Sticky Have a question? Ask it here! (NOT SM QUESTIONS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do Meowstic have to do with Onyx? Their Japanese name is Nyaonyx, but they neither seem to have something to do with the mineral nor do they have pronounced claws.
Onix's JP name is Iwark. Also, if you take the JP pronunciation of Meowstic's JP name, it's Nyaonikusu. So, it's not necessarily onyx, the stone.

Onix's JP name is Iwark. Also, if you take the JP pronunciation of Meowstic's JP name, it's Nyaonikusu. So, it's not necessarily onyx, the stone.
Pardon us, but we did not refer to Onix despite the capitalization. Still, we did assume their name to be a portmanteau, whatever オニクス is supposed to mean. 'Onyx' was the first thing to come into our mind, otherwise the name seems to be a bit random.

Question related to breeding: What IVs are passed down if one parent holds a power item and the other has a destiny knot? Will the baby get 5 inherited IVs, one of them guaranteed to be the corresponding one of the parent holding the power item?

So I restarted my game and I currently have four gym badges and just defeated Team Flare again. After this I spoke to the two mysterious people who said that because of my efforts the power was back on in Limouse city. The problem is when I go there it isn't and I still can't get to the fifth gym. Can anyone help?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
^You have to go find Az and enter Lumiose from the North (Northwest?). Only that will end the power outage completely.

Pardon us, but we did not refer to Onix despite the capitalization. Still, we did assume their name to be a portmanteau, whatever オニクス is supposed to mean. 'Onyx' was the first thing to come into our mind, otherwise the name seems to be a bit random.
Whoops, sorry, didn't even realize you didn't talk about Onix (the pokemon).

Anyway, given that the Japanese love to put in random english words into everything, ニクス could be Nix, which means a rejection or a refusal of something (referring to Meowstic's psychic power). ニャオ could be just the onomatopoeia for a cat's meow, and put them together and you get ニャオニクス。

Anyway, given that the Japanese love to put in random english words into everything, ニクス could be Nix, which means a rejection or a refusal of something (referring to Meowstic's psychic power). ニャオ could be just the onomatopoeia for a cat's meow, and put them together and you get ニャオニクス。
We actually never have though of ニャオ being used as a onomatopoeia for the cat's meow instead of ニャ, the stock Japanese cat sound; 'nix' meaning refusal had not occured to us, though. The first word we came up with was the German 'nix' for 'nothing', which probably outline their lack of showing emotions - which would probably be more confusing for real Germans when they realize that 'nix' can refer to a type of merman. If it was not an official name, it would be an awesome nickname for Vaporeon/Showers.

Thanks for the elaboration.

We actually never have though of ニャオ being used as a onomatopoeia for the cat's meow instead of ニャ, the stock Japanese cat sound; 'nix' meaning refusal had not occured to us, though. The first word we came up with was the German 'nix' for 'nothing', which probably outline their lack of showing emotions - which would probably be more confusing for real Germans when they realize that 'nix' can refer to a type of merman. If it was not an official name, it would be an awesome nickname for Vaporeon/Showers.

Thanks for the elaboration.
Yeah, little do a lot of non-Japanese people know, is that にゃお or にゃあ is the sound for a cat meowing, not にゃ。 It's usually shortened to that, though, in speech patterns for, say, catlike characters.

Quick breeding question to make sure my head is on straight...

I caught 3 Dittos, one with max HP+ATK, one with max DEF+SpA, one with max SpD+SPEED. Setting aside the fact that I should probably try to find some 3-IV Dittos, I can use these three Dittos to get just about any 5-IV Pokémon I want, right?

Right now I have a Froakie with HP+Def+SpA and I am using my SpD+SPEED Ditto with it, Everstone and Destiny Knot. In a box full of Froakies, I think 3 of them had 3 perfect IVs, and the rest only had 1 or 2... this seems exceptionally slow and boring. Is there anything I can be doing better right now, until I get a male Froakie and female Froakie with 3 perfect IVs? All my 3 IV Froakies have been male... and the effort involved in getting even 4 IVs, let alone 5, really makes this feel like a competition between who has the most free time to waste, rather than who is the smartest breeder :/

Quick breeding question to make sure my head is on straight...

I caught 3 Dittos, one with max HP+ATK, one with max DEF+SpA, one with max SpD+SPEED. Setting aside the fact that I should probably try to find some 3-IV Dittos, I can use these three Dittos to get just about any 5-IV Pokémon I want, right?

