Item Assault Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
I felt like putting an Assault Vest on a Torkoal because it happened to be the only Fire Type that learns Rapid Spin; and since Rapid Spin is considered a damaging move....

Woah, boi; put it simple, I found these most staggering results:

Torkoal's SpD W/o Assault Vest and 0+ SpD Evs: 176+
Torkoal's SpD W/o Assault Vest and 252+ SpD Evs and Positive Nature: 262+
Torkoal's SpD W/ Assault Vest and 0+ SpD Evs: 264+

Torkoal's SpD W/ Assault Vest and 252+ SpD Evs and Positive Nature: 396+

(If I have made any mistakes, please, tell me)
  1. Torkoal now has (somewhat) more Defense capabilities than an Heatran W/o an Assault Vest; while Torkoal's Single Fire Typing, which isn't considered Defensive in any means, and the fact that it's other stats are still subpar, it can still (somewhat) tank hits.
  2. Torkoal has access to Rapid Spin, and is the Only Fire Type that does learn Rapid Spin (At this point), as said above. It also has access to Earthquake, Sludge Bomb, Fire Blast, Eruption, Gyro Ball, Iron Tail, Fire Spin, Rock Slide, Stone Edge, Superpower, Skull Bash, and Rock Tomb; most of these moves, one way or another, have gotten improved with the latest changes from Gen VI's introduction, and Torkoal has enough Attack and Sp. Attack to pull off these moves off pretty nicely, and can deal with 1/3 of the Steel Type Uprising that the Fairy Type has suddenly awakened.
  3. While Torkoal won't have Stealth Rock, Shell Smash, Protect and Yawn anymore, it's Sp. Def boost is worth it; besides, there are more better Stealth Rock users out there (Ferrothorn and Forrertress, I'm looking at you two) that can team up with Torkoal.
  4. Torkoal may have (a very low chance) of finally see some usage in the higher tiers.

Put in short, Torkoal is now Heatran's younger cousin; and now, he is starting to grow up to be more like him, without entirely cloning Heatran's lifestyle (If that makes any sense at all).

(Yes, I'm overhyping Torkoal way too much, but you guys seem to like overhyping Xerneas like he is the goddamn Messia- oh wait).

So here is my custom built set (NOTE: Not tested, but it won't surely 100% backfire in every possibly wrong way):

Gamera; Defender of The Universe, and Niche User of Rapid Spin:

Torkoal (M) @ Assault Vest
Trait: White Smoke (It won't gain any stat boosts, but it won't loose any, either) / Shell Armor
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe OR 48 HP / 96 Atk / 172 SpA / 192 Spe OR As Suggested by Shroomisaur, 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
Mild / Careful / Gentle / Calm / Relaxed Nature (Depending on Movepool)
- Earthquake / Earth Power
- Fire Blast / Flamethrower / Heat Wave / Flame Charge / Lava Plume
- Sludge Bomb / Skull Bash / Superpower / Clear Smog
- Rapid Spin

While Torkoal's Movepool can be considered "shallow" at best, it has a few choice moves at disposal to compliment with it's Offensive Typing, while demolishing 1/3 of the Type Chart; for example, Torkoal can easily destroy Ferrothorn and Forrertress with Fire Blast, and disable their efforts with Rapid Spin, use Skull Bash and Flame Charge, to raise stats without the usage of support moves, Earthquake and Earth Power, to deal with the omnipresent Heatran (Even if it's considerably weak to even face a Heatran head on, alone, especially with it's own Assault Vest), or can use Superpower to deal with other Rock and Steel Types; Torkoal is no hassle with an Offensive Movepool, especially with the threats were dealing with currently (E.G: Scizor, and the already mentioned Tyranitar and Heatran).

It's Speed EVs is mostly maxed, to counteract with it's terribly low BST Speed (If it has Flame Charge, it's probably fine as is). As for it's Sp Attack and Attack, it can be considered a mixed bag, so we'll just leave it there. As for it's HP, it should be either almost maxed out completely, or a chunk of EVs, so it can tank hits more often.

