CAP 17 CAP 6 - Part 13 - Pokedex Submissions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Here we are at the final stage of Cawmodore; welcome to Pokedex submissions! In this thread you may post your entries for critique and eventually submit them for the poll. Please read the following rules before doing so!:

Legal Pokedex submissions must meet the following standards
  • Pokedex Entries must have flawless grammar. Smogon has a Grammar & Prose team that will help identify mistakes.
  • Pokedex Entries cannot be longer than 25 words.
  • Pokedex Entries can only contain the following characters:
    • Letters A-Z
    • Numbers 1-9
    • Dash (-)
    • Apostrophe (')
    • Period (.)
    • Comma (,)
    • Colon (:)
    • Semi-colon (;)
    • Space

Work In Progress (WIP) Pokedex Entries can be posted at any time for comments from the community.

No more than three WIP Pokedex Entries can be posted by any individual person through the entire course of the submission thread. This limit applies to ALL posts made by a single person, even if previous posts are edited or deleted. This limit is intended to curb the tendency for some submitters to spam the thread repeatedly with multiple Pokedex Entries. This detracts from other submissions and makes it difficult for commenters to survey the submission thread.

Do not bump your WIP Pokedex Entries by posting them repeatedly, or making minor wording changes. Bumping will result in the disqualification of all Pokedex Entries by the offender. Editing or deleting bump posts will not prevent disqualification.

Only ONE Final Submission can be made per person.

Pokedex Entry Final Submissions can only be posted after a CAP Moderator posts in the thread that final submissions are open. Any final submission posted prior to the Moderator notification post, will disqualify the submitter from the poll entirely. Even if the offending post is edited later or deleted, the submitter will still be disqualified for the remainder of the thread. This ensures that all submitters have equal opportunity to post final submissions without anyone unfairly "jumping the gun".

Pokedex entries Final Submissions must posted exactly in the following format and in the following exact order:
  • The first line of the post must have the words "Final Submission" in bold on it's own line. No other text may be included before the bold heading.
  • A blank line
  • "<Pokemon Name>, the <Species Name> Pokemon", with the Pokemon name and the Species Name in bold
  • A blank line
  • The Black Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the word "Black" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The White Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the word "White" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
  • A blank line
  • The Black 2 & White 2 Pokedex Entry submission. Start with the word "BW2" in bold, then a colon (:), and then the Pokedex entry.
Below the Final Submission you can post other comments, explanations, etc.

Example final submission:

Final Submission

Victini, the Victory Pokémon

Black: This Pokémon brings victory. It is said that Trainers with Victini always win, regardless of the type of encounter.

White: It creates an unlimited supply of energy inside its body, which it shares with those who touch it.

BW2: When it shares the infinite energy it creates, that being's entire body will be overflowing with power.
Any Final Submission that does not follow the proper format will be disqualified.

----

CAP6 thus far:

Name: Cawmodore

Name: Show Me Your Moves!

General Description: A good user of moves with effects not frequently used in the OU metagame.

Justification: There are many moves in Pokémon with great effects, but they often end up unused. Moves such as Gravity, Snatch, and Safeguard have potential in OU, but they are neglected for several reasons: the moves are apparently overshadowed, have poor distribution, or are inefficient compared to another strategy. This CAP uses a combination of typing, ability, and stats to make these underused moves not only feasible, but also capable.

