to breed that you caught earlier does not already have the nature you want to pass down, I recommend using a synchronizer when catching your Friend Safari parents to get your desired nature. For parents, Dittos are the most flexible option if you have access to them. Baby Pokemon are also an option for this part if you have any in the right egg group / limited Friend Safari access.

Now, with several parents on hand, develop a strategy for chaining down IVs. The general strategy is to breed two parents together until their child has all the relevant flawless IVs that a final parent lacks. Once that child is bred, breed the child with the final parent until you get your final target. Along the way, if a child is born that outclasses either of the parents, replace that parent with the superior child to increase your chances of getting your desired final product. Remember to preserve your nature with either of your parents with the Everstone and to make sure at least one parent is holding the Destiny Knot for the entire time.

Example: I want to breed a Timid, flawless Charizard. To start, I caught a Charmeleon, and two Dittos from the Friend Safari. One of the Dittos was Timid thanks to a Timid Pokemon with Synchronize I had at the front of my party. Charmeleon's IVs are 31 / x / x / x / 31 / x. The Timid Ditto’s IVs are x / x / x / x / 31 / 31. The non-Timid Ditto's IVs are x / x / 31 / 31 / x / x.

Now, to start breeding, I gave the Charmeleon a Destiny Knot and my Timid Ditto an Everstone. After several eggs, I want to get a Charmander with the IVs of 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 or better. Both Pokemon were left in the day care and got busy.

A few eggs later, I received the 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 Charmander I wanted. Now, I just needed to pass down my final Ditto's [[had a weird apostrophe rather than standard]] perfect IVs for my target flawless Charmander. The two are paired together again and start breeding.

Eventually, a male, 31 / x / x / 31 / 31 / 31 male Charmander was born. Since this Charmander was objectively better than my current parent Charmander and gives me a higher chance to pass down my wanted IV combination, I took my old Charmander out of the day-care and put the new Charmander in. Though it did not happen for me, long the way, if any children had spawned that were objectively better than their parents along the way, I would have replaced the parent with their superior child.

Once I start working with quad-flawless parents from this process, it’s only a matter of time until my 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander is bred!

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~

Once you have a perfect Pokemon on hand, repeating this process is substantially easier. You already have a flawless parent to pass down IVs to new Pokemon if your final product was male. If your final product was female and can't pass down IVs to other species of Pokemon, you can still use any outstanding male parents that you may have bred along the way. Going back to my previous example, if I ever want to breed something in the Monster or Dragon egg groups, I have my Charizard to use as an awesome parent!

With this in mind, it might be best to think a little bit on what to breed first. Aim to get Pokemon with low Egg Cycles that are in multiple egg groups, such as Gyarados or Azumarill would be wise to get good future parents fairly quickly. Other good candidates include Pokemon such as Smeargle, which can easily contribute to a huge array of breeding chains, both with IVs and with egg moves.

Finally, here are a few tips and tricks. If you're looking to make your breeding process more efficient after digesting the basic information above, some of the information here might help you get your final result quicker. Note that from here onwards, x2, x3, x4, and x5 refer to the number of relevant flawless IVs.

Use of the Power Items

Even though using the Destiny Knot and Everstone can easily net you a perfect Pokemon, there are certain situations where momentarily ignoring nature and focusing on IV inheritance with the Power items and Destiny Knot can make the breeding process quicker. Using Power Items + Destiny Knot is most useful when you want to pass down raw IVs. A few specific situations where this may prove useful or should be avoided are listed below, but this list is not all inclusive.

Situations to consider Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

The "1 / 24 plateau" refers to the usually frustratingly lengthy period of time before getting the final product once you have two x4 31 Pokemon of the correct nature in the daycare. Giving a power item to one parent (and the Destiny Knot to the other) so the flawless IV the other parent lacks is always inherited can modify this process to speed it up slightly. With a power item, you have a 1 / 10 chance (1 / 5 of all the right IVs being inherited, 1 / 2 of the other parents IV being inherited) of a receiving a x5 IV parent, albeit with the wrong nature. From here, you can substitute in the x5 IV wrong natured parent for either parent and continue breeding, the wrong nature parent holding a Destiny Knot and the correct nature parent holding the Everstone. The chance of receiving a flawless egg is now 1 / 12. This doesn't save a great deal of effort, and will have you breeding an extra set of competitively useless parents in the process, but narrowing down your chances can prove useful if you're frustrated with your x4 IV parents taking too long. It's a case of whether you want to work with two higher chances or one lower one.

Situations to avoid Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

x5 IV wrong natured parent + x3-4 IV right natured parent.

