Mawile (QC 0/1)

[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Has the useful ability Intimidate to weaken blows while switching in or mega evolving.</li>
<li>Mega evolution has huge power which increases its already decent 105 attack to very dangerous levels.</li>
<li>Has priority sucker punch to make up for its low speed.</li>
<li>The added Fairy typing combined with Steel makes it neutral/ immune to Fairy's weaknesses.</li>
<li>Good STABs in Play Rough and Iron Head.</li>
<li>Functions very well in Trick Room.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Is crippled by enemy intimidate.</li>
<li>Weak to Ground and Fire attacks, which have powerful spread moves.</li>
<li>Mediocre HP and Special Defense, making it harder to survive special hits.</li>
<li>Low speed outside of Trick Room.</li>
<li>Even with Intimidate, normal Mawile has low defenses, making it vulnerable to attacks.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Mawile @ Mawilite<br />
Ability: Intimidate<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef<br />
Adamant / Brave Nature<br />
- Play Rough<br />
- Iron Head / Fire Fang<br />
- Sucker Punch<br />
- Protect<br /></p>

<p>This set is supposed to work as either a bulky attacker or trick room sweeper. Mawile has many resistances and intimidate before mega evolving,</p>

<ul>
<li>Good partners are Pokemon that can set up Trick Room and have decent synergy, such as Reuniclus. </li>
<li>Pokemon that can take Mawile's weaknesses, such as Rotom-W or Gyrados, are also good partners.</li></p>
</ul>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>With its massive attack power, Mega Mawile has few counters, especially in Trick Room. However, there are a decent number of Pokemon who can take a hit and attack back with powerful attacks. Pokemon with ground and fire STABs are a large threat, if they can take an attack. Talonflame can be EV'd to take a Sucker Punch and retaliate with Flare Blitz. Intimidate users can weaken Mawile's attacks and retaliate. Mawile is very slow outside of Trick Room, so it will fall to faster foes with powerful enough attacks. Pokemon like Trevenant and Rotom-W (who has a 4x Iron Head resistance) can burn Mawile, rendering it useless. Amoongus can redirect its attacks and respond with Spore.</p>

This is my first C&C so please be nice! :)

Last edited:

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
mention how its slow speed does it in outside of tr in the cons section. also mons like rotom-w and trevenant can hit it with will-o-wisp (rotom-w 4x resists iron head too) which will kinda cripple it, so i'd mention that in checks and counters.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mention Mawiles Typing, Being a Steel, and Fairyt-type it doesn't have the normal weaknesses a Fairy would
I wouldn't say that taking up the mega slot is a bad thing in mawiles case
Iron Head is used as secondary stab, idk you worded that kind of weird
sucker punch only has +1 priority, as does any flying-type attack from talonflame so sucker punch will fail to hit unless in trick room

for checks and counters, the 2nd sentence is worded funny. Mention Pokemon with Groud-type stab, Pokemon who can status Mawile, Amoongus can spore as well as redirect sucker punches.

where do you want me to reword that?
Mention Mawiles Typing, Being a Steel, and Fairyt-type it doesn't have the normal weaknesses a Fairy would
I did mention the fairy steel thing in Pros.
I wouldn't say that taking up the mega slot is a bad thing in mawiles case
I removed the mega slot thing.
Iron Head is used as secondary stab, idk you worded that kind of weird
where do you want me to reword that?
sucker punch only has +1 priority, as does any flying-type attack from talonflame so sucker punch will fail to hit unless in trick room
But Mawile will usually be in TR or strong enough to take a Brave bird, which does 25% max, so really it's only hit by Flare Blitz.

for checks and counters, the 2nd sentence is worded funny. Mention Pokemon with Groud-type stab, Pokemon who can status Mawile, Amoongus can spore as well as redirect sucker punches.
Did this.
Responses in bold, most of them were implemented.

Mizuhime

Did I mistake you for a sign from God?
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Iron head is good secondary. STAB for steel types- it sounds odd; make it Iron head provides good secondary stab for Mawile

adamant should probably be the main nature, because you might not want to use mawile on a trick room team all the time. brave can be slashed in and 0 speed can be mentioned. i think fire fang deserves a slash with iron head or at least a mention because it nails scizor and some other steels that would wall mawile otherwise. also in the cons, specifically mention how normal mawile suffers from low defenses when trying to abuse intimidate.

adamant should probably be the main nature, because you might not want to use mawile on a trick room team all the time. brave can be slashed in and 0 speed can be mentioned. i think fire fang deserves a slash with iron head or at least a mention because it nails scizor and some other steels that would wall mawile otherwise. also in the cons, specifically mention how normal mawile suffers from low defenses when trying to abuse intimidate.
Done.

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Great job so far, just a few final nitpicks:
  • Mention that Talonflame needs LO or CB to OHKO Mega Mawile, it won't OHKO otherwise and will take enough damage from recoil to be killed by Sucker Punch pt.2
  • Move Iron Head to moveslot #3, slash on Rock Slide as well to deal with Charizard, Talonflame, and others under TR (it should only be used on a TR set though)
  • Mention Scrafty as a top-tier partner. Fake Out lets Mega Mawile get hits in even without TR, Quick Guard stops priority shenanigans from Talonflame/Scizor, and Intimidate is cool beans.
QC APPROVED 1/1

i'd really mention some specific checks and counters to megawile. excadrill is a huge threat, totally needs to be mentioned as a specific ground type check, adamant lo earthquake has a very high chance to ohko (97.3 - 115.4%). megazard y is a gigantic threat. there are other mons of course.

slowking might be worth mentioning as a solid partner, since it actually has become more popular with a lot of trick room users not allowed. it synergizes really well with megawile in terms of coverage, since you can nail fire and ground types. slowking also has the buffed oblivious, so it can't be taunted.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)