Pokémon Absol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Learnable in Gen 4/5 by move tutor, which is not yet available.

Also, I just looked on Serebii, and it's listed in the Gen V Only moves section. So... <3

Anyway, this conversation is over, it's a waste of my time, and I'm done with it.
What a professional. Will you be my dad?

It's available within a month and won't present much of a problem with any of Absol's other moves besdies Play Rough which is by no means necessary on him. I was just mentioning it as most people in all threads are mentioning things that won't come till Pokebank arrives. It will be the main STAB move of Mega Absol once its available so, you know, yeah. Pretty important.

Knock-off is really not that good on Absol. Absol wants to destroy things with priority, not cripple defensive walls. Pursuit isn't that great on it either just because Absol wants to guarantee KOs. It does not want to take a hit under any circumstances.

Does the fact that Absol cannot switch in with Magic Bounce (for the 1st time) makes it a weaker magic bounce user than Espeon?
Not really, because of its amazing offensive power. You wouldn't really use mega absol just for magic bounce, you use it because its an offensive monster.
Magic bounce is like an extra thing.

Adamant Zoroark

catchy catchphrase
is a Contributor Alumnus
Does the fact that Absol cannot switch in with Magic Bounce (for the 1st time) makes it a weaker magic bounce user than Espeon?
Well Magic Bounce isn't even what makes Mega Absol so great (that Speed and those mixed attacking stats are, really, but Magic Bounce is a factor, blocking Will-O-Wisp and shit) and... Let's be honest, Espeon's not a great user of Magic Bounce.

Even then, when it comes to just looking at Magic Bounce, Mega Absol has a niche in being the only user of the ability not weak to Pursuit. Overall, though, if you want a teammate exclusively for abusing Magic Bounce, use Xatu.

Right now, I am still in the process of building my team and I haven't decided which Mega to use. Mega-Absol seems like a really solid pokemon but it seems to be really fragile and imo, not-so-ideal typing. I guess I really need to try this pokemon out myself to really gauge its effectiveness.

Absol's typing is inconsequential really... it will be KOed if it gets hit. Dark-STAB on the other hand is really good. Especially this gen.

Absol's typing is inconsequential really... it will be KOed if it gets hit. Dark-STAB on the other hand is really good. Especially this gen.
That was my problem when I used it. Send it out against a Smeargle lead? Turn 2 forfeit. Any other situation? You might get a kill with it, but you really do get OHKOd by pretty much anything. Not nearly enough reward for the amount of risk imo. Even when I got a SD up (which is hard in itself on this thing) I couldn't OHKO a lot of stuff

Klefki's Foul Play (or nearly any Foul Play for that matter) is a 2HKO on Mega Absol. That is a resisted hit, just so you guys get an idea of how frail Absol is.

ManlySylveon

Banned deucer.
Is there any merit to running super luck as the pre-mega ability? With the increased crit chance it might see use for punishing a defensive stat booster as crits bypass boosts and Absol has 130 base attack which is super scary. I can see the use in Justified but the most common dark type attack is pursuit and even with resists, Absol is near enough dead even after taking a resisted hit before evolving. I have a shiny super luck one from chaining in Diamond and I guess I'm just trying to see if there's any merit to using it over a bred Justified one.

Is there any merit to running super luck as the pre-mega ability? With the increased crit chance it might see use for punishing a defensive stat booster as crits bypass boosts and Absol has 130 base attack which is super scary. I can see the use in Justified but the most common dark type attack is pursuit and even with resists, Absol is near enough dead even after taking a resisted hit before evolving. I have a shiny super luck one from chaining in Diamond and I guess I'm just trying to see if there's any merit to using it over a bred Justified one.
There is very, very little reason to use Absol at all pre-Mega, if you have the Mega Stone on it. It is far slower, has much less power, and is susceptible to status moves. If you're trying to abuse the crit chance, you'd probably be better off working with a non-Mega Absol (who could carry a Scope Lens or Life Orb).
Mega-Evolving should really be the first thing Absol does if it is carrying the stone, so you would never get a chance to use Super Luck with an attack. However, there's a chance that Justified might trigger if you predict a weak Dark Attack properly and switch into it (or predict a different Attack and switch in, only to get hit by a weak Dark Attack), so it becomes the better Ability for it to carry, simply because it's really the only one which has the possibility to activate on a Mega-set. Some Pokémon may work for playing mind-games with, and leaving them in their base form for a turn or two, but Absol is not one of them. The critical chance is just not worth the trade off.
With crits already reduced to 1.5x damage, and Absol not having the Mega-form buff to its attack, you're not losing a lot of damage even with 100% crits anyway (and they're still not going to be super common, especially with no other crit boosts). Consistency of boosted damage, Speed from the Mega-form, and the defense (and aid in Sucker Punch prediction) it picks up with Mega just overwhelm the minor chance to tear through defensive buffs.

