Item Roseli Berry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reduces the damage of super-effective Fairy-type attacks, huh...? I can already see this on many, many, many Fighting- and Dark-types. For the Dragon-types, though, I'm not sure. Maybe it could work like this:

Goodra
Since it has high Sp. Defense and all Fairy-type Moves are considered Special so far, he probably won't have a problem carry this bad girl around with him. BTW, can he learn any Poison-type Moves? If not, then this set may probably be less useful.

Dragonite
Yes, even the H-word of Dragon-types can get in on all the fun. Since his Sp. Defense is just slightly above his Defense one, he MAY have a chance. Just give him a legit Moveset.

Salamence
Okay, I'll admit: His stats defensively are not the best...but Wynaut? :D As long as he has a legit Moveset and Choice Band, I'm good.

Latios & Latias
...Need I say more?

Altaria
Like Goodra, she has very good Sp. Defense. I'm wondering, can she learn Amnesia? That would be super helpful against the Dragon Slayers! :)

Flygon
Same as Salamence, though you also have the option to use Choice Scarf and the ability to have a woder range of legit Movesets!

Noivern
Since he is the more speedy of the bunch, it's a must to slap Choice Scarf on him! ^v^

And finally...
Hydreigon
Well this is pretty average... As long as you give this bad boy a legit Moveset, he may have a shot in the *incoming bad pun* DARK!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA--! *slaps himself* Owie...

So tell me what you think! ^v^

P.S.: I remembered that every Pokemon only has 1 item slot. So, poo. :'(

P.P.S.: Why I didn't mention Dragalge? Poison/Dragon... 'Nuff said.

Dragalge isn't weak to Fairy, so it can't use it.

Anyway Roseli Berry isn't worth using on any of those, except maybe Hydreigon since it's x4 weak.

Btw this is good for 3v3 wifi. I ran a Dragon Dance Haxorus with a Roseli Berry and it OHKO's after the berry takes effect with Posion Jab or Earthquake (if Mawile)

Dragons usually have better items to use than a one-shot damage reduction. Most fairies are slow and have low defense, can be outsped by dragons, and dragons usually carry other coverage options that can OHKO or heavily damage a fairy (especially if using an item that boosts attack power). If you're that worried about fairy attacks, bring a steel or poison type with high special defense.

I can only see this being used to ensure the dragon gets off at least one attack, and a focus sash will guarantee that as well as protect against other super effective attacks.

Alright it's time to establish something. Items and boosts which reduce damage work best on those with LOW defences to something, so assault vest and fairy berry are AWFUL on Goodra.

Think of it this way, if Goodra took 70% from a SE attack a berry would reduce it to 35%. If that same attack was to hit something like Garchomp and would do 120%, the berry would reduce it to 60%. Garchomp is now living an attack that would kill it, with a comfortable 40%. Goodra is still 2hkoed. This is why AV Ttar doesn't even run SpDef EVs, because it has diminishing returns with AV.

Berries work best on things with Monster offences but frailer defences. Also works well in case of surviving specific hits, like Yache Chomp vs Ice Shard/ Ice Beam.

This also applies in a lesser way to adding EVs on a pokemon. At 100 defense stat, adding 1 defense stat is a 1% decrease in damage taken, while at 300 defense stat adding 1 defense stat is only .33% decrease in damage taken.

Last edited:
ALMOST all dragons are better at having offensive sets. Exceptions include Dragonite, Goodra, Latias, and Altaria, ALL of which prefer leftovers. If you expect to take fairy attacks with a Dragonite, either an Assault vest or Weakness policy set are also better options than this berry. Goodra can't run the WP set as well, but becomes a boss with the AV. I haven't seen much Latias discussion, but I doubt she's changed much from last gen. Altaria's bulky set is about boosting for attack, so since you'll hardly be trying to boost on a fairy, this berry makes no sense on him either. All in all, I'd say this berry'll get about as much usage as most other SE damage reducing berries, almost none.

Alright it's time to establish something. Items and boosts which reduce damage work best on those with LOW defences to something, so assault vest and fairy berry are AWFUL on Goodra.
And what are you talking about? The only Goodra set I really like is its AV set. Being able to trap special attackers and take almost no damage, PRICELESS!

