Favorite Attack Animation

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Stone Edge's animation. Even if it isn't really fancy or elaborate, the way the stones just suddenly pop up underneath looks way more appropriately painful than its previous animations.

I'm disappointed with the backgrounds in this game. They all look incredibly generic.

Though obviously it's a step up from the previous games on handheld which had no backgrounds at all.

I'm disappointed with the backgrounds in this game. They all look incredibly generic.

Though obviously it's a step up from the previous games on handheld which had no backgrounds at all.
So far the only background that's really disappointed me is the tiled floor and blank black or white wall combo used for most battles in buildings or gyms (excepting the gym leader battle). It just looks awful, not to mention it doesn't look anything like the gyms where it's used. Other than that, I think the battle backgrounds are pretty good. I especially like the alleyway background when battling in Lumiose City.

So far the only background that's really disappointed me is the tiled floor and blank black or white wall combo used for most battles in buildings or gyms (excepting the gym leader battle). It just looks awful, not to mention it doesn't look anything like the gyms where it's used. Other than that, I think the battle backgrounds are pretty good. I especially like the alleyway background when battling in Lumiose City.
The alleyway background is my favorite, too. If only they let us choose a background during wifi battles! You'd think they would offer at least a little bit of background customization considering they let you choose your battle music. Maybe in the sequel(s)?

Besides the obvious awesome moves already mentioned like Retaliate and Calm Mind I actually have a soft spot for (wait for it)...

Tail Whip.

I actually want to go and use it for every Pokemon that can use it just cause it's such a neat detail how they turn around and wag their tail lol

Calm Mind, Retaliate, Dragon Pulse, and Draco Meteor are all standouts, as already said. Play Rough is pretty hilarious, it's a happy Close Combat that's nearly as deadly.

I think Charge is pretty cool as well. It makes an intense sound now and matches up perfectly with Helioptile and Heliolisk's animations.

Most of the good ones have already been said, but:

Brave Bird reminds me of God Phoenix Firebird attack from Gatchaman/G-Force/Battle of the Planets/This Show Had Too Many Names. It's appropriately grand for the strongest Flying attack.

Power Whip is great, too. You get this neat letterbox border, the background turns green, and you see your 'mon in silhouette get smacked by a bunch of vines that fly at you from off-screen. The Lickitung in Victory Road use it if you wanna see it.

Play Rough reminds me of Akuma's "Shun Goku Satsu" from Street Fighter, but... sweeter.

I can imagine Dedenne doing this and the kanji for "sunflower seed" popping up as he stands over the crumpled heap that used to be his opponent.

If anyone wants to see Head Charge used by Bouffalant, watch this video: EBDW-WWWW-WWW3-WAPK
I was about to talk about Head Charge, this move has an amazing animation, you don't want to be the target of that attack !

I'd also like a give an honorable mention to Waterfall, I like how the pokemon just jump out of the water, particularly when it's Wailord :D.

Calm Mind wow'd me pretty hard when I saw Gardevoir use it the first time. I was all like: *0*

On a side note, bringing back old sound FX like they used for Psychic, Psybeam, and Hyper Bream is pretty friggin' cool.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
Volt Switch conveys a deceptive amount of power in the animation. It's only 70 BP, but the way the camera moves to follow the electric discs is so cool

blitzlefan

shake it off!
I think the Close Combat and Brave Bird animations look amazing. They convey so much power and the attack for Close Combat animation is so streamlined and their HP bar seems to go down while you attack. It's great!
Retaliation is a bit overhyped imo - it wasn't as spectacular as many say it is, and I really hate Seismic Toss. Brick Break never fails to disappoint as well. ;_;

One that I don't think I've seen anyone mention is Electro Ball. For being such a generally bad move its animation looks incredible.

Other favorites include the obvious Calm Mind, Retaliate, Shadow Sneak, Dragon Pulse, and of course Brave Bird.

As for an animation I don't like, Outrage is kind of underwhelming, to be honest. Though to be fair, it must be hard to top this:

Stone RG

Megas are broke
Calm Mind was like WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW, favorite by far, wait i forgot like... yeah 10 more. Draco Meteor, Close Combat, Brave Bird, Shadow Sneak, Fly, and with those who (i think) are not generic ones would be Volt Switch, U Turn, Stone Edge, honarable mentions to Greninja making it seem like his saying Water Style: Water Dragon Jutsu! every time hes using a water attack, and Blastoise for completely disregardin all the #armcannons shit.

Oh by far my favourites are Aura Sphere because I love the colour combinations and the attack looks really powerful, especially Lucario's pose when he uses it. I also like Brave Bird as it looks so cool and aggressive aswell as elegant at the same time with the souring, flaming bird shooting across the screen. Retaliate is good aswell, the way the pokemon stop in a freeze frame. But my favourite of all is Shadow Sneak. It's so cool how it zigzags flat along the floor then looms over the opposition without them noticing then strikes multiple times. It is just great!

Brave Bird, because . . . well, everybody else pretty much summed it up, but I'm in love with Draco Meteor. It's so cool how the camera kinda tilts up to show these giant flaming rocks coming to get ya!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)