Questions To Be Answered:
  • What mechanics of Pokémon determine how viable moves are?--not only the Pokémon's typing, stats, and ability, but also its interaction with playstyles and momentum.
  • What new strategies might emerge by giving a new OU Pokémon underused moves?
  • What challenges do Pokémon that use lesser-used moves face compared to ones that use a more standard moveset?
  • If the Pokémon has options of staple OU moves (high-powered STABs, offensive stat-boosting moves, reliable recovery, Substitute), will those moves be useful to it, even if it's specialized toward a separate and distinct strategy?
  • Can underused moves increase other underused moves' viabilities?
  • Can one user of a strategy unrecognized in a metagame massively influence a pre-existing playstyle?
Typing: Steel / Flying
Abilities: Intimidate / Volt Absorb / Big Pecks
Stats: 50 HP / 92 Atk / 130 Def / 65 SpA / 75 SpD / 118 Spe
Movepool:
0. Leer
0. Peck
5. Growl
9. Swift
13. Metal Claw
18. Screech
22. Wing Attack
26. Detect
31. Steel Wing
35. Belly Drum
39. Bullet Punch
44. Brine
48. Tailwind
52. Flash Cannon
58. Hurricane
Air Slash - Braviary, Crobat, Farfetch’d, Mandibuzz, Noctowl, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Sigilyph, Skarmory, Swanna, Swellow, Swoobat, Togekiss, Unfezant
Drill Peck - Dodrio, Fearow, Honchkrow, Skarmory, Xatu
Metal Sound - Skarmory
Mirror Move - Altaria, Chatot, Dodrio, Farfetch’d, Fearow, Honchkrow, Mandibuzz, Noctowl, Pidgeot, Sigilyph, Swanna, Swellow, Togekiss
Pursuit - Aerodactyl, Altaria, Crobat, Dodrio, Fearow, Honchkrow, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Skarmory, Staraptor, Swellow
Quick Attack - Archeops, Crobat, Dodrio, Farfetch’d, Fearow, Honchkrow, Pelipper, Pidgeot, Staraptor, Swellow, Unfezant, Xatu
Quick Guard - Archeops
Razor Wind - Fearow, Unfezant
Water Sport - Pelipper, Swanna
Legal Move Combinations:
Air Slash + Drill Peck + Metal Sound + Pursuit (Skarmory)
Air Slash + Pursuit + Quick Attack + Water Sport (Pelipper)
Air Slash + Quick Attack + Razor Wind (Unfezant)
Air Slash + Mirror Move + Quick Attack (Farfetch’d)
Drill Peck + Mirror Move + Pursuit + Quick Attack + Razor Wind (Fearow)
Mirror Move + Water Sport (Swanna)
Quick Attack + Quick Guard (Archeops)

Illegal Move Combinations:
Air Slash + Quick Guard
Drill Peck + Quick Guard + Water Sport
Metal Sound + Mirror Move + Quick Guard
Metal Sound + Quick Guard + Razor Wind
Metal Sound + Quick Attack
Metal Sound + Water Sport
Pursuit + Quick Guard
Razor Wind + Quick Guard + Water Sport

Note: There aren't any notable Egg move illegalities, mostly because there aren't many notable Egg moves.
TM06 - Toxic
TM10 - Hidden Power
TM15 - Hyper Beam
TM17 - Protect
TM18 - Rain Dance
TM21 - Frustration
TM23 - Smack Down
TM27 - Return
TM31 - Brick Break
TM32 - Double Team
TM40 - Aerial Ace
TM42 - Facade
TM44 - Rest
TM45 - Attract
TM48 - Round
TM58 - Sky Drop
TM62 - Acrobatics
TM67 - Retaliate
TM68 - Giga Impact
TM77 - Psych Up
TM87 - Swagger
TM88 - Pluck
TM90 - Substitute
TM91 - Flash Cannon
TM94 - Rock Smash
HM02 - Fly
HM03 - Surf
HM04 - Strength
Block
Drain Punch
Endeavor
Iron Head
Knock Off
Sky Attack
Sleep Talk
Snatch
Snore
Tailwind
Height: 1.7 m (5' 07")
Weight: 37.0 kg (81.6 lbs)

Cawmodore, the Frigate Bird Pokemon.

B: It beats its chest to frighten enemies and increase its own morale. The sound can be heard in regions across the sea.

W: It can Fly through any electrical storm. Its navigational ability is unmatched by even the most experienced sea captain.

