Beauty and the Beast (Bulky Volt Turn)

A tale as old as time... A song as old as rhyme...

Beauty and the Beast

Formed in the pre-ladder meta I've been having a lot of good fun and consistent performance with this team. Constructed around the anti-hazard core of Defog Scizor and Rapid Spin Donphan this bulky Volt Turning team aims to wear down opponents with bulky pivots before tearing through with priority and Chandelure's devastating Shadow Ball.

Maurice (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost
Despite the loss of a few resistances, steel typing is as valuable as ever, being able to not only switch into but demolish the new fairy types. For this new generation Scizor seemed like an obvious choice, not only retaining great utility in Bullet Punch and U-Turn but also gaining the ability to clear away the hazards he detests so much. Maurice plays many roles on this team, as a pivot, revenge killer, hazard clearer, and even sweeper a nice balanced stats distribution of max HP/Attack with Scizorite was chosen to give him a solid boost in all these areas. Overall Scizor is a solid Pokemon that always finds a use, a trait incredibly important in a tier with such a plethora of diverse threats.​

Cogsworth (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
Another Gen 2 contender, Donphan assists his old buddy Scizor in maintaining my hazard advantage. While Defog is good, Rapid Spin is still a solid option, able to clear out enemy hazards without removing your own. Donphan was chosen over competitors like Excadrill or Gliscor for his reliability in handling Aegislash, neither falling to Sacred Sword or HP Ice (in case of special/mixed). Ice Shard is also very important, able to nail key targets like Garchomp and Dragonite, who's popularity has remained even through the dawn of Fairies. Donphan plays a quiet vital role as reliable supporter on this team with great utility and tanking.

Mrs. Potts (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split
An obvious partner to Scizor and an overall excellent choice in this meta, Mrs. Potts is a reliable pivot that checks prominent threats such as Talonflame, Heatran, Togekiss, and all the ground types here to handle Aegislash. Like Maurice, Mrs. Potts always finds something important to do and is made even better by the ease at which I can clear away hazards. Fairly standard spread, not much to say here though I'm considering switching to a bulkier, maybe physically defensive spread to better handle Talonflame, Azumarill, Garchomp, and Keldeo.

Lumière (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick​

Chandelure is a huge winner this generation, as with the new-found neutrality to steel Ghost is looking to replace Dragon is the premiere offensive typing this generation. Lumière is able to spam Shadow Ball straight through previous roadblocks such as Heatran, 2HKOing offensive variants while walling defensive variants that often carry only Lava Plume. Aside from steel types, another issue that used to hold back our spooky chandelier was the prevalence of Stealth Rocks which really hindered its hit and run playstyle. But this gen thanks to Defog not only is it easier to clear away rocks but opponents are a lot less likely to rely on them and focus on setting them up. Less hazards also means that Chandelure can take advantage of its excellent defensive typing, checking a plethora of threats such as Blaziken (lol nice stabs), Scizor, Genesect, Volarona, and Lucario. Shadow Ball and Fire Blast were chosen for big strong STAB damage and decent coverage, with Energy Ball chosen as coverage on Pokemon like Rotom W and Gastrodon. Trick was chosen to make sure that at the very least I can cripple a wall, though I haven't gotten too much use out of it. Chandelure has a lot of other viable options such as WoW and Hp Fighting for TTar as well as Toxic and Trick Room for some niche utility. Chandelure is a really big damage dealer on this team, finding ample opportunity to switch in and fire off Shadow Balls freely in a ladder where few people bother to bring a ghost resist.

Belle (Meloetta) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn
As I said with Lumière, Ghost is looking to be a major threat this generation and while Chandelure isn't seeing too much usage yet there is no shortage of Gengar on the ladder. With powerful coverage in Focus Blast taking care of otherwise viable checks such as Ttar I scoured the depths of the lower tiers looking for something that could take hits. At first I used Mandibuzz for its overall solid bulk and utility options I found that it still lost to Gengar variants with Tbolt, and that giving a free switch in to Rotom W is not a useful trait to have. Then I found her. While I once regarded Meloetta is a threatening but overall subpar attacker in UU Assault Vest and reduced threat of hazards/weather AV Meloetta represents a fierce threat as a bulky offensive pivot. Even if Meloetta sits there and does nothing, Sub Disable Gengar only has a chance to 5HKO and runs a serious risk of missing Focus Blasts and running out of PP before it can kill. It can even U-turn out on those silly Mega Perish Song sets. Offensively Belle is a powerhouse, able to OHKO offensive Heatran and 2HKOing Blissey after rocks. Even on Pokemon that don't normal get 2HKOd, Meloetta can often break through with Serence Grace Shadow Ball/Focus Blast, affording great coverage and a high chance to drop Spdef. Belle is also an additional check to Aegislash, tanking +2 Sacred Sword, being immune to Shadow Sneak, and laughing at special sets. She is fairly weak on the physical side though and without recovery is very susceptible to all kinds of residual damage but if played precisely she can be counted on as a reliable pivot and damage dealer.

