Smogon Battle Spot Leaderboard (updated as of Feb 2nd)

How do you have Seismic Toss Blissey?
Because Seismic Toss is an Egg move now. Its a bit annoying but...

Mankey -> Mawile -> Chansey for Seismic Toss
Roselia -> Chansey for Aromatherapy

Females pass down egg moves down now so crap like Azumarril with Belly Drum and Water Jet are legal... I may actually give that a try with Heal Pulse Clawitzer/Blissey...

Because Seismic Toss is an Egg move now. Its a bit annoying but...

Mankey -> Mawile -> Chansey for Seismic Toss
Roselia -> Chansey for Aromatherapy

Females pass down egg moves down now so crap like Azumarril with Belly Drum and Water Jet are legal... I may actually give that a try with Heal Pulse Clawitzer/Blissey...
Thank you so much, you are a saint, sir. I am so on this.

Finally getting a good streak.

New team is working wonders for me. Consists of Sableye/Mega Blaziken/Goodra/Talonflame/Aegislash/Gastrodon.

Mega Blaziken is OP as shit if it can get going. The switch to Adamant from Jolly was super significant. I can just see the opponent's face when their Rotom-W takes around 70% damage from a HJK. No one expects the Mixed Aegislash either.

Might have to replace my Calm Sableye with a Bold one as I go higher.

Also lol it's funny to have a Japanese cart and be counted among them all. I wonder what JP players think when they face me, says I'm from JP, and then see all my mons are in English...

Hill

ticking away, the moments that make up a dull day
is a Past WCoP Champion
Got to 1941 (Proof will be provided once PGL gets updated with the previous 6-hour period). Swaped my team entirely since I've posted, tried a lot of stuff and now I have a team that is really strong against every common stuf people use.

Team is Rotom-W, Talonflame, Venusaur, Garchomp, Togekiss and Gengar

EDIT:

Last edited:
sorry about that thing i posted earlier i was just trying to make people more aware, no ill intentions lol

anyways ive gotten to 1861 in singles using a modified team of blaziken/talonflame/octllery/rotom-w/noivern/ditto

i bpass speed from blaziken to octillery and just set up all over his best counters like slowbro. moody is really strong, if a bit unreliable at times. im surprised ive never seen anyone else abusing it because it destroys stall teams without roar

EDIT: Newest rating, went to 1732 on singles

Made a few alterations in my original list.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Liquid Ooze
Bold Nature 252hp/ 236def /16speed

~toxic
~scald
~sludge bomb
~protect

Rotom-W @ Choice Specs
Levitate
Modest Nature - 152 HP/252 atk/ 100 speed
~Volt Switch
~Hydro Pump
~Dark Pulse
~Trick

Avalugg @ Rocky Helmet
Sturdy
Relaxed Nature 252 hp 252 def 6 sdef

~toxic
~earthquake
~avalanche
~recover

Kangaskhan @Kangaskhanite
Early Bird
Jolly Nature - 252 atk / 252 speed / 4 hp
~Sucker Punch
~Earthquake
~Power-up Punch
~Return

Talonflame @ Choice Band
Gale Wings
Adamant Nature 252 hp/252 atk/6def
~Brave Bird
~U-turn
~Will o Wisp
~Flare Blitz

Ampharos @Ampharosite
Static/MoldBreaker
Modest Nature 252 satk/252 speed/6hp
~discharge
~dragon pulse
~focus blast
~agility

Last edited:
My first post after a couple of years (just a side note: oh it seems even non-admins could now use gifs huh? cool)

Been doing good in the Battle Spot not until I reached the 1600-ish spot where I find it hard to stay in the rank, so I thought, maybe I could use some help. It seems that this is a new environment. Anyway here is my team:

Excadrill @ Focus Sash
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide
- X-Scissor

(The main sweeper of the team. Once Ttar ejects, Excadrill has easy entrance and the chance to set-up. Focus sash is godly in 3v3 where hazards are pretty much non-existent.I like this guy since he resists brave bird)

Venusaur-Mega @ Venusaurite
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder
- Giga Drain
- Leech Seed

(Kills bulky waters, fairies, Rotom-W and all that can oppose Excadrill's sweep.)

