First Atempt of a Team. =/

Well I have played Pokemon for a while now realy just battled my brothers, I have know about ev training and Smogon but, I just discovered Pokemon Showdown and created a team and would like some feedback.
252-HP 252-Sdef 4-Atk
-Nature- Careful.
-Item- leftovers.
-Ability- Protean.
-Moves- Stealthrock.
Recover.
Knock Off.
Brick Break.

So the leftovers are when idk what item to use i just put that on. :P
The ability Protean seemed better than colorchange, Manly just so Brick Break, and Knock Off would be stab and i can change my type to what i want, not for the enemy to do so.
The moves seem simple Stealthrock for swichins of cores, Recover for healing, Knock Off and Brick Break for spamming and breaking nasty screens. All the real input for him he has been working realy well sooo yeah.

252-SpA 252-Spe 4-Def
-Nature- Modest.
-Item- Gengarite
-Ability- Levitate. (of-cores)
-Moves- Shadowball.
Sludge Bomb.
Focus-Blast.
Destiny Bond.

So Gengar Special Sweeper Spaming Shadowball is realy all I do with this guy I have the mega stone for fun don't think i will keep it on him, I might just put a life orb on him. The moves Shadowball is just a good stab move, Sludge Bomb same thing,Focus-Blast works well for killing Excadrill, and most rock types Destiny bond I don't realy know why I have it never used it :P don't know what to replace it with, would
like some suggestions.

252-Spe 252-Atk SpD-4
-Nature- Adamant.
-Item- AirBalloon.
-Ability- Mold-Breaker.
-Moves- Rapidspin.
Ironhead.
Rockslide.
Earthquake.

Excadrill Rapidspinner, thats realy what he is for Rapidspin and killing other Excadrill thats what the speed ev's are for most seem to use HP but maby i can split hp and speed idk, Ironhead for the new fairy types I guess, Rock slide for if they want to swich into Mr. Galewing, Earthquake for other Excadrill.
Thats it for him realy.

252-HP 252-Def 4-SpD
-Nature- Impish.
-Item- Black Sludge.
-Ability- BattleArmor
-Moves- Toxic Spikes.
Crunch.
Earthquake.
Wirlwind.

Drapion I have always liked this thing and wanted a tank to absorb other Toxic Spikes.He has Battle Armor so I don't get crit setting up spikes, and spaming wirlwind.Earthquake I realy don't like Excadrill and Earthquake fits on most pokes anyways, Wirlwind for pissing people off :P. Toxic Spikes yeah they're for being annoying.

252-HP 252-SpD 4-Def
-Nature- Calm.
-Item- Leftovers.
-Ability- Levitate
-Moves- Hydropump
Painsplit
Voltswitch
Will-O-miss

Rotom-wash just seemed like a good poke to throw in he is always good so why not.
Leftovers its just for selfhealing. Will-o-wisp burn any physical threat, Voltswitch see what they want to do and just to do damage after switching, Hydropump kill Talonflame and others, Painsplit he doesn't get other heals except rest.

252-Atk 252-Spe 4-Def
-Nature- Adamant.
-Item- Medichamite.
-Ability- Pure Power.
-Moves- High Jump Kick
Fake-Out
Drain-Punch
Psycho Cut

Medicham This guy is awesome kills every thing he touches. The item just to make him even stronger duh.
Fake Out use it to break sashes and make it easier to kill the poke I am fighting, Drain Punch heal up after a kill, High Jump Kick strong thats it, Psycho Cut KO all the apposing fighters.

So thats my team, never done this before so be gentle. I have played with this team i have trouble if a Volcarona is lead and just sets up idk what to do in that situation havent realy had trouble with other things but would like you to point out big flaws. Anyways thanks in advance. ;)

I think it's fine that you have 2 megas. They open up your options. If it were me though i'd run Blissey over Kecleon. I know Bliss can't get SR yet so using Kecleon is fine for now. But Bliss just does what your Kecleon does but better.

I think it's fine that you have 2 megas. They open up your options. If it were me though i'd run Blissey over Kecleon. I know Bliss can't get SR yet so using Kecleon is fine for now. But Bliss just does what your Kecleon does but better.
Yeah I might use Blis but kelceon also does alot more damage and can counter espeon with brickbreaking her screens and knockoff can 1 ko her sometimes. still might try her.

I just have one quick suggestion. Replace Crunch with Knock Off on drapion. Because of the buff, knock off reachs 97 BP if the opponent is holding an item, and also removes said item, which fits well with your more utility focused set.

You have a solid starting point for making a potentially great team. However, there are several things that need some adjustment. Good job for a first team. Here is what I suggest (WARNING-very long):

1. Do not have 2 mega evolutions, it wastes an item that could potentially really benefit your Pokemon more than a mega-evo. The gengar you have is very good, there are two major changes I would make however. The first Being it's item, which should instead be choice scarf which will actually make Gengar faster than its mega counterpart.[edit: life orb is also a good choice] Next I would give it hidden power Ice instead of destiny bond as to have way more coverage, which is so crucial because your team is incredibly weak to dragons which brings me to the second point.