In this case, replacing either parent with one of their offspring later in the breeding process is not worth it. Any egg that hatches and is of the x5 parent's gender will be worse than or equal to the x5 parent, whereas any egg that hatches of the x3 IV parent's gender will not preserve the nature.

x5 IV right natured parent + x4 IV right natured parent.

The chances of getting a flawless final product with a correct nature in this case is 1 / 12. Should you use a Power Item, you lower this chance to 1 / 10 , but only for obtaining flawless IVs. Because of this, you need to do a second cycle with a 1 / 6 chance of generating your desired final product. The likelihood increase on the first cycle is easily not worth the entire extra cycle.

Breeding Likelihoods
Here, I'll be calculating the likeliness of you to breed your target Pokemon. The objective of this section is to provide you with a few probabilities to figure out the best method for breeding your target Pokemon. All calculations use a Destiny Knot and Everstone unless stated otherwise. No calculations leading to x2 are included, as simply passing along IVs with the use of Power Items is really easy up to that point. Additionally, the 1 / 32 chance of generating a flawless IV is ignored in these calculations with the exception of calculations needed for breeding flawless Pokemon.

Breeding Early On

Chance of breeding a x3 parent off of two x2 parents with an overlapping flawless IV:
1 / 8 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 3 / 6 useful IVs are not ignored)

Chance of breeding a x4 parent off of two x3 parents with two overlapping stats:
1 / 12 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 2 / 6 useful IVs are not ignored)

Breeding x5 Flawless IV Pokemon (Flawless for Pokemon that do not need Attack / Special Attack)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from two x4 parents with different imperfect IVs:
1 / 24 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

Chance of breeding a x5 IV Pokemon from two x4 parents with different imperfect IVs with Power Item + Destiny Knot (Power Item passes down an IV the other parent does not have a perfect IV in):
1 / 10 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 5 Irrelevant stat not inherited) (note: x5 IV Pokemon will have incorrect nature)

1 / 12 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

1 / 6 (1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

Chance of breeding a x6 IV Pokemon off of two x5 parents with different imperfect IVs:
1 / 128 (1 / 2 Correct IV inheritance * 1 / 2 Correct IV inheritance *1 / 32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 IV Pokemon off of two x5 parents with the same imperfect IVs:
1 / 196 (1 / 6 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1 / 32 Max IV generated)

11 / 384 (~1 / 35) (11 / 12 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1 / 32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 Pokemon off of two x6 Parents:
1 / 32 (1 / 32 Max IV generated)
Okay, so I neglected that the bottom half was just one line calculations. That's fine. So this took far less time than I thought.

It's also likely that I will be doing the HTML for this as well, and depending on how you want to format it in terms of subtitles and subheaders, I'd say you make that clear in the forum code/BBscript now, and I'll/whoever will tidy it up and HTML that later. EG: in the calculations, you might want to split off "Breeding Flawless Pokemon" and its own sub-sub-header.

otherwise,

GP Approved

Thank you Zystral, implemented your GP check. Only thing I didn't change was the change from DPP -> Generation IV since HGSS had the new everstone mechanics. I left it as is, but if you'd like to make this sounds better while HTMLing, feel free.
It's also likely that I will be doing the HTML for this as well, and depending on how you want to format it in terms of subtitles and subheaders, I'd say you make that clear in the forum code/BBscript now, and I'll/whoever will tidy it up and HTML that later. EG: in the calculations, you might want to split off "Breeding Flawless Pokemon" and its own sub-sub-header.
This may have been lost when you took on implementing the grammar check, but this should already be in effect through the guide. Size 4 text titles = Primary heading / section, bold text titles = secondary heading, underlined text titles = tertiary headings.

Let me know if you need any more explanation / help from me.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Should note that there are three levels to the O-Power, each requiring you to use it three times. Otherwise, looks good TM!

bugmaniacbob

Was fun while it lasted
is an Artist Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Didn't notice the last check was implemented

REMOVE
ADD
COMMENT

Breeding Pokemon in the previous generations has been was an enormous pain. For the Even if you put a huge amount of effort you would put into breeding a Pokemon, very little would come out, and you'd still likely be stuck with a subpar Pokemon with flawed IVs. Generation VI, however, has made some major changes that make breeding much easier. Here, I will walk you through the important breeding mechanics and how to use these mechanics to breed a flawless Pokemon.

Do note that throughout this guide, I will speak assuming you know many of the fundamentals of breeding (for example, Male Species 1 + Female Species 2 will always breed Species 2) and cover competitively relevant and recently changed mechanics. This guide is mainly suited designed to get previous breeders up to speed.