Tyranitar @ Eject Button
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 80 HP / 176 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

(Frankly, this guy doesn't do much, just sets up sand. But he really is needed for Excadrill to sweep)

Garchomp-Mega @ Garchompite
Ability: Sand Force
EVs: 224 Atk / 32 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naughty Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor

(Wallbreaker, has surprise factor at first, but people seem to catch up)

Talonflame @ Sharp Beak
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Flare Blitz
- Tailwind
- U-turn

(Fakes choice, as well as the omnipresent member of everyone's team)

Espeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Spd / 4 SAtk / 252 HP
Timid Nature
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Light Screen
- Reflect

(The only purpose this guy has is to counter the Meostic-M's, Klefki's, Sableye's which I see occasional use)

My ratings usually fluctuate between 1560-1620.

CoolStoryBrobat

The hero Smogon needs, but not the one it deserves
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

I came back up significantly higher than where I was when I first posted here...I was in the mid 1700s, but I lost 3 games in a row to hax and movesets that caught me entirely off-guard, so I tanked a bit. My team has also had some heavy changes along the way, and it's now Staraptor/Rotom-Heat/Azumarill/Breloom/Reuniclus/Sableye:

Staraptor @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Reckless
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Double-Edge
- Close Combat
- U-Turn

• My main revenge killer, and lead often times. I sometimes hate having to lead with it because prediction often goes two ways, and not U-Turning at the proper time (or even having to U-Turn against some foes) can often lead to a bad start early. Outside of that, the only Pokemon this guy is going to have issues with are Talonflame, Aegislash, and any Rock or Steel-type that doesn't immediately die to Close Combat. Most other Pokemon are 2HKOed by either Double-Edge or Brave Bird, which is just incredible given the amount of power it has with Reckless

Rotom-Heat @ Leftovers
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Thunder Wave

• Rotom-Heat has served as an incredible special wall; the main draw it has that makes me use it is it's pretty much a hard counter for Mega Charizard Y, as well as a pretty good stop to Aegislash, be it physical or special, as well as the omnipresent Talonflame. Even Choice Banded Talonflame isn't getting past this, and is going to be heavily damaged by Volt Switch. It also sponges hits from things like Hydreigon and Gengar, which is always a plus. I run dual status just because at times Thunder Wave has been helpful for crippling a foe so it can be beaten by one of its teammates, while Will-O-Wisp is vital for inflicting burns and passive damage. However though I have learned that Thunder Wave can come back to bite you by allowing Rotom to Volt Switch first, meaning whatever comes in next may have to take a hard hit, which can still screw me over. That and how easily Rotom gets worn down has made me honestly consider switching to Chesto + Rest. The only time where Thunder Wave is 100% assured to be helpful is if Rotom is going to be KOed on the second hit, or the foe is locked into a move that won't do much damage to it or whatever comes in. For the most part though, Rotom's been a solid teammate to use, and it's cool to use one of the appliances that ISN'T a washing machine at times.

Azumarill @ Splash Plate
Trait: Huge Power
EVs: 168 HP / 252 Atk / 88 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Waterfall
- Play Rough
- Double-Edge
- Aqua Jet

• I haven't tried Belly Drum Sitrus Azumarill, but I've been running just fine using this one. The EVs were actually stolen from somewhere in its early OU thread, I think they were used to outspeed Jellicent, I guess? Either way, this Azumarill hits like a truck. I prefer Splash Plate over Choice Band because the ability to hit hard and still switch moves has been a major cause for winning me games along the way with this thing, especially in some rare scenarios where people do think it may be Choice Banded. Double-Edge is mainly for Tentacruel. I COULD run Superpower, but my team pretty much runs all over Ferrothorn, seeing as Rotom-H destroys it, and Reuniclus is able to set up on it. Tentacruel beats my main special wall (still loses to Reuniclus though but that's besides the point). I don't really use Double-Edge much, and even when I had Superpower on it I didn't use the move much, so it really is just only used in the rare case a Water + Fairy resist shows up. Oh yeah this is also my go-to for dealing with Mega Charizard X. If I see a Charizard in team preview, this, Rotom-Heat, and something else is guaranteed to get into the game just because Zard is an unpredictable jerkface. :[

Breloom @ Focus Sash
Trait: Technician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Seed
- Mach Punch
- Rock Tomb
- Spore

