3v3 Singles Metagame Discussion Thread

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Been using Adamant Scarf Staraptor on this thing and it's actually been a godsend to my rating. It seems weird to use a Scarf Staraptor when Talonflame exists, but Staraptor has the benefit of having Reckless in its movepool which makes it an absolute KILLER at spamming Brave Bird. A big help is that given how common Rotom is due to Talonflame, Staraptor has no issue smashing one open with Double-Edge, however it's preferred to not be at full HP...A Rotom-W took like ~95% from Double-Edge and killed me the subsequent turn. Been having some real overall success with it, as thanks to Close Combat (though I rarely use it unless I can predict 200% accurately with it) it's a lot tougher to wall than Talonflame...Unfortunately this makes it some serious Aegislash bait, though it hasn't given me too much trouble in general since I run Rotom-H often.

Spade for spade though, Staraptor is amazing...and so hard to find, it's actually got me debating whether I want to share the Starly I hatched with the world, lol

I'm liking your spread farranpoison, I've been using it to some success today even though I didn't play a lot. King's Shield seems to work out really well, especially against Talonflame. It didn't lower Attack against an Earthquake though, so I guess it only works on contact moves? Still really good, so I'm pretty happy with it, been using Aegislash more. I'm running Spooky Plate, but maybe Air Balloon is worth it; I am fond of baiting an EQ into a free Talonflame switch, though.

I've been using Adamant Talonflame as well, but I'm not sure if it can be re-purposed into something that will last well against Stall / Tank teams outside of a Bulk Up set. I've just been avoiding using Talonflame against defensive teams since it's priority is generally not as good in those situations and it does more damage to itself than the other team more often than not. Gourgeist is a Pokemon I've noticed on tankier teams that gives my Mega-Kanga a lot of trouble -- so much so that I've stopped running it if the opponents line-up has one. I've considered using Crunch > Sucker Punch (I run Return / Power-up Punch / Sucker Punch / Earthquake) but the priority is very useful, especially if the opponent lets me get a free Power-up Punch. I just figure it's better to try and win with my other mons, although leech seed / WoW is a bitch to deal with.

I've also enjoyed one person who lost to my Liepard-inspired Klefki call me a man without dignity and tell me "Klefki is for weenies," lol. I'm very much enjoying this meta. Can't seem to get into the 1900s though, just hovering around the 1800 mark. I'll breed my team onto my cart after Pokebank I think; I don't really have enough time to breed and play enough to make it worth it before the meta shakes up (I assume that all Pokemon will be allowed post-bank opening, anyway).

I'm liking your spread farranpoison, I've been using it to some success today even though I didn't play a lot. King's Shield seems to work out really well, especially against Talonflame. It didn't lower Attack against an Earthquake though, so I guess it only works on contact moves? Still really good, so I'm pretty happy with it, been using Aegislash more. I'm running Spooky Plate, but maybe Air Balloon is worth it; I am fond of baiting an EQ into a free Talonflame switch, though.

I've been using Adamant Talonflame as well, but I'm not sure if it can be re-purposed into something that will last well against Stall / Tank teams outside of a Bulk Up set. I've just been avoiding using Talonflame against defensive teams since it's priority is generally not as good in those situations and it does more damage to itself than the other team more often than not. Gourgeist is a Pokemon I've noticed on tankier teams that gives my Mega-Kanga a lot of trouble -- so much so that I've stopped running it if the opponents line-up has one. I've considered using Crunch > Sucker Punch (I run Return / Power-up Punch / Sucker Punch / Earthquake) but the priority is very useful, especially if the opponent lets me get a free Power-up Punch. I just figure it's better to try and win with my other mons, although leech seed / WoW is a bitch to deal with.

I've also enjoyed one person who lost to my Liepard-inspired Klefki call me a man without dignity and tell me "Klefki is for weenies," lol. I'm very much enjoying this meta. Can't seem to get into the 1900s though, just hovering around the 1800 mark. I'll breed my team onto my cart after Pokebank I think; I don't really have enough time to breed and play enough to make it worth it before the meta shakes up (I assume that all Pokemon will be allowed post-bank opening, anyway).
I'm glad you like the spread. King's shield does not work against non-contact moves like EQ, so yeah. I did have some fun against an enemy Talonflame locked into BB with King's Shield with me at around 15% health. The -2 allowed me to survive and kill with Shadow Ball.