Flame Body & Magma Armor
A mechanic that's been a mainstay since Pokemon Emerald, the abilities Flame Body & Magma Armor will cut the time it takes to hatch a Pokemon by about half. You should always have a Pokemon with either one of these abilities in your party whenever you breed. The easiest and far and away best Pokemon to use for this job is Fletchinder or Talonflame, as both are extremely easy to access and allow you to fly to the IV checker without wasting another Pokemon slot on a Fly user swapping out your Flame Body user to fly.

The Hatching O-Power
A new mechanic to in Pokemon X&Y are is the activation of O-Powers. O-Powers grant you a number of useful in-battle and overworld affects, including a power that temporarily speeds up Hatching rate. To find this O-Power, you must obtain every other O-Power in the game, then talk to Mr.O-Power Mr. Bonding in Cafe Café Introversion in Lumiose City once you have maximum style.

The IV Checker
In Kiloude City's Pokemon Center, you can find a purple-haired trainer Ace Trainer that can tell you the potential (IVs) of your Pokemon. If any of its IVs are flawless, the trainer will list out your Pokemon's flawless IVs followed by a message that those stats "can't be beat!" Additionally, should one of your Pokemon have an IV of 0 in any stat, he will point it out to you with a negative mention of that stat. This is very useful for breeding Trick Room Pokemon.

Certain wild Pokemon will always have flawless IVs
The Friend Safari is a new feature in Pokemon X&Y that allows you to catch Pokemon not normally found over the course of the game. What's more notable is that every single Pokemon you catch in the Friend Safari will always have two flawless IVs. For passing down flawless IVs, starting with the Pokemon here is are an excellent place to start. Dittos can be caught here as well, if you have the right friends.

Both parents pass down egg moves
A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves, parents of either sex pass down egg moves as of X&Y. This makes it possible to use parents with the best IVs, even if one would need to be a Ditto acting as a male Pokemon or another male without egg moves. Also note that for some reason, TM moves are no longer passed down at all.

Males pass on hidden abilities too, but only with Ditto
Forget the Entralink RNG from Generation V: Pokemon can now pass down that hidden ability even if you're male. Note that pairing an Impostor Ditto with a non-hidden ability Pokemon will NOT generate a child with a hidden ability. Also, a hidden ability male will not pass down its ability if it's paired with a regular female of the same species. [so this is only relevant for HA Male + Ditto? Please clarify if so]

Female non-Ditto Pokemon now pass along their PokéBalls

Everstone
This is actually a change that's been in effect for a while now, but a few of us might have been disconnected with traditional breeding for so long as to not have heard of this. The Everstone now always passes down the nature of the parent holding it. No longer will your perfect breeds be spoiled by a wrong nature. Additionally, unlike in DPP, it does not matter which parent holds the Everstone when breeding.

Power Items

Destiny Knot
And here we have by far the most wonderful and significant change to breeding with X&Y. If either of your parents holds the Destiny Knot, the parents will pass down a whopping five IVs to their children. With this item, it has become significantly easier to chain IVs onto Pokemon and easily receive a perfect a Pokemon.

To start, catch whatever Pokemon you wish to breed. Then, head to the Friend Safari and catch several potential parents in compatible egg groups for your target bred Pokemon. If the Pokemon you wish to breed that you caught earlier does not already have the nature you want to pass down, I recommend using a synchronizer Pokemon with the Synchronize ability when catching your Friend Safari parents to get your desired nature. For parents, Dittos are the most flexible option if you have access to them. Baby Pokemon are also an option for this part if you have any in the right egg group / limited Friend Safari access.

Now, with several parents on hand, develop a strategy for chaining down IVs. The general strategy is to breed two parents together until their child has all the relevant flawless IVs that a final parent lacks. Once that child is bred, breed the child with the final parent until you get your final target. Along the way, if a child is born that outclasses either of the parents, replace that child with the superior child to increase your chances of getting your desired final product. Remember to preserve your nature with either of your parents with the Everstone and to make sure at least one parent that one of the parents is holding the Destiny Knot for the entire time.

Example:
I want to breed a Timid, flawless Charizard [you only get a quint-flawless Pokemon at the end of this example, not a hex-flawless one. Maybe clarify this?]. To start, I caught a Charmeleon,(remove) and two Dittos from the Friend Safari. One of the Dittos was Timid thanks to a Timid Pokemon with Synchronize I had at the front of my party. Charmeleon's IVs are 31 / x / x / x / 31 / x. The Timid Ditto’s IVs are x / x / x / x / 31 / 31. The non-Timid Ditto's IVs are x / x / 31 / 31 / x / x.

