Pokémon Pyroar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm quite curious as to the gender of Pyroar and breeding it with a ditto. If I breed a Female Pyroar with a Ditto, will all of the offspring be female? This is what I've seen recently.
Males are just really rare. Which makes breeding for a good one even more annoying >.>

At least Pyroar is very good in the Battle Maison in Double and Triple battles... nice speed and special attack, and Hyper Voice hitting everyone (& not teammates)...

But tbh I still think its Normal type is a good thing. Besides having STAB on Hyper Voice, he is a really nice little "counter" to some ghosts. Like against Gourgeist, Trevenant and Aegislash. Against Aegislash he has to watch out to not switch into Sacred Sword though...

I checked to see if I could breed Nature Power from Sawsbuck to it for Tri-Attack but no dice. Hyper Voice is stronger anyway, but I like having options.

A few things about Pyroar:

- It resists/is immune to both of Ageislash's STAB's, making it a pretty good switch in; especially to Swords Dance varients; it outspeeds too; and Will-O cripples through King's.
- Noble Roar cripples opposing switch-ins; if you predict it; and Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers even moreso
- It's offense is hardly bad

With these in mind; I'm having some success running this:

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
252 Sp.Atk; 252 Spd; 4 Def
Ability: Unnerve [Genders are defaulted to random on Showdown so Rivalry is unreliable at best; Moxie is useless on this set]

- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Noble Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

The basic idea is to switch in on something which can't take on Pyroar to force a switch; and with Scizor/Ageislash everywhere; that's not difficult. If you predict a physical mon or want residual damage use Will-O; otherwise you can just use Noble Roar; which makes it a lot easier to bring in a set-up attacker. [Personally I am using Kangaskhan atm; but that can change easily]

Pyroar's good Sp.Atk and Speed also make it a decent revenge killer. Main issue is it's vulnerable to every hazard and weak to rocks; so cannot switch in too often.

A few things about Pyroar:

- It resists/is immune to both of Ageislash's STAB's, making it a pretty good switch in; especially to Swords Dance varients; it outspeeds too; and Will-O cripples through King's.
- Noble Roar cripples opposing switch-ins; if you predict it; and Will-O-Wisp cripples physical attackers even moreso
- It's offense is hardly bad

With these in mind; I'm having some success running this:

Pyroar @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
252 Sp.Atk; 252 Spd; 4 Def
Ability: Unnerve [Genders are defaulted to random on Showdown so Rivalry is unreliable at best; Moxie is useless on this set]

- Flamethrower
- Hyper Voice
- Noble Roar
- Will-O-Wisp

The basic idea is to switch in on something which can't take on Pyroar to force a switch; and with Scizor/Ageislash everywhere; that's not difficult. If you predict a physical mon or want residual damage use Will-O; otherwise you can just use Noble Roar; which makes it a lot easier to bring in a set-up attacker. [Personally I am using Kangaskhan atm; but that can change easily]

Pyroar's good Sp.Atk and Speed also make it a decent revenge killer. Main issue is it's vulnerable to every hazard and weak to rocks; so cannot switch in too often.
That's basically my set with him but I use Timid for more speed... beating things up to base 105 in speed is more important to me than a little extra power...

Does this thing learn swords dance or howl or even workup ?? if now there is no way this thing will be usefull with moxie

adamant and workup it is
STOP RIGHT THERE.

I know it seems tempting to try a physical set with Pyroar, considering his physically leaning movepool and Moxie, but base 68 Attack is base 68 Attack. No amount of boosts is ever going to make it salvageable, and your doing Pyroar a grave disservice by doing so. Pyroar either goes special or not at all; that's all there is to it.

Also, only use Speed boosting natures on Pyroar. Base 106 Speed isn't the greatest, but it outspeeds the base 105 tier, which is far to important a benchmark to ever pass up.

Really, this pokemon screams for a good 3rd coverage move like earth power or focus blast (a lot of pokemon get it anyway). I wonder if it could learn dragon pulse (it's an attack done with the mouth, a bit loke hyper voice.).

I would run an Adamant set if it had swords dance, EQ, U-turn, because that would be enough to go physical. Wait nvm, it doesn't have the bulk to set up with it.