• Pretty straightforward set, though I actually used Life Orb on Breloom over Focus Sash for a while, and could not for the life of me grasp why it died so much. With Focus Sash it's able to revenge kill a number of threats in a pinch as well as induce sleep (Watch out for random sleep talkers though) while still hitting hard. I can't really say Breloom has had its flaws, the biggest issue I say it has to deal with is either random Stealth Rock setters if it isn't already in (cause no sash), and Pokemon who run Lum Berry or Sleep Talk switching in on it, as Breloom really relies on sleep for dealing with some switch-ins. And if its Sash has been broken, it's incredibly vulnerable, even being dead weight for the opponent at times. Oh yeah it's also huge Mega Venusaur bait, which is kind of bad for my team since my 100% sure way of dealing with Mega Venusaur is Staraptor, who hates coming in on a Sleep Powder.

Reuniclus @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Psyshock
- Focus Blast
- Calm Mind
- Recover

• Shoutouts to PK Gaming for suggesting this thing. I've tried it, and it is such an amazing Pokemon, especially against those annoying defensive/stally teams. I slapped on Life Orb because I kind of had Leftovers taken by Rotom and Sitrus Berry taken by Sableye, and Reuniclus doesn't mind the extra power (especially since there's no recoil). I could use either Colbur Berry or whatever that Ghost-resist berry is called, but I haven't found any or gotten the time to bother going after them. Rocky Helmet's an option too (lol Kangaskhan is so cheap) but I think the power from Life Orb has really done work in addition to any boosts it may have gotten. This set pretty much wins games if it manages to set up a Calm Mind with above 50% HP left, though strong special attackers can still beat it down early, as can some choice-banded physical attackers. Fortunately it's able to beat other Calm Mind sweepers like Sylveon, thanks to Psyshock, though it still has to be wary of Shadow Ball. Speaking of Shadow Ball, it kind of sucks that this is hard countered by Sableye and Aegislash, and other Reuniclus carrying Shadow Ball. But that's the price you pay for decent coverage, I guess. Losing Calm Mind or Recover for Shadow Ball compromises a huge component of this set's ability to win games, which is a no-go. Oh yeah, critical hits are also this guy's biggest enemy, but I haven't had it get critted too much as it shut games out pretty quickly at times.

Sableye @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Foul Play
- Will-O-Wisp
- Taunt
- Recover

• Sableye is pretty awesome in Battle Spot, and though it struggles with Fairies (who usually KO it if it bothers to stay in), has been a heck of a stallbreaker and Taunt user on Battle Spot. The number of random Pokemon who get shut down by Taunt is incredibly high, and having priority on it is awesome. I guess the biggest thing Sableye has to watch out for is hard-hitting physical attackers who can 2HKO (especially if Will-O-Wisp misses, then it's pretty much going to die) and hard-hitting special attackers. Often times it gets forced into spamming Recover while letting burn damage add up, which is bad because it can easily lend itself to being critical hit or taking damage from a high roll that can just barely put it into KO range. Foul Play allows it to still punish physical attackers after they've been burned, and is kind of the only true option it has for dealing damage. Knock Off is cool but due to how most foes stay in on Sableye, knocking off their item and using a weak uninvested physical move with a -Atk nature isn't really the best-sounding option. Oh yeah, I've learned that apparently other Sableye users like to Speed creep :\ So I try to avoid Sableye Vs. Sableye matchups at all costs now

For the sake of numbers I'll add one from early on into Season 1 Triples at 1855.
I took this screenshot because of how surprised I was for a team like this to even hit the 1700s so I didn't really bother to take the one where I was a battle or two away from hitting the 1900s.

I believe this was with Gengar/Charizard/Garchomp/Aerodactyl/Gardevoir/Scizor.

This team was only made for the purpose of evaluating how much triples has changed since my previous participation in Gen5, and how many players could easily win against me at 6-0. So I thought it'd be cool to just slap together a bunch of Pokemon that could Mega Evolve for this observation. For this reason I don't feel that listing the movesets would help anyone trying to get into triples since this team is by no means efficient as any experienced triples player can probably tell simply by taking a look at them. But if you're curious feel free to PM me.