ALMOST all dragons are better at having offensive sets. Exceptions include Dragonite, Goodra, Latias, and Altaria, ALL of which prefer leftovers. If you expect to take fairy attacks with a Dragonite, either an Assault vest or Weakness policy set are also better options than this berry. Goodra can't run the WP set as well, but becomes a boss with the AV. I haven't seen much Latias discussion, but I doubt she's changed much from last gen. Altaria's bulky set is about boosting for attack, so since you'll hardly be trying to boost on a fairy, this berry makes no sense on him either. All in all, I'd say this berry'll get about as much usage as most other SE damage reducing berries, almost none.

And what are you talking about? The only Goodra set I really like is its AV set. Being able to trap special attackers and take almost no damage, PRICELESS!
Taking 7% vs 10% on a Rotom-W voltswitch is an awful tradeoff. After Leftovers you would have taken ~4% damage whereas assault vest is still 7%. Also if Rotom-W decides to burn you, you now take 12.5% per turn rather than 6.25% per turn if you had AV over leftovers. Not to mention you still take the same amount from physical attacks.

AV works well on things which have great typings but awful stats such as Drapion. Ttar makes use of it to live a specific threat while ensuring it can trap them. Goodra is an awful AV (and susbsequently berry) user.

Berries are used by things which are typically 4x weak to a move, or the move happens to be a retardedly powerful nuke like Draco Meteor. If you can't take advantage of living that one hit (Goodra has mediocre offenses) to destroy what was hitting you, there is no point in using the Berry.

I wouldn't even use it on Hydreigon. The loss of an item slot to reduce the damage of a single attack is absolutely a bad idea. It's much wiser to just have a Fairy type counter on your team to switch to and take the hit instead. The only Fairy that can outspeed Hydreigon is Mega Gardevoir, anyway (not counting Xerneas), and she's going to 1HKO Hydreigon with Moonblast even with the berry.

Damage-reducing berries are best when you can take a hit from a potential check and KO in return, especially if it then leads to you sweeping. Basically, when it all comes down to one turn. Otherwise you're better off with items that are useful over a longer timespan (like leftovers, life orb).

Maybe Hydreigon could use it in doubles. The fairy move of choice there is Dazzling Gleam, which is weaker (even more since it's spread) so with the use of Roseli, maybe Hydreigon can survive?

Taking 7% vs 10% on a Rotom-W voltswitch is an awful tradeoff. After Leftovers you would have taken ~4% damage whereas assault vest is still 7%. Also if Rotom-W decides to burn you, you now take 12.5% per turn rather than 6.25% per turn if you had AV over leftovers. Not to mention you still take the same amount from physical attacks.
Rotom's one of those mons that says "Screw you world! I'm gonna be different!" And as such, nobody in there right minds would try to trap and kill it with something like a goodra, and I'm almost offended you thought I'd try. I was talking about your stereotypical special sweepers and bulky special attackers. 12.5 passive damage from infestation, decent damage from dragon pulse (or coverage move of choice), and rock solid (maybe not appropriate considering how lacking most rock types are in SpD) defenses mean you hurt them more than they hurt you. Even folks like Sylveon and Guardevoir, who you'd think would crush a dragon, get torn apart. And if you can't handle the AV's dark side, then this berry could be used as dragon's make great fairy bait (though it limits him to a narrow and not overly useful niche).

To keep on topic, berries like this aren't very useful in Singles (inb4 berry resist meta guyz). HOWEVER, speaking from experience last gen, a lot of pokemon can make use of type resist berries in the doubles VGC metagame because a) it is a lot more fast paced and less "specific counter" based since you can only have 4 pokemon battle total, and b) because item clause exists, often forcing people to come up with more creative item usage than just lefties/life orb/choice item. Yache Berry G-Chomp and Rindo Berry Gastrodon were meta-staples in VGC if you're looking for common examples. Who knows, maybe Roseli Hydreigon will become a thing.

What are Roseli Berry's Natural Gift stats?
I can confirm for certain that it's Fairy-type (tested on Color Change Kecleon), and its Base Power is most likely 60 based on the SE Berry trend and rough damage approximation between Roseli NG and Haban NG (both tested on Kecleon).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)