BW2: Its large, sturdy wings and torso are useful when defending the nest against its archrival, Arghonaut. Nothing can penetrate its broad chest.

[not my final submission]

The first dex entry alludes to Big Pecks and also brings some lore into the entry, as dex entries are prone to do. I envision Cawmodore and Arghonaut having a Zangoose/Seviper type relationship, except on the sea. For this reason, Cawmodore is the Captain pokemon to mirror Arghonaut's pirate design.

The second entry gives some back story behind Volt Absorb. This is important, flavorwise, because Volt Absorb may seem out of place to some on an Steel/Flying captain-looking pokemon. By showing that it uses Volt Absorb to fly through any storm, it brings some validity to having Volt Absorb as its second ability. Real Dex entries also capitalize moves used, as I did with Fly.

Finally, the last entry alludes to both Belly Drum and Intimidate. The second sentence serves to exaggerate the extent of Cawmodore's fearsomeness, as dex entries often do.

Last edited:

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Not a final submission, of course:

Cawmodore
, the Frigate Bird Pokémon

Black: It protects its young by covering them with its wings. Its feathers are thick enough to deflect cannonballs.

White: The dense iron on its beak serves as diving ballast and provides torque to its pecking attacks.

BW2: These Pokémon stalwartly watch over shores and harbors from the sky, diving headfirst at any intruders.

Hmm, there isn't much connection between the three entries, as much as I wanted there to be, but the entries still opt for a mingling of behavioral, physical, and allusory descriptions. The Black entry references the frigate bird's broad wings and Cawmodore's strong physical defense alongside its behavior with its young, the White entry focuses on the distinctive anchor-like beak in seafaring and attacking, and the B2/W2 entry mingles the behavioral and physical aspects of Cawmodore by making the commodore aspect of the pokemon more explicit, although I portray Cawmodore as less guarding and more offensive in that specific entry.

I look forward to the flavor in entries other submitters post. :)

Oglemi

Borf
is a Forum Moderatoris a Top Contributoris a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnus
Cawmodore, the Privateer Pokemon.

B: This swashbuckling Pokemon is said to be a harbinger of fair weather and good fortune to those that spot it out at sea.

W: A once-common sighting on nearly every sailing vessel, used for their keen eyesight and impeccable sense of direction.

BW2: It's surprisingly adept at hand-to-hand combat on the ground, thanks to its armor plating and fist-like wings.

Nyktos

Custom Loser Title
WIP

Cawmodore, the Ironclad Pokémon

Black: When food is short, Cawmodore steals from other bird Pokémon. It strikes fear into its target with its sharp talons and impressive throat pouch.

White: Cawmodore can stay in the air for weeks at a time. It travels through even the fiercest storms without fear.

BW2: It is believed that Cawmodore travelled from a distant island to the Unova region. It flew for thousands of miles without stopping.

An ironclad is a kind of armoured frigate. I tried to use it in my name submission before but it works just as well here. My entries are mostly based on real frigatebird facts with typical Pokédex exaggeration; you may notice references to both main abilities in there too. Right now I don't really like how my White and BW2 entries tread similar ground but my Black one is totally different, so I'll probably change stuff. :/

Beh, I wrote this without looking at anyone else's but it seems like darkie came up with the same idea for Volt Absorb, oh well.

Last edited:
Still a WIP

Cawmodore, the Man-o-War Pokémon

Black: Cawmodore's large, powerful chest muscles make it adept at both flying and swimming. It can travel the breadth of oceans without rest.

White: With hardened feathers on its wing-tips that feel like iron, Cawmodore can shatter boulders with impunity. It screeches to frighten would-be predators.

BW2: Cawmodore is regarded as a good luck charm for sailors around the world. It is often seen guiding wayward ships to shore.