Overall I was disappointed for the lack of diversity used in this season particularly at the higher ranks. Nonetheless players from Japan are still impressive as always. My primary goal was to seek out the worldwide Top 3's by playing at different hours of the day to evaluate their play-style and how their team would theoretically play against the majority of others. After my observations were completed last night I reset my score to 1500.

On another note, by the end of the season there was an epidemic of high-ranked players transferring teams to games with 1500 ranks and staying/resetting at that range which some of the players here doing Triples may have noticed.

Also pretty awesome that Gardevoir has gained some recognition, as I felt like nobody appreciated it back in Gen4 Doubles and Gen5 Triples, though I had a completely different Moveset on it for that Gardevoir than the one I used here. Such a shame that Ally Switch isn't available in XY.

Here's to hoping that Pokebank will bring a great diversity back into Triples for everyone.

I ended up at 1953 for Season 1 singles. Team (in order of most picked): Venusaur/Aegislash/Togekiss/Garchomp/Gliscor/Quagsire

Posting my highest at the end of the Season 1 ladder.

The feeling when you get this high and realize you're only rank 6,900 in JP... Sigh.

Anyway, I'm going to be changing and experimenting with some new mons for the new Seaons (like Megazard Y) but I'll post up the team I used before this.

Kangaskhan (Samidare/F) @ Kangaskhanite
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Scrappy/Parental Bond
EVs: 4HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Power Up Punch
-Return
-Earthquake
-Sucker Punch

I tried so hard not to use Mega Mom, but I finally gave in. She's seriously too good, and can sweep even if she's the last mon out. However, with all the Rocky Helmet users out there, if you're not careful she can and will suicide. Don't try to rely on her too much, and bring good partners. Heck, half the time I didn't even bring her because the opponent's team was a bit too over prepared for Mega Mom and my other mons would do better.

Talonflame (Yukari/F) @ Sky Plate
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Gale Wings
EVs: 80 HP/252 Atk/176 Spe
-Brave Bird
-Flare Blitz
-U-Turn
-Will-O-Wisp

Another BS staple. One of my priority users, which allow me some way to clean up messes against faster opponents. Doesn't hit as hard as Choice Band, but allows me to switch moves, and allows me to run WoW, which is a very nasty surprise for switch-ins. The EVs allow me to outspeed base 101s, though I might tweak the EVs to outspeed Garchomp. An excellent Mega Venusaur killer.

Breloom (Nowa/F) @ Focus Sash
Nature: Jolly
Ability: Technician
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
-Spore
-Rock Tomb
-Mach Punch
-Bullet Seed

A recent addition to my team, which allowed me to get a bit higher in the 1700s. One of the best leads there is. If you have good prediction, Breloom can take out one mon and severely injure another before going down. Allows me to kill MLucario as well.

Hippowdon (Potemkin/M) @ Rocky Helmet
Nature: Impish
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/4 Atk/252 Def
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang
-Slack Off
-Whirlwind

Another recent addition, replacing Gastrodon for experimental use. A fantastic Physical wall, but gets absolutely destroyed by Special Attackers, but can still live some hits. Super slow, which doesn't help it much. Good for getting some residual damage in, but does less damage than I'd like. I might put Gastrodon back in instead, we'll see. Most likely though I'll test a Skarmory and see how well it does.

Goodra (Melona/F) @ Assault Vest
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpA/4 Def
-Dragon Pulse
-Draco Meteor
-Thunderbolt
-Fire Blast

My Special wall, and another mon to check Mega Venusaur. Hits pretty hard, and laughs off Special hits, but physical ones hurt. The grass immunity is a godsend. It saw more use though as a partner to Gastrodon, but now I'll probably switch it for Mandibuzz.

Greninja (Chipp/M) @ Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk/252 SpA/252 Spe
-Hydro Pump
-Ice Beam
-Grass Knot
-U-Turn

My all out Special Attacker. Used to be a lead with Focus Sash before I used Breloom. Hits stupidly hard, and can U-Turn for momentum. Faster than a lot of stuff, and can survive a stray physical priority move at full health bar Brave Bird.

For the next season, I'll be using a different lineup, probably including Char Y/Skarmory/Azumarill to see how different it is.

