Berry Research

Are you interested in berry research?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Further info on the above: The soil dries 4 hours after the time when you last watered it, rather than the same time the berry advances to the next cycle.
Which essentially means that 4 hours is the singular unit of growth for Berries, and all the growth cycles are based on multiples of that. I wonder if the occurrence rates of weeds/shaking are based off this as well.

As much as I hate to sacrifice perfectly good berries, I am currently testing how long it takes for each berry to become withered. If it turns out to vary depending on the berry used, I will add that to the growth times on the spreadsheet. Somehow I suspect that it's going to be a static 24 hours or so though.

After I have this done, I will update the table in the first post.

Which essentially means that 4 hours is the singular unit of growth for Berries, and all the growth cycles are based on multiples of that. I wonder if the occurrence rates of weeds/shaking are based off this as well.
If you stand next to the berry tree right as the 4 hours are about to tick, you can see a sudden burst of light as it changes to the next stage. I observed some weeds instantly popping up as this happened. I am not sure whether weeds can pop up at any other time though. I hypothesize that weeds have a random chance of occurring every 4 hours regardless of berry growth rate. Confirmation would be very helpful.

One more thing: how exactly do you get Lansat/Starf berries?

I was gonna make a thread for this weeks ago but got distracted with other things, lol. I guess I can still help out.

If you stand next to the berry tree right as the 4 hours are about to tick, you can see a sudden burst of light as it changes to the next stage. I observed some weeds instantly popping up as this happened. I am not sure whether weeds can pop up at any other time though. I hypothesize that weeds have a random chance of occurring every 4 hours regardless of berry growth rate. Confirmation would be very helpful.
I have experienced both weeds growing and bugs showing up at the 'refresh' time on trees that didn't change to the next form. I'm certain it's just random if they pop up or not, unless you're using rich mulch and it decreases the chances. Not sure though, haven't used any mulch yet. I would assume it only happens at the 4 hour mark like everything else but I'm going to sit and watch the fields while I'm at work today and see.

I have a feeling how well you do in the battle against Inver determines what kind of berry/berries he gives you. I did really well and got mostly super effective hits in, and he gave me a single Wacan berry. The next day I didn't get in so many super effective hits, but none of my pokes fainted and he gave me a few Sitrus berries. Today, I did really bad, a few of my pokemon fainted, and he gave me a single Sitrus berry.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
I have a feeling how well you do in the battle against Inver determines what kind of berry/berries he gives you. I did really well and got mostly super effective hits in, and he gave me a single Wacan berry. The next day I didn't get in so many super effective hits, but none of my pokes fainted and he gave me a few Sitrus berries. Today, I did really bad, a few of my pokemon fainted, and he gave me a single Sitrus berry.
I can confirm this. One time Inver gave me a few Oran berries because I did really badly.

It has been 72 hours since my Oran berries became fully grown, and they have not withered yet. I think it might take a full week.

I got 7 Maranga berries from a tree where I used amaze mulch. Tiny sample size.

I am currently testing to see if weeds can grow at any time, or only during 4 hour "ticks".

Updated the table in the first post.

I can also confirm that Kee/Maranga berry takes effect after being hit, not before. I had Ledyba Mach Punch Chansey, doing 38 damage and activating the berry. The next turn, I Mach Punched again, doing only 22 damage.

Update: I found that weeds can grow at times other than the 4 hour tick. I planted 18 kee berries at 12:00PM to 12:05PM. I cleared all weeds at 1:20AM, then came back later and found weeds on three plants at 2:50AM.

Of course, if someone else can confirm that this was not a hallucination caused by sleep deprivation, that would be great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kee and Maranga berries have a yield of 2-4 without mulch.

Added a new research target: find the colour of each berry.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Kee and Maranga berries have a yield of 2-4 without mulch.

Added a new research target: find the colour of each berry.
The guide has this listed. I can type it up, just give me a few minutes.

Blue: Apicot, Coba, Kelpsy, Maranga, Oran, Passho, Rowap, Yache
Green: Aguav, Babiri, Durin, Hondew, Kebia, Lum, Micle, Rabuta, Rawst, Rindo, Salac, Starf, Tanga, Wepear
Pink: Mago, Magost, Nanab, Pecha, Persim, Petaya, Roseli, Watmel
Purple: Belue, Bluk, Chesto, Colbur, Cornn, Ganlon, Kasib, Pamtre, Payapa, Wiki
Red: Cheri, Chople, Custap, Figy, Haban, Lansat, Leppa, Liechi, Occa, Pomeg, Spelon, Tamato
Yellow: Aspear, Charti, Chilan, Grepa, Iapapa, Jaboca, Kee, Nomel, Pinap, Qualot, Shuca, Sitrus, Wacan

The guide has this listed. I can type it up, just give me a few minutes.

Blue: Apicot, Coba, Kelpsy, Maranga, Oran, Passho, Rowap, Yache
Green: Aguav, Babiri, Durin, Hondew, Kebia, Lum, Micle, Rabuta, Rawst, Rindo, Salac, Starf, Tanga, Wepear
Pink: Mago, Magost, Nanab, Pecha, Persim, Petaya, Roseli, Watmel
Purple: Belue, Bluk, Chesto, Colbur, Cornn, Ganlon, Kasib, Pamtre, Payapa, Wiki
Red: Cheri, Chople, Custap, Figy, Haban, Lansat, Leppa, Liechi, Occa, Pomeg, Spelon, Tamato
Yellow: Aspear, Charti, Chilan, Grepa, Iapapa, Jaboca, Kee, Nomel, Pinap, Qualot, Shuca, Sitrus, Wacan
ooh thanks, I knew there was information out there but couldn't find it.