Before writing some of these entries I decided to give some existing Pokédex entries a quick read. Main point I decided to note here was, well, it's a big strong admiral avian. So for the Black dex entry, I just made reference to the strength of the seafaring bird, because hey, it learns Surf too. So it's probably a good swimmer. (That and the whole, you know, being a seabird thing). I also gave a little reference to Big Pecks as the hidden ability, mentioning its large chest muscles. He don't even work out.
For the White entry, it's basic enough. Shattering boulders is a mark of strength in the Pokémon world, from most dex entries I've read. Also wanted to reference its Steel typing a bit. Didn't want to get too technical and mention keratin though. Not everyone is a biologist, heh. Also, I decided to give a quick nod towards Intimidate. Screeching seabirds is not a nice thing, and because it learns Screech it fits nicely.
For the BW2 entry, I decided to steer away from "hoo-agh look at this manly man Pokémon" and decided to give it a function of sorts in the world. Cawmodore strikes me as a honourable and righteous Pokémon, helping lost sailors and all that. Also, just like people do with animals in the real world, people could see it as a good luck charm when at sea.

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
WIP

Cawmodore, the Naval Pokémon

Black: Cawmodore parry attacks using their protective armor and robust chest muscles. They then retaliate with strong punches.

White: After a shipwreck, Cawmodore bury fallen sailors at sea as a final sign of respect.

BW2: Excellent navigators, Cawmodore make it easy for even the most inexperienced mariner to sail on through heavy storms.

The Black and White entries are references to two very famous commodores with some clever homophones. Meanwhile, the BW2 references some classic Motown hits.

WIP
Cawmodore, the Frigate Bird Pokemon

Black: It can fly for days without the need to land. If it flies through a storm, its energy is replenished.

White: With it's fighting prowess inherited from it's hefty beak and hand-like wings, Cawmodore never backs down from a challenge.

BW2: Upon noticing a threat, it puffs up its chest and pounds it in an attempt to intimidate its foe. It performs the same ritual to attract a mate.

I wrote this a while ago, and am surprised how similar it is to some of the others around here. If anyone has a suggestion or criticism, I would be happy to improve my submission. The Black entry is mostly related to the lack of Roost and an attempt to get something out of Volt Absorb. The White entry ties in the brawny nature of sailors/Cawmodore to the fact that once you set up Belly Drum, you are probably not going to want to switch out (never backs down) The BW2 entry references how the Frigate Bird inflates its gular sac to attract a mate. I added in the part about noticing a threat and pounding it to tie in our use of Belly Drum and Intimidate.

Last edited:

Blue Frog

It's lucidity. So clear!
is a Top Artist Alumnus
WIP

Cawmodore, the Nautical Pokémon

Black: Cawmodore can navigate through any type of weather condition. It makes for a popular companion among seafarers.

White: It intimidates its foes by puffing out its chest and beating it like a drum. It can inflate its size by up to seven times.

BW2: It is believed that explorers first discovered the Unova region after being guided there by flocks of Cawmodore.

Last edited:
WIP

Cawmodore
, the Commander Pokémon

Black: It's sturdy armour-like feathers protects it from harsh weather. They can often be seen soaring through the harshest storms.

White: Cawmodore pounds on its solid chest as a warning to other Pokémon. It's punches are as fast as bullets.

BW2: It is used on ships due to it's watchful eye and sense of danger where it leads it's comrades through even the worst weather.

I chose the Commander Pokémon because it sounds very important and powerful and also fits with the navy theme. Well the first entry references the defense stat, armour like feathers, the steel typing, which is not affected by all weathers except hail, volt absorb, due to being able to fly through harsh storms, and also the flying type. The white entry shows its offensive capabilities in that it pounds on its solid chest, which shows Big Pecks and Belly Drum. It also shows intimidate as it is a warning to others. Bullet punch is obviously shown here aswell in the last sentence. The BW2 entry shows its relationship with the water type and also that it is based of a captain of a ship. It's watchful eye is a reference to keen eye (even though it didn't get it) because captains have good eyesight so they can see upcoming dangers.