Now, to start breeding, I gave the Charmeleon a Destiny Knot and my Timid Ditto an Everstone. After several eggs, I want to get a Charmander with IVs of 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 or better. Both Pokemon were left in the day care and got busy.

A few eggs later, I received the 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 Charmander I wanted. Now, I just needed to pass down my final Ditto’s perfect IVs for my target flawless Charmander. The two are paired together again and start breeding.

Eventually, a male 31 / x / x / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander was born. Since this Charmander was objectively better than my current parent Charmander and gives me a higher chance to pass down my wanted IV combination, I took my old Charmander out of the day-care and put the new Charmander in. Though it did not happen for me, if any children had spawned that were objectively better than their parents along the way, I would have replaced the parent with their superior child.

With this in mind, it might be best to think a little bit on what to breed first. Aim to get Pokemon with low Egg Cycles that are in multiple egg groups such as Gyarados or Azumarill. Other good candidates include Pokemon such as Smeargle, which can easily contribute to a huge array of breeding chains, both with IVs and with egg moves.

Use of the Power Items

Situations to in which you should consider Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

The "1 / 24 plateau" refers to the usually frustratingly lengthy period of time before getting the final product once you have two x4 31 Pokemon of the correct nature in the daycare. Giving a power Power item to one parent (and the Destiny Knot to the other) so the flawless IV the other parent lacks is always inherited can modify this process to speed it up slightly. With a power item, you have a 1 / 10 chance (1 / 5 of all the right IVs being inherited, 1 / 2 of the other parents IV being inherited) of a receiving a x5 IV parent, albeit with the wrong nature. From here, you can substitute in the x5 IV wrong natured parent for either parent and continue breeding with the correct nature parent holding the Everstone. The chance of receiving a flawless egg is now 1 / 12. This doesn't save a great deal of effort, and will have you breeding an extra set of competitively useless parents in the process, but narrowing down your chances can prove useful if you're frustrated with your x4 IV parents taking too long. It's a case of whether you want to work with two higher chances or one lower one.

Situations to in which you should avoid Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone

x5 IV wrong-natured parent + x3-4 IV right-natured parent.

In this case, replacing either parent with one of their offspring later in the breeding process is not worth it. Any egg that hatches and is of the x5 parents parent's gender will be worse than or equal to the x5 parent, while any egg that hatches of the x3 IV parent's gender will likely not preserve the nature.

x5 IV right-natured parent + x4 IV right-natured parent.

Breeding Likelihoods
Here, I'll be calculating the likeliness of you to breed your target Pokemon. The objective of this section is to provide you with a few probabilities to figure out the best method for breeding your target Pokemon. All calculations use a Destiny Knot and Everstone unless stated otherwise. No calculations leading to x2 are included, as simply passing along IVs with the use of Power Items is really easy up to that point. Additionally, the 1 / 32 chance of generating a flawless IV is ignored in these calculations with the exception of calculations needed for breeding flawless Pokemon.

Breeding Early On

[Just an opinion, but I personally feel that the format (X*Y*Z) = P is nicer, rather than P(X*Y*Z). Up to you if you want to change it]

1 / 8 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 3 / 6 useful IVs are not ignored)

1 / 12 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 2 / 6 useful IVs are not ignored)

Breeding x5 Flawless IV Pokemon (Flawless for Pokemon that do not need one of Attack / Special Attack)

1 / 24 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

1 / 10 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 5 Irrelevant stat not inherited) (note: x5 IV Pokemon will have incorrect nature) [note: x5 IV Pokemon will likely have incorrect nature]

1 / 12 (1 / 2 Correct IV inherited * 1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

1 / 6 (1 / 6 Irrelevant stat not inherited)

1 / 128 (1 / 2 Correct IV inheritance * 1 / 2 Correct IV inheritance *1 / 32 Max IV generated)

1 / 196 (1 / 6 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1 / 32 Max IV generated)

11 / 384 (~1 / 35) (11 / 12 Imperfect IV not inherited * 1 / 32 Max IV generated)

Chance of breeding a x6 Pokemon off of two x6 Parents:
1 / 32 (1 / 32 Max IV generated)

GP 2/2

I'm wondering if you could add a note on keeping Egg moves on the parent pokemon. All you have to do it just take them out every few levels, depending on how many egg moves you want to hang onto, and the levels that the pokemon learn the moves. Shift the desired moves on the parents to the bottom, and replace.

