Move Infestation (and trapping moves in general)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just point of order, Tangrowth's SpA is 110, which is ten points higher than its Attack. Stun Spore is nice, but I feel like the miss rate isn't worth it, unlike Sleep Powder. But to each their own.

Nope. BP and U-Turn and Volt Switch all slip away from trapping moves.
Oh crud, I was thinking his SpD stat. My bad.

I'm actually kind of excited to test out Infestation on a 252HP/252Def Cradily with Ttar Sandstorm support. I realize that Sand Storm won't be up all the time, and Fighting moves still threaten, but to anything else, a Infestation/Toxic/Stockpile/Rest or Recover Cradily might do some serious damage with Binding Band. Cradily, my favorite fossil, might actually be somewhat useful now.

So the usual problem with Infestation and friends is that your opponent gets the opportunity to switch in a counter, right? This can actually be used to your advantage by running a trapping set on a pokemon that doesn't usually use one in order to lure specific targets. A moveset of Trap/Protect/Substitute/Attacking move with a Binding Band can handily take down some opponents without even giving them a chance to respond: Four turns of Binding Band trap move will remove 66.66% of the opponent's health, and can be stalled out with Protect, Substitute, Protect. On something like Accelgor that can Substitute before the opponent attacks, the only real problems are outspeeders (scarf, STRONG priority), phazers, and opponents packing a recovery move (although if you can predict the recovery it'll net you a free switch-in!). Gengar is another amusing option, although opponents will be expecting to be Shadow Tagged which means it's a lot harder to catch something that wasn't expecting to be caught.

The other option is to grab something bulky enough to cop a single hit from common counters and simply accept the damage on the second turn (this has the advantage that your fourth move can smack them for additional damage). Or you could just do both and use Tentacruel, which will conveniently lure in and promptly murder spinblockers that it would otherwise lose to. Zygarde is another solid choice, boasting solid bulk and reasonable speed (although Bind is not completely accurate). Dragonite gets access to Bind from a Move Tutor and is extremely difficult to OHKO thanks to multiscale, too. Scolipede has poor defenses, but will have +2 from Speed Boost if you successfully threaten an opponent out and Protect, allowing it to outspeed nearly everything (and it's not weak to any priority attacks either!). Spiritomb is, as always, a royal pain in the behind to actually kill. Dusknoir is an excellent candidate, boasting a solid Attack stat, STAB that isn't resisted by much since Steel lost the Ghost resistance, and the ability to force quite a few things out. And finally, Quagsire has a unique niche amongst defensive users in that the opponent can't simply boost on your Protect turn and then beat you down turn 2, thanks to Unaware. However, it does tend to lure in things capable of OHKOing it.

In summary, binding moves allow many pokemon to handle opponents that commonly switch into them by essentially frustrating them to death. This lets them act as good lures for specific opponents or even broad classes of enemies, sniping or at worst severely weakening key opposition members to set up for an ally.

EDIT: In Pokebank, Tyranitar does a nice job. It gets access to Whirlpool from Gen 4, Sandstorm damage adds an additional 25% over four turns for a whopping 91.66% of the target's health in percentage damage, and it has very solid bulk. The 4x Fighting weakness is likely your biggest problem, in which case Hippowdon can be considered instead (it gets Sand Tomb for a similar effect, which with a BP of 35 might actually do the 9% required to KO the target with no additional input)

Last edited:
So the usual problem with Infestation and friends is that your opponent gets the opportunity to switch in a counter, right? This can actually be used to your advantage by running a trapping set on a pokemon that doesn't usually use one in order to lure specific targets. A moveset of Trap/Protect/Substitute/Attacking move with a Binding Band can handily take down some opponents without even giving them a chance to respond: Four turns of Binding Band trap move will remove 66.66% of the opponent's health, and can be stalled out with Protect, Substitute, Protect. On something like Accelgor that can Substitute before the opponent attacks, the only real problems are outspeeders (scarf, STRONG priority), phazers, and opponents packing a recovery move (although if you can predict the recovery it'll net you a free switch-in!). Gengar is another amusing option, although opponents will be expecting to be Shadow Tagged which means it's a lot harder to catch something that wasn't expecting to be caught.

