Battle Mechanics Research

I don't recall it being mentioned elsewhere, but apparently Sky Drop now has a weight limit on it.
Tested with Dragonite using Sky Drop on Wailord.
Which is ironic, because isn't wailord actually really light?
Do you consider 877.4 lbs to be "really light"? ;)

You guys may have noticed that when non-flying Pokémon enter the field, they drop a short distance to the ground. Certain heavier Pokémon (Lapras and Scolipede, off the top of my head) generate a cloud of dust when they drop. I wonder if there's a correlation between this cloud of dust and whether the Pokémon can be affected by Sky Drop.

Do you consider 877.4 lbs to be "really light"? ;)

You guys may have noticed that when non-flying Pokémon enter the field, they drop a short distance to the ground. Certain heavier Pokémon (Lapras and Scolipede, off the top of my head) generate a cloud of dust when they drop. I wonder if there's a correlation between this cloud of dust and whether the Pokémon can be affected by Sky Drop.
Failed on Lapras, Snorlax and Hariyama. The dustcloud theory has weight (put not intended/ completely intended))

This could have big implications. Sky Drop Hawlucha may not be the terror of the skies i thought it may be in doubles.

What if a pokemon heavier than hawlucha uses Sky Drop? Think this is a ratio thing, like Heavy Slam, where your weight is also a factor?

Parallel was using Dragonite in his tests, so I guess we could just compare Dragonite to Hawlucha.
I checked, and Dragonite weighs nearly ten times what Hawlucha weighs! If someone tries to get Dragonite to lift Hariyama (or what have you), and if it fails, then I suppose the weight cutoff is static and we can continue to shun Sky Drop as we have in the past... Hopefully, they fixed the gravity glitch, at least, so that this semi-crappy move can at least be used at all... Although, if seriously fat Pokemon are totally immune to it, I fail to see any point to this move beyond an odd method for leftovers/Toxic stalling.

Anyone know if Retaliate got changed this generation? I feel like GF just MAY have buffed it to maybe always deal max damage instead of the max damage only working for one turn. Like how belch is always at max power after its criteria is met. This is just a gut feeling due to how they hid the TM for it all the way in the Battle Maison for a rather expensive price, and I'm sure everyone ignored the TM and instead got the EV training items, Life orbs, and etc. And I doubt anyone's Aegislash had the move for long enough to be able to tell.

On the flipside... I highly doubt it got changed though since the description specifically states "if an ally fainted the previous turn" but you never know...As of now it's like a one turn Facade with like 2 PP so you'd think they'd try and make it better.
I just tested Retaliate. My Retaliate first turn did the expected double damage, and the second turn it did half that. So it functions how it did last gen.

Although, if seriously fat Pokemon are totally immune to it, I fail to see any point to this move beyond an odd method for leftovers/Toxic stalling.
Sky Drop has huge strategy implications in Doubles and Triples. In Singles, it's pretty underwhelming.

I actually find that to be very surprising. Should we test other affects like worry seed or skill swap, or do you think that they work differently because they don't suppress the ability?
They almost certainly work differently. Worry Seed and Skill Swap actually replace the target's Ability, so mega evolution should override that with its own Ability. Gastro Acid simply causes a transient status ailment (disappears when the victim switches out) that suppresses whatever Ability the target has. I believe you can use Worry Seed on a target that has already been Gastro Acid-ed, and it will still suppress Insomnia.

Last edited:
They almost certainly work differently. Worry Seed and Skill Swap actually replace the target's Ability, so mega evolution should override that with its own Ability. Gastro Acid simply causes a transient status ailment (disappears when the victim switches out) that suppresses whatever Ability the target has. I believe you can use Worry Seed on a target that has already been Gastro Acid-ed, and it will still suppress Insomnia.
Yeah I kinda realized that half way through writing that question, but figured it was worth asking anyway. I have never really used gastro acid so I was not positive how it worked, but it is the only thing that makes you have no ability so it would have to work differently

Last edited:
Yeah I kinda realized that half way through writing that question, but figured it was worth asking anyway. I have never really used gastro acid so I was not positive how it worked, but it is the only thing that makes you have no ability so it would have to work differently
But that's just it. Gastro Acid doesn't make you have no Ability. It just makes your Ability nonfunctional. If you Gastro Acid a Slaking and then use Skill Swap on it, you'll still pull a fully functional Truant off of it and it'll get your Ability, which won't function.

