Pokémon Drapion

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not the most confident in relying on Scope Lens and critical hits to dish out damage. Although with good luck, it may work. The main problem is that since Gen 4, we were brainwashed not to rely on criticals to do damage, because stuff like LO and Band are much more reliable. X3

I would like to test if critical rates ARE in fact higher with stuff like Night Slash and Cross Poison though.
More self retrospective and enlightenment to consider is previous Gen's have more or less knocked it into our heads Poison/Dark is awful offensive typing, however it should be noted this gen with the reworking of the typechart...well let me list the total entity of every Pokemon in the entire game who resist Poison/Dark.

Tyranitar, Skuntank, Terrakion, Cobalion, Krookodile, Bisharp, Mawile, Klefki, Toxicroak.

That is it a total of 9 Pokemon including itself making 10 and what do you notice about every single one of these besides Krookodile? They are all weak to Ground, food for thought there when you're thinking of offensive Drapion.

EDIT: Good god forgot Lucario, make that +1. The Ground thing still applies though.

Last edited:
I have a friend who will be using a Drapion, and I am looking into how I can counter it.

Drapion @ Scope Lens
Ability: Sniper

Toxic Spikes
Cross Poison
Night Slash
????????

252 Atk/252 Speed/ 4 ?????

Drapion's only weakness is Ground, and these are its base stats: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Drapion_(Pokémon)#Base_stats

Its Def is much higher than its Sp.Def but unfortunately the only thing I can think of is either Sand Rush Excadrill's Earthquake boosted by Swords Dance or Trick Roomed Mega Garchomp?

I have a friend who will be using a Drapion, and I am looking into how I can counter it.

Drapion @ Scope Lens

Toxic Spikes
Cross Poison
Night Slash
????????

Drapion's only weakness is Ground, and these are its base stats: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Drapion_(Pokémon)#Base_stats

Its Def is much higher than its Sp.Def but unfortunately the only thing I can think of is either Sand Rush Excadrill's Earthquake boosted by Swords Dance or Trick Roomed Mega Garchomp?
I used to run this set to rely on crits. But with the crit nerf I don't bother with it.

Drapion @ Scope Lens

Toxic Spikes
Cross Poison
Night Slash
????????

Without Knock Off (don't give him ideas!!), Drapion is a LOT easier to counter. The main problem about Drapion is that he has no recovery, and with Scope Lens as his held item over Black Sludge, it's pretty easy to wear down. First thing that comes to mind are obviously Ground-types. Krookodile is a good example who can either intimidate its already average Attack stat, or get a free kill with Earthquake and raise its attack with Moxie. Poliwrath is excellent at burning it with Scald, as Drapion has no way of really damaging it in the first place.

Higher tiers wise, Ferrothorn can easily wear it down with Leech Seed and Iron Barbs. Toxicroak resists both its STABs and repeated assaults from it shouldn't take long to defeat Drapion. Get creative! It seems scary at first, but a good physical wall or something that can wear it down (ie Will-o-wisp) is a good counter to this variant. Good luck!

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Here is the best and only viable set for Drapion in OU:

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Ability: Battle Armor
Evs: 252 HP / 208 Atk / 48 SDef
Adamant Nature
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake

It's probably the best counter to Mega Gengar, although it still gets fucked by Perish Song + Sub versions, but this set is impossible to deal with anyway. It also acts as an ok check to Aegislash, tanking Shadow Balls like it's nothing, and tanking decently Iron Head and Sacred Sword. It also has Earthquake to bypass King's Shield. Here are some calcs with Drapion on the defensive:
  • 252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 127-150 (36.91 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 63-75 (18.31 - 21.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 76-90 (22.09 - 26.16%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 Atk Sableye Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 114-135 (33.13 - 39.24%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 Atk Sableye Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 85-101 (24.7 - 29.36%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
And some with Drapion on the offensive:
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 152-180 (46.91 - 55.55%) -- 15.63% chance to 2HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 126-150 (38.88 - 46.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Crunch (or Pursuit if Mega Gengar is switching out) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 258-306 (98.47 - 116.79%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 258-306 (63.86 - 75.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 168-198 (45.04 - 53.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Still, Drapion is a very mediocre Pokemon that should only be used if you really want Gengar out of the way.