The other option is to grab something bulky enough to cop a single hit from common counters and simply accept the damage on the second turn (this has the advantage that your fourth move can smack them for additional damage). Or you could just do both and use Tentacruel, which will conveniently lure in and promptly murder spinblockers that it would otherwise lose to. Zygarde is another solid choice, boasting solid bulk and reasonable speed (although Bind is not completely accurate). Dragonite gets access to Bind from a Move Tutor and is extremely difficult to OHKO thanks to multiscale, too. Scolipede has poor defenses, but will have +2 from Speed Boost if you successfully threaten an opponent out and Protect, allowing it to outspeed nearly everything (and it's not weak to any priority attacks either!). Spiritomb is, as always, a royal pain in the behind to actually kill. Dusknoir is an excellent candidate, boasting a solid Attack stat, STAB that isn't resisted by much since Steel lost the Ghost resistance, and the ability to force quite a few things out. And finally, Quagsire has a unique niche amongst defensive users in that the opponent can't simply boost on your Protect turn and then beat you down turn 2, thanks to Unaware. However, it does tend to lure in things capable of OHKOing it.

In summary, binding moves allow many pokemon to handle opponents that commonly switch into them by essentially frustrating them to death. This lets them act as good lures for specific opponents or even broad classes of enemies, sniping or at worst severely weakening key opposition members to set up for an ally.
Zygarde gets Coil though, so accuracy isn't any real issue. :)

Zygarde@Leftovers
Aura Break
Calm 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spd
~ Coil
~ Bind
~ Glare
~ Dig/Protect/Swagger/EQ/Extremespeed

It could be seen as a waste of his potential, but honestly few pokemon are as bulky AND fast as Zygarde is outside of Ubers. With a paralysis move that even hits Ground types Zygarde will have plenty of opportunity to set up Coils. To the point in fact he can potentially get to an absurdly high level off the unsuspecting and then sweep with Extremespeed. Dig acts as pseudo-Protect. Protect is... Protect. Swagger has the benefit of being mitigated by Coil and there's no chance of "wasting" a Protect on a turn the enemy has full paralysis, or just ES/EQ if you want to wreak havoc afterward.

Are people forgetting the classic gen V Lapras set?

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Whirlpool
Perish Song
Rain Dance
Rest

And this set failed to make an impact even in NU, where Lapras is bulky enough not to be OHKO'd by much (which is all that is needed for the strategy to work).

Bottom line: even with the buffs these moves have, they still have little use because the opponent can switch as they are used, meaning he can choose to switch in a counter, which won't get trapped because it will force the trapper out.

Are people forgetting the classic gen V Lapras set?

Lapras @ Leftovers
Ability: Hydration
Whirlpool
Perish Song
Rain Dance
Rest

And this set failed to make an impact even in NU, where Lapras is bulky enough not to be OHKO'd by much (which is all that is needed for the strategy to work).

Bottom line: even with the buffs these moves have, they still have little use because the opponent can switch as they are used, meaning he can choose to switch in a counter, which won't get trapped because it will force the trapper out.
The buffs mean you can do 1/6 of the counter's HP per turn, and Protect/Substutite let you stall out four turns of damage if you're faster (You only need Protect if the counter can't OHKO in return, too). Essentially, the trick to making these things useful is devising trapping sets that can outright slay the pokemon's usual counters (which, conveniently, provides a reason to use the set over other sets). The above set is vulnerable to 2HKOs (Assuming you use Whirlpool on the switch-in, you have to survive to hit both Perish Song and Rest)

The other option is to grab something bulky enough to cop a single hit from common counters and simply accept the damage on the second turn (this has the advantage that your fourth move can smack them for additional damage). Or you could just do both and use Tentacruel, which will conveniently lure in and promptly murder spinblockers that it would otherwise lose to.
IIRC, Ghost types (ie, spinblockers) can switch out of trapping moves, much like they're immune to stuff like Shadow Tag.