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15218313/Triples.png

I might want to point out it may not be a good idea to post your team in this thread until the season is over or if you retire it. ESPECIALLY if you're aiming for top 100.

I was in the 1800s in the first season for Triples, then after I posted my team here my rating dropped severely (didn't help that cheaters were out and about as well) and I missed the top 100 altogether at the end of the season.

At this point and time for season 2 I have a rating of 1807 in Triples, which (hopefully when the ladder updates) is the highest rating in Triples for any country not named Japan. I'll have screenshots when it updates. Japan (and Korea) are dominating across the leaderboards... We need to really step up our game. The best English-speaking site for competitive battling does not mean much if we're getting reamed on the worldwide leaderboards. I'm trying really really hard to represent, yo.

Speaking of which... In Triples Beat Up Whimiscott Beating Up Terrakion seems to be a very popular setup now. Make sure you have something super fast or carry Wide Guard to deal with that and the Choice Scarf Dark Void Smeargles...

I think I've gotten the hang of Triples now, so if you have questions about how to play it and stuff... Feel free to poke me.

Anyone know if there's a Japanese or Korean equivalent of Smogon?

Last edited:
Terrakion is back in Triples already? That was quick, considering the small time window they had in Japan to get PokeBank.

If you're trying to keep things private, that can be an issue this gen thanks to VS Recorder. With it, you can bring in a team of Dittos to view their entire Movesets, and Frisk to view all their items. So as long as you've already battled them once, you'll basically have all the info about their team if you choose to view them. This is probably why some higher ranks choose to change up their teams throughout the season since the less predictable you are the more that plays to your side. It'll take some work to consider other efficient candidates for your team composition though if you're changing throughout the season.

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Sitting at 1539 points at the moment after a quick night of playing (14 wins - 13 losses). It's okay, but not great, and I could certainly improve. I've been in competitive battling for a few years now, but I've never been that great. A lot of the averageness in this team, however, can be attributed to a) my tendency to avoid overused Pokémon and b) the fact that it's still very much under construction. That said, I'm surprised I haven't been doing a lot worse. This is my team:

Clawitzer @Assault Vest
Modest
Mega Launcher
252 HP/252 Sp. Atk/4 Def
-Water Pulse
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-U-Turn

A decent tank and hard-hitting pivot. The lack of recovery hurts it though, and it generally isn't pulling it's weight as much as I'd like it to. Looking for a Water- or Fighting-type replacement.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Sassy
Iron Barbs
252 HP/216 Sp. Def/40 Def
-Power Whip
-Gyro Ball
-Curse
-Stealth Rock

Curse+Gyro Ball Ferrothorn is surprisingly good, even on a team where paralysis is so heavily employed: Thanks to Rocky Helmet and Iron Barbs stacking, Ferrothorn is a fantastic switch-in to Mega Kang to rack up some damage, and after Curse it only cares about the hardest hitting of physical attackers, and even then, many of them lose a chunk of their health to Rocky Helmet. I want to get rid of Stealth Rock asap so I'm thinking of rebreeding this to get Leech Seed instead (also a good excuse to redo the EV spread to make it physically bulkier). Still not an MVP though.

Manectric @ Manectite
Timid
Static (need ability capsule)
252 Sp. Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Thunderbolt
-Flamethrower
-Volt Switch
-Thunder Wave

My god this thing is fantastic. MVP for sure. Even though I missed out on Hidden Power [Ice] (rebreeding ho) it's still quite useful for playing around Mega Kang, Rotom, and all the popular Fairies (Electric/Fire hits every popular Fairy bar Sylveon/Florges for SE damage) and simply racking up Intimidates on everything else. It hard counters Talonflame with a combination of Intimidate, Brave Bird resist and superior speed. Flying and Steel are everywhere on the Battle Spot, so Manectric is a fantastic partner for Whimsicott as it boosts the team's physical bulk with Intimidate and frequent switching and hits Whimsicott's counters very hard. Manectric is a great Pokémon to consider if you don't like Rotom-W.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Bold
Prankster
252 HP/252 Def/4 Spd
-Memento
-Encore
-Taunt
-Stun Spore

My other big MVP - Fairy-typing is a fantastic buff on Whimsicott that allows it to screw around with several new things it couldn't in BW. It is evil. Normally I either lead with it or lead with Manectric, then immediately Volt Switch back to Whimsicott, which then starts to force switches and spread paralysis all over the opposing side. Being able to paralyse Garchomp is awesome; being able to hard counter every pre-bank Prankster with a faster Taunt is golden.