Torkoal W/ Assault Vest can deal with most of the present threats that were in B/W, but as of Pokebank X/Y, it's going to have some problems, most likely with Heatran and Tyranitar; while Torkoal can deal with a Non-Mega Variant of Tyranitar, it might not be able to handle with Heatran (Who also happens to have the same Ground Type move's of it's more Defense oriented cousin), Gardevoir, Bulky Rock Types, and it's new found arch enemy, Guiro-erh, Barbaracle, and it's now older arch enemy, Zigr- erh, I mean, Jellicent. (Yes, I had to make those references, but how could not think the same as I when I was making this article?)

Support Pokemon, such as Clerics, and Stealth Rock users such as Blissey, Slurpuff, Aromatisse, Ferrothorn, Forrertress, or even Umbreon might be able to help out Torkoal, in terms of trying to heal the damage it has tanked/setup Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes; Ferrothorn and Forrertress are viable due to the former, while Blissey can easily deal with the "big bully" that is Heatran. Kyurem B might be able to help Torkoal deal with the more stronger Defensive threats that Torkoal deals with. Trappers, such as Magnezone, can make Steel Types even more setup fodder for Torkoal to spin/deal Fire Type damage to, while Mega Gengar, and Arena Trap Dugtrio can essentially do the job, only 18x better. Finally, Bulky Pokemon, such as Virizion and Rotom-W, can deal with other Bulky Rock and Water Types, such as Barbaracle and Jellicent.

Overall, Torkoal got a large improvement in terms of it's movepool, has alot more bulk now, and can deal with Steel and slower Rock Types; but that doesn't mean it deserves an Honor roll for all of these improvements. We have just witnessed a piece of what the future has what to come for Torkoal and hopefully, Game Freak, the gods they are, will bless Torkoal and other NU Pokemon even more in the years to come.

Last edited:

Nix_Hex

Uangaana kasuttortunga!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Assault Vest multiplies the Special Defense stat, not the base stat, by 1.5x, so the "effective base SpD" is quite different. The following formula can be used for any stat boosting item or ability to find the effective base power at level 100. This assumes a neutral nature, though I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.
B' = M*B + (M-1)/2*(36+floor(EV/4))
so it depends on how many EVs you pump into its SpD. Assuming 0, the effective base SpD is 114 but the number increases with more EVs. As a rule of thumb, multipliers in pokemon are ALWAYS to the resulting number and NEVER to the base stat.

Why would anyone even put AV on a pokemon that already has good Sp.defence?
If you have high Sp.defence, you will likely be hit by physical attacks more so it makes little sense.

Now putting it on a Tank or Physicaly defensive pokemon would be more Viable(imo) here is why.

Physicaly defensive pokemon are more likely to be hit by Sp.Attacks.

Tanks can take both kinds of hits fairly well, so using AV will increase thier Sp.defence, while still having notable defence.

Pokemon with a even BST in both areas can also use this item well.

If I'm wrong can someone explain why?...

Pokemon relies on specialization heavily. It is usually better to be an amazing special tank with below-average defense, than an above-average mixed tank. Why? Because you'll need to be switching into special attacks to force a dangerous special sweeper out. You likely cannot do that if you are investing in defense. Very few mixed pokemon exist. Typing, movepool, and stats simply don't allow it to be common.

Pokemon relies on specialization heavily. It is usually better to be an amazing special tank with below-average defense, than an above-average mixed tank. Why? Because you'll need to be switching into special attacks to force a dangerous special sweeper out. You likely cannot do that if you are investing in defense. Very few mixed pokemon exist. Typing, movepool, and stats simply don't allow it to be common.

Yes, but then they switch to a physical attacking pokemon. So now with minnor physical defence you will likely be KO'D easier.
While on a physicaly defencive pokemon, opponents will likely switch in a Sp attacker, but now you will take less damge because of assualt vest.
Now, you can take both kinds of hits.