I am amazed you're going so high, though. I myself have yet to stay in the 1600s, though part of it is my seemingly horrible connection. That, and I suck at predicting opponents, lol.

Also, you use Klefki? I shake my fist at you, sir. Those things have been the bane of me for a while, so I eventually got myself a Magic Bounce Espeon to deal the with the menace. I remember fighting a team with Klefki, Rotom-W, and some other mon. Klefki tried to Thunder Wave my Aegislash but I switched Espeon in. He tried to get his offensive mon out, but I defeated it, and left with a Paralyzed Klefki, he sent out Rotom-W only to meet my Gastrodon, who Toxic'd it and proceeded to Recover until the guy forfeited. It was sweet, sweet revenge.

Edit: also, how did the guy you beat message you? Is there a chat system ingame?

I'm only at the 1500s in cart, I just used in-game Pokemon I hadn't bred for that haha -- sorry, I thought I had mentioned in my first post I was laddering on the sim (i just started playing 6th gen the other day haha, so i was trying everything out on the sim). I'm still finalizing a team before I breed one to try and get super high in game. I've hardly played in game actually, mostly because I feel like I'll get smashed without a proper bred team. My fault for being vague about it.

I'm probably going to end up dropping Klefki for the in-game team (which I have two mons of so far, started breeding / EVing last night so I can actually be legit lol), I wanna use Gourgeist after the smack I got from them, just need to find a super one.

I made an account just to say this about wifi right now. I feel like this shouldn't work ... but does.

Lapras @ Grip Claw
Water Absorb
defense + nature
252HP/252Def/4SpD
Whirlpool
Perish Song
Protect
Rest

I see SO many stall teams, and lots of bulky rocky helmet users/evolite pink blobs, and this lapras ruins them. I run it in a team with Abomasnow, Weavile, Talonflame (darn you, blazeiken), Kangaskhan, and a rotom a switch between grass, fire, and water depedning on what i'm seeing alot of.

It works so well because peopel see my kanga and almost ALWAYS break out the bulky walls to stop it.

I made an account just to say this about wifi right now. I feel like this shouldn't work ... but does.

Lapras @ Grip Claw
Water Absorb
defense + nature
252HP/252Def/4SpD
Whirlpool
Perish Song
Protect
Rest

I see SO many stall teams, and lots of bulky rocky helmet users/evolite pink blobs, and this lapras ruins them. I run it in a team with Abomasnow, Weavile, Talonflame (darn you, blazeiken), Kangaskhan, and a rotom a switch between grass, fire, and water depedning on what i'm seeing alot of.

It works so well because peopel see my kanga and almost ALWAYS break out the bulky walls to stop it.
Excuse me for fanboying, but I really like this set and will try it out myself.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Stuff

-Rotom-W is god, but you already knew that
-CM Reuniclus is pretty clutch if it doesn't get haxed
-Sitrus Berry + 4 attacks Azumarill owns, nothing else needs to be said
-Mega Aggron with SpD investment is pretty cool, it's good against non-fire / non-ground types. I sometimes don't mega evolve it because Sturdy is useful in a pinch
-Blaziken is alright. It should be amazing on paper, but i've missed most of my Stone Edges, and my patience is wearing thin
-Sitrus berry Azumarill and Mega Venusaur are freaking awesome
-Obligatory fuck Talonflame

BTW, how on earth do I deal with Goodra and Garchomp?!?

CoolStoryBrobat

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Stuff

-Rotom-W is god, but you already knew that
-CM Reuniclus is pretty clutch if it doesn't get haxed
-Sitrus Berry + 4 attacks Azumarill owns, nothing else needs to be said
-Mega Aggron with SpD investment is pretty cool, it's good against non-fire / non-ground types. I sometimes don't mega evolve it because Sturdy is useful in a pinch
-Blaziken is alright. It should be amazing on paper, but i've missed most of my Stone Edges, and my patience is wearing thin
-Sitrus berry Azumarill and Mega Venusaur are freaking awesome
-Obligatory fuck Talonflame

I haven't tried Sitrus Azumarill, I run Splash Plate + 4 attacks myself and it's been doing work. Garchomp, I usually keep a bulky water like Slowbro at hand but I would also recommend something like Gliscor or Sableye. I haven't faced down a Goodra but once, and I had a boosted Dragonite in on it...so probably a hard hitting physical Dragon or Ice type like Dragonite, Garchomp, Weavile, or Mamoswine probably can work.