Haxorus @ Lum Berry
Jolly
Mold Breaker
252 Atk/252 Spd/4 HP
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Poison Jab

My token setup sweeper. I added this after making Whimsicott to take advantage of the free turns it could make with Memento. So far, it's working alright; however, it's disappointingly frail without any investment in bulk and oftentimes I don't get the opportunity to boost up (however, I've won a bunch of games by simply powering through with Haxorus at +0 - perhaps a Choice item or Expert Belt would serve me better?). However, the ability to EQ through Rotom and slap Fairies around with Poison Jab makes it worth a spot for now. I don't deny it needs some tweaking though.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Adamant
Poison Heal
252 HP/184 Atk/72 Spd
-Substitute
-Roost
-Earthquake
-Ice Fang

The last of my three wondermons, Gliscor is my dragonslayer and primary physical tank. SubRoost is fantastic for buying myself time to get hits in and keeping Gliscor healthy. Earthquake + Ice Fang is still fairly good coverage against things that count (I had Rock Slide over Ice Fang for Talonflame but Manectric murders the bird and I needed the Dragon coverage really badly).

Last edited:
I think the main problem with this team is it looks like you really don't have many safe switches. If you need something to be a hard hitter pivot why not try something like Weakness Policy Tyranitar over Clawitzer? Or even better... Standard CM Suicune. Terrakion is also an option. Then you'll have a really nice tank or sweeper. Clawitzer is so much better in Triples than other formats. I would probably not suggest using one on an OU or on a non-triples Battle Spot team.

Hmm, if you're using Memento I'm surprised you don't have a trapper on that team. Forcing a Taunt and stuff is absolutely perfect if you had Wobbuffet or a Pursuit user. Otherwise your opponent can just switch to something else. That'd probably really help your Hax Dragon perform late game sweeps too.

Is Whimiscott the best holder of Leftovers on your team? 60/85/75 defenses seem ehhh for that.

If you wanna troll people you could try Hone Claws Guillotine Haxxorus lol. I think your set is fine. The EVs on it is really left up to preference.

You could put Payback over SR on Ferro? Or Bulldoze to mess with Fire types that switch in? You could also run Toxic. I personally don't see how Leech Seed can do you much good in Battle Spot Singles without additional Lefties recovery and/or other things to tank.

Stuff like HP Ice/Heat Wave Zapdos, Dragonite, and MixApe can rip huge holes in your team and may become really difficult to switch into. But yeah I'd suggest use more bulky stuff because you'll easily lose on just one single mispredict.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
iirc OHKO moves ignore accuracy modifiers so hone claws + guillotine won't work...

but yeah I'd probably go with leech seed > stealth rock for the recovery on Ferro, maybe even swap the leftovers from Whimsicott over to it

ethan06

⋖(☼┆☼)⋗
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
Thanks for your feedback guys. I'm gonna swap SR on Ferrothorn for Payback and possibly give it Leftovers - but the main draw with Rocky Helmet is taking half of Mega Kang's health every time I tank a hit, which goes a long way to taking it out. Without it I get taken out a lot quicker by things like Power-Up Punch.

In terms of things with tanking ability, I've decided to replace Clawitzer with AV Conkeldurr. I needed Fighting coverage anyhow, and having another good status absorber makes me less reliant on Gliscor. I think the next thing to replace or tweak is Haxorus, either to a Choice Scarf version or I'll reassign it to my VGC Tailwind team and pick another setup sweeper.

Last edited:
This is my current team. I decided to play the Season II Singles again, even if my team has 0 pokébank mons/moves on it. I'm currently at 1670+ rating and going up, I will post the screenshots later.

This team is just a variation of my older team from Season I, it has not changed much since then.

Ferrothorn

Relaxed Nature
Iron Barbs
252 hp/252 def /4 atk
@ Rocky Helmet

~gyro ball
~leech seed
~stealth rock
~protect

This is my favorite leadmon. I use it to break sashes and block Mega-Kanga.