Yes, but then they switch to a physical attacking pokemon. So now with minnor physical defence you will likely be KO'D easier.
While on a physicaly defencive pokemon, opponents will likely switch in a Sp attacker, but now you will take less damge because of assualt vest.
Now, you can take both kinds of hits.
There's a reason stuff like Shuckle dont see use. Most People are going to want a Pokemon that can fill a specific role, leaving Jack of all Trades Master of None uncommon. I'd rather have a extreme Special Wall or an extreme Physical Wall then a Wall that's Mediocre at both. Look at Blissey or Chansey. Extremely high HP and Sp. Def gives them incredible Walling potential against Special Attackers, despite the fact that any Close Combat from Lucario or Infernape would Spell it's demise. As I've said, Jacks of all Trades don't see much use because they dont excell in any particular role, such as Glalie, with Glalie's 80 Stats across the board it tries to please everyone but in the process fails to please anyone.

There's a reason stuff like Shuckle dont see use. Most People are going to want a Pokemon that can fill a specific role, leaving Jack of all Trades Master of None uncommon. I'd rather have a extreme Special Wall or an extreme Physical Wall then a Wall that's Mediocre at both. Look at Blissey or Chansey. Extremely high HP and Sp. Def gives them incredible Walling potential against Special Attackers, despite the fact that any Close Combat from Lucario or Infernape would Spell it's demise. As I've said, Jacks of all Trades don't see much use because they dont excell in any particular role, such as Glalie, with Glalie's 80 Stats across the board it tries to please everyone but in the process fails to please anyone.

I'm not nessicarly talking about it being only on even stat pokemon. I'm talking about turning a Physical wall into a Tank/Mixed wall, just by using assualt vest .

So, regarding my last post on my Tangrowth (regardless of if other people have mentioned it earlier, because I didn't bother to check), I decided to look further into this.

Here is a series of calcs. Here is the set I decided to run with, just to try stuff out...:

Tangrowth - Relaxed - Assault Vest
252 HP - 50 Def - 208 Sp Def
(I will note that the EV spread is not concrete and i was just playing around with it a tiny bit. I am sure some can be pulled out of sp def and put more in def, or vice versa depending on your goals.)

Blue is Tangrowth Defending. Red is Tangrowth Attacking.

252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Hidden Power Fire vs. +1 252 HP / 252+ SpD Tangrowth: 146-172 (36.13 - 42.57%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Payback (100 BP) vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gengar: 216-256 (82.75 - 98.08%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Life Orb Excadrill Iron Head vs. 252 HP / 50+ Def Tangrowth: 140-165 (34.65 - 40.84%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Earthquake vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Excadrill: 218-258 (60.22 - 71.27%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(sassy)
252 SpA Alakazam Signal Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 208+ SpD Tangrowth: 130-154 (32.17 - 38.11%) -- 1.03% chance to 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Payback (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Alakazam: 270-318 (107.14 - 126.19%) -- guaranteed OHKO

252+ SpA Choice Specs Politoed Ice Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 208+ SpD Tangrowth: 204-240 (50.49 - 59.4%) -- 78.52% chance to 2HKO
0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Politoed: 176-210 (45.83 - 54.68%) -- 53.52% chance to 2HKO

(sassy)
252 SpA Life Orb Espeon Signal Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 208+ SpD Tangrowth: 164-195 (40.59 - 48.26%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 Atk Tangrowth Payback (100 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Espeon: 218-258 (80.14 - 94.85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

(sassy)
52 SpA Life Orb Starmie Ice Beam vs. +1 252 HP / 208+ SpD Tangrowth: 174-205 (43.06 - 50.74%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
0 SpA Tangrowth Giga Drain vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Starmie: 200-236 (76.62 - 90.42%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

I did these calcs a few times because it seemed like the numbers were off a few times (in my last post that is)... I was really confused, because it said a fireblast from a Heatran was a 5HKO, then it said Gengar was a 8HKO with shadowball... none of it made sense. So I refreshed and reran the calcs, and it started to seem like it was clearer. I see that the over all bulk is less than I would have liked...

getting 2HKO'd from things like Heatran, while not OHKOing back unless the balloon is popped and you EQ it up.... eh.
But still, being bulky enough for a 3hko from standard life orb gengar, and being able to OHKO (practically) back is not something to scoff at.

