Here's the set that I've been running and have had a lot of fun with
Lucario @ lucarionite
timid/modest
252Speed, 252 Sp.Atk, 4 HP
  • Nasty Plot
  • Vacuum Wave
  • Flash Cannon
  • Dark pulse/shadow ball
Though flash cannon doesn't have the raw power that close combat does it does have the nifty side effect of not lowering your defenses. (and it kills them fairies). You could go for Shadow ball to get the extra coverage against fighting types that switch in. Dark pulse has a flinch which is slightly useful. But shadow ball has more coverage, again. I haven't done any damage calcs yet though. one thing is, this set loses to mega gengar if you don't run bullet punch or use darkpulse/shadow ball on the switch.

With Mega Kangs spamming Fakeout everywhere these days, I'm just wondering if anyone else has started to use Steadfast on Lucario over Justified?

Come in on a free +2 Speedboost, threaten with CC, and SD up and just sweep with +2A +2S

Last edited:

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
With Mega Kangs spamming Fakeout everywhere these days, I'm just wondering if anyone else has started to use Steadfast on Lucario over Justified?

Come in on a free +2 Speedboost, threaten with CC, and SD up and just sweep with +2A +2S
Yeah, it doesn't work like that. Lucario needs to already be in battle in an attempt to attack in order to be flinched, and no Mega-Kanga wants to be face-to-face with Lucario willingly. Justified is better since it can be triggered on the switch.

Inner Focus is better in that regard. I often lead with Lucario when I see M-Kanga on the team preview, and it is also a good lead vs most SR setters. Being able to CC Mega Kanga turn 1 is just gravy, especially when they try to fakeout you.

I Dislike Justified now since Luc doesn't 4x resist dark, and strong dark moves will still hit him very hard due to his extremely frail defences. IIRC Banded Ttar crunch does like 50-60% now. Justified is also a dead giveaway that you are the SD set rather than the NP set.

Punchshroom

Inner Focus is better in that regard. I often lead with Lucario when I see M-Kanga on the team preview, and it is also a good lead vs most SR setters. Being able to CC Mega Kanga turn 1 is just gravy, especially when they try to fakeout you.

I Dislike Justified now since Luc doesn't 4x resist dark, and strong dark moves will still hit him very hard due to his extremely frail defences. IIRC Banded Ttar crunch does like 50-60% now. Justified is also a dead giveaway that you are the SD set rather than the NP set.
Most Mega-Kangas don't bother with Fake Out on Luke, not just because of the threat of said flinches backfiring, but if Kanga has already Mega-Evolved but Luke hasn't, they would take the rare opportunity of outspeeding Luke and use Earthquake instead of wasting the moment to Fake Out.

Besides, isn't potentially fooling the opponent into believing you're using SD Luke instead of NP Luke much more rewarding for you and devastating for them?

Most Mega-Kangas don't bother with Fake Out on Luke, not just because of the threat of said flinches backfiring, but if Kanga has already Mega-Evolved but Luke hasn't, they would take the rare opportunity of outspeeding Luke and use Earthquake instead of wasting the moment to Fake Out.

Besides, isn't potentially fooling the opponent into believing you're using SD Luke instead of NP Luke much more rewarding for you and devastating for them?
Adamant Kanga never outspeeds Jolly Lucario. And you shouldn't ever switch in Lucario on a dark attack these days, ever. Its frail as hell, and any strong dark attack user choice locked will 2hko you.

Punchshroom

Adamant Kanga never outspeeds Jolly Lucario. And you shouldn't ever switch in Lucario on a dark attack these days, ever. Its frail as hell, and any strong dark attack user choice locked will 2hko you.
No, I was referring to Jolly Mega-Kanga outspeeding unevolved Adamant Luke. In any case, yes the loss of quad Dark resistance has hampered its ease in setting up, but I'd rather go for an opportune moment to net a boost from non-Choiced Dark attacks (like MegaStoise's Dark Pulse or non-CBTar's Crunch) and the ability to bluff a physical set, than an even more situational immunity to flinches (only from Fake Out, other flinching moves can be evaded with priority). Then again, to each his own.

I'm not sure if this has been mentioned yet, but why isn't a mixed set viable? Yeah, Lucario lacks the versatility on the Special side of the spectrum to run a purely Special set, but he has enough to be effective as a mixed sweeper. This is even more so with the Mega Evolution. This is my idea:

Lucario
Item: Lucarionite
Ability: (whichever, doesn't really matter)/Adaptability
Nature: Hasty
EVs: 252 Speed, 152 Attack, 100 Special Attack
-Extremespeed/Bullet Punch
-Close Combat/Earthquake
-Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse/Flash Cannon/Earthquake
-Aura Sphere/ Dark Pulse/Flash Cannon/Earthquake

Most of this is understandable except for Flash Cannon. In my eyes, now that Lucario has Adaptability in his Mega Form, not to mention to addition of the Fairy Type, having a Steel move in his arsenal becomes a good idea. Flash Cannon will be incredibly powerful with his high SPecial Attack AND Adaptability, and it's coverage aside from Fairy can reach a lot of Pokémon that Lucario would have trouble hitting otherwise without more coverage options (*cough* Ghost types *cough* Gengar *cough*)

Last edited:
Personally i just a physical set with cc, bp, sd, and eq. With this set I dont have to fear aegislash with their king shields. It also counters grounded fire types like blaziken or heatran lacking air balloon.

