New Terrain Moves

Hello, I really like the Doubles tier and in many ways I think it is more creative than Singles.

I want to discuss all the new field effects.

Here they are-

Electric Terrain- if the Pokémon is on the ground, it will wake up from Sleep, and be unable to fall asleep
The move Nature Power becomes Thunderbolt
Grassy Terrain- If the Pokémon is on the ground, it will recover 1/16th of its Hit Points each turn
If the Pokémon is on the ground, its Grass-type moves will be boosted 50%
The move Nature Power becomes Energy Ball
Misty Terrain- If the Pokémon is on the ground, it will not be able to be affected by a status condition
If the Pokémon is on the ground, and so is its target, their Dragon-type moves are reduced in power by 50%
The move Nature Power becomes Moon Blast

These moves will probably be very niche, but everything being immune to sleep is helpful to stop foes like Amoongus (which can be stopped now by grass type anyway though), but this effect is overshadowed by Misty terrain's all status immunity.

The grass type move boost will be good for offensive grass types, such as Exeggutor.

The all status immunity is fantastic and weakening powerful dragons like Garchomp is always good.

If anyone has good sets to put these to use, I will put them in this post.

Last edited:
Is Latios considered grounded? I guess we can't check, but levitate and JET PLANE MEGA seem to imply it would be sky battle legal and therefore airborne.

Misty Terrain's dragon nerf really only hits a few poor souls like Garchomp, Zygarde, Haxorus, and Druddigon. Latios draco meteors away with abandon.

Misty Terrain might be interesting as a way to shield your own dragon types from enemy dragons while they set up/you ice beam appropriate targets. Maybe Swords Chomp+Togekiss?

Does Misty Terrain remove status from any Pokemon on the field? Or does it just work like Safeguard? Also, do both the attacking and defending Pokemon need to be grounded for the reduced damage from Dragon type moves?

People have already thrown around using Electric Terrain for Discharge teams too. It also has the benefit over Misty Terrain of allowing non-sleep status to still affect the opponent.

About grassy terrain, Gogoat has a hidden ability Grass Pelt (I think) which increases its defence in grassy terrain. I'm wondering how a Gogoat would do paired with a Flower Veil Florges, it would be hard to kill.

Hey guys, thanks for replying.
Is Latios considered grounded? I guess we can't check, but levitate and JET PLANE MEGA seem to imply it would be sky battle legal and therefore airborne.

Misty Terrain's dragon nerf really only hits a few poor souls like Garchomp, Zygarde, Haxorus, and Druddigon. Latios draco meteors away with abandon.

Misty Terrain might be interesting as a way to shield your own dragon types from enemy dragons while they set up/you ice beam appropriate targets. Maybe Swords Chomp+Togekiss?
O thanks for that you are right, Latios is not grounded. Yeah Chomp + Kiss is cool but they are both weak to ice.
Does Misty Terrain remove status from any Pokemon on the field? Or does it just work like Safeguard? Also, do both the attacking and defending Pokemon need to be grounded for the reduced damage from Dragon type moves?

People have already thrown around using Electric Terrain for Discharge teams too. It also has the benefit over Misty Terrain of allowing non-sleep status to still affect the opponent.
I'm pretty sure that it works like safeguard. and yeah the QuakeDis teams can use electric terrain but I find that pretty niche and and mostly overshadowed by Misty Terrain.
About grassy terrain, Gogoat has a hidden ability Grass Pelt (I think) which increases its defence in grassy terrain. I'm wondering how a Gogoat would do paired with a Flower Veil Florges, it would be hard to kill.
Yes I suppose maybe, but they share a weakness to poison, and their STABs are resisted by Fire, Steel, and Poison types. And I find most attacks SE on Gogoat are special attacks, such as Ice Beam/Blizzard, Heat wave, and slugde bomb. And Florges doesn't get follow me according to the research thread.

The Dragon weakening effect of Misty Terrain seems inconsistent to me. Many commonly used Dragon-types aren't grounded (Dragonite, Hydreigon, Latios, Salamence come to mind) and if you want to weaken Garchomp and Zygarde's attacks I'd rather use something like Will-O-Wisp, which weakens all physical attacks.
The immunity to status conditions looks nice, but isn't Safeguard better? It works for all your Pokémon (instead of only grounded ones), it works only for your Pokémon (instead of yours and your opponent's), and it will probably have better distribution.

Does somebody know if Misty/Electric Terrain also prevent self-induced sleep? If so, they could be useful against the ChestoRest strategy at least.

Grassy Terrain sounded promising and even tried to use it, but giving your opponent free Leftovers looks a terrible idea to me. Especially in Double Battles, where Protect is a common move.

Yes I suppose maybe, but they share a weakness to poison, and their STABs are resisted by Fire, Steel, and Poison types. And I find most attacks SE on Gogoat are special attacks, such as Ice Beam/Blizzard, Heat wave, and slugde bomb. And Florges doesn't get follow me according to the research thread.
Gogoat gets Earthquake to deal with fire, steel, and poison, though Florges would have to protect the turn he used it since she has such little defense. Or maybe camouflage herself to grass type to resist it (with added bonuses of STABed, Terrain boosted grass attacks and Flower Viel effecting herself).