Plus, the fact that Giga Drain will be healing Tangrowth back in most cases, as you will be using Tangrowth on things it can tank and hit back hard with... and even further, Regenerator.

I can see it not being as hot as I first thought, especially when I saw the first calcs I did (I knew something was up but I wanted to believe it so much...). And physical threats are actually causing problems for tangrowth, even with its natural physical bulk (albeit,with no investment).

But now I am looking at Conkeldur.... and that looks fun. Drain Punch seems like it can run some fun chaos. Machamp is interesting too. Snorlax looks sweet. I really like this item.

Last edited:
Slowbro Vest

Slowbro Assault vest
Regenerator
EVs: 128 HP / 252 SpA / 128 Spd
Modest nature
- Psychic
-Fire Blast
- Scald/Surf
-Ice Beam

I feel slowbro would be amazing with this because of its hidden ability(Regenerator)And its good coverage.Without need of recovery he can just sweep and when he does need it he can switch out.What are your thoughts?

I'm designing my Tyranitar specifically to beat Mega Gengar, should he find himself trapped.

So, Tyranitar needs 560 SpD to survive a Focus Blast from a max SpA MGengar after Stealth Rock 100% of the time.

This can be achieved by reaching 249 SpD in the sand with Assault Vest. Using a Sassy/Careful nature is overkill, so you're better off using a nature neutral to SpD and putting 52 EVs into SpD.

252+ SpA (custom) Focus Blast vs. +1 252 HP / 52 SpD Tyranitar in sand: 296-352 (73.26 - 87.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

----

As such, the best build that I can personally think to run on him would be this:

Brave
252 HP / 204 Def / 52 SpD

Crunch
Fire Blast
Ice Beam
Stone Edge

What about Assault Vest Trevenant?

Power up punch
Horn Leech
Shadow Claw
X-Scissor

Dont know about the Evs or if that poke can pull assault vest off decently.

That Slowbro set sounds nice. Definitely worth a try imo since in my experience, any form of recovery would be godsend for AV mons. If only it packed a lil' bit more punch.

I've been trying Assault Vest on a physically bulky Politoed for a rain team in Doubles, and it's been working pretty well for me so far. Since most Electric users are special-based, Assault Vest usually guarantees that he will survive their unboosted attacks. With Bold nature and max Hp/Defense, he can last even longer, making him a fine mixed tank.

The downsides? No Protect/Leftovers stalling, Encore, Hypnosis, and Perish Song.

Scald can still cause burns, so you can of work around the 'no status move'. He also gets Focus Blast and Ice Beam for additional coverage.

Last edited:

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
I've tried AV Tangrowth and it was horribly disappointing. It looks good on paper, but even with the Vest it can't take special hits well, it doesn't have enough offensive presence, and not having access to Sleep Powder, Leech Seed, or passive Lefties recovery really bites. Slowbro is a more interesting case though, since it can still threaten to Burn with Scald, but no Slack Off or Lefties... I'm not sure. I'll have to test it and see if it works.

Excadrill and Karmacharged 's Torkoal set are very interesting users since they can get some good mileage from AV, yet still provide support through Rapid Spin! If I were to use an AV Torkoal, the set would probably look something like this:

Torkoal @ Assault Vest
Nature: Relaxed
EVs: 248 HP / 96 Def / 164 SpD
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Earthquake
- Clear Smog

Obviously no Torkoal is complete without Rapid Spin, but Lava Plume should be the Fire STAB of choice thanks to its wonderful 30% Burn rate. Earthquake provides good coverage similar to Heatran's (Earth Power with a Bold nature can replace it once Pokebank arrives). Clear Smog should definitely be the last choice, since it acts as Haze and prevents opponents from boosting in your face, yet is an attack move so it works alongside Assault Vest.