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Poison Jab
-Earthquake

It's probably the best counter to Mega Gengar, although it still gets fucked by Perish Song + Sub versions, but this set is impossible to deal with anyway. It also acts as an ok check to Aegislash, tanking Shadow Balls like it's nothing, and tanking decently Iron Head and Sacred Sword. It also has Earthquake to bypass King's Shield. Here are some calcs with Drapion on the defensive:
  • 252 SpA Mega Gengar Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 127-150 (36.91 - 43.6%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Aegislash Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 63-75 (18.31 - 21.8%) -- guaranteed 5HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ SpA Spooky Plate Aegislash Shadow Ball vs. +1 252 HP / 48 SpD Drapion: 76-90 (22.09 - 26.16%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 Atk Sableye Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 114-135 (33.13 - 39.24%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
  • 4 Atk Sableye Sacred Sword vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Drapion: 85-101 (24.7 - 29.36%) -- 0.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
And some with Drapion on the offensive:
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Crunch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 152-180 (46.91 - 55.55%) -- 15.63% chance to 2HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Aegislash: 126-150 (38.88 - 46.29%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Crunch (or Pursuit if Mega Gengar is switching out) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Gengar: 258-306 (98.47 - 116.79%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 258-306 (63.86 - 75.74%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
  • 208+ Atk Drapion Poison Jab vs. 248 HP / 216+ Def Togekiss: 168-198 (45.04 - 53.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Still, Drapion is a very mediocre Pokemon that should only be used if you really want Gengar out of the way.

I like it. I wonder if Knock Off is viable over Crunch to support the team better. Although I'm not sure if you are going to lose some 2HKOs by doing this... Also, this thing REALLY needs SR, Spikes AND Wish support to net some 2HKOs and OHKOs....

Now by the looks of it, it's REALLY tough to implement him in OU environment. Stick to the lower tiers I guess... >.>

EDIT: Again, 4EVs from HP to something else so your HP is not divisible by 4 in switching into Spikes and SR.

Drapion is a solid ghost check in Pokebank. You can basically neutralize any team with mega Gengar by switching in as he evolves and trapping with pursuit (unless the guy knows what you're doing, uses sub first turn, and then switches before you break the sub). After you trap the trapper, knock off and toxic spikes can support the team. This is a very good niche to have, and I could see him holding a niche in OU as long as mega Gengar is there.

Last gen Weavile was the trapper of choice, but he's not as trustworthy with mega Gar's new speed tier and Aegislash's stupid high defense.

I like it. I wonder if Knock Off is viable over Crunch to support the team better. Although I'm not sure if you are going to lose some 2HKOs by doing this... Also, this thing REALLY needs SR, Spikes AND Wish support to net some 2HKOs and OHKOs....
Two Knock-Offs, where the first hit successfully removes the opponent's item and grants the x1.5 boost, will actually outdamage two Crunches, so I'm sure Drapion won't lose the 2HKOs it got with Crunch.

Ash Borer

I've heard they're short of room in hell

Drapion @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
-Crunch
-Pursuit
it's worth mentioning this set beats the shit out of deoxys-N as well, well, until someone starts running double edge on their Deo which 2hkos. Heh.

it's worth mentioning this set beats the shit out of deoxys-N as well, well, until someone starts running double edge on their Deo which 2hkos. Heh.
I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone's comfortable of taking neutral damage from super power or extreme speed. especially when the user has base 150 attack. Is this guy a check for him? Yes. But even if Deoxys does produce fecal matter, I think he'll dispose of it how and where he chooses.

I'm sorry, but I don't think anyone's comfortable of taking neutral damage from super power or extreme speed. especially when the user has base 150 attack. Is this guy a check for him? Yes. But even if Deoxys does produce fecal matter, I think he'll dispose of it how and where he chooses.
4 atk superpower is 39% tops to 248 HP Drapion, 46% tops with 252 atk. I'd call that a counter.

Updated egg moves and potential movesets with new information discussed.

I really feel Drapion has a nifty niche in the OU metagame as a nice Ghost-killer. But it requires lots of support, especially the Assault Vest set. Without recovery, you'll be relying on Vaporeon, Blissey etc.. for Wish support. Unfortunately, Drapion doesn't have the best synergy with most Wish passers... (except Togekiss, who doesn't usually run Wish).

He has potential, but I find that he will truly shine in UU where he can use multiple viable sets, which means your must guess. There are a lot less threatening physical attackers to worry about as well.

I'm not sure if everyone has already found this out, but the sniper set really isn't all that terrible. With scope lens and night slash/cross poison, the crit rate is boosted to 50% thanks to a mechanics change. Now, that is still rather gimmicky at best, but consider the use of serene grace for its flinching and then consider that the crit is a kill instead in this case. Unfortunately it does not have access to focus energy to be like Kritdra, however,

Drapion@ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252+ Spd /4 HP
Cross Poison
Night Slash
Earthquake
???