Personally i just a physical set with cc, bp, sd, and eq. With this set I dont have to fear aegislash with their king shields. It also counters grounded fire types like blaziken or heatran lacking air balloon.
Sounds like you're free food for Talonflame though.

Sounds like you're free food for Talonflame though.
A Pokémon doesn't have to be able to counter EVERYTHING. I feel like that's what a lot of people seem to be losing sight of, trying to be super-versatile and ultimately sacrificing effectiveness. You have a Shift Out Pokémon option for a reason, ad it's not so you can try to be a badass by leaving your Pokémon in and ultimately end up getting clobbered.

You know what I do with Lucario when I see a Talonflame? I switch out to Tyranitar.

Game, set, match. And I did that WITHOUT tearing my hair out trying to think of a way Lucario can counter a fire bird with priority Flying moves.

I have to agree with this sentiment.
A Pokémon doesn't have to be able to counter EVERYTHING. I feel like that's what a lot of people seem to be losing sight of, trying to be super-versatile and ultimately sacrificing effectiveness. You have a Shift Out Pokémon option for a reason, ad it's not so you can try to be a badass by leaving your Pokémon in and ultimately end up getting clobbered.

You know what I do with Lucario when I see a Talonflame? I switch out to Tyranitar.

Game, set, match. And I did that WITHOUT tearing my hair out trying to think of a way Lucario can counter a fire bird with priority Flying moves.
I have to agree with this sentiment. I use Lucario as my main sweeper, so I make sure to clear the way of any annoying things that might get in the way of my Lucario's sweep. Also, ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority, while Brave Bird has only +1, so it would go first. Considering that you have a Swords Dance boost, I'm pretty sure that you can OHKO with ExtremeSpeed Talonflame at 50%. (50% because I'm thinking of Stealth Rocks.) As RayStrikeAbius stated as well, most Lucario's would be run with a Tyranitar, since they tend to benefit most from the Dinosaur. And, the Dinosaur is a good counter to Talonflame (unless they have the U-Turn.) I like how people are looking for ways for Lucario to be able to just set up and kill pokemon even if they're at 100%, but realistically, that won't happen. However, creative sets are good as well because they create a good environment in which a lot of ideas are exchanged and created. :)

I have to agree with this sentiment. I use Lucario as my main sweeper, so I make sure to clear the way of any annoying things that might get in the way of my Lucario's sweep. Also, ExtremeSpeed has +2 priority, while Brave Bird has only +1, so it would go first. Considering that you have a Swords Dance boost, I'm pretty sure that you can OHKO with ExtremeSpeed Talonflame at 50%. (50% because I'm thinking of Stealth Rocks.) As RayStrikeAbius stated as well, most Lucario's would be run with a Tyranitar, since they tend to benefit most from the Dinosaur. And, the Dinosaur is a good counter to Talonflame (unless they have the U-Turn.) I like how people are looking for ways for Lucario to be able to just set up and kill pokemon even if they're at 100%, but realistically, that won't happen. However, creative sets are good as well because they create a good environment in which a lot of ideas are exchanged and created. :)
tyranitar would still be good even if talonflame has u-turn since it can set up stealth rock. Then the next talon flame comes out you'll be able to kill it with lucarios extremespeed

I would agree with you as you're using Extreme Speed.

The post I quoted used both Bullet Punch AND Earthquake.

So I been battling a bit. Have a decent team manage to get on the ladder. But M lucario is the one poke who always owns me. Like 4/7 losses are from him. I'm wanted to see how people have been trying to check this guy. He is imo the num 1 threat atm.

I have a Modest Lucario that I've used throughout the game and has max EV's in spatk and spd. I have a sentimental attachment to this as it's helped in a lot of battles can some one help make a good online moveset and team to support it? right now it knows aura sphere, dark pulse, flash cannon and dragon pulse and holds the lucarionite, any help would be greatly appreciated
Since this one can't get Agility or Nasty Plot unless you breed it, how about replacing Dragon Pulse with Calm Mind? This is its only way of raising its Sp. Attack and it cannot raise its speed in any way without Agility. Also, I'd suggest replacing Dark Pulse with Shadow Ball. Ghost is only resisted by Dark and cannot hit Normal types, both of which are hit super effectively by Fighting. I hope this helps if you haven't been helped already.

Ability: (whichever, doesn't really matter)/Adaptability
It's matter use Justified, you can jump in to (rare) dark move and get on free boost. He already resist it so no problem.

Even crunch is not option any more I have question on Crunch vs Shadow Claw. Does Shadow Claw miss any OK? More cri chance may help for KO any thing that not usually does.

I think it would be nice to see a mixed mega set.