Pyroar's competitive utility turned out to be disappointing compared to its awesome design.
But the combination of a fast Will-o-wisp and the signature Noble Roar is unique.
Here's a little thing I've been pondering about:
Timid Pyroar@Leftovers: Fire Spin | Noble Roar | Will-o-wisp | Taunt

Its speed is an important asset and Timid is needed to be able to outrun +ve base 100 physical attackers and burn them before taking an attack.
The rest of EVs should go into HP and SpD because Grass, Ice, Fairy, and Fire show up more commonly as special attacks and it also has Will-o-wisp to use against physical attackers.
Fire Spin is there for trapping and residual damage. As already discussed, anything both burned and taking trap damage will be losing 1/4 of its HP every turn.
Noble Roar lowers both Atk and SpA of the trapped Pokemon making it easier for Pyroar to take the hits. Pyroar may also switch out and present the debuffed Pokemon to a teammate as setup bait.
Taunt rounds out the set and should be especially useful against walls to prevent them from healing themselves or phazing/statusing Pyroar.
I don't know why GF didn't give this thing Intimidate. That would have been epic.

IIRC, Ghost types (ie, spinblockers) can switch out of trapping moves, much like they're immune to stuff like Shadow Tag.
Huh, right you are. However, this presents another opportunity: If you can predict the switch-out, you can Rapid Spin as they leave to achieve your primary aim anyway.

Infestation is... a contact move? What. I assumed it was the mon summoning a horde of insects to infest the opponent, I don't see how it's a contact move.

Anyway, tried out an Infestation Cradily on Wifi. It's surprisingly bulky; it can laugh off an Azumarill's CB'd Waterfall decently, and I've gotten a few opponents that have nothing to deal with my +3 Cradily, and then it Infests a good chunk of their team.

There are problems with it, though. Aside from the obvious weaknesses to Fighting and Ice, the main problem I've found is running either Recover or Rest. Recover allows Cradily to get a Stockpile, Recover off some damage, and then Stockpile again to further take laughable damage and get off an Infestation. However, Burns and Poison annoy Cradily, so Rest takes care of that, at the cost of two turns in which your opponent can keep attacking when you've not got enough Stockpiles up.

Also, boosting enemies give Cradily trouble. I could take a Garchomp with Life Orb, but if against one with Swords Dance I'm beat. (also seeing a lot of Garchomps with Brick Break. Is this new or something?) I really wish Stockpile could go to +6, that'd be amazing. Or if Cradily got Cosmic Power.

Edit: Also, crits. But that's hax for you.

Double Edit: I do see this build's potential against enemy walls, however. Drop in on them, trap them, toxic them (if possible), stockpile while they feebly throw status at you, and then Rest off the accumulated status/damage. If they're not dead by the time Infestation wears off, you'll be ideally at +3, at full/near full health, and ready to tank whatever switchin they have.

Triple Edit: However, the Rotom gang give this build troubles. Or really anything that has Volt Switch/U-Turn/Ghost type. But that's kinda obvious, isn't it?

Last edited:

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Just a question: With the passive damage buff to 1/8, why not use the Grip Claw on a stall set?
It makes the moves last 8 turns, so it's an automatic KO. With things like Roost, Vespiquen is a nice, albeit not-very-usable user of Infestation.
In addition, Dusknoir has the potential to run a surprise trapping set with Infestation, pain split, etc.

Just a question: With the passive damage buff to 1/8, why not use the Grip Claw on a stall set?
It makes the moves last 8 turns, so it's an automatic KO. With things like Roost, Vespiquen is a nice, albeit not-very-usable user of Infestation.
In addition, Dusknoir has the potential to run a surprise trapping set with Infestation, pain split, etc.
My only thought on this is that it's easier for the opponent to KO you over 6~8 turns as opposed to the 4 you need to net a kill, particularly since you can Protect off half the turns and one of them is presumably a switch-in, meaning the Grip Claw leaves you vulnerable to an attack from a pokemon they switched in specifically to counter you for 2~3 turns, whereas the binding band means you only have to get hit once.

I found Pain Split on Dusclops/Dusknoir to be very awkward with Infestation and/or Will-o-wisp. You want to set up infestation and will-o-wisp first, and by that time Pain Split doesn't really do much. In addition, Pain Split is requires you to have 0 HP EVs to make the most of it and Dusclops just gains SO MUCH MORE bulkiness by investing in HP compared to Def/SpD.