Please help though, it needs improving.

dwarfstar

mindless philosopher
WIP

Cawmodore
, the Commander Pokemon

Black: Cawmodore harasses smaller Pokemon in midair and steals their food. Its callous nature makes it a ruthless fighter.

White: This Pokemon can fly continuously for days, even in the harshest storms. It never backs down from a challenge.

BW2: Cawmodore beats its inflated chest with its wings to declare its dominance. Weaker foes flee from its hearty screech.

The theft of food from other birds is the frigatebird's most famous trait, so I figured I had to include that somewhere, and the bit about Cawmodore's brutality on the battlefield would make sense for a Pokemon who thought nothing of stealing others' hard-won food. The long flights are also a reference to frigatebird behavior - they seldom land, even sleeping on the wing, and can stay aloft for more than a week - and flying through storms references Volt Absorb and Cawmodore's strength and courage. Never backing down from a challenge is an allusion to its nature as a one-shot sweeper you don't want to switch out, as well as tying into the courage factor. Male frigatebirds inflate their gular sacs (those red pouches on their chests) as a display of power meant to attract mates, so I adapted that to Cawmodore by making it a general display of dominance and having the bird beat the gular sac (i.e. Belly Drum). The part about the screeching refers to Intimidate, and is also meant to evoke images of a tough old sea captain bellowing orders to the sailors working under him.

Last edited:
WIP
Cawmodore,
the Pirate Pokemon

Black: Drumming against its chest allows it to amplify any noise it makes. A skilled Cawmodore can drum so intensely it can shatter diamond.
White: It has a tendency to jab and screech at other flying Pokemon until they forfeit their meal, it occasionally attacks planes.

BW2: Old nautical tales speak of this Pokemon sinking ships just to obtain the food on board. Metal within its wings converts electricity into raw power.

Good old Pokedex over-exaggeration. Being based off frigate birds who are notorious for their stealing and designed to look a bit like a sailor I figured it was only appropriate to call it the pirate Pokemon. Two out of three of these entries suggest this guy is notorious persistent and strong (I honestly think that Cawmodore works best if he is portrayed as a ruthless pirate). As for Black I wanted to do one entry based off the noises frigate birds can make with their chest so there. Hope you take my entries into consideration! :D​

Last edited:
WIP

Cawmodore,
the Seafaring Pokemon

Black: It does not care what the weather conditions are like at the place it builds its nest. Cawmodore's screech can be heard from miles away.

White: It inflates it's sturdy chest to intimidate and scare away any foes that try and come close to it's nests.

BW2: It's strong wing muscles can scatter a boulder with ease. It flies through thunderstorms without fear.

Epikhairz

Anything goes
WIP

Cawmodore, the Chieftain Crow Pokemon

Black: It is constantly travelling, no matter what the weather conditions are like. If it encounters a rival, it will beat its chest ferociously in an attempt to make itself look intimidating.

White: Cawmodore revels in travelling in dangerous and stormy weather. It will seek for thunderstorms when it's tired, for a jolt of electricity will rejuvenate it.

BW2: When it meets a rival, it will beat its chest vigorously to heighten its senses. This creates a unique sound that resonates for many miles across the sea.

WIP

Cawmodore, the Mariner Bird Pokemon

Black: Capable of flying through even the fiercest of storms, it absorbs lightning without harm to replenish its energy while in flight.

White: If faced with confrontation, it courageously battles with its iron-hard beak and wings. It drums on its armored chest to intimidate foes.

BW2: They are renowned by seafarers as excellent Mariners. Their skills as fighters are surpassed only by their skills as navigators.

I see Cawmodore as more of a traditional good-hearted sailor than a pirate. I figure he'd be well known for his navigating and fighting above all else, and these entries attest to those individual values. Let me know what you think. :)

WIP

Cawmodore,
the Chief Hawk Pokemon.