As mentioned above this gives almost perfect type coverage, and while it is sorely hurt by the power it does not receive from earthquake, and is on top of that held back by speed,

252 Atk Sniper Drapion Cross Poison vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W on a critical hit: 190-225 (62.7 - 74.2%)
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Aegislash-Shield on a critical hit: 282-336 (87.3 - 104%)
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Cross Poison vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Talonflame on a critical hit: 267-316 (89.8 - 106.3%)
252 Atk Drapion Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyranitar: 158-186 (46.3 - 54.5%)(Unlikely to not be running HP, shows how much it hurts when it cannot score crits using earthquake)
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Cross Poison vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Greninja on a critical hit: 279-330 (97.8 - 115.7%)
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Trevenant on a critical hit: 345-408 (92.2 - 109%)(Trevenants almost never run this dedicated a spread anyway)

Is it breaking any walls?

252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory on a critical hit: 114-136 (34.1 - 40.7%)
252 Atk Sniper Drapion Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 121-144 (34.3 - 40.9%)
Almost certainly not given these outputs are based on a 50% chance. But the overall mon ends up having newly fantastic typing, good bulk, and the ability to deal out game changing damage on a regular if not reliable basis.

Overall, I would say there are many better choices than this set. But it is potentially viable if you are interested in making your opponents curse the Hax gods and cast curses upon all your anscestors.

Also first post ^_^

Last edited:
If you want to focus in wallbreaking you probably need Swords Dance. Lansat Berry nets you a 100% critical ratio on Night Slash and Cross Poison, but you need something that allows you to activate it consistently. It's probably inferior to the Assault Vest set altogether though.

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Drapion@ Scope Lens
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252+ Spd /4 HP
Cross Poison
Night Slash
Earthquake
???
If you were to run this set, the 4th slot should always be Swords Dance, since as your calcs show, Drapion really needs that extra power to take out walls. Unfortunately, as you said, the strategy is a gimmicky due to the reliance on 50% crit rate.

The biggest problem though is that Drapion just isn't fast or strong enough to pull of a sweep, and without defensive investment it can't take a hit very well either. It's one of those sets that looks neat on paper but is too unreliable in practice. Maybe once the lower tiers are set up, Drapion will stand a better chance.

It's a shame that Poison/Dark is such an excellent typing defensively, especially against special hits, but Drapion's stats really let it down. Assault Vest is probably his best option in OU because of this.

I'm not the most confident in relying on Scope Lens and critical hits to dish out damage. Although with good luck, it may work. The main problem is that since Gen 4, we were brainwashed not to rely on criticals to do damage, because stuff like LO and Band are much more reliable. X3

I would like to test if critical rates ARE in fact higher with stuff like Night Slash and Cross Poison though.
His offensive typing is decent, which gives him unique options for walling unique threats, plus a fantastic support movepool, but his stats are so underwhelming with what he does.

If you were to run this set, the 4th slot should always be Swords Dance, since as your calcs show, Drapion really needs that extra power to take out walls. Unfortunately, as you said, the strategy is a gimmicky due to the reliance on 50% crit rate.

The biggest problem though is that Drapion just isn't fast or strong enough to pull of a sweep, and without defensive investment it can't take a hit very well either. It's one of those sets that looks neat on paper but is too unreliable in practice. Maybe once the lower tiers are set up, Drapion will stand a better chance.

It's a shame that Poison/Dark is such an excellent typing defensively, especially against special hits, but Drapion's stats really let it down. Assault Vest is probably his best option in OU because of this.
Stats are somewhat of a letdown, so I find that a Swords Dance/Wallbreaker set could be used in the lower tiers, and succeed at that. In OU, the only real saving grace it has is being the Psychic and Ghost killer that it should ONLY be using, but it still requires lots of support.

I'm training my Drapion up in-game, and I can't wait to use the Assault Vest set to beat those Alakazam, Gengar and Aegislash running around! ^^

In doubles, you can pair Drapion up with a Pokemon with Fling (Such as Whimsicott) and give it a Lansat berry (Raises critical hit ratio by 2 in a pinch) then use fling on Drapion. Drapion then would get his critical hit ratio boosted by 2, since he'll gain the effect of the berry since it was flinged at him, so that cross poison and night slash will be at stage 4, giving him a 100% critical chance every time that he uses those moves, and with Sniper, he'll get a 2.25 times boost on both of his STABs, and still have the ability to hold something else to boost his power even further, so you can still get 100% critical chance in doubles, which should definitely be viable.

*Not to mention that other pokemon with sniper can run this in doubles too, such as Fearow and Barbaracle, but that's irrelevant.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
With Mega Gengar gone, there is almost no reason to use AV Drapion anymore, meaning that Drapion is once again almost useless in OU and doesn't deserve its own thread. You can still discuss about it in the Old Pokemon Discussion thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)