Rotom-Wash

Levitate
Modest Nature
152 hp/100 def/252satk
@ choice specs

~Hydro Pump
~Discharge
~Volt Switch
~Will o Wisp

THe adorable washing machine! I prefer will o wisp to trick simply because trick is almost useless in 3v3 hence the lack of proeminent stalling machines. And the trickable mons use to enjoy choice specs. If the metagame changes, I'd consider running trick again.

Talonflame

Adamant Nature
Gale Wings
252 hp / 252 attack / 6 speed

@ life orb

~brave bird
~roost
~will o wisp
~u-turn

The standard revenge killer, is surprising resilient. It is the "carry" of the team, most people still run teams that are talonflame weak.

Mega-Ampharos

Static/Mold Breaker
Modest Nature
252 SATK/252 SPEED/6 HP

@ Ampharosite
~Agility
~Discharge
~Focus Blast
~Dragon Pulse

This set is amazing. Because of its good defenses after mega-evolving, it can set up and sweep easily, especially if the opponent neglects it.

Greninja

Protean
Hasty Nature
252 satk/252speed/ 4 attack
@ focus sash

~Water Shuriken
~Dark Pulse
~Ice Beam
~Grass Knot
My revenge killer. I was using u-turn but I needed a water-type attack. Then, I am testing Water Shuriken. So far, it has worked decently.

Reuniclus

Overcoat
Modest Nature
252hp / 252 satk / 4 def
@ Leftovers

~Trick Room
~Focus Blast
~Psychic
~Shadow Ball

My anti Mega-Venusaur pokémon. Counters him nicely with the aid of Overcoat. Absorbs Sleep. Sadly, Breloom, one of the best sleep inducers out there, has a nice chance of ohkoing it with 5 hits from Bullet Seed. Lastly, Reuniclus has enough power to clean mess up using Trick Room.

Last edited:
Finally 1871 in Triples (will have screenshot when the site updates).

By the way... You're able to trade Wide Guard Mudkips over WiFi now and Wide Guard Swampert is unbanned from Battle Spot. I sent in a trouble ticket on pokemon.com and what do you know they actually fixed it! Kinda funny considering all the people you see complaining about it when you search on Google. Gonna be wrecking Triples with Wide Guard Swampert soon enough...

Edit: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15218313/Rating.png

Last edited:
Odd that I'm ranked in the US, I didn't think the Global Link would change my original region just because I switched my 3DS region just for E-Store use.

Anyways. 1830 in the picture, but I hit a high of 1846. Languishing in the mid-1700s now however... Nevertheless, not too bad for a team with no Pokebank access, I suppose. I certainly would have appreciated Latios, though! (Among other things)

Latest team composition in no particular order, complete with nonsensical ramblings. Take my words with a pinch of salt: The last time I even battled remotely competitively was during the Shoddybattle era. Throwing my team repeatedly through Battle Spot has given me some experience, but hey.

Breloom@Focus Sash
Jolly, Technician
252 Attack/252 Speed/4 HP
Rock Tomb/Mach Punch/Bullet Seed/Spore

Preferred lead of choice for teams with no clear leads, or those he can make short work of. He's also useful throughout the match for various reasons. Often kills off those darn Prankster Thundurus-I leads thanks to Rock Tomb and Focus Sash. I used to Spore off the bat, but there have been occassions where the Thundurus decides to Taunt or Thunder Wave instead, which earned me a free OHKO and an intact sash (Checking calcs, it's more of a 31% chance to OHKO, but Mach Punch will take care of any leftover HP if he stays in). He's also rather decent check against Gyarados, though it would seem switching in Gyarados into Breloom is a very bad idea in my experience. I've seen him do about 70% on a switch-in with a 5-hit Bullet Seed under Intimidate, and unboosted Ice Fangs don't do enough to OHKO it back even as a Mega (Although Focus Sash lets him live any hits regardless). Jolly helps clutch some Breloom mirrors as well, but sometimes you just miss the 2hko.

Charizard@Charizardite X
Adamant, Blaze
Outrage/Flare Blitz/Brick Break/Dragon Dance

Predicted Rotom-W leads give this a free setup, et al. Brick Break is handy for handling the occasional Tyranitar and a few other niche cases like Air Balloon Heatran. It's a slight nombo against King's Shield Aegislash, but I haven't run into that issue much, at least not that I can remember... Usually he just wrecks with Outrage, even steels stand the risk of being 2HKOed.