Black:
Some say that this Pokemon is a force to be reckoned with, due to it's overwhelming power.

White:
Cawmodore was the captain of a battle fleet. It abandoned it's crew to hone it's skills.

BW2:
Cawmodore beats on itself to intimidate foes. In doing so, Cawmodore psychs itself up for the fight.

WIP

Cawmodore, the Admiral Pokémon

Black: It is among the fastest of all flying Pokémon. It uses this speed to engage foes before they can react and steal their food.

White: They form nests in colonies with other Cawmodore. They will often fly long distances accompanied by others from their colony.

BW2: One supposedly became invisible using electromagnetism, but this is generally dismissed as a fable.

So, the Black entry is taken directly from real frigate bird behavior/anatomy, as they are one of the fastest species of birds, and are renowned for stealing food from other seabirds. The White entry is also drawn from the actual animal, as frigate birds nest colonially, while also referencing how sailors travel across the sea together. Finally, the BW2 entry is kind of an easter egg, being a reference to the Philadelphia Experiment.

WIP

Cawmodore, the Albatross Pokemon

Black: Often found higher in the atmosphere higher than any human could withstand, it's the only Flying-type capable of surviving Zekrom's thunder.

White: It's belly is very large, similar to a war plane. Banging on it creates an echo that boosts the morale of all that hear it.

B2/W2: Despite its size, Cawmodore rarely beats it's wings in flight, gliding on currents on the strong currents in Kyogre's rainstorm. Argonaut is it's worst enemy.

Black ties in with Zekrom, and explains Volt Absorb. White explains Intimidate. B2/W2 ties it's influences to the real life albatross and it's bioligy, plus the location and abilities (not Pokemon, what it can do).

Last edited:
WIP

Cawmodore, the Dauntless Pokemon

Black: Its sense of direction is unfailingly sharp. It can fly through dense fog and wind without diverging from its course.

White: It builds its nest using scrap metal from sunken ships. It settles around stormy weather so other bird Pokemon dare not come near.

B2/W2:
It fearlessly faces foes many times its size. It is rumored to sometimes prey on Wailord, and go without food for days afterward.

Black: I alluded to its sea captain look and navigational abilities, since a good captain should have a good navigational sense.
White: I like the idea of Cawmodore inhabiting places where other Pokemon dare not go. It makes it seem more territorial, like most birds.
BW2: A final testament to its bravery. After all, who would mess with a Wailord?

fleurdyleurse

nobody,not even the rain,has such small hands
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
WIP
Cawmodore, the Frigate Bird Pokemon

Black: It is often seen drumming its inflatable chest to increase its power. By doing so, it also intimidates other Pokemon.

White: It's armor can absorb electricity. It is able to withstand storms of any strength.

B2W2: Using its large, inflatable chest, Cawmodore raises its power exponentially. After doing that, it preys on Pokemon larger than itself.

For the Black description, I played on Belly Drum's effects and its ability, Intimidate. For its White, I played on Volt Absorb and being a pirate while for BW2, I played on its Big Pecks, Belly Drum and its speed and bravery.

Changes: Speed mention also Quanyails Bull of Heaven better now?
Would appreciate comments!

Last edited:
WIP

Cawmodore
, the Frigate Bird Pokemon

Black: Cawmodore is well-known for harassing other birds and stealing their food. Its speed and agility intimidate many birds at sea.

White: It can absorb electricity through its tough armor. It often inflates its large chest to scare foes away.

BW2: Cawmodore are greatly helpful to inexperienced sailors. Their navigational skills are unsurpassed.

So uhh, the first one refers to its speed, being a pirate and intimidate(as can be seen from the capitalization)
the second one refers to volt absorb and belly drum
finally, third one is about its navigational skills
any feedback would be nice n_n
Edit- okie quanyails
edit2-okie bull of heaven

Last edited:
To those who want to include Sinnoh CAP 6 in their entries, it's Arghonaut, not Argonaut. Notice the "H". However, I won't be submitting an entry.