But that's just it. Gastro Acid doesn't make you have no Ability. It just makes your Ability nonfunctional. If you Gastro Acid a Slaking and then use Skill Swap on it, you'll still pull a fully functional Truant off of it and it'll get your Ability, which won't function.
Sorry, I meant functionally no ability, not that it actually cleared your ability or something. I meant that it was the only way to have ability in effect on your pokemon. Everything else just swaps or changes your ability. Gastro Acid suppresses it. I still find it mildly surprising that it stays suppressed if changed by other means, but I suppose it must have worked that way in other gens with skill swap and the like, so if I had known that I would indeed not have been surprised that mega evolving did not affect the gastro acid either.

I just tested Parental Bond with fixed damage moves such as Seismic Toss. Both hits deal the same damage, so Seismic Toss always does 200 damage at level 100.
Just wanted to back up this research. Tested this myself:

Kangaskhan and Reuniclus were active
Kangaskhan Mega Evolves, kills pansear in le nah
Reuniclus uses Skill Swap Mega Kangaskhan
Switch Mega Kangaskhan for Blissey
Reuniclus users Skill Swap on Blissey
Level 52 Blissey users Skill Swap on Reuniclus. Reuniclus is at 164 HP before the attack. The first hit takes him down to 112 HP. The second hit to 60.

I tested Disable and Encore.

First turn, I disabled Leer on Pansear.
Second turn, I encored Pansear. The Pansear that turn attempted to use Leer but it failed. No Struggle.
Third turn, Pansear used Struggle.

I am not exactly sure how it worked before, but that's how Disable + Encore work now. It forces a struggle when both are in effect, starting on the second lost turn.

I tested Disable and Encore.

First turn, I disabled Leer on Pansear.
Second turn, I encored Pansear. The Pansear that turn attempted to use Leer but it failed. No Struggle.
Third turn, Pansear used Struggle.

I am not exactly sure how it worked before, but that's how Disable + Encore work now. It forces a struggle when both are in effect, starting on the second lost turn.
This is how it worked before, no change.

We can comfirm that the ability Competitive raises the Pokemon's SAtk by two stages when activated. Somewhere in this thread as well as in Serebii it is said that it only raises the SAtk by one stage, which, we can guarantee you, is wrong. We have got the ability activated by multiple Intimidates as well as Bulldoze.

However, it is correct that you cannot ping Competitive with the partner. Tested with Feather Dance and Confide.

Addendum: We need to check it our own Bulldoze can activate Competitive. We will do this soon but if someone of you have already tested that, feel free to add that piece of information.

Result Edit: Turns out that Bulldoze by your partner does not trigger Competitive.

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Not sure if it used to or not (or if it's already been documented), but Pressure now seems to stack. I was facing a Zapdos and Entei in the Battle Maison; I used Trick Room and the PP went down to 2 from 5.

Edit: oh, and Frisk reveals all items on the opposing team, even if the Pokemon is on the far side (in Triples).

Last edited:
Not sure if it used to or not (or if it's already been documented), but Pressure now seems to stack. I was facing a Zapdos and Entei in the Battle Maison; I used Trick Room and the PP went down to 2 from 5.
I definitely remember it stacking with moves that targeted the Pressure Pokemon (Surf, Water Spout, etc.) but I don't remember Pressure activating when using attacks like Trick Room that essentially target the field.

With the new weight limitations on Sky Drop, it might be a good idea to see if Iron Ball prevents it from being used on the holder as well.
Also, presumably Float Stone can bring a user's weight down enough for it to be Sky Dropped. We may want to test in order to make sure this is true.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus

Edit: oh, and Frisk reveals all items on the opposing team, even if the Pokemon is on the far side (in Triples).
What happens if the pokémon targets itself (in example, Softboiled Blissey vs. Zapdos)?

Marty

Always more to find
is a Site Content Manageris a Battle Simulator Administratoris a Programmeris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Researcheris a Top Tiering Contributor
Research Leader
With the new weight limitations on Sky Drop, it might be a good idea to see if Iron Ball prevents it from being used on the holder as well.
Iron Ball only halves Speed and grounds the holder, it has no effect on weight.
What happens if the pokémon targets itself (in example, Softboiled Blissey vs. Zapdos)?
Pressure has affected moves that target all Pokemon on the field (such as Trick Room, Rain Dance, Perish Song, etc.) since Gen 4, and it only increases PP usage of moves from the opposing side, not the Pressure Pokemon itself or its allies. Self-targeting moves have never been affected by Pressure from any Pokemon.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)