Consecutive Fishing!

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I just bred a shiny Chinchou on my first egg. I mention it here because I bred it from a non-shiny Lanturn I caught during a 100+ chain that did not result in a shiny. This could be coincidence--I was using a Japanese Ditto as well--but I think it's worth noting.
It's because of Japanese Ditto - has nothing to do with your Lanturn you used as a parent.

Do you have to encounter the same poke over and over again for it to count (like the pokeradar)? I have been considering using the Old Rod since it would guarantee the same thing again and again (I am aiming for a shiny Adamant/Jolly Magikarp), but if not then I might as well stick to the super since it has a better rate, from what I have seen.

Do you have to encounter the same poke over and over again for it to count (like the pokeradar)? I have been considering using the Old Rod since it would guarantee the same thing again and again (I am aiming for a shiny Adamant/Jolly Magikarp), but if not then I might as well stick to the super since it has a better rate, from what I have seen.
You do not have to encounter the same pokemon in order for the chain to build.

Unrelated to the above, earlier this week I was consecutive fishing on Route 8 to try and get a shiny Clawitzer. Probably thirty in and I find a shiny qwilfish. I'm thinking, "okay, I'll catch you..." Thirty more and I find another shiny qwilfish. I caught this one as well, mostly because I like shinies. About eight more and I find a Clawitzer, maybe the eighth or ninth one. The silhouette disappears and becomes this bright red shade. I freaked out. I catch the thing, and immediately leave the route, proud of my chain.
Later I go and talk to the guy who tells you about consecutive fishing and he tells me the chain I had just collected (it was my first one). 68. 68 pokemon was all it took for me to get annoyed of qwilfish and freak out over a shiny pokemon that only took about an hour and a half to find.

Long story short, I have incredibly good luck.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
12 fishes and I got a shiny qwilfish! Question: does saving or shutting down restart the chain? It's be nice if I could get a decent chain, save, and play the next day.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I just tried this for the first time. Shiny Remoraid at 125. Ugh. (I was going for Clamperl!)

I feel your pain, Stellar. Been trying to get a shiny Clauncher since I first saw this thread. Gotten about a dozen or so 50+ chains with no shinies whatsoever. This morning I finally saw the sparkle... it was a damn Staryu.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I got a shiny Poliwhirl and Shiny Seaking at Route 16 and Parfum Palace respectively, both under 25 chains. But before, between, and after I've had a couple of ~90 chains that resulted in nothing. Since at the times I caught them, I did none of the following things, I was wondering if certain other things can effect the chain, such as:
Having a mon faint
Having a mon evolve
Opening the bag
Using items
Using O-Powers
(I don't like running from the battle as gaining exp is nice)

also, this:
12 fishes and I got a shiny qwilfish! Question: does saving or shutting down restart the chain? It's be nice if I could get a decent chain, save, and play the next day.

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I was too slow when I got a bit and accidentally I broke my chain (it was only around twenty so it didn't matter), but again, on the 12th fish, I caught yet another shiny Qwilfish. I'm on my 50th now but I haven't seen anything since. This makes me wonder: does chain length really matter? Maybe I'm just lucky, but getting shinies so early on makes me think that the number of fish chained doesn't really affect the chances of you catching a shiny. A number of posters have complained that long chains are yielding anything, so maybe multiple short chains are the way to go? Obviously, this is anecdotal evidence and may not be accurate, but it's just food for though. What have you guys been seeing?

I was determined to catch a Shiny Magikarp at Parfum Palace. So I did.

...its characteristic is "Highly Persistent." It's a sign.
Which rod did you use? Old? Good? Super?

Slightly unrelated, but do the rods have different rates of landing a bite? I've been trying and so far the Super gets more bites than the others (or I am crazy).

I had a chain of thirty Shellder near Shalour city, and it got broken by a Qwilfish. How long am I supposed to chain for a shiny? :(

Slightly unrelated, but do the rods have different rates of landing a bite? I've been trying and so far the Super gets more bites than the others (or I am crazy).
I assume since he caught a Magikarp he was using an Old Rod.

I had a chain of thirty Shellder near Shalour city, and it got broken by a Qwilfish. How long am I supposed to chain for a shiny? :(
You don't need to fish the same pokemon over and over--you can even swap between rods to increase your chances.