Quanyails

On sabbatical!
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
General comments:

There are a lot of good submissions in this thread! I wouldn't have thought up of half of the details some people provide for Cawmodore in a month, and yet those details seem natural. I particularly like ones with Cawmodore's sense of navigation--using its anchor beak as a compass, I'd like to think. I also favor specific entries, though that's reserved for the below section. Overall, many of the entries have nice flavor, and one thing I could say, at all, in general, is that they're a tad on the long side. If some of the entries were a few words shorter, they'd be spot-on with the ones in game.

There are some things I found puzzling in multiple, but not most entries. Doesn't Cawmodore's name imply commodore, which is a naval rank above captains and commanders and below admirals? A commodore that's has a species name of another naval rank seems paradoxical. Additionally, like with name entries, Cawmodore is based off of a frigate bird, so names that involve other bird species isn't fully accurate, either.

Specific comments:
  • darkie: The flavor you incorporate into your entries interweaves stats and interesting details well. :) I like seeing those subtle references to stuff like Cawmodore's high physical defense and immunity to electricity. I had thought about Arghonaut when writing my entries, and I wondered if someone would put up a contrast between Cawmodore and Arghonaut. Good job with that on Black's entry. My favorite phrase admist your sentences is the one that refers to Cawmodore's navigational skills. It's quite natural for a seabird yet fitting! The only negative I have for your entries is that they're on the long side. What would you think about the last sentence of Black's entry?
  • Oglemi: Blacks' and B2/W2's entries are nice. Black's entry would nest very well within the legends in entries, and B2/W2's is indicative of Cawmodore's battling prowess. White's would follow up the same way, but it's not a complete sentence. That shouldn't be too hard to change. :)
  • Nyktos: I again like your incorporation of 'Ironclad', and I like the similarities between your dex entries. I agree that the distinction between Black's and White's/B2/W2's entries should be resolved, moreso by making Black's entry more similar to White's/B2/W2's. Black's also stands out because Cawmodore looks more noble, in my opinion, than a pillager.
  • Martingale: Cawmodore is manly in the sense that male frigate birds are the ones with those gular pouches. :P You have every right to exploit that fact. In fact, I like how burly you're portraying it, especially with how swift frigate birds can be in real life. Let me remind you that the CAP's name is spelled 'Cawmodore'.
  • srk1214: I see. :P I'm all up for subtle references to relevant material. The dex entries sound plausible with that in mind--though B2/W2's entry would require the first phrase to be grammatically correct; "Being excellent navigators," I'd say.
  • Fuzzie: White's entry does a nice job portraying Cawmodore's personality as it stems from physical characteristics. I think of how it relates to Belly Drum, as it is unlikely Cawmodore can switch out after cutting its HP. I find it amusing how Cawmodore mates using the same tactic it uses to intimidate enemies. :P What I do find lacking compared to the White/B2/W2 entries is Black's more explicit reference to Volt Absorb. It sounds less plausible, especially without reason.
  • Blue Frog: I do like the entry about Cawmodore's ability to navigate flawlessly, as well as the mention of its gular pouch. B2/W2's entry, hmm... it feels a bit far-fetched for my tastes. I suppose it works if we're talking about the Dutch in Pokemon.
  • Hollymon: 'Feathers' is plural, so 'protects' should be 'protect'. The 'it's's in your entries should be 'its'. Black's entry introduces Cawmodore in the singular, yet the next sentence refers to them in plural. Consistency would be nice. B2/W2's entry doesn't catch me as well as other entries by saying that Cawmodore is 'used' on ships before explaining how it's used. The entry could be more succinct by going directly to the point.