Sprocket

P(n) = 1 - (1 - P(1))^n
I'm wondering if you could add a note on keeping Egg moves on the parent pokemon. All you have to do it just take them out every few levels, depending on how many egg moves you want to hang onto, and the levels that the pokemon learn the moves. Shift the desired moves on the parents to the bottom, and replace.
This might be unnecessary. The parents moves dont change in the daycare until you remove them.

Hi Guys,
Regarding Hidden Abilities: I've noticed that when breeding two whirlipedes with speedboost, the offspring tend to get speedboost (its only been 8 hatched so far).

However
, I'm trying to pass on an adamant nature as well. When I give either parent an everstone, the offspring don't get speedboost! Anyone able to enlighten me on this one?

Does the everstone effect the chances of passing on hidden natures when both parents are the same species? It didn't seem to when i gave an adamant male dwebble an everstone to breed with a speedboost whirlipede (for spikes (dwebble got them from a klefki)). And i heard the same thing works fine with dittos.

FYI, I'm in the process of trying to breed an IV "perfect" speedboost scollipede with spikes. I'm totally new to breeding,i know I'm going about it pretty inefficiently, so any advice would be very well received!

This might be unnecessary. The parents moves dont change in the daycare until you remove them.
I probably should have explained why I have to do this. I pull the parents out and cycle the moves so that I can retain the Egg moves on the parents because I'm producing more 5 IV Pokemon from 5 IV parents that need to retain the Egg moves across breeding sessions.

Pretty sure a Power Item overrides Destiny Knot, not works alongside it.
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by override the Destiny Knot, but a Power Item with a Destiny Knot will allow the Power Item IV to always bee passed down with 4 others passed down in the process. I've done this multiple times for several breeds.

A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves
Actually, there's an exception, unless I missed some crucial new mechanic: for Pokémon with a baby form, some egg moves might be exclusive to either the baby or the evolved form, for example Azurill can't inherit Belly Drum and Aqua Jet while Marill can't inherit Encore and Soak; Snorlax can't inherit Zen Headbutt and Selfdestruct while Munchlax can't inherit Fissure (all data from veekun). I'm not aware of any competitively relevant incompatibilities, though.

Zystral

めんどくさい、な~
not quite finished yet, still need to clean up some formatting / character encodings.

also contents.

HTML:
<h2>Introduction</h2>

<p>Breeding Pok&eacute;mon in previous generations was an enormous pain. Even if you put a huge amount of effort into breeding a Pok&eacute;mon, very little would come out, and you'd likely be stuck with a subpar Pok&eacute;mon with flawed IVs. Generation VI, however, has made some major changes that make breeding much easier. Here, I will walk you through the important breeding mechanics and how to use these mechanics to breed a flawless Pok&eacute;mon.</p>

<p>Do note that throughout this guide, I will speak assuming you know many of the fundamentals of breeding (for example, Male Species 1 + Female Species 2 will always breed Species 2) and cover competitively relevant and recently changed mechanics. This guide is mainly designed to get previous breeders up to speed.</p>

<h2>Important Breeding Mechanics</h2>
<p>These are the essential mechanics to be aware of when you set out to breed your flawless Pok&eacute;mon. For veteran breeders, even if many of these mechanics seem familiar, be sure to glance through them as multiple mechanics have been changed over the last four generations.</p>

<h3>Flame Body & Magma Armor</h3>
<p>A mechanic that's been a mainstay since Pok&eacute;mon Emerald, the abilities Flame Body & Magma Armor will cut the time it takes to hatch a Pok&eacute;mon by half. You should always have a Pok&eacute;mon with one of these abilities in your party whenever you breed. The easiest and far and away best Pok&eacute;mon to use for this job is Fletchinder or Talonflame, as both are extremely easy to access and allow you to fly to the IV checker without wasting another Pok&eacute;mon slot on a Fly user.</p>

<h3>The Hatching O-Power</h3>
<p>A new mechanic in Pok&eacute;mon X&Y is the activation of O-Powers. O-Powers grant you a number of useful in-battle and overworld affects, including a power that temporarily speeds up Hatching rate. To find this O-Power, you must obtain every other O-Power in the game, then talk to Mr.Bonding in Caf&eacute; Introversion in Lumiose City once you have maximum style.</p>

<h3>The IV Checker</h3>
<p>In Kiloude City's Pok&eacute;mon Center, you can find a purple-haired Ace Trainer that can tell you the potential (IVs) of your Pok&eacute;mon. If any of its IVs are flawless, the trainer will list out your Pok&eacute;mon's flawless IVs followed by a message that those stats "can't be beat!" Additionally, should one of your Pok&eacute;mon have an IV of 0 in any stat, he will point it out to you with a negative mention of that stat. This is very useful for breeding Trick Room Pok&eacute;mon.</p>