I've been rocking the following set and find Dusclops to frequently be my MVP

Dusclops @ Eviolite
Ability: Pressure
Infestation
Night Shade/WoW
Sleep Talk
Rest

I actually won a fight thanks to Pressure against Porygon-2. That was a very painful fight.
I prefer using Night Shade just because it does so much more damage than WoW without any investment, has 100% accuracy, and doesn't care if they're a special attacker, wall, or physical attacker. In addition, WoW is dead against toxic/burn orb users and anything with magic bounce. WoW does make him understandably more durable to physical attacks though and allows you to ignore Def EVs

AV goodra with infestation and Leftovers Dragonite with wrap are the only worthwhile OU users of trapping moves I've run into, but if anyone finds some others, I'd love to hear them.
I've had some pretty consistent success with Mew on Showdown! (Pokebank OU of course). Mew has actually scored a few KO's and has made healthy contributions to the team's success.
Mew @ Leftovers
Timid
252 HP, 4 Def, 252 Speed
Infestation
Roost
Substitute
Will-o-wisp

This set has a good deal of trouble with walls like Blissey. The one I faced had Heal Bell to cure the burn and Wish to heal the passive damage. However, Mew was able to trap and remove Shuckle, Mega Mawile, Mega Gardevoir and Heatran. The burn helps tremendously with Mega Mawile. Heatran has the potential to be a large pain for this set if it carries Leftovers though since Mew can't burn or toxic it and Leftovers help mitigate Infestation damage (the one I faced was specially defensive with a Balloon). This set came in handy in a variety of situations and was never really expected by my opponent but had to be played carefully, especially around faster Pokemon, namely Greninja.

The only reason to use Ariados is Sticky Web but it has good synergy with his other moves:
Infestation | Sticky Web | Toxic Spikes | Venom Drench

The aim is really to support the team but this spider could entrap an unfortunate victim in a pinch.
Bug, Fighting, Poison, Fairy and Grass resists are nice as is Insomnia's protection from the latter's sleep moves. Sticky Web + Poison + Venom Drench means a switch in could immediately find itself with -1/-1/-2 debuffs. Infestation forces a favourable matchup to stay in while Araidos stalls or it can switch to a setup sweeper.

Just sharing, not so much of a success but...oh well, I will let the reader decide.
Pokemon
Quagsire (Ev: HP and Def)
-Infestation
-Scald -> Thinking about changing this to protect
-Yawn
-Recover

3vs3 Battle Spot

Turn1:

Opponent send out a electric pokemon that I cant remember...(getting old here ><)
Send out Quagsire.

Opponent Switch out to Charizard - Probably CharizardY who hope to take me down with Solarbeam
Quagsire use Yawn.

Turn2:
Opponent withdrew Charizard and send out Dragonite
Quagsire use Infestation.
Dragonite got damaged by infestation(counter: 1)

Turn3:
Dragonite use Dragon Claw and took out almost half.
Quagsire use Yawn
Dragonite got damaged by infestation(counter: 2)

Turn4:
I did a quick calculation and decide I can take one more hit

Dragonite use Dragon Claw and Quagsire is down to red.
Quagsire use Recover and back to half HP
Dragonite fall asleep and damaged by infestation(counter: 3)

Turn5:
Dragonite is fast asleep
Quagsire use Recover and back to full HP
Dragonite got damaged by infestation(counter: 4)

Turn6:
Dragonite is fast asleep
Quagsire use scald and hit for small amount
Dragonite is free from infestation

After this, he decided withdraw Dragonite with HP around 40%~50% and my Quagsire is at full HP.

Cant exactly call this a success since I fail to get a kill but looking at the result, cant call this a failure either.

With that set, I imagine protect would have allowed you to be much more effective.

Infestation on the switch, protect, yawn, protect. You take one hit this way, and are free to use your final move to deal damage, so you could drop either scald or recover for protect, although the former is probably best just so you can survive more later.

I've been running an Arcanine set:
Impish w/ leftovers
Fire spin
Morning Sun
Will O Wisp
Close Combat (although E-Speed, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge would all be fine here, I think, despite the recoil or NON-stab)

Intimidate forces a LOT of switches just on its own, so I usually hit the switch in with a fire spin. Arcanine can usually survive one hit with his max HP, max DEF EVs, allowing me to fire off a morning sun for recovery. Like the above set, I could drop close combat for protect, although that will leave it walled by Heatran come December. Have to say though, any gimmicky set like this needs a way to stall out the turns, so protect or substitute or both might be needed.