Kangaskhan@Kangakhanite
Adamant, Scrappy
252 Attack/152 HP/100 Speed
Power-Up Punch/Sucker Punch/Earthquake/Return

I had 252 HP previously, but eventually found that the lack of speed tended to cost me games, so I tried kd24's spread. It doesn't outspeed other Kanga as often now thanks to most of them running max speed, but it does some nice things like just barely tank a Charizard-Y's Fire Blast and OHKO with Return in return, whilst X gets bowled by Return + Sucker Punch. I probably haven't been aggressively picking her as often as I should have, though. Her sub-breaking utility is very handy for things like Heatran.

Talonflame@Choice Band
Adamant, Gale Wings
80 HP/252 Attack/176 Speed
Brave Bird/Flare Blitz/U-Turn/Will-o-Wisp (Considering Sleep Talk)

Choice Band Brave Birds ad nauseum, lures in Rotom leads for Megazard X, takes out weakened setup sweepers, etc. U-turn is good for scouting if I decide to lead with it.

Garchomp@Lum Berry
Jolly, Rough Skin
Outrage/Earthquake/Stone Edge (Testing Rock Tomb at the moment)/Swords Dance

I... Haven't actually had a lot of use for this guy. He's fast and strong and all, but tends to be stopped by those Cresselia running rampant. He's seen use setting up on Rotom leads, but I find Megazard X tends to do that role better. Due to a Rock Tomb Garchomp stopping my Charizard X's Dragon Dance sweep, I'm testing that over Stone Edge, but I've not found the opportunity to actually use it. I'm thinking of replacing him with Latios when Pokebank opens. (It's open in PAL regions now, though...)

Aegislash@Life Orb
Quiet, Stance Change, 0 Speed IV
252 Attack/252 Special Attack/4 HP
Shadow Ball/Shadow Sneak/King's Shield/Sacred Sword

Almost in the team solely for those darned lunar ducks, but has its uses against Skarmory. Once in a blue moon, he might catch a Garchomp off guard with a successful Shadow Ball+Shadow Sneak routine. Useful in the right situations, but often overshadowed by the other setup sweepers. Considering replacing him for Mega Mawile if I bring in Latios, as I have always wanted to try the Latios/Mawile core.

Overall, it's been a rather topsy-turvy experience on the ladder. I can shoot straight into the 1700s, but fall into the 1500s with little notice. With this team at least, I can somewhat consistently stay in the 1700s, but the amount of unexpected things and bad luck you sometimes run into can just eat your rating for breakfast.

Miscellaneous things I've tried:

AVmarill has been great for checking things like Charizard Y and Goodra. Also serves as pretty much a hard counter to Hydreigon.

I've tried a Fire Fang Mawile with both Swords Dance and Substitute in the final slot. It's a matter of preference, but both have their merits. I think I prefer the Sub version overall however, as it eases prediction and protects against status that can stop your sweep cold.

I'd like to try Togekiss sometime, considering Calm versions. Although, in this metagame scarf air slash seems pretty dirty. I've had my entire team flinch-haxed to death by one, and it didn't help that my first Pokemon was Breloom who of course took the hit and flinched.

How does Azumarill check Yzard? One Solar Beam and you're done.
AVmarill = Assault Vest Azumarill. Calculations below at level 50:

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 28 HP / 228 SpD Assault Vest Azumarill: 100-118 (55.8 - 65.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 102-122 (66.2 - 79.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y in Sun: 50-62 (32.4 - 40.2%) -- 100% chance to 3HKO

He tanks the Solar Beam and a combination of Waterfall + Aqua Jet (In sun!) finishes off Y. Not a perfect chance though, something like 93%. Granted, without the Assault Vest Solar Beam still maxes out at 98.3% with this spread, so if you want to go the Splash Plate route...

Edit: Although, looking at the calcs again, Charizard Y needs two absolute single lowest damage rolls for both attacks to survive, meaning a 1/16 chance for both attacks. If I have my maths right, the chances of that happening is something in the realm of 0.39%?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)