Right now I have a Froakie with HP+Def+SpA and I am using my SpD+SPEED Ditto with it, Everstone and Destiny Knot. In a box full of Froakies, I think 3 of them had 3 perfect IVs, and the rest only had 1 or 2... this seems exceptionally slow and boring. Is there anything I can be doing better right now, until I get a male Froakie and female Froakie with 3 perfect IVs? All my 3 IV Froakies have been male... and the effort involved in getting even 4 IVs, let alone 5, really makes this feel like a competition between who has the most free time to waste, rather than who is the smartest breeder :/

If you start out with 1/2/3 IV parents, yeah, IV breeding is long, hard, and frustrating.

It gets immensely easier though once you get 3/4/5 IV parents, though. And it's harder with the mons who have a skewed gender ratio like Froakie, because you want to get better parents, and those females just always seem to never get anything good. But you will eventually get one, it's just chance.

Or you can read this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/some-sort-of-egg-rng-abuse.3491324/

If you start out with 1/2/3 IV parents, yeah, IV breeding is long, hard, and frustrating.

It gets immensely easier though once you get 3/4/5 IV parents, though. And it's harder with the mons who have a skewed gender ratio like Froakie, because you want to get better parents, and those females just always seem to never get anything good. But you will eventually get one, it's just chance.

Or you can read this thread: http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/some-sort-of-egg-rng-abuse.3491324/
Heh... got HP+Def+SpA+Speed (4 IV) just after posting. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, it seems. Can I get an entire Smogon forum created to complain about my breeding woes? Maybe increase my chances of success further?

I appreciate the feedback - thanks farranpoison :)

Last edited:
Is there some sort of limit to how often you can get evolution stones from secret super training? I've been doing the Hydreigon one, and I've gotten one Moon Stone, one Sun Stone, and nothing but PP Ups since then.

Speaking of hidden abilities, does anyone have any information on this happening during breeding?

I was breeding a 2nd Generation Hitmonchan with Keen Eye (parent came directly from the safari) holding a Destiny Knot with a Wild Lucario with Inner Focus (came directly from the safari) holding an Everstone, and precisely one of my Riolu offspring popped out with Prankster.

Is it because the Mother came directly from the Safari, or are there other circumstances surrounding this event?

ΩDonut

don't glaze me bro
is a Programmer Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Speaking of hidden abilities, does anyone have any information on this happening during breeding?

I was breeding a 2nd Generation Hitmonchan with Keen Eye (parent came directly from the safari) holding a Destiny Knot with a Wild Lucario with Inner Focus (came directly from the safari) holding an Everstone, and precisely one of my Riolu offspring popped out with Prankster.

Is it because the Mother came directly from the Safari, or are there other circumstances surrounding this event?

So guys, I'm not sure you guys have had this thing before, but I'm having a problem with the in-game time and daily activities. I have a 3DS and a XL, and they have different date and time setting (e.g. 11am, 11pm). First I played on XL, then I put the game on my 3DS and found out all the daily stuff in Lumiose City stop working like juice shop and loto-ID. they all telling me come back tomorrow. I have been testing this for 3 days they still saying the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and know how to solve the problem. if you do, please point me to the right direction. thanks a lot! (Sorry about the reply above, still learning how to get around here)

So guys, I'm not sure you guys have had this thing before, but I'm having a problem with the in-game time and daily activities. I have a 3DS and a XL, and they have different date and time setting (e.g. 11am, 11pm). First I played on XL, then I put the game on my 3DS and found out all the daily stuff in Lumiose City stop working like juice shop and loto-ID. they all telling me come back tomorrow. I have been testing this for 3 days they still saying the same thing. I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before and know how to solve the problem. if you do, please point me to the right direction. thanks a lot! (Sorry about the reply above, still learning how to get around here)
If it still works like in BW(2) then all daily events are reset when you start the game with another console or when you change the clock. How to solve that problem: Use only one console and wait until the day after tomorrow - they apparently did that so that the daily events cannot be abused but it still is annoying as hell, especially if you are into RNG.

If it still works like in BW(2) then all daily events are reset when you start the game with another console or when you change the clock. How to solve that problem: Use only one console and wait until the day after tomorrow - they apparently did that so that the daily events cannot be abused but it still is annoying as hell, especially if you are into RNG.
Thanks a lot for your timely answer!! I'll stick to one console now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)