Beast (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed​

In a team that reliably clears away hazards, who better to capitalize than Multiscale Dragonite? With all new kinds of speed control in new priority users, Sticky Web, and Speed Boost, having big strong priority is vital and while I already have two other priority users Beast definitely leads the pack with his Banded Extreme Speed. With possibly the largest and scariest threat list of any OU tier before, Beast is there as a fail safe against whatever the ladder may bring. First of all his great typing allows him to take hits from threats such as Keldeo, Volcarona, and Blaziken and failing that Multiscale is there to make sure he lives anything but a strong ice move. Even if Multiscale is broken there is Extreme Speed allowing him to surpass any other kinds of priority and dish out a strong hit, killing or weakening threats to the point where my other priority user's can finish the job.

Last edited:
pls comment i workd hard to make nice rmt for u

This team still has a lot of problems, in particularly it lacks a solid answer to opposing Rotom W.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Really nice team you have there. Donphan seems to be the weak link there, your team isnt that reliant on hazards and Scizor is a very good Defoger. Rotom-w seems to be a problem for a lot of this Meta tbh. I'd suggest something like Tangrowth but I'm guessing rocks are pretty desired on your team hey?

If not and if you wanted a more offensive stop to Rotom, Heliolisk is actually a pretty nice fit on your team - having Volt Switch, resisting electric and being immune to water. Tbh though that might open you up to Dragons a little....Its so tough suggesting stuff without messing up the delicate balance of your team.

If your really struggling with rotom-w gastrodon with storm drain is a hard counter. They can't touch you and it's fairly underrated in general. You could also swap donphan for a mold breaker excadrill and still have defogger/spinner

I really love this team, so many non standard threats and they all hold their own in the meta. Mind if i take it for a spin?

Id probably end up replacing donphan with something like celebi, as it has u-turn, stealth rock and smacks rotom-w around. Ill get back to you after a playtest :)

Mold breaker excadrill can also SR and spin, and rotom-w can never switch in on it, although it also dislikes the risk of coming in on hydro pump or will o wisp

Hey thanks for the replies!

Yeah in my writeups I kinda hyped everything but Donphan is kinda weak sometimes and I find it hard to get rocks up early. I didn't really consider how helpful Excadrill would be against Wash, that also help against double dragons teams which, while not exactly common, do put serious pressure on me. Celebi is another great option I didn't even think about. It would also be against Gastrodon who I'd say is the #2 annoyance to this team. I'll give these changes a spin and report back.

Some other things I'm considering are Dragon Claw over Outrage, Overheat over Fire Blast, and HP Fighting over Trick. I almost never use Outrage because I typically need to save Dnite as an emergency button for lategame. Actually now that I think about it I probably save Dnite too much and often end up not making any use of him at all but Dragon Claw would allow me to be more free with some strong hit and run. Overheat over Fire Blast because typically Shadow Ball has unresisted coverage on entire teams (I'll go a dozen matches without seeing a ghost resist) and generally I only use Fire Blast when I need a little bit more neutral damage and the inaccuracy of Fire Blast really screws me over a lot. Trick is a real liability with all these set up Mega running around and HP Fighting would really help with Ttar. What do you guys think?

Cherub Agent: I'd be honoured, here's the importable:
Code:
Beast (Dragonite) (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
- ExtremeSpeed

Maurice (Scizor) (M) @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Defog
- Roost

Mrs. Potts (Rotom-Wash) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Belle (Meloetta) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Shadow Ball
- U-turn

Lumière (Chandelure) (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 30 Spd
- Fire Blast
- Shadow Ball
- Energy Ball
- Trick

Cogsworth (Donphan) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)