<h3>Certain wild Pok&eacute;mon will always have flawless IVs</h3>
<p>The Friend Safari is a new feature in Pok&eacute;mon X&Y that allows you to catch Pok&eacute;mon not normally found over the course of the game. What's more notable is that every single Pok&eacute;mon you catch in the Friend Safari will always have two flawless IVs. For passing down flawless IVs, the Pok&eacute;mon here are an excellent place to start. Dittos can be caught here as well, if you have the right friends.</p>

<p>Additionally, there's a new mechanic to X&Y where Pok&eacute;mon that cannot breed (not even with Ditto, so no Magnemites or Dittos) will always be granted three flawless IVs. This group mainly consists of legendary Pok&eacute;mon, but it also includes baby Pok&eacute;mon such as Azurill, Budew, and Mantyke that can eventually be made breedable. This is another excellent place to start passing down flawless IVs.</p>

<h3>Both parents pass down egg moves</h3>
<p>A huge change that effectively eliminates incompatible egg moves, parents of either sex pass down egg moves as of X&Y. This makes it possible to use parents with the best IVs, even if one would need to be a Ditto acting as a male Pok&eacute;mon or another male without egg moves. Also note that for some reason, TM moves are no longer passed down at all.</p>

<h3>Males pass on hidden abilities too, but only with Ditto</h3>
<p>Forget the Entralink RNG from Generation V: Pok&eacute;mon can now pass down that hidden ability even if you're male. This is the only situation where male Pok&eacute;mon will pass on a hidden ability. Pairing an Impostor Ditto with a non-hidden ability Pok&eacute;mon will not generate a child with a hidden ability. Similarly, a hidden ability male will not pass down its ability if it's paired with a non-hidden ability female of the same species.</p>

<h3>Female non-Ditto Pok&eacute;mon now pass along their Pok&eacute; Balls</h3>
<p>This is a pretty minor change, but if you enjoy having matching / contrasting Pok&eacute; Balls, your bred Pok&eacute;mon can have them too. All female Pok&eacute;mon will pass down their Pok&eacute; Balls, unless it's a Ditto acting as a female. I recommend that if you're breeding anything that will eventually use Return or Draco Meteor when fully trained, you breed it in a Luxury Ball to get the happiness up very quickly.</p>

<h3>Everstone</h3>
<p>This is actually a change that's been in effect for a while now, but a few of us might have been disconnected with traditional breeding for so long as to not have heard of this. The Everstone now always passes down the nature of the parent holding it. No longer will your perfect breeds be spoiled by a wrong nature. Additionally, unlike in DPP, it does not matter which parent holds the Everstone when breeding.</p>

<h3>Power Items</h3>
<p>Power Items will always pass down the parent's IV for the stat the Power Item grants EVs for. This is useful if you wish to pass down IVs for Hidden Power, for Trick Room Pok&eacute;mon, or for specific situations listed further below. Note that using a Power Item on one parent and another Power Item on the other will cause either of their IVs to chain down, not both. Primarily though, for breeding, you'll want to rely on the Everstone and the...</p>

<h3>Destiny Knot</h3>
<p>And here we have by far the most wonderful and significant change to breeding with X&Y. If either of your parents holds the Destiny Knot, the parents will pass down a whopping five IVs to their children. With this item, it has become significantly easier to chain IVs onto Pok&eacute;mon and easily receive a perfect Pok&eacute;mon.</p>

<p>With our important new breeding mechanics out of the way, it's time to start breeding perfect Pok&eacute;mon.</p>

<h2>Breeding Perfect Pok&eacute;mon</h2>

<p>To start, catch whatever Pok&eacute;mon you wish to breed. Then, head to the Friend Safari and catch several potential parents in compatible egg groups for your target bred Pok&eacute;mon. If the Pok&eacute;mon you wish to breed that you caught earlier does not already have the nature you want to pass down, I recommend leading with a Pok&eacute;mon with the Synchronize ability when catching your Friend Safari parents to get your desired nature. For parents, Dittos are the most flexible option if you have access to them. Baby Pok&eacute;mon are also an option for this part if you have any in the right egg group / limited Friend Safari access.</p>

<p>Now, with several parents on hand, develop a strategy for chaining down IVs. The general strategy is to breed two parents together until their child has all the relevant flawless IVs that a final parent lacks. Once that child is bred, breed the child with the final parent until you get your final target. Along the way, if a child is born that outclasses either of the parents, replace that child with the superior child to increase your chances of getting your desired final product. Remember to preserve your nature with either of your parents with the Everstone and to make sure that one of the parents is holding the Destiny Knot for the entire time.</p>