Also, this guy learns yawn. Not sure why he does, but it seems a better option than Noble roar to me. That would give you the option to phaze with either will-o-wisp for physical attackers, Toxic against stall, and Yawn as a general deterrent. Does anyone know if yawn infiltrates substitutes?

I've been thinking, can't he find a niche as a suicide lead? I was thinking of this:

Pyroar@Focus sash
Timid Nature
252 Sp.Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
Ability: Unnerve (does that even matter at this point?
-Overheat
-Hypervoice
-Endeavor
-Yawn/Dark Pulse/HP fight/HP poison

Overheat is to just blast your opponent away. Use apropriate judgement for the right timing. Hyper Voice is the move you will mainly use, since it coverage isn't terrible. Endeavor is for that moment you feel someone will oneshlt you, otherwise it won't end well. It's currently one of the fastest pokemon, so endeavor won't be used too late. Lastly yawn is to cause some switchins, whilst dark pulse takes care of ghosts, notably Aegislash and M-Banette. I mentioned Hidden Power, because HP fight would give it some coverage whilst hp poison would deal with fairy types, notable Carbink (then again, with those defenses you might just go with hypervoice.). Overheat roasts both Klefki and Cotonee. I forgot to mention that taunt and roar are also good alternatives.

STOP RIGHT THERE.

I know it seems tempting to try a physical set with Pyroar, considering his physically leaning movepool and Moxie, but base 68 Attack is base 68 Attack. No amount of boosts is ever going to make it salvageable, and your doing Pyroar a grave disservice by doing so.
With one Work Up, Pyroar's Hyper Voice and Flamethrower are nicely boosted. After a Moxie boost on top of that, its physical attack is comparable to Azumarill's.

All it takes is one turn of set-up and one resultant KO to make a physical coverage like Wild Charge not only un-gimmicky, but viable, especially given Work Up is the only move that boosts its dominant Special Attack anyway.

If you want pure physical Moxie, get another pokemon. If you want a Moxie mixed sweeper in the lower tiers, Pyroar's none too shabby.

With one Work Up, Pyroar's Hyper Voice and Flamethrower are nicely boosted. After a Moxie boost on top of that, its physical attack is comparable to Azumarill's.

All it takes is one turn of set-up and one resultant KO to make a physical coverage like Wild Charge not only un-gimmicky, but viable, especially given Work Up is the only move that boosts its dominant Special Attack anyway.

If you want pure physical Moxie, get another pokemon. If you want a Moxie mixed sweeper in the lower tiers, Pyroar's none too shabby.
Huh, didn't think of how Work up and Moxie could be good with a Mixed Sweeper... not a bad idea.

I myself am going for A SPecial Sweeper with an Item I rarely see used.

Modest(Metronome, Unnerve)
Hyper Voice
Flamethrower
Noble Roar/Work Up
Dark Pulse.

252 in SpA and Speed.

Yeah... I know what you guys are thinking. Metronome sucks, change it now. It has actually be pretty good to me in game and on link battles. I don't lead with Pyroar, so I normally bring her out after the foe doesn't have any pokemon that can resist at least 1 of the moves I would use. So if they don't have a Steel, Rock, or Ghost, I just start Hyper Voicing over and over. If they don't have a Water, Fire, Rock, or Dragon, I Flamethrower. If they Don't have a Dark, Fighting, or Fairy, I use Dark Pulse. After 1 Work up She can hit pretty dang hard, and gets stronger and Stronger as it goes. Though I am switching between Noble Roar and Work up, because I like the crippling effect of Noble roar. Use it when you are at your last legs, to give who ever switches after you faint or when you switch out a more defense in a sense.

yeah i am not tryng a full physical set , i know its base attack is too low for that so abusing workup and moxie to great effect is the way to go :P

That mixed work up set actually works surprisingly well. Quite surprised, as I initailly had written Pyroar off. So far I believe Wild Charge is the better coverage move, since bulldoze is terrible and most people will switch in their rock type pokemon before you can accumulate enough attack boosts to make up for the low base power and his awful attack. Heatran's really the only one it'll do damage to after only one boost or so (albeit a good one to hit for a fire type). The biggest problem I have is that while his physical movepool looks somewhat good at first (I think because his special movepool is so shallow by comparison), there really isn't much there once you start sorting through it. It's wild charge, crunch, bulldoze, and return, and that's about it. I've had some success running crunch, since the pokemon weak to it are generally lacking on the physical defense side more than the special, but Dark Pulse also exists in his movepool and doesn't rely on set up or boost accumulation to hit moderately hard right off the bat.