I tried to make use of Grass Pelt, but my experiences with Gogoat have been less than spectacular. I dunno if didn't invest in it's Attack enough (I wanted to make it bulky enough to survive Talonflame's attacks and be able to retaliate with Rock Slide) but it never did more than chip damage to anything with any of it's moves, aside from Leaf Blade. I eventually dropped it for a Talonflame of my own, and never looked back.

That's not to say I think Grassy Terrain is bad! Not at all! I've kept Grassy Terrain on my Florges, even as I replaced Aromatherapy with Energy Ball. Florges loves the extra recovery from it (comboed with Leftovers, I've had it go from tanking a particularly damaging move to sitting near full health later in the battle), as does Mega Tyranitar and Nidoqueen. The Sandstorm negates the Terrain recovery (or, in a more positive view, the terrain negates the sandstorm damage), and I could definitely see it working with Mega Abomasnow, giving it a pseudo-Leftovers to go with that massively improved Bulk while the Hail negates the healing on other Pokemon. If you didn't want Florges to just take the damage, you could put Safety Goggles on it...

Misty terrain is pretty sweet, I run it on a bulky support Aromatisse with screens. In a multi battle, I paired her up with an outrage-ing Haxorus, and he wouldn't get confused!

By the by, anyone know if roost activates the terrain? Because that would be pretty interesting.

I don't get it, wouldn't misty terrain weaken the power of your Outrage? What's the benefit over simply using Dragon Claw?

I don't get it, wouldn't misty terrain weaken the power of your Outrage? What's the benefit over simply using Dragon Claw?
Oh my god, I did not notice that. I was wondering why the Outrage spam wasn't doing much damage... -.-

Well, with the same principle, you could run petal dance or thrash or something on the terrain.

Male Meowstic is probably the best setter for Misty terrain with Prankster. I've had great success with it while running dual screens.

Has anyone tested whether or not Misty Terrain blocks confusion status. If it does I can see it pairing well with Swagger/Flatter to help boost your teammates.

Male Meowstic is probably the best setter for Misty terrain with Prankster. I've had great success with it while running dual screens.

Has anyone tested whether or not Misty Terrain blocks confusion status. If it does I can see it pairing well with Swagger/Flatter to help boost your teammates.
Have you read the above comments. It has been proved to block confusion. One thing I don't like is the number of turns it takes to set up screens/ terrain /swagger.
If the opponent play right with moves such as rage powder/ taunt/ follow me, then this strat is messed up.
I just realized something... Mega latios might be legal! Mamoswine everywere if that thing is good.
no hypotheticals please. also, i's sure latios can take an ice shard and KO back.

Have you read the above comments. It has been proved to block confusion. One thing I don't like is the number of turns it takes to set up screens/ terrain /swagger.
If the opponent play right with moves such as rage powder/ taunt/ follow me, then this strat is messed up.

no hypotheticals please. also, i's sure latios can take an ice shard and KO back.
I just tested and it turns out the terrain does not cancel out confusion.

I just tested and it turns out the terrain does not cancel out confusion.
Well, I stand corrected. That makes it less useful for the purpose of confusion move spamming.

In reality thought, none of these terrains will have more than a niche effect. They take a turn to set up and have limited effects. :l

Well, I stand corrected. That makes it less useful for the purpose of confusion move spamming.

In reality thought, none of these terrains will have more than a niche effect. They take a turn to set up and have limited effects. :l
I specifically asked if anyone tested, not assumed~
Each terrain boosts their respective types by 50%. That in itself is significant. Misty Terrain eases prediction on switches against status heavy teams, so does Electric terrain to a lesser extent. Seeing as how confusion is a rare status, Misty terrain could function as an effective alternative to safeguard. It should be noted that these terrains work for the opponent as well, but they can be very beneficial for you if you build you team with them in mind.

You can pair Meowstic with Aroma Veil Aromatisse which cancels out the majority of those issues (not sure about Rage Powder or Follow Me, which regardless, you're setting up and its a strong assumption to make that they'll use Follow me/Rage Powder consecutively in a row after the first one fails. I'll have to test if Rage Powder/Follow Me "affects mental state") They now have to waste time knocking on Aroma's door which in that case you'd have already fired off priority T-waves, and added screens to protect it. If you do use Terrains and the Swaggar, you'd have to be hitting non-grounded Pokemon, which, half of the time the Pokemon in VGC will be grounded.

To be fair, for me I haven't made Meowstic actually slot in Misty Terrain yet as I still have to consider my options, but to say the strat is completely messed up isn't entirely true.

I specifically asked if anyone tested, not assumed~
Each terrain boosts their respective types by 50%. That in itself is significant. Misty Terrain eases prediction on switches against status heavy teams, so does Electric terrain to a lesser extent. Seeing as how confusion is a rare status, Misty terrain could function as an effective alternative to safeguard. It should be noted that these terrains work for the opponent as well, but they can be very beneficial for you if you build you team with them in mind.
Not really.
Misty: There aren't enough good fairies or fairy moves to spam, safeguard was already pretty niche enough before giving it to your opponent for free too and most dragons are airborne
Electric: Zapdos, Rotom and Thundurus are airborne. The viable grounded electrics will cry when they see just 1 Earthquake user, so you can't spam them.

A 50% boost just isn't enough for a turn of set up on its own. When you start resricting which moves it applies to, which mons can use it and allowing your opponent to abuse the benefits as well then you are travelling into the realm of obscurity.
It may be possible to construct a decent gimmick from these moves, but they are very obscure.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)