<h3>Example</h3>
<p>I want to breed a Timid, flawless in all stats but attack Charizard. To start, I caught a Charmeleon and two Dittos from the Friend Safari. One of the Dittos was Timid thanks to a Timid Pok&eacute;mon with Synchronize I had at the front of my party. Charmeleon's IVs are 31 / x / x / x / 31 / x. The Timid Ditto’s IVs are x / x / x / x / 31 / 31. The non-Timid Ditto's IVs are x / x / 31 / 31 / x / x.</p>

<p>Now, to start breeding, I gave the Charmeleon a Destiny Knot and my Timid Ditto an Everstone. After several eggs, I want to get a Charmander with IVs of 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 or better. Both Pok&eacute;mon were left in the day care and got busy.</p>

<p>A few eggs later, I received the 31 / x / x / x / 31 / 31 Charmander I wanted. Now, I just needed to pass down my final Ditto’s perfect IVs for my target flawless Charmander. The two are paired together again and start breeding.</p>

<p>Eventually, a male 31 / x / x / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander was born. Since this Charmander was objectively better than my current parent Charmander and gives me a higher chance to pass down my wanted IV combination, I took my old Charmander out of the day-care and put the new Charmander in. Though it did not happen for me, if any children had spawned that were objectively better than their parents along the way, I would have replaced the parent with their superior child.</p>

<p>Once I start working with quad-flawless parents from this process, it’s only a matter of time until my 31 / x / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 Charmander is bred!</p>

<h2>Breeding <em>more</em> flawless Pok&eacute;mon</h2>

<p>Once you have a perfect Pok&eacute;mon on hand, repeating this process is substantially easier. You already have a flawless parent to pass down IVs to new Pok&eacute;mon if your final product was male. If your final product was female and can't pass down IVs to other species of Pok&eacute;mon, you can still use any outstanding male parents that you may have bred along the way. Going back to my previous example, if I ever want to breed something in the Monster or Dragon egg groups, I have my Charizard to use as an awesome parent!</p>

<p>With this in mind, it might be best to think a little bit on what to breed first. Aim to get Pok&eacute;mon with low Egg Cycles that are in multiple egg groups such as Gyarados or Azumarill. Other good candidates include Pok&eacute;mon such as Smeargle, which can easily contribute to a huge array of breeding chains, both with IVs and with egg moves.</p>

<h2>Extra Tips and Information</h2>

<p>Finally, here are a few tips and tricks. If you're looking to make your breeding process more efficient after digesting the basic information above, some of the information here might help you get your final result quicker. Note that from here onwards, x2, x3, x4, and x5 refer to the number of relevant flawless IVs.</p>

<h3>Use of the Power Items</h3>

<p>Even though using the Destiny Knot and Everstone can easily net you a perfect Pok&eacute;mon, there are certain situations where momentarily ignoring nature and focusing on IV inheritance with the Power items and Destiny Knot can make the breeding process quicker. Using Power Items + Destiny Knot is most useful when you want to pass down raw IVs. A few specific situations where this may prove useful or should be avoided are listed below, but this list is not all inclusive.</p>

<h3>Situations in which you should consider Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone</h3>

<h4>Escaping the 1 / 24 plateau</h4>

<p>The "1 / 24 plateau" refers to the usually frustratingly lengthy period of time before getting the final product once you have two x4 31 Pok&eacute;mon of the correct nature in the daycare. Giving a power item to one parent (and the Destiny Knot to the other) so the flawless IV the other parent lacks is always inherited can modify this process to speed it up slightly. With a power item, you have a 1 / 10 chance (1 / 5 of all the right IVs being inherited, 1 / 2 of the other parents IV being inherited) of a receiving a x5 IV parent, albeit with the wrong nature. From here, you can substitute in the x5 IV wrong natured parent for either parent and continue breeding with the correct nature parent holding the Everstone. The chance of receiving a flawless egg is now 1 / 12. This doesn't save a great deal of effort, and will have you breeding an extra set of competitively useless parents in the process, but narrowing down your chances can prove useful if you're frustrated with your x4 IV parents taking too long. It's a case of whether you want to work with two higher chances or one lower one.</p>

<h3>Situations in which you should avoid Power Item + Destiny Knot + Everstone</h3>

<h4>x5 IV wrong-natured parent + x3-4 IV  right-natured parent</h4>

<p>In this case, replacing either parent with one of their offspring later in the breeding process is not worth it. Any egg that hatches and is of the x5 parents gender will be worse than or equal to the x5 parent, while any egg that hatches of the x3 IV parent's gender will not preserve the nature.</p>