Also, the OP hasn't been updated, but have the Base Stats for Mega-Absol been confirmed? Bulbapedia lists it as 65 / 150 / 60 / 115 / 60 / 115, but I'm wondering if that's accurate. If so, and if we are going for a mixed attacker, would it be better for a Nature that lowers Def, SpD, or does it matter, since Absol is so frail anyway?

Last edited:
I went with Naive on my Absol. Are people still using Protect? I've found a mixed Protect with 3 attacks set to be effective. Here's the set I'm runnng currently:

Absol @ Absolite
Pressure -> Magic Bounce:
Naive 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
-Protect
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast

Probably the main problem with Knock Off is that it's illegal with Play Rough, which is probably Absol's best way to deal with Dark-types. It does get Super Power from the Tutor as well, but lowering your Atk isn't the best idea, especially if you're running Swords Dance.

Though, a set utilizing Knock Off, Super Power, and 2 of Pursuit, Fire Blast, and Ice Beam could certainly see some use as a mixed wall breaker. Knock Off hits walls much harder than Sucker Punch so if you don't need the priority to check fast things, you can use Knock Off to deal with defensive teams more easily.

I went with Naive on my Absol. Are people still using Protect? I've found a mixed Protect with 3 attacks set to be effective. Here's the set I'm runnng currently:

Absol @ Absolite
-Protect
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
I don't like Protect. I think just Sucker Punching as you mega-evolve is a much better strategy, if they don't attack you then Protect was wasted anyway (and status moves just get bounced back). It serves the same basic purpose. Unless it's something bulky that Absol can't OHKO. In which case you're KOed next turn anyway most likely.

The only use I really see is if you wanna use Absol as an Espeon/Xatu and use Magic Bounce for utility. Which doesn't really work... Absol is a late-game cleaner, that's it's job pretty much.

Absol @ Absolite
-Protect
-Sucker Punch
-Play Rough
-Fire Blast
Why do you have fire blast???? Steel doesnt resist Dark type moves.

They can't lay anything in front of Mega Absol because of magic bounce.
Right. I knew that... I think. It's been a while since I've used Absol. But yeah, it's for those things anyway. They're bulky enough to take an unboosted hit and can deal decent damage.

I may be wrong, but it seems like you should have a teammate for them like Magnezone, instead of wasting a valuable moveslot on such a situational move
It's not situational, all Absol since Diamond/Pearl have been running Fire Blast in order to deal with Steel, Ice and Grass types easily, also, it would be a shame to don't put that great special attack to use.

It's not situational, all Absol since Diamond/Pearl have been running Fire Blast in order to deal with Steel, Ice and Grass types easily, also, it would be a shame to don't put that great special attack to use.
Yeah but that was when Steel completely shut down dark.

Obviously it works but in Gen 6 i would find something else like putting Baton Pass or something. Just my opinion. I see where you are coming from though

I think Snatch would be more useful, but that's gonna be illegal with Play Rough and Fire Blast is good on pretty much all of the most common steel types in the tier... certainly more useful than Baton Pass or something.

Im currently using on Showdown an Adamant Absol with Absolite 252 Atk/252 Spe/4 SAtk as my lead
with the moves:
Swords Dance
Sucker Punch
Fire Blast
Play Rough

Fire Blast is amazing specially against Ferrothotn,Foretress,Skarmory,Klefky etc...
I megaevolve turn one blocking hazards and go for SD or Fire Blast to get tons of damage on them.

Ok. How about this. A scizor with baton pass and swords dance plus 2 stab moves seems perfect synergy for absol, being able to take care of of fairy and fighting types and allow absol to set up. What do you guys think. I'm new to this so is that dumb?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)