Lucario@ Lucarionite
Ability: Steadfast/Inner Focus/Justified > Adaptability
Nature: Hasty + Speed - Defense
EV: 252 Attack/6 Sp. ATK/252 Speed
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Dark Pulse/Shadow Ball
- Substitute/Detect/Stone Edge/Rock Slide/Earthquake

I think this set would be quite nice to use, would still focus on the psychical side of things whilst still being able to hit of a powerful special move against some Pokémon. Not sure what to put in as the third move, for the fourth slot though Substitute is always handy... Detect/Rock Slide are in case you want to put it on a doubles team. Stone Edge/Earthquake fill it nicely as well.

I haven't ever done anything like this before, so it could be crap but would be nice to see mega Lucario running a mixed set. :)

Hey guys...

First forum post here but an interesting idea on Lucario that I've been working out is .. very strange I guess, can I get some brilliant feed back on this please?

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Anything - Could take justified for that +1 Atk set up. (Adaptability when MegaEvolved)
Nature: Lonely/Naught could run Mild/Rash too
EV: 252 Attack/252 Sp.Attack/6 Hp

- Bullet Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Vacuum Wave
- Shadow ball

So.. You have a priority user here.. one with nearly equal stats in both attack and spA when mega evolved.. with great coverage ability to switch in.. why not use him as a finisher? I'm not good at competitive battling I guess, I haven't done any online ones yet. Literally been playing battle house only but I run this guy with Moxie Salamance and CB Scizor, it's gotten me to 5x, I got ripped apart by Walrein and 3 unmissing Sheer Colds (of course AI doesn't miss on me >.<) I understand that in competitive battling there's more mind games that are played out but this is really quite an interesting set up here haha. I have it on lonely right now just cause I'd rather have more damage coming out from BP/Extreme speed :D

Let me know what you think hee hee =D

Is Vacuum Wave really worth it even on Nasty Plot sets? Most things that outspeed you resist fighting. Most the priority users in OU right now also resist or are immune to Vacuum Wave.

I have been using a pretty solid core thing of sd luke, rp lando with encore support from wobb and it has been extremely easy to break holes by trapping key mons with wobb and setting up.

of course wobb rapes all scarfers except gene using bug buzz which makes sweeps t that easier.

Wobb transforms all walls into setup potential fodder. Encore+safeguard turns shit like willowisp rotom, any toxic user, and klefki to setup bait. The best is encore a swagger, safeguard, switch to luke. Luke gets a free sd for nothing and a free turn for another boost.

Wobb is fantastic in this meta.

So been thinking of trying out Mega Skywalker here. So if running Jolly/Timid, what does it outspeed? Same with Modest/Adamant. Is there some sort of specific threat it should be wary of being outsped by?
If it's Jolly/Timid (355 max Speed), it obviously outruns everything with less than 110 base Speed, and it also ties with anything that is +1 (or Scarfed, but you don't see many Pokemon that slow with a Scarf) and positive-natured at 60 base Speed. If it's Adamant/Modest (323 max Speed), it outruns everything up to 97 base Speed that has a speed-boosting nature (sorry Haxorus).

Name: Mega Physical Sweeper

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch / Crunch / ExtremeSpeed
- Swords Dance

Lucario's newly acquired ability gets its time to shine by turning Close Combat into a 240 BP move backed by a huge 145 base Attack stat. At +2 the number of Pokemon that are able to within the brute force of this attack are few. Adaptability gives you the option of dropping ExtremeSpeed for Bullet Punch, who now is just as strong as ExtremeSpeed. However, without ExtremeSpeed Lucario Scarfed Keldeo can comfortably take a +2 Bullet Punch and OHKO with Secret Sword. The option of Ice Punch or Crunch depends on either Ghost types pose an issue to Lucario's sweep or Landorus-T and Gliscor are the problematic ones. Using an Adamant nature will maximize its damage output at the cost of being out sped by Infernape and Keldeo who are guaranteed to OHKO you.

Last Comments:

Lucario has all the tools to be the most threatening Pokemon in the game with a new ability and more powerful stats to abuse its large movepool. You are limited to a Physical set with the number of good special moves it gets you could run a solid Nasty Plot sweeping set, Agility set, or mixed wallbreaker. The major downside of Lucario is it possess one of the worst cases of four moveslot syndrome. It just can't beat enough with just four moves there will be always be something that will pose to be an issue and because of this is why it has been and always will be one of the most difficult Pokemon to fully counter.[/quote]

Though you say this: Mega Lucario has four moveslot syndrome, and I suppose he does,, close combat kills steel, rock, normal, ice, dark, bullet punch kills ice and rock, along with faerie, ice punch kills dragons and grass types, and swords dance allows it to murder types that even resist it. The fact remains, with just this move set Lucario can obliterate 8 Pokemon types. Personally, I'd swap Bullet-Punch with Shadow Claw and thus releasing the need of crunch so you can freely have an extreme-speed or ice punch.Point is, as of now without Keldeo/Infernape/Landorus, Lucario is gonna run rampant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)