Wait, is this from a previous gen? It has unobtainable berries listed on it.
Although I'm 99.9% sure that they wouldn't change the colour of berries in gen 6 for no reason...

Edit: will add this to the table in the next update.

Edit: Enigma berry has no colour?

UPDATE: It has been one full week since my Oran berries became fully grown, and they have not withered yet.

Last edited:
Awesome thread guys. I started mass-planting berries when I read in the game guide that the juices would increase base stats, but felt a little ripped off when I found out you can only make one a day :( But definitely going to continue planting the EV reducing berries, great way to fix minor mistakes in my training without having to start all over again.

Update: I found that weeds can grow at times other than the 4 hour tick. ...
Of course, if someone else can confirm that this was not a hallucination caused by sleep deprivation, that would be great.
I can confirm that for you.
I can also confirm that. Weeds grow weirdly, randomly, and pretty fast.

EDIT: I would like to ask for research on a simple question. I would like to know what berry yields are with Rich Mulch (the one that is supposed to be best for AFK farming) if you do not tend to berries at all. The practical significance is obvious: berries require too much damn attention to maintain weed free. I'll plant a few berries, but I might also leave forever soon.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
ooh thanks, I knew there was information out there but couldn't find it.

Wait, is this from a previous gen? It has unobtainable berries listed on it.
Although I'm 99.9% sure that they wouldn't change the colour of berries in gen 6 for no reason...

Edit: will add this to the table in the next update.

Edit: Enigma berry has no colour?

UPDATE: It has been one full week since my Oran berries became fully grown, and they have not withered yet.
That is the information listed in the XY Kalos Guide.

I grew up a full set of EV-reducing berries, so my sample size was 36. I kept them watered and de-weeded two or three times. I got a harvest range of 2-9 berries, but the majority were either 5 or 6 (mean 5.7, median 6).

This has been really slowing down lately, and it's partially my fault for not organizing things very well.

I think the problem could be that people are not sure how they can help. I listed some specific jobs to do in the first post. If you are interested in one of them, post or PM and I'll list your name next to it so that people know that someone is already doing that job.

You can do things that are not currently listed, but it would be helpful to finish up the listed ones first.

I'd like to help out starting this weekend. Task 1, group 2 sounds like a good place to start, if there is still a need?

I'd like to help out starting this weekend. Task 1, group 2 sounds like a good place to start, if there is still a need?
Yes, that would be great.

I'm somewhat annoyed how few people are volunteering to do something compared to the number of people who initially supported this.

I grew up a full set of EV-reducing berries, so my sample size was 36. I kept them watered and de-weeded two or three times. I got a harvest range of 2-9 berries, but the majority were either 5 or 6 (mean 5.7, median 6).
Do you remember if you used any type of mulch?

Anyway, my own report:
Leppa does not seem to have the same growth rate as Oran and the status berries. I found a minimum yield of 3 for it, compared to 5 for oran and status. Will need another day to have conclusive data.
The berries that I planted 12 days ago have not yet wilted. I only have half a field to work with because of that. If they do not wilt in 14 days, I will just clear them away.

Last edited:
Minimum yield of cheri chesto pecha rawst aspear oran persim is 4.
Minimum yield of figy wiki mago aguav iapapa is 3.
Minimum yield of Leppa is 2.

The minimum yield of each of the above increased by exactly 1 when I watered them once in 24 hours.

Leppa is weird. It's the only berry that doesn't share its growth rate and yield exactly with another berry.

I'll do 2a group 1. I just cleared off my field anyway.

RESULTS:

All berries watered once when planted and never watered again. Deweeding and debugging equally on both sides.

Side 1 - no mulch. Side 2 - Growth Mulch

Side 1 Row 1 (Pecha)
9-9-14-11-5-9 Total: 57

Side 2 Row 1 (Pecha)
9-11-12-12-8-9 Total: 61

Side 1 Row 2 (Oran)
9-5-7-9-9-7 Total: 46

Side 2 Row 2 (Oran)
11-7-11-9-9-9 Total: 56

Side 1 Row 3 (Chesto)
6-7-11-10-10-6 Total: 50

Side 2 Row 3 (Chesto)
6-9-6-10-10-6 Total 47​

Total yield side 1: 153
Total yield side 2: 164

Average yield side 1: 8.5
Average yield side 2: 9.1

Honestly, I'd call that within normal deviation. It'd take a bigger sample size to be certain, but if it's increasing at all it's by MAYBE a berry a tree. Particularly Row 3 makes me feel like the Growth Mulch did nothing without extra watering.

Last edited:
Honestly, I'd call that within normal deviation. It'd take a bigger sample size to be certain, but if it's increasing at all it's by MAYBE a berry a tree. Particularly Row 3 makes me feel like the Growth Mulch did nothing without extra watering.
That might very well be possible. It could be that growth mulch itself doesn't increase berry yield, but it allows you to water more often and every time you water the berry you increase its yield. If you are going to continue, I'd suggest trying 2b to see if there's a big difference there.

My own stuff:
Minimum yields:
cheri chesto pecha rawst aspear oran persim:
4 with nothing
5 watering once in 24 hours
7 watering once in 24 hours + rich mulch

figy wiki mago aguav iapapa:
3 with nothing
4 watering once in 24 hours
5 watering once in 24 hours + rich mulch

leppa:
2 with nothing
3 watering once in 24 hours
5 watering once in 24 hours + rich mulch

As soon as I have the other half of my field available I'll check with group 3 to see if the boosts from watering and mulch are simple addition or a percent boost.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)