Also what's the set and spread on your Reuniclus?

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I haven't tried Sitrus Azumarill, I run Splash Plate + 4 attacks myself and it's been doing work. Garchomp, I usually keep a bulky water like Slowbro at hand but I would also recommend something like Gliscor or Sableye. I haven't faced down a Goodra but once, and I had a boosted Dragonite in on it...so probably a hard hitting physical Dragon or Ice type like Dragonite, Garchomp, Weavile, or Mamoswine probably can work.

Also what's the set and spread on your Reuniclus?
Yeah I guess Slowbro would be a solid check, and i've been told that a Togekiss would work too. My issue with Goodra is that sometimes it runs Thunderbolt so I can't use Azumarill to check it. I guess i'll have to get my own Dragon-type to deal with it I suppose. I'm using 252hp/252def CM Reuniclus (Calm Mind / Psychic / Focus Blast / Recover). It works great until it gets haxed, haha.

BTw, Scarf Chomp any good? It looks great on paper.

Yeah I guess Slowbro would be a solid check, and i've been told that a Togekiss would work too. My issue with Goodra is that sometimes it runs Thunderbolt so I can't use Azumarill to check it. I guess i'll have to get my own Dragon-type to deal with it I suppose. I'm using 252hp/252def CM Reuniclus (Calm Mind / Psychic / Focus Blast / Recover). It works great until it gets haxed, haha.

Goodra is owned by any strong physical attack. Problem is, some are running Specs, which really hurts any physical attacker switching in with decent SpD. Assault Vest users are easier to check.

I personally have dealt with Goodras with my Gastrodon/Talonflame/Max SpD Sableye, but those sometimes don't go in my favor. If they're running specs I often have to sacrifice a mon, which is ok if I'm running MBanette (haven't been in a while though).

Also, for ScarfChomp, I've generally been avoiding running Scarf on mons because of locking you into one move, but Garchomp could pull it off. Still gets owned by Talonflame, though.

Shrug

is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Championis a Past SCL Champion
LCPL Champion
PK Ga said:
Using Togekiss works too, forces Chomp to Stone Edge and Goodra to use some kind of coverage, and Choice versions of either often get locked in to something Kiss is immune to / resists. Also Rotom-W but Rotom-W should be on every team that's not a question

I feel like I'm running mons no one else is using. Everyone and their mother is using Rotom-W, MVenusaur, MKanga, Megazard, Togekiss...

And here I am happy with using Sableye, Gastrodon, Espeon...

CoolStoryBrobat

I'm also tempted to try Weavile in this meta. Has anybody seen/used it yet? I was thinking of a set like

Weavile @ Life Orb
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard
- Swords Dance/Power-Up Punch(?)/Pursuit

I was thinking that with the "nerf" to Steel-types the only Steel-types who resist its STABs are Lucario, Bisharp, and Cobalion (PokeBank), making it a bit easier for Weavile to sweep, but more importantly allowing it to run both Icicle Crash/Ice Punch + Ice Shard on the same set, since Low Kick's coverage is no longer as useful. Though you could run Power-Up Punch if you still want Fighting coverage, but setting up with either can be a bit difficult, especially since Power-Up Punch won't kill anything even 4x weak to it, such as the aforementioned Bisharp in one hit at +0. Pursuit's useful for trapping something (Say you lead off with Weavile and they try going to their Fairy or whatever). I feel this set's got some potential, though Weavile's frailty can be a huge letdown in a number of cases.

On the plus side, once Pokemon Bank comes out at least you can run Knock Off, since it'll technically be way stronger than Night Slash. Or you could take advantage and run some gimmicky Focus Sash + Counter lead set to troll people early for hilarious kills.

Any thoughts on this guy?