Last edited:
That mixed work up set actually works surprisingly well. Quite surprised, as I initailly had written Pyroar off. So far I believe Wild Charge is the better coverage move, since bulldoze is terrible and most people will switch in their rock type pokemon before you can accumulate enough attack boosts to make up for the low base power and his awful attack. Heatran's really the only one it'll do damage to after only one boost or so (albeit a good one to hit for a fire type). The biggest problem I have is that while his physical movepool looks somewhat good at first (I think because his special movepool is so shallow by comparison), there really isn't much there once you start sorting through it. It's wild charge, crunch, bulldoze, and return, and that's about it. I've had some success running crunch, since the pokemon weak to it are generally lacking on the physical defense side more than the special, but Dark Pulse also exists in his movepool and doesn't rely on set up or boost accumulation to hit moderately hard right off the bat.
Yeah, let it never be said that Pyroar is going for OU anytime soon. But I do think that Flamethrower/Return/Dark Pulse/Work Up offers pretty great coverage, given Dark's upgrade and Return's BP versus Hyper Voice coming off +2 after Work Up and a Moxie. It should be reiterated that no matter what, +Speed is the best option to outrun 105s like Mismagius and non-scarf Mienshao that run rampant in the lower tiers.

Another option on top of that is a Flame Charge set (I wouldn't recommend it be mixed, given FC's shoddy BP) to make Pyroar blazingly fast (pardon the wordfun) which maintaining the variety of three moves (likely Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Dark Pulse, given HP's nerf). It would make an excellent revenge killer with Unnerve, its only reliable option, as the odd Salac users and Unburdeners reliant on berries, though rare, can't outspeed through those tricks.

Yeah, let it never be said that Pyroar is going for OU anytime soon. But I do think that Flamethrower/Return/Dark Pulse/Work Up offers pretty great coverage, given Dark's upgrade and Return's BP versus Hyper Voice coming off +2 after Work Up and a Moxie. It should be reiterated that no matter what, +Speed is the best option to outrun 105s like Mismagius and non-scarf Mienshao that run rampant in the lower tiers.

Another option on top of that is a Flame Charge set (I wouldn't recommend it be mixed, given FC's shoddy BP) to make Pyroar blazingly fast (pardon the wordfun) which maintaining the variety of three moves (likely Hyper Voice/Fire Blast/Dark Pulse, given HP's nerf). It would make an excellent revenge killer with Unnerve, its only reliable option, as the odd Salac users and Unburdeners reliant on berries, though rare, can't outspeed through those tricks.
Oh, absolutely. I don't even foresee it being a mainstay in UU, simply because there are so many fire types that dominate that tier (as of the end of BW2, of course.) Especially since the similar Arcanine outclasses it so completely physically, what with extremespeed, recovery, and CC, and 95 speed being significantly better in the lower tiers than in OU. Darmanitan, too.

I think the only thing that would really set it apart in middle tiers would be its odd 106 speed and ability to go mixed late game. The 106 speed I can see being useful to bust through Mismagius, Mienshao, and Zoroark, as well as outspeeding the stallions (though only if they run neutral nature, which they nearly never do), but I really only foresee the ability to go mixed as being useful in getting past Snorlax, which nearly none of the specially inclined fire types can do (or really any of the specially inclined pokemon), and possibly Milotic as well. And that's assuming it nets the boosts it needs in the first place.

Again, this is also assuming that the non-OU tiers don't lose too many pokemon to higher tiers, etc.

