Pokémon Rotom-H

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rotom didn't get anything new this gen besides Fairy resist and neutral coverage against Steel. Doesn't this belong in the old mon mega thread? Otherwise every electric or fire type will clog the forum when there really wasn't anything significant changed to the actual pokemon being discussed.

Rotom didn't get anything new this gen besides Fairy resist and neutral coverage against Steel. Doesn't this belong in the old mon mega thread? Otherwise every electric or fire type will clog the forum when there really wasn't anything significant changed to the actual pokemon being discussed.
1. Rotom-H is the only Electric/Fire type thus far.
2. There are so many changes in game mechanics that it has given Rotom-H so many new toys in the current meta-game that it cannot be overlooked as easily as some of the other old mons. This alters his competitiveness to such an extent I think it requires a thread for itself, regardless of whether it is just mechanics and new threats which have changed for him, it may alter where he stands and I feel should be further discussed.
3. Immunity to Paralysis with the new electric type mechanics has also changed for him making one of the best status absorbers.

I personally think that this in itself is more than some of the Pokemon with new moves that have come up with their own threads and hence deserves its own discussion.

For my team, I've highly considered this guy since I really needed a fire-type that can also check Talonflame (and isn't named Heatran, I battle in-game)... I almost completely overlooked him so I'm excited to give him a whirl! It also seems to have some other nice perks like resisting Fairy, being immune to Burns AND paralysis, and packing a (truly) unique STAB combo. :O

edit: AND it checks Mega Mawile and Aegislash? Wow. I'm gonna try an Assault Vest set first.

Its fairly minor, but seeing as Sticky Web is now a thing, Galvantula wants nothing to do with Rotom-H. Levitate will protect it from the speed drop, and a good prediction or even a bait on the switch will essentially lose the opponent the Galvantula or will prevent them from getting up the sticky web in the first place. Its ability to check a good number of newly viable pokes is going to make it invaluable on a lot of teams. It definitely deserves its own thread.

Why have a set with both T-wave and Wow. It allows you to cripple both fast pokemon and heavy hitters, as well as being able to switch into both. I'm not even sure I would run overheat. Well... idk. Maybe forgo a rest set for Overheat. Rotom shouldn't really be switching into a hydro pump. I have assault vest Goodra for that. It takes a Hydro from pretty much anything no sweat. Maybe a scarf set would be good.

Rotom H @ chesto berry/leftovers
Volt switch
Will o wisp
Thunder wave
Rest/overheat?
A double status Rotom-H is better in practice than on paper. Often when people see a SDef Rotom, they tend to assume it only runs a single Status Move (usually WoW) and like to switch in stuff like Volcarona, Blaziken, or special attackers like Alakazam on it. The characteristic thing about these threats are that most of them rely a lot on speed. Catching them with a Thunder Wave makes life pretty hard for them. Overheat should still be run imo so it is plausible to drop Chesto Rest for the additional status move.

Assault Vest set you say? Having to rely on Overheat for its only STAB Fire move kind of removes the potential of that set. It also would have to rely on Discharge for paralysis and can't Trick. It seems like too big a trade off for something that usually carries attached least two support moves.

Okuu

Blame [me] for Global Warming!
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnus
With Mold Breaker Excadrill present in a large number of teams, Rotom-H is going to be much more vulnerable to Earthquake than it thought.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
With Mold Breaker Excadrill present in a large number of teams, Rotom-H is going to be much more vulnerable to Earthquake than it thought.
This applies to a lot of Rotoms, including WashToms.

That said, while WashToms are pretty manhandled by LumHarvest Trevenants for the most part, HeatToms can just blast the tree with Overheat, making it so that you often get to burn something on your opponent's team. As a tradeoff, you can't deal with Poison Heal Gliscor (especially Substitute ones) as easily as WashTom, though if that grinds your gears you could run Hidden power Ice for it.

Last edited:
This applies to a lot of Rotoms, including WashToms.
None of the others are 4x ground weak, though. S is immune, C is neutral, and F and W are only 2x weak. Granted, a 2x STAB Earthquake from Excadrill is plenty painful already, and using that to wreck Rotom-W is pretty much the whole idea behind using the ability.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I actually tried out ChestoRest Rotom-H before, and I was kind of annoyed at the lack of opportunities to set up Rest given how easily it's worn down with no passive recovery. In spite of it I switched over to a double-status Rotom-H in pre-Pokebank OU (Where the Pain Split is unavailable :\) and I gotta say it works wonders as a decent special tank, as most of you guys already know. On top of checking most attackers who get their STAB(s) resisted by it, a big threat this guy also checks is Mega Charizard Y, a Pokemon I hadn't taken much preparation for. The standard build of Fire Blast, Solarbeam, and Focus Blast is laughed at by Rotom-H, who can paralyze it should it go for an attack, and then Volt Switch immediately after for significant damage. It's definitely one of the few edges it has over Rotom-W, though the SR weakness and the fact Hydro Pump > Overheat kinda hurts in comparison, I find this Pokemon just as easy to fit into teams as most people find Rotom-W to fit in. It really shines if your team's able to keep Stealth Rock away, or at least offer some Wish support.

I've been running Chesto Berry with Overheat/Volt Switch/Toxic/Rest. Toxic has been surprisingly effective because of the coverage it provides, since Steels, Poisons and things like Breloom don't switch into him. I'm missing Pain Split though, especially with Rotom's SR weakness, and I really wish it got Fire Blast instead.