I'm also tempted to try Weavile in this meta. Has anybody seen/used it yet? I was thinking of a set like

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard

I was thinking that with the "nerf" to Steel-types the only Steel-types who resist its STABs are Lucario, Bisharp, and Cobalion (PokeBank), making it a bit easier for Weavile to sweep, but more importantly allowing it to run both Icicle Crash/Ice Punch + Ice Shard on the same set, since Low Kick's coverage is no longer as useful. Though you could run Power-Up Punch if you still want Fighting coverage, but setting up with either can be a bit difficult, especially since Power-Up Punch won't kill anything even 4x weak to it, such as the aforementioned Bisharp in one hit at +0. Pursuit's useful for trapping something (Say you lead off with Weavile and they try going to their Fairy or whatever). I feel this set's got some potential, though Weavile's frailty can be a huge letdown in a number of cases.

On the plus side, once Pokemon Bank comes out at least you can run Knock Off, since it'll technically be way stronger than Night Slash. Or you could take advantage and run some gimmicky Focus Sash + Counter lead set to troll people early for hilarious kills.

IMO, if you're using him in a 3v3 metagame, you'd be better running Swords Dance and Focus Sash. Send it out as a lead, and if you have a favorable matchup, SD first turn and then proceed to deal a shitton of damage. If they didn't do anything to you first turn (like maybe a SD of their own or DD or whatever) you can save the Focus Sash for another mon, and now you're at +2.

My opinion, however.

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion

The following is based on my experiences with the ladder between 1750 and 1900. (I currently sit somewhere around 1875.)

I've been using Scarf Garchomp since I started playing. For some reason Jabba doesn't seem to like it, but it has never let me down. You really have to play it carefully: you can't go around spamming Dragon attacks before doing a little reconnaissance. If you use Scarf Garchomp, you really need something on your team that can take on Rotom-W. farranpoison mentioned Togekiss, but it has never really been a problem for me. People generally use Max HP without investing in Defense, so you can 2HKO with Stone Edge before Togekiss can 2HKO you. Of course, you will also have issues with more defensive stuff like Slowbro, Tangrowth, and Cloyster which will be more common after ~1800 or so. If you run something with Taunt to handle the defensive side of things, you should generally be fine. I use Taunt/Toxic/Foul Play/Roost Overcoat Rocky Helmet Mandibuzz, for example.

With regard to your first point, I too struggle a bit against special Dragons (Kingdra, Goodra). I'm still trying to work out a way to handle them without having to lock myself into a Dragon move with Garchomp. If you rely on Scarf Chomp to check these, just make sure you have something that can check Belly Drum Azumarill and Mawile.

JabbaTheGriffin

Stormblessed
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard

As far as Weavile goes, I've had a ton of success with Sash. He does get a few chances to set up SD if that's the route you want to go, but I find just a generic 4 attack Sasher to be his best set. He outspeeds a ton of the metagame and Icicle Crash is great for last resort flinching. I like Brick Break mainly so you're not completely Luke setup bait and that you can outspeed and 2hko Greninja (having to attack him for resisted damage on the first turn is going to make you fall short iirc). I'd definitely recommend giving it a spin and seeing what you like best though. He's definitely a strongmon.

The following is based on my experiences with the ladder between 1750 and 1900. (I currently sit somewhere around 1875.)

I've been using Scarf Garchomp since I started playing. For some reason Jabba doesn't seem to like it, but it has never let me down. You really have to play it carefully: you can't go around spamming Dragon attacks before doing a little reconnaissance. If you use Scarf Garchomp, you really need something on your team that can take on Rotom-W. farranpoison mentioned Togekiss, but it has never really been a problem for me. People generally use Max HP without investing in Defense, so you can 2HKO with Stone Edge before Togekiss can 2HKO you. Of course, you will also have issues with more defensive stuff like Slowbro, Tangrowth, and Cloyster which will be more common after ~1800 or so. If you run something with Taunt to handle the defensive side of things, you should generally be fine. I use Taunt/Toxic/Foul Play/Roost Overcoat Rocky Helmet Mandibuzz, for example.

With regard to your first point, I too struggle a bit against special Dragons (Kingdra, Goodra). I'm still trying to work out a way to handle them without having to lock myself into a Dragon move with Garchomp. If you rely on Scarf Chomp to check these, just make sure you have something that can check Belly Drum Azumarill and Mawile.
I really hate the idea of ever having to lock myself into attacks that have immunities in such a fast paced metagame. Garchomp's main STABs are both bad on that count. Garchomp is better than most in that it can usually come back in against the things that get a free set up on it and revenge them, but I find SD chomp so much better that I feel using him as a Scarfer is wasting him.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Crash/Ice Punch
- Night Slash
- Ice Shard

I run my weavile Naughty (was too lazy to get adamant) with 252 atk and 252 Spe.
Life Orb
Icicle Crash
Feint Attack
Poison Jab
Taunt

Yes, the lack of a speed nature means he can't up and sweep with so many priority threats and speed demons running around, but I use him for shutting down alot of setup leads and slightly slower bulky mons weak to ice or Dark. He's especially great against the VERY popular drifblim minimize stuff I see, and I've OHKO with surpirse attack nature icicle crash pretty often.