  • Darth Missingno.: Hrm, my opinion of these entries is skewed since the White entry reminds me greatly of several other entries for the first sentence and Fuzzie's entry for the second. That is unfortunate. :/ On the other hand, your entries have great consistency with Cawmodore's portrayal as a less noble sort of pokemon. I personally prefer the opposite, but you can convince me. :) These entries use 'commander' less so as a ranking and more as a typical noun, though with both implications present. Oh, I just noticed. 'Flying-type' or 'flying' would be more proper rather than 'Flying'.
  • LudicrousLugia: 'Its', not 'it's. Otherwise, very nice entries. Your B2/W2 entry stands out amidst the other entries in this thread from its different description of Cawmodore's actions. 'Tendency' in the White entry doesn't sound right to me. 'It jabs and screeches' gets to the behavior more directly. The plane addition is just the exaggerated behavior we'd see in these entries. :P
  • Scizivire: Ah, your entries' ideas have been written in previous submissions. :/ That alone isn't bad, but it doesn't help make your submissions extraordinary. I'd say for you to go from a different perspective if you want your entries to be noticed more. Just a note, but the word you're looking for is 'its', not 'it's'.
  • Epikhairz0603: The species name is one character too long, and even then, Cawmodore is a frigate bird rather than a crow. I suppose 'crow' is a short word that substitutes okay for 'frigate bird' (like 'Thunder' for 'Electric'), but it's ia bit inaccurate. The Black entry is too long, too. I like the idea behind White's entry--not just that it's tough enough to withstand thunderstorms, but the energy from a bolt reinvigorates it. :) It gives Cawmodore a boisterous sort of personality. B2/W2's entry is also fine, although I've seen it before.
  • SquirtleSquad626: I think of Cawmodore as noble, too. :) I like the entries--including yours--that portray Cawmodore that way (though it's great to see other portrayals). I think that the Volt Absorb allusion is too explicit for my tastes in the Black entry, and White's and B2/W2's entries feel tired after reading through the previous dozen. They're fine submissions, but I'll indicate that they'll have to stand out from similar ones.
  • Aidan LeSauvage: Cawmodore's a frigate bird, and even if hawk is a short word that fits into thirteen characters better than 'frigate bird', it's still not quite accurate. I'd say your entries are a bit generic compared to the detail other entries have, but the lengths of your entries are spot-on, compared to the lengths other entries have. I think your entries have a lot of potential, though it'll require improvement to get to there. :)
  • P2X7: Black's and B2/W2's entries are quite distinguished! I'm glad that there's one entry that points out the speed of frigate birds, which is reflected in real life and Cawmodore's stats. B2/W2 doesn't make as much sense as possible, as Cawmodore is a bird, not a ship, but I give you points for creativity. White's, I'd say, isn't anything interesting compared to other bird species. Perhaps you could expand on Cawmodore's long flights.
  • Psylink: Erm, one thing about your Black entry: Zekrom has TeraVolt, so it would cut right through Volt Absorb. X3 That's what's off-putting about the entry, which is nicely exaggerated otherwise. White's entry, while I get its intentions, fails in comparison. Is a Cawmodore's belly big as a war plane? Or maybe a piece of its hull? That seems a bit too implausible for me. B2/W2's entry requires an 'it's' --> 'its' change and an 'Argonaut' --> 'Arghonaut' change.
  • The Steam Punk: Wow, I really like your entries! They're dense with nice flavor that defines Cawmodore as bold but not typically so. I especially like how Cawmodore lives dangerously so as to steer other pokemon away, and a Cawmodore preying on Wailord brings up quite the imagery. Fantastic!
  • cosmicdonutsummer: Hmm, since I've been reading through all of the other entries, this set is another that works for Cawmodore. o3o Black's and White's are fine and uses repeated ideas, though B2/W2's entry could be better phrased. The sentence looks like it's two without connections between the ideas. o3o
  • Kingler12345: Your entries are fine by themselves, but if you look above, there are many other entries that use the same ideas. Your entries may be weighted less, if only because the Black entry has inconsistent capitalization. I'd lower the case of 'Speed' and 'Intimidates'.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)