My problem with Pyroar is that even in the in-game it can't take a hit. I know it's not the best indicator of things, but it really couldn't take a hit even after I fully trained it. It does hit hard though, and I've found it can be useful under sun in conjunction with Charizard-Y. Fire Blast, Solarbeam, Hyper Voice is pretty solid under sun. If not under sun, I like Dark Pulse because Pyroar's high speed means flinches are a distinct possibility. Substitute mitigates the poor defense somewhat.

What about this

Pyroar @ Focus Sash
Hasty or Naive
?? Atk / ?? SpA / 252 Spe
Ability: Moxie
-Work Up
-Overheat
-Return
-Crunch / Wild Charge / Other

I tried to improve on vancoor's post on page 1. The trick is to use Work Up to boost your Atk and SpA by one stage, use your SpA boost to get a kill with Overheat, and sit on top of your over doubled Atk stat and dish out damage with Return and a coverage move! I haven't done any calculations or decided on Atk/SpA EVs, but I'm nearly 100% sure nearly any bulky Water-type or anything that resists Fire stops this in it's tracks. Perhaps with Infestation support you can trap a Steel or Grass-type to get your second boost?

I know it's a longshot and we probably shouldn't bother with it's Atk, but let me know what you think

I'm new to the whole competitive Pokemon scene, but it seems like Pyroar would be able to screw with Harvest Sitrus Berry Trevenant quite a bit with Unnerve, while also being able to resist both its STABs and hit back with a STAB Fire move of its own.

I'm new to the whole competitive Pokemon scene, but it seems like Pyroar would be able to screw with Harvest Sitrus Berry Trevenant quite a bit with Unnerve, while also being able to resist both its STABs and hit back with a STAB Fire move of its own.
I'd also like to point out that it walls Dusclops very well. WoW and Night Shade/Hex can't hit Pyroar at all.

I never thought about that, but yes, it would appear that Unnerve Pyroar is a fullstop to Harvest Trevenant (unless it switches in on Earthquake, but no one runs Earthquake on Trevenant anyway). Whether or not this justifies using Pyroar is a bit uncertain (probably not though), but if you find yourself desperately Trevenant weak or just want to screw with the ugly bastard, then I guess Pyroar is worth a shot. This was a good first post, if I do say so myself.

Couldn't you just use Retaliate on a moxie set? Your pokemon gets killed, you send in pyroar against an already weakened pokemon. Then, you use retaliate. Your stab retaliate that also gets boosted because you used it after your pokemon got killed, boosts it even further. You get a Moxie boost, and you might be able to boost once with work up and start racking up kills.

I never thought about that, but yes, it would appear that Unnerve Pyroar is a fullstop to Harvest Trevenant (unless it switches in on Earthquake, but no one runs Earthquake on Trevenant anyway). Whether or not this justifies using Pyroar is a bit uncertain (probably not though), but if you find yourself desperately Trevenant weak or just want to screw with the ugly bastard, then I guess Pyroar is worth a shot. This was a good first post, if I do say so myself.
Thank you. The only downside is that Trevenant is immune to Hyper Voice, so Pyroar won't be able to hit through its Subs.

Couldn't you just use Retaliate on a moxie set? Your pokemon gets killed, you send in pyroar against an already weakened pokemon. Then, you use retaliate. Your stab retaliate that also gets boosted because you used it after your pokemon got killed, boosts it even further. You get a Moxie boost, and you might be able to boost once with work up and start racking up kills.
I like this idea a lot, but that would make it solely a revenge killer if that's what you're going for. It seems a little situational because what if your previous Pokemon gets killed by a Water or Rock-type? I'm sure it's definitely a plausible set, but I' not sure how plausible.

I like this idea a lot, but that would make it solely a revenge killer if that's what you're going for. It seems a little situational because what if your previous Pokemon gets killed by a Water or Rock-type? I'm sure it's definitely a plausible set, but I' not sure how plausible.
Actually I was thinking that it could work as a revenge killer. I'm not sure if this is better than mixed, I need to test this. I'm raising two unnerve male litleo's so I'll have to check who has a spare female moxie pyroar. The rock type would be a problem indeed, altough I'm secretly hoping that move tutors in Z would give him better moves, like superpower or something like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)