Taking a dump on Adamant garchomp (without a scarf) is pretty nice too, but pretty uncommon.

EDIT: Sash + SD is something I wish I thought of. Derp. Running SD + taunt with a sash is probbaly better than Poison Jab, which i pretty much never end up using. And I can switch to Jolly.

Last edited:
Weakness Policy Special Aegislash too good! Caused some disconnects due to +2 Shadow Ball/Shadow Sneak.

I feel like now I should be running 252 Def Bold Sableye instead of 252 SpD Calm, if I don't have Sableye as a lead and switch him into a physical attacker he takes more damage than necessary. And now that I have Goodra to soak up Special Attacks, Sableye doesn't need to. But that means breeding a whole new one...

Running Aegislash/Sableye/Goodra/MBlaziken/Gastrodon/Talonflame right now, which seems like a decent lineup but sometimes I feel that it could be better. I want to work on getting in a Rotom-H or C in there somewhere, but I don't know who to replace. And I really need to work on predictions better, half the matches I have I could have won if I predicted that Water attack to switch into Gastrodon, that Ground attack to switch into Talonflame, etc.

Im currently 10-3 with a team based arround Baton Pass Drifblim (Minimize + Stockpile) and Mega-Khan.

Edit: 20-5 currently.

Last edited:
252 HP 252 def impish Avalugg making opposing Garchomps, Talonflames and most physical stuff (bar Mega Mawile and Mega Medicham) cry.

Some guy insisted in flare-blitzing my avalugg with his LO Talonflame, only to take about 45~50% recoil damage from Rocky Helmet, Flare Blitz and Life-Orb.
It would take 3 hits to KO Avalugg, but then I recover'd.

CoolStoryBrobat

Wow, you got me wanting to raise an Avalugg...Would you run Rapid Spin on Avalugg in this meta? Or is it better to put Rock Slide or something? I know you get awesome coverage between Avalanche and Earthquake though...and what's a good special tank to pair with this guy?

Stellar

of the Distant Past
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Wow, you got me wanting to raise an Avalugg...Would you run Rapid Spin on Avalugg in this meta? Or is it better to put Rock Slide or something? I know you get awesome coverage between Avalanche and Earthquake though...and what's a good special tank to pair with this guy?
I believe Sturdy + Mirror Coat is a popular combo. You could also try running Toxic or Curse (probably the former). Rapid Spin isn't worth it in this format unless you are using Focus Sash Pokémon or Charizard/Talonflame frequently.

A good special wall to pair up with avalugg? Goodra, definitely. Works on both Special Singles and Singles Battle Spot metagame.

Mine is relaxed (She was my first fully raised pokémon and I bred her with 0 IV speed, thinking about including her in a potential trick room team)

I use her as a defensive pivot, often sacrificing her against sweepers for my M-Kanga or Greninja/Rotom to revenge kill.
She wins me almost every physical war.
Nearly useless against ferrothorn, though. I can only spam earthquake against it.

Avalugg (female)
31/31/31/xx/31/0
252hp/252def, sturdy
@ Rocky Helmet

~avalanche
~earthquake
~recover
~mirror coat.

I am thinking in swapping Mirror Coat with toxic now I'm battling 1650+ rated battles, but sturdy mirror coat still works and surprises.

Last edited:
Sigh...

So I was using this Reuniclus:

Reuniclus
Item: Light Clay
Ability: Magic Guard
31/x/31/31/31/x
Reflect
Shadow Ball
Focus Blast
Psyshock

Let me tell you, 8 turns is an eternity in 3 vs 3.

So I swept a Talonflame, Aegislash and Ferrothorn with only Reuniclus and the opponent disconnects right as I win. How do people still continue to battle after pretty much getting a win nullified?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)