The problem is really on the low damage despite of the buff... Staling 4 turns only to have it take out 50% HP is pretty boring really. Maybe I should equip Binding Band, don't know if it will make any significant difference though

I've been running an Arcanine set:
Impish w/ leftovers
Fire spin
Morning Sun
Will O Wisp
Close Combat (although E-Speed, Flare Blitz, Wild Charge would all be fine here, I think, despite the recoil or NON-stab)
Now...that is original, never thought about using Arcanine that way but I am seeing a problem here: Enemy setting up during protect and proceed to OHKO next turn. In fact, with this consideration in mind I decide to choose Quagsire for its unaware.

Geta92

formerly -GetaX-
Super recovery, improved knock off, taunt, toxic, status immunity...
Looks suited to me.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Trait: Poison Heal
EVs at Lv.100: 244 HP / 248 Def / 16 Spd
EVs at Lv.50: 204 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 28 SDef / 20 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Sand Tomb
- Taunt/Knock Off
- Toxic/Taunt
- Roost

Last edited:
The problem is really on the low damage despite of the buff... Staling 4 turns only to have it take out 50% HP is pretty boring really. Maybe I should equip Binding Band, don't know if it will make any significant difference though

Now...that is original, never thought about using Arcanine that way but I am seeing a problem here: Enemy setting up during protect and proceed to OHKO next turn. In fact, with this consideration in mind I decide to choose Quagsire for its unaware.
Will-o-wisp does help that a bit against physical attackers, but I admit it could pose a problem.

What about a Blastoise with Whirlpool, Dive/dig, protect, and scald? Dive and Protect gives you two turns of not being hit, scald gives you the same burn possibility (although 30% instead of 85). You'd lose out on intimidate and a healing move, but you could either have Mega Blastoise try to pull this off or a leftovers plus rain dish Blastoise for extra recovery.
I just realized I suggested a Blastoise with 3 water moves on a competitive website. I'm done now, lol.

Why not Scolipede?

It's got speed, ways of boosting defense, subs, and Baton Pass.
Not exactly a pro but the way I understand it is when you do a sub and baton pass, you are hoping to be able to keep the sub so you can pass it to the next pokemon. If so, then it doesnt make sense to trap your opponent because that basically give him no choice but to attack your sub and therefore breaking it every single time, which shouldn't be too hard since Scolipede Hp and defence isnt very impressive. On top of that, Scolipede does not have a reliable way to shutdown or recover itself during that 4-5 turns of infestation. Btw...infestation is not baton passable...I think I read that somewhere.

trapping move > protect > yawn is a combo that a fair few pokemon are capable of now. Of course some do it better than others. Notable mentions are Vaporeon, Swampert, Gastrodon, Hippowdon, Swalot, Quagsire, Accelgor and Stunfisk,

8-BIT Luster

Completely Unviable
Alright, first of all, the Pokemon list for Whirlpool is ridiculous.
Rampardos, Tauros, Snorlax, Weavile...

But you could run a Taunt/Magma Storm Heatran with the Binding Band

-Taunt
-Magma Storm
-Torment
-Will-O-Wisp/Toxic/(other filler)

This set destroys walls like Blissey. They switch in, get hit with the Magma Storm, get taunted so they can't recover,get tormented so they can't their most likely only attacking move twice in a row and have to struggle to death, and you watch as they burn.

Or, you could run a Binding Band Sand Tomb Garchomp

-Sand Tomb
-Outrage
-Stone Edge
-Earthquake

These are really really basic sets that I'm just throwing out.
If anyone likes, they can elaborate.

Or,

Kyogre with Whirlpool and Binding Band or Grip Claw.

BINDING BAND-
-Whirlpool
-Thunder
-Ice Beam
-(Filler)

Grip Claw-
-Whirlpool
-Aqua Ring
-Toxic
-Protect

I will say that whirlpool Kyogre is more than a little ridiculous.

I saw a Goodra with Hydration Rest, Infestation, Toxic, and Rain Dance. This is a possibility, although there's the laughing Heatran that traps it too.

What's also good to keep in mind is that if this is a powerful counter to one thing, then switching in on it will see it switching right out as you trap their counter and sweeper. We can't have a ridged set that has use against exactly one or two things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)