<h4>x5 IV right-natured parent + x4 IV right-natured parent</h4>

<p>The chances of getting a flawless final product with a correct nature in this case is 1 / 12. Should you use a Power Item, you lower this chance to 1 / 10 , but only for obtaining flawless IVs. Because of this, you need to do a second cycle with a 1 / 6 chance of generating your desired final product. The likelihood increase on the first cycle is easily not worth the entire extra cycle.</p>

<h3>Breeding Likelyhoods</h3>
<p>If you're curious about your chances of obtaining a certain offspring from your parents, check out the <a href="http://destinyknot.tk/">Pok&eacute;mon X/Y - IV Breeding Probability Calculator</a> by <a href="/forums/members/60850/">Agnaktor</a>. The calculator currently works only with the Destiny Knot and Everstone, but it's an excellent way to gauge how long a particular breed will take.</p>

I was thinking about how I prepared to breed for Hidden Power.
You could add a note about the usefulness of Power Items in getting certain stats (odds/evens/a 30 etc) to stick in your breeding process so the chances of the proper HP Type on your babies increases.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I was thinking about how I prepared to breed for Hidden Power.
You could add a note about the usefulness of Power Items in getting certain stats (odds/evens/a 30 etc) to stick in your breeding process so the chances of the proper HP Type on your babies increases.
Only problem with that is that you then have to wing it for nature, since you can't use everstone.

Only problem with that is that you then have to wing it for nature, since you can't use everstone.
Actually, if you breed for nature first, when you have a pair of 5 Perfect Pokes, you can then remove Destiny Knot and use Power Item + Everstone to the pair to keep the nature and try to roll a 30 on one of the stats that you want.
Provided that you do not have a hindering nature on that stat, it is pretty easy to tell when you have a 30 on that stat.

1. Check the Info screen and see if the stat has the same number as a 31 at Lv 1, removing the ones that do not because then there is no chance it is a 30.
  2. Check with the IV Checker to see if he can detect whether the stat is a 31. Since you are forcing a passed down 31 IV, he will only mention it if it is 31. Remove the Pokemon that have 31.
  3. Go to the Battle Test Facility and save in front so that you can reset out. Go into Singles with one of the remaining Pokémon, check its Lv 50 stats. If it is equal to what it would be if the stat was at 31, then it has a 30 IV because of rounding.

Once you get the 30 IV, since you have one with 5 Perfect with each gender you can replace either and breed it on as usual. To check whether these pass the 30 stat, you do the same steps, except this time you only Battle Test the ones that have 4 IVs and not the 30 IV. Once you have both of your breeding pair replaced with 30IV, you can continue breeding normally unless you need another 30 IV.

Generally, it is better to breed and get the perfect IV first, so that you can more easily detect whether the stat got inherited and have less Pokémon to check with Battle Test/Wifi Battle. And removing the Destiny Knot altogther will make it easier to get the 30 roll.

Destiny Knot + Power Item (1 Locked, 4 Inherited, 1 Random):
Chance of not inheriting the stat: 4/5 * 3/4 * 2/3 * 1/2 = 1/5
Chance of Rolling 30: 1/32
= 1/160

Power Item + Everstone (1 Locked, 2 Inherited, 3 Random):
Chance of not inheriting the stat: 4/5 * 3/4 = 3/5
Chance of Rolling 30: 1/32
= 3/160

Last edited:

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi Guys,
Regarding Hidden Abilities: I've noticed that when breeding two whirlipedes with speedboost, the offspring tend to get speedboost (its only been 8 hatched so far).

However
, I'm trying to pass on an adamant nature as well. When I give either parent an everstone, the offspring don't get speedboost! Anyone able to enlighten me on this one?

Does the everstone effect the chances of passing on hidden natures when both parents are the same species? It didn't seem to when i gave an adamant male dwebble an everstone to breed with a speedboost whirlipede (for spikes (dwebble got them from a klefki)). And i heard the same thing works fine with dittos.

FYI, I'm in the process of trying to breed an IV "perfect" speedboost scollipede with spikes. I'm totally new to breeding,i know I'm going about it pretty inefficiently, so any advice would be very well received!
The speed boost thing shouldn't be an issue. Both the male and female parents have an 80% chance (if my memory serves my) for the female (or non-ditto) to pass down their ability, regardless of item(s) held. If you try to breed it on from an Imposter Ditto (or another pokemon in its egg group with its hidden ability), you will have one of the standard abilities rather than the hidden one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)