I've been lurking as a reader here for a while and I gotta admit i'm liking the little toaster Oven. I'm liking the Twave, WoW option but for coverage against Glisor any one think of hidden power Ice/Water? Managed to IV breed a Rotom with it and now i'm curious how it would work.

Basically what i've got is
H-Rotom
Modest
Item- White Herb
252 HP/252 spAt

Thunderbolt
Over heat
Hp Ice
Shadowball/DPulse

with SWeb support little guy is pretty darn useful as a special attacker. Also helps to get rid of it's counters before hand. Note this is the first time I'm using Rotom in general. Under the sun OverHeat is monsterous.

Wish it could get SolarBeam or something for it's Washing Machine bretheren.

I ran an assult vest on it during the battle institute and I was surprised what it could stand up to.

Last edited:
I'm seeing a lot of variants using the microwave but for the actual users of this thing, what's do you feel has been most successful so far? I needed a talonflame/ferro/charizard (blaziken maybe with thunder wave?) check and just happened to got a modest one from a trade, and I'm assuming EVs in HP and Sp. Atk. (w/leftovers, white herb or expert belt) should suffice, does this thing require any sort of specific speed EV investment to out speed certain things that you guys encountered?

I am also watching this but is there a thread for rotom-w tho? sorry tc.
I believe this is still the only Rotom thread in Uncharted Territory and I'd say it is because out of all of its variations, this one seems to have gotten the biggest buff by far this gen whilst the majority have pretty much stayed the same but gotten a Paralysis immunity, which isn't as good as Rotom-H's dual status immunity now.

^ A nice thought, although I think that Rotom-C's typing still unfortunately hold much more defensively against the Washing Machine and Oven. And it also suffers the same problem Rotom-H of only STAB move for its secondary typing, which is Leaf Storm, which isn't as good of an offensive attack in the meta-game as Overheat.

been testing this guy out with a choice scarf set on some of my teams. getting a free switch into a thunder wave or will-o-wisp helps this guy to no end
PS: (Choice Scarf Rotom-H set using overheat against an Excadrill with max ev's in special defense and Adamant nature is a guaranteed OHKO)

The thing is, while Rotom-H has very useful niche, it gets walled hard by TTar, Garchomp, the new addition Zygarde could jump in and just Coil all over it's face, and a few other things check it really well, especially after HP nerf. But weather nerfs and Paralysis immunity are great buffs, and it has amazing dual stabs with the capability to wreck lots of mons. It's one of the only Rotom forms (cough looking at you Rotom-Fan coughs) that really benefits from it's ability in Levitate, giving it yet MORE opportunities to switch in and wreck some shit. It has lots of utility and uses, and I predict both Rotom-W and Rotom-H will stay in and around the same tier, namely OU or UU. Both of the forms have very valuable niches, it just depends on which one will be most commonly useful. H seems like a great addition to hyper offensive teams, or just offensively oriented teams in general, whereas W loves being bulky and annoying.

On a sidenote, Rotom is so adorable in X and Y xD He's so small!
Neither one of these pokemon appreciates the burn though and Rotom-H can effectively cripple them for the rest of the match. And thats not worth the wall imo

Neither one of these pokemon appreciates the burn though and Rotom-H can effectively cripple them for the rest of the match. And thats not worth the wall imo
HP ice can also deal with dual type dragons like Chomp and to some extent, Salamence, that think they can get a free switch on you

I've been using Rotom H in the random 3v3 rating matches and I have to say he's the star of the team. I lead almost every match with him, a job he does well thanks to double status immunity, double status spreading, a threatening stab combination, decent power and bulk, and 9 resistances.
My Set:
Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
His job is mostly to screw with the opponent's team and cripple threats for his mates. It helps that he also walls/KOs Talonflame. The seeming lack of stealth rock also seems to be helping him a lot though. (Perhaps I will see more as my rank goes up?) Oh, and if you're wondering why there's no leftovers... there's an item clause, and I figured Ferrothorn would appreciate it more. I considered chesto-rest, but the double status does so much for the team in short matches.

Can this guy learn pain split or only after pokebank?
I thinking about using a double status(like the one ChaosWalker its using) pairing with some wish suport coming from my florges since it can take steel and poison atks that was going to hit florges.

I think both this guy and Rotom-C have very similar arguments as to their validity for OU now due to new status resistances. Go Rotom!

I've been using Rotom H in the random 3v3 rating matches and I have to say he's the star of the team. I lead almost every match with him, a job he does well thanks to double status immunity, double status spreading, a threatening stab combination, decent power and bulk, and 9 resistances.
My Set:
Rotom-Heat @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Overheat
- Thunder Wave
- Will-O-Wisp
His job is mostly to screw with the opponent's team and cripple threats for his mates. It helps that he also walls/KOs Talonflame. The seeming lack of stealth rock also seems to be helping him a lot though. (Perhaps I will see more as my rank goes up?) Oh, and if you're wondering why there's no leftovers... there's an item clause, and I figured Ferrothorn would appreciate it more. I considered chesto-rest, but the double status does so much for the team in short matches.
Good post, i have an identical Rotom EV yield I've been using Rotom-W in doubles, i might use tinker around using this for some singles match.

What teammates do you use to compliment Rotom-H. You said Ferrothorn are there any other options?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)