It's a nice potential item on Pangoro, I feel. At base 71 SpD, it's exactly in the right zone to break the 100-pt mark with it. Not only would it make up for its abysmal speed, but Pangoro already gets natural steroids in the form of Iron Fist and PUP. Or Scrappy+PUP if you expect them to switch in a ghost. Enjoy that bolstered Crunch!

canno

formerly The Reptile
Hey guys, have an Assault Vest Excadrill.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor

I would like to say I came up with this myself, but I got the idea from people talking in the Excadrill analysis page. The EVs are there to assure that Gengar can never 2HKO with Focus Blast if it has no LO like Sub Disable does. The rest is dumped into Attack for more power. The moveset is pretty self explanatory I think, EQ is STAB, Rapid Spin is great utility, Rock Slide and X-Scissor are for general utility, and Shadow Claw is for Ghost-types. This thing is pretty cool overall. Might try a similar set on Starmie.

Yeah, Assault Vest Snorlax is really, really good. Assault Vest was pretty much built for a Pokemon like Snorlax, which has good offenses, some utility in Pursuit trapping, nice offensive coverage, and fantastic bulk. I've been using Return and Pursuit and testing out any two of Fire Punch, Superpower, and Earthquake. Fire Punch is really great for stuff like Ferrothorn and Forretress, while Superpower nails Steel-types along with Tyranitar. Earthquake is good for Aegislash, especially now that people are finally starting to use the mixed sets. VestLax gives you a check to just about every special attacker barring Keldeo, which has been really rare in PokeBank. The main problems with VestLax are a total lack of recovery and thus a huge weakness to passive damage—Sandstorm, Hail, and hazard damage all really add up on Snorlax, making it a bit harder to switch into some things than you'd like. I paired Snorlax with a nice Wish / U-turn Jirachi to make up for this a bit.
Can you expand on this more? I'm interested. Would you care to share your EV spread? I'm pairing him up with taunt-swords dance Gliscor

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpAtk / 4 Def
Modest Nature
- Water Pulse/Scald
- Aura Sphere/Flash Cannon
- Sludge Bomb/Ice Beam
- Dark Pulse

This is an extraordinarily simple and yet SUCCESSFUL set on showdown I have been testing.

It's like it was made to go hand in hand because Clawitzer can now take quite a few hits while still letting loose effective damage.

Think outside the box people. Tyranitar isn't the only pokemon who can use this thing.

Can you expand on this more? I'm interested. Would you care to share your EV spread? I'm pairing him up with taunt-swords dance Gliscor
I've been using a fairly custom spread with a lot of creep (Speed, some Defense EVs to live certain hits, etc.) but a simple 252 Atk / 252 SpDef spread with an Adamant nature is fine.

Hey guys, have an Assault Vest Excadrill.

Excadrill @ Assault Vest
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 172 HP / 84 Atk / 252 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Shadow Claw
- Rock Slide / X-Scissor

I would like to say I came up with this myself, but I got the idea from people talking in the Excadrill analysis page. The EVs are there to assure that Gengar can never 2HKO with Focus Blast if it has no LO like Sub Disable does. The rest is dumped into Attack for more power. The moveset is pretty self explanatory I think, EQ is STAB, Rapid Spin is great utility, Rock Slide and X-Scissor are for general utility, and Shadow Claw is for Ghost-types. This thing is pretty cool overall. Might try a similar set on Starmie.
The only Ghosts that Shadow Claw hits harder than STAB Earthquake are Gourgheist, Brifblim and Trevenant. With Mold Breaker you'll hit either form of Gengar. Rock Slide will give you far better coverage.