From what I've been reading from this thread and others, about 40-50 consecutive reel-ins seems average per shiny. Obviously some people will say it took them 100+ and they got nothing, but just as many will say they got one in 4 or 5.

I personally got a Shiny Basculin on one reel-in, but I don't think it was a result of any chaining, since it was the first cast I had done in that area.

Yes; Old Rod. I noticed that, using the Super Rod in the same location, my chains were broken several times by "no bites" (despite the fact that I had a Suction Cups Inkay in the front of my party), but the Old Rod got a bite every time. So, if the type of rod even matters, oddly enough, you'd probably have a better chance with the Old Rod (logic I used when deciding to try for a Shiny Magikarp)?

Oh well, back to fishing to try and test some more factors...

You don't need to fish the same pokemon over and over--you can even swap between rods to increase your chances.
I'm not sure if switching rods actually does anything...?

Caught another Shiny Magikarp...

I didn't count exactly how long the chain was, but I know that it was greater than 20, but most likely not greater than 50, which supports the theory of shorter chains being more fruitful.

Now, at last, I shall experiment with the Good and Super Rods at Parfum Palace.

EDIT:
Shiny Goldeen at Parfum Palace, standing in the exact same spot (not that it matters; just want to keep all the factors the same except for the variable), using a Good Rod. With the Good Rod, my chain broke twice because of "no bite" before I found a shiny; the chain was 23.

After I do some testing on the Super Rod, I'll keep going with the Old Rod in the same spot and see if I get any chain breaks because of "no bite."

Last edited:
I feel your pain, Stellar. Been trying to get a shiny Clauncher since I first saw this thread. Gotten about a dozen or so 50+ chains with no shinies whatsoever. This morning I finally saw the sparkle... it was a damn Staryu.
i would contact skylight , she has about ten shiny claunchers, and only because she wanted to find a shiny staryu lol

I've caught and traded like ten red gyarados on GTS for Xerneas and Yveltal "currency".

Nine of them had a serious nature. Hence the trading.

I've caught and traded like ten red gyarados on GTS for Xerneas and Yveltal "currency".

Nine of them had a serious nature. Hence the trading.
If only Synchronize and IV breeding worked with this...stinks that I spent over an hour with no shiny, then realized that I would need a shiny with a good nature (adamant Magikarp) AND good IVs...Baller...

If only Synchronize and IV breeding worked with this...stinks that I spent over an hour with no shiny, then realized that I would need a shiny with a good nature (adamant Magikarp) AND good IVs...Baller...
If you want a good IV/Natured shiny, you'd best try your luck with the Masuda Method.

Otherwise, this sort of shiny capture thing seems to be fore aesthetics only, unless you get lucky.

If you want a good IV/Natured shiny, you'd best try your luck with the Masuda Method.

Otherwise, this sort of shiny capture thing seems to be fore aesthetics only, unless you get lucky.
Hey, I got five in an hour. My luck will change eventually, the sheer volume of shinies you can get this way almost guarantees something good eventually, and if not... GTS fodder.

I kept reeling in the line too soon because I'm a noob at fishing. But I finally managed to get a shiny Octillery on the 46th reel-in. Of course it ended up having a special attack lowering nature and crappy IV's, but hey, I got one.

Got a Shiny Horsea in about a half an hour. This is awesome, since I'm pretty much incompetent with the Radar (my longest chain is 15.)
Probably use this on GTS to get some legendaries. This is kind of addicting.

Only thing is getting foreign pokes isn't easy, especially since I am having HORRIBLE luck on the GTS and wonder trade. But whatever, at least all those magikarps are good for IV breeding a non-shiny flawless one.

Also been using the chains for getting me a shellder. My logic is that even if I don't get a shiny one I at least get good IV'd ones (got one with "relatively superior" and perfect attack and SDef). Only shiny I got was a Corsola (I chained for it to give shellder Rock Blast).

If you decide to fish on Route 8, DOnt use the Super Rod.
Use good rod instead in order to avoid qwilfish.

I dont say Qwilfish is useless though; You can still trade them for mewtwos on the gts. However, Starmie (about 40% with good rod, but only like maybe 10% with super) is an almost guaranteed Articuno.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)