Gen 4 [OU RMT]When in Doubt, Spam Blizzard; An OU 4th Gen Hail Team

Sup. This is my first RMT so my team may suck a little. I decided to do a hail team because I can. Lets start with the first pokemon, shall we?

Frosty@Life Orb

Modest
252 Special Attack, 252 Health, 4 Special Defense
Blizzard
Energy Ball
Focus Blast
Protect
Of course, a hail team needs a hail setter. Frosty the Snowman doesn't take your crap and can KO the foes with powerful special moves. Blizzard under hail is useful for many reasons: It has 100% accuracy, it has a base power of 120 + 50% because of STAB = 180 base power. With life orb, Blizzard's total power is about 230! Blizzard can also break through protect and thus wreck scouts. It also attacks both foes. The chance to freeze also comes in handy. Energy Ball, because of STAB, has a base power of 120. It also has a 10% chance to lower special defense. Focus Blast is there because it has a base power of 120 and also has a 10% to lower special defense. Protect is there to scout the opponent and protect itself from the foe.

Manny@Life Orb

Brave
252 Health, 126 Attack, 126 Special Attack
Blizzard
Ice Shard
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Back from the Ice Age, Manfred the Mammoth is here to destroy the foe with powerful attacks. Blizzard works well under hail and can be used well with Mamoswine's mediocre special attack. Ice Shard is a good way to finish the foe and can be used to revenge kill. Earthquake is the strongest STAB move Mamoswine has. With life orb as well, Earthquake has a base power of about 195 and goes well with Frosty because of protect. Stone Edge is for coverage and has a base power of about 133. Brave may not be the best nature, but I didn't want to lower the defenses.

Snow Ghost@Life Orb

Modest
252 Special Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense
Blizzard
Shadow Ball
Thunderbolt
Psychic
Snow Ghost is here to spook the foes. Like Frosty, Snow Ghost uses strong special attacks. Also like Frosty, Snow Ghost has her special attack raised by 30%. Blizzard has 100% accuracy and a base power. of about 230 like Frosty. It also has a 30% to break through protect and 10% to freeze the foe. Shadow Ball is another STAB move and has a base power of 120. It also has a 10% to lower the target's special defense. Psychic is there to take down fighting types that half of my pokemon are weak to and also has a 10% chance to lower special defense. Thunderbolt is mainly for coverage and can also paralyze the target.

Bronzong@Light Clay

Careful
252 Health, 126 Defense, 126 Special Defense
Payback
Light Screen
Reflect
Hypnosis
With good defenses and typing, Bronzong went on my team. Since my team seems a little frail, I neede a dual screener. Light Screen increases mt team's special defense by 50% while reflect raises my defense by 50% as well. With light clay, reflect and light screen will last an additional 3 turns more. Hypnosis is a good support move and can set up a KO for one of my sweepers such as Mamoswine or Froslass. Payback is for coverage and to finish off foes.

Starmie@Leftovers

Careful
252 Health, 126 Defense, 126 Special Attack
Rapid Spin
Hydro Pump
Grass Knot
Psyshock
Desperately needing a rapid spinner and a counter to fighting types, I went with Starmie. Stamie has the capability of keeping my team safe from sunny day teams as well as rain dance team. Rapid Spin is to remove any hazards such as stealth rock or spikes. Hydro Pump is the strongest STAB move Starmie has got and with a base power of 180, it packs a punch. This is my only way to defeat fire types besides Hariyama's Stone Edge and Earthquake. Grass Knot is a good move to has and can destroy rain dance teams. Since it is Gen 4, the only pokemon that can set up sunny day or rain dance via ability is Kyogre and Groudon, which are in Ubers, so I do not have to worry much. Psyshock is a strong move and is STAB. It is unique because it targets the opponents defense instead of special defense, making walls like Blissey easier to defeat.

Sumo Sam@Expert Belt

Adamant
252 Attack, 252 Health, 4 Defense
Close Combat
Bulk Up
Stone Edge
Earthquake
If you thought that a Tyranitar could easily rip through my team, you haven't seen Hariyama! Close Combat is the strongest STAB move he has and has a base power of 180. Close Combat can easily OHKO Tyranitar. If it has sash, hail will KO it. Earthquake is for coverage and has a base power of 100. Stone Edge is also for coverage against flying types. Bulk Up can increase Hariyama's defense and attack by 1 stage and can release powerful blows afterward. With a lot of bulk, Hariyama can survive a super effective move or two before it is taken down. Expert Belt increases the base power of super effective moves by 20%.

So this is my team. Let me know what you think of it.
The Awesome Dude

Last edited:
Read the rules please, your descriptions aren't good enough. PM me with improved descriptions and I'll unlock this.

I'm starving, so here are some quick thoughts before I get food:

First, change your Mamoswine set to 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SpA, with a Naive nature. Brave Mamoswine will not be accomplishing much, being outsped by so many Pokemon that it would really like to outspeed, such as Heatran. You can also run the +Atk/-SpD nature, whatever that is. There's also no reason to invest in Special Attack, since Blizzard does enough without any investment. You really only need it to 2HKO Skarmory. MixMamo is a terrific sweeper though, so good choice there.

Abomasnow's set also needs some work, albeit only a little bit. Although I've never enjoyed the Life Orb attacking set, I am all about throwing down some full-power Blizzards, so if you want to keep that set I'd recommend either Grass Knot or Giga Drain over Energy Ball. Grass Knot will hit most things you want to hit harder, while Giga Drain provides recovery at the cost of power. Also, Focus Miss should be replaced by HP Fire (in my opinion), to OHKO Scizor on the switch. Grass Knot will do what you need it to with Tyranitar anyway.

Then there's Froslass. A cool Pokemon no doubt, but I do not believe this set is the best for her to run. She has a niche being the only Spinblocker to also have hazards, so a Spiking set would make better use of her abilities. If you want a Pokemon who can fill a similar role to the set you have now, Choice Scarf Rotom-F has Thunderbolt and Blizzard, plus Trick to cripple opposing walls.

I am going to recommend replacing Bronzong. Setting up screens is great and all, but you don't have any set-up sweepers to abuse them. I also believe Bronzong to be a horrendous Pokemon, but that's beside the point. On this team I would recommend Skarmory. Skarmory can also run Spikes or Stealth Rock, which you should definitely use on it. Mamoswine looooves hazards.

As for the Starmie set, using the Bulky Rapid Spin set on the site would probably be a better option than this one. Starmie really loves having Speed, and you need to be more secure against Infernape.

Finally, Hariyama. Use Leftovers over Expert Belt so he doesn't take damage from Hail every turn. Also, since he's so important to countering Tyranitar (Another problem Skarmory could help with). With Guts as your ability, you could run a strong RestTalk set. It would also give you a status absorber to take Spore from Breloom. Then you could switch to Skarmory to sponge hits, but I digress. I'm not sure on the specifics of such a set, but check the site.

That's all I've got for now, I tried not to change too much to keep your team intact and to keep with the idea that your team was built for fun. It's very similar to my own Hail team, so I also tried recommending changes that would make it different. Good luck!

Thanks for your advice!
I think I'll keep my Froslass set and replace Bronzong with Skarmory.
I will take your advie on Abomasnow (I now have giga drain instead if energy ball and hidden power fire instead of focus blast), Mamoswine(changed nature and ev's), Hariyama)item is now leftovers), and Starmie(changed to the set on smogon).
Anyone else have any suggestions?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)