I've used the Slowbro set, it works well. It absolutely needs max HP to get the most out of Regenerator and really capitalize on his mixed bulk, and he really wants max SpA investment too because you primarily want to be a hit and run (or in Slowbro's case, hit and saunter) poke since you can't recover health while he's in play or boost. Tank a hit, hit the predicted switch (hitting Scizor with Fire Blast is popular) and then switch out to do it again.

I'm looking at pokes with naturally high HP. Brifblim has 150 HP. With his Flare Boost ability you can switch him into common WoW pokemon. He now has a SpA boost and Shadow Ball/Thunderbolt/Psychic and Icy Wind/Clear Smog for filler. Icy Wind cripples speedy pokemon that switch in. This set is definitely gimmicy and far outclassed by various Unburden sets.

Lapras has very balanced attack and defense stats well suited to a vest. 135/80/95 is quite bulky with Shell Armor and Water Absorb only furthering its sustainability. Freeze Dry and Water Absorb make it a supreme water counter and gets 4x effective damage against otherwise neutral Gyarados and Kingdra. If you Body Slam switch ins to nab paralysis then its speed gets mitigated and Hydro Pump/Freeze Dry/Ancient Power/Thunderbolt/Scald/Psychic is pretty fair for coverage. Being SR weak though and lacking Regenerator with lower SpA means Slowbro is really better at this though.

I think I faced an Assault Vest Swampert online before. Dude was tanky as hell, no lie. Won't get forced out as much and you'll be able to kill many things expecting to force you out with strong special attacks. Max HP and Attack and he can wreck with tons of high BP moves like Earthquake/Avalanche/Ice Punch/Stone Edge/Waterfall/Hammer Arm. Hammer Arm/Avalanche is a good combo for him. He can even go mixed and throw out Scalds/Focus Blast/Earth Power/Ice Beam too. Scald is a perfect fir for him.

I've been using a fairly custom spread with a lot of creep (Speed, some Defense EVs to live certain hits, etc.) but a simple 252 Atk / 252 SpDef spread with an Adamant nature is fine.
Ahh I used 252 Atk / 252 hp but I guess I'll try out your spread. Dude is tanky as heck

Honestly, here is the rules I go by before slapping Assault Vest on anything with overly good / bad Special Defense:
  1. The Pokemon needs to have 90+ Attacking Stats on either side of the spectrum.
  2. The Pokemon must have a reasonable Defense, to allow tanking on both sides of the spectrum.
  3. The Pokemon must be actually able to take a hit after Assault Vest, to ensure this I usually will use 60-70 SpD+
  4. The Pokemon must be able to forgo an item, some Pokemon that really need the extra power from Life Orb or a Choice Item, should generally stick to those items instead.
  5. Don't slap it onto some crazy shit that has super high defense like Aggron to make up for poor SpD.
  6. Always use Shuckle with Assault Vest
These are just my guidelines to myself. Also, here are a few Pokemon that I love Assault Vest on:

Landorus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- U-turn

Landorus-T makes great use of Assault Vest, as it has a huge Attack stat already and Intimidate turn him into a very nice bulky tank. It also gets good coverage with this set and can even bluff a Choice Item. It isn't exactly the best because most Water and Ice type attacks are special, and even with Assault Vest he dies to almost any Ice Beam.

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 295 or 79 BST-Wise.

Arcanine @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- ExtremeSpeed
- Flare Blitz
- Wild Charge

Arcanine has always been a great wall (I've always used it like that) and Assault Vest turns it into a very formidable wall, just like Lando. The problem with Arcanine is that even though it has 6 Resistances, it also gets stalled by Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock easily. Defog somewhat makes up for this, but still, it can be an issue if you lack one.

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 295 or 79 BST-Wise.

Latias (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Latias is an odd candidate for Assault Vest, as it already has a high SpD, but with Assault Vest it turns into a wonderful wall. It has an excellent typing to wall with and makes a very good stop to most Special Attackers. It has the right mix of SpA and SpD to make it worthwhile. Look at the stats below, it has even more SpD than Registeel!

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 444 or ~154 BST-Wise.

Serperior @ Assault Vest
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Giga Drain
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Fire]

While Serperior doesn't seem like a wall, it really isn't. It makes good use of Assault Vest, however. Giga Drain might seem redundant because you'll most likely just spam Leaf Storm, but Giga Drain provides the Recovery that adds well with A.V. Serprior also has a huge Speed stat, making it a perfect somewhat Special Pokemon.

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 340 or 105 BST-Wise.

Magnezone @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Bold Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Normally, I wouldn't suggest not running HP Investment on a Wall, but on Magnezone it really needs the Defense. It turns it into a ferocious wall with it's amazing Resistances and really doesn't care about the nerf to Steel. It can now make more use of it's STAB than ever! Sturdy is better on this set over Magnet Pull as it allows you to further wall Dragonite, which seems to be running rampant nowadays.

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 324 or 97 BST-Wise.

Next up is my personal favorite, a forgotten fellow thanks to Fairies, but still, probably the best Assault Vest user out there in my opinion!

SCRAFTY!

Scrafty @ Assault Vest
Adamant Nature
- Stone Edge
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch
- Knock Off

Scrafty hasn't been mentioned once ;_;. Fairies being a huge burden to it now really sadden me. It still is probably the most viable A.V. user in my eyes. Between it's already great bulk, Intimidate, and Assault Vest, good looking trying to break through it. It can now enjoy the Knock Off boost more than ever! Drain Punch also adds reliable recovery, with Stone Edge and Ice Punch giving you perfect coverage. Honestly, Fairy types can be handled, they don't exactly spell doom except for the ferocious beast Igglybuff ;__;.

Special Defense after Assault Vest: 400 or 133 BST-Wise.

I came across a couple of things, while looking for stuff that hadn't already been mentioned:

Donphan
90/120/120/60/60/50
Boosting special defence helps him take the newly nerfed Hidden Power even better, making him a decent check to Electric types and some mixed attackers who rely on HP for coverage. He also gained Play Rough this generation, which helps him check physical dragons too. And of course, he can more easily take attacks from special spinblockers. In return he loses phazing, SR and Lefties - but Hippowdon put those to better use anyway.

Hydreigon
92/105/90/125/90/98
He might not be known for his tankiness, but he does have the movepool to get by with 4 attacks. Immunity to spikes helps mitigate the loss of Roost, while AV helps him take resisted attacks and coverage moves from bulky ghosts like Jellicent. Although let's face it, he's not taking fairy or fighting moves from Gengar without significant investment, so I'm hoping he drops to UU where that won't be a problem.

Cobalion
91/90/129/90/72/108
Immunity to one hazard and double resistance to another got me thinking about this. AV patches up his awful special defence, more significant now that he has lost a resistance. Something like Close Combat/Iron Head/Volt Switch and coverage could do well as a UU scout, although it might have more of a niche use than his boosting and support sets.

Can't think of much else. This item would really appreciate better distribution of Drain Punch/Horn Leech, so... bring on the move tutors!

Last edited:
Also, I found this funny, Shuckle with 252 EVS / 31 SpD IVs / Calm Nature with Assault Vest in Sand reaches a breathtaking 1381 Special Defense xD

Also, I found this funny, Shuckle with 252 EVS / 31 SpD IVs / Calm Nature with Assault Vest in Sand reaches a breathtaking 1381 Special Defense xD
252 SpA Life Orb Deoxys-A Psycho Boost vs. Assault Vest 252 HP / 252+ SpD Shuckle in sand: 66-79 (27.04 - 32.37%) -- possible 4HKO
Oh. Shit.

Then again I have used Special attacking Darmanitan in OU for laughs a time or two.

The funny thing is that it actually does stuff. Unlike AV Shuckle (lol).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)