2. Use Mega Lucario instead of medicham. Mega lucario is overall much faster and has more offensive potential then Medicham. Medicham is really like lucario's little sister. In addition to more speed though, you also still need something to cover dragons and having 2 fighting moves is rather redundant so I would go with the set below for lucario.

Lucario-Mega (F) @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Punch
- Extreme Speed
- Drain Punch
- Swords Dance

This lucario is a much more diverse and faster sweeper than the Medicham you are currently using. With SD in its set, there is much to gain from using this Lucario instead of Medicham.

3. Give rotom the EV spread 252HP/184Def/72Satk. You will be using rotom much more often to counter mega-kangashkans and Talonflames so you will need more defense then Special Def. and some extra Satk points to ensure rotom-W actually gets the KO instead of just weakening your opponents pokemon. You should also give it a Timid nature as R-W is very slow and will enjoy the speed boost very much.

4. Use Ferrothorn instead of Excadrill. This is the most drastic change you need to make. This is because you really don't need another physical sweeper, you need more defense. Use the following set to ensure you get more defense without losing any coverage:

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Thunder Wave
- Leech Seed
- Seed Bomb/Power Whip
- Gyro Ball

Gyro ball and seed bomb/power whip really cover most of what you were trying to accomplish with Excadrill and ferrothorns defense make it an amazing addition to your team as you desperately need a wall with multiple resistances to defend from your opponents attacks while also dealing out your own.

[edit: I realize your need for a spinner but I honestly think your team doesn't need one that badly, but whatever works for you is what you should do]

5. Replace Drapion with Scoliopede. Scoliopede is literally just Draipion 2.0, you are gonna want to basically keep everything the same, just switch to Scoliopede and adjust some things to match. Use speed boost instead of battle armor which is a much better ability as it makes revenge killing super hard, and since it doesn't learn crunch give it Megahorn (or X-Scissor if you want more accuracy). I would also consider investing effort values into the attack stat, but that's just me...

6. Last suggestion is with your lead- Keckleon. Invest in using Blissey instead. It is really just an improvement of what you already have on Keckleon. Here is the set I suggest:

Blissey (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 Satk / 252 HP / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Flamethrower
- Stealth Rock
- Aromatherapy

Huge support pokemon for your team, with wish passing and aromatherapy your other pokemon will be on their knees thank Blissey for its generosity. Not only that, but you still have stealth rocks to annoy your opponent with and flamethrower to ensure you aren't left defenseless and give you some added coverage against slow steel types.

[Edit: bro I really suggest you do this one even though I know keckleon is working for you, I know from experience that blissey is boss]

Overall: Great starting point, the biggest reoccurring problem I see is your selection of pokemon. You have the right idea, but there are several pokemon that execute what your pokemon do with much more precision than what you have chosen. I highly suggest replacing certain pokemon without ruining the general concept of what you already have. Remember that a good idea is useless unless properly executed. I am genuinely impressed with your ideas for a team, but for next time you really must consider who is the most well equipped for the task at hand. Good luck and take care, I hope I could help. :D

P.s. You might be reluctant to change up your roster so much, I know this is very overwhelming and a lot of info to take in, but I have several years of knowledge and while I cannot force you to consider every aspect of my team rating I highly encourage you to at least try 2 or 3 of the points I have made above. Anyway, GL&HF.

Last edited:
I think it's good that you are running two megas, it opens up your options if you see that you have gotten rid of the biggest threat to either of them.
I'll just give you my general run around:
-Kecleon is interesting, as it can cripple walls that rely on items, break screens, and set up rocks.
-Gengar is good, but I've ran destiny bond, and it really hasn't done much as I've used him. He is also perfect for spin block support.
-Excadrill is the standard set which puts some teams in ruins, I like the iron head as it easily disposes of Fairy pokemon.
-Drapion is really good with whirlwind and it's easy to surprise opponents when they try to switch.
-I agree with Basileus about giving Rotom-W this spread: 252HP/184Def/72Satk, in order to counter other megas (Mawile, Kangaskan, etc.)
-I would consider dropping High-Jump Kick or Drain Punch for Ice Punch on Medicham, as you have a huge dragon weakness.

It's a really good start, and as you play with it you'll see the things that you are lacking.

In honesty, I'm not a fan of Mega Gengar. While it is my personal preference, there are some legitimate concerns to having it on your team, mainly being 2 megas on your team. Also, some people seem to forget this, but Gengar loses one of his most important abilities when he mega evolves: Levitate. Now, you pretty much have 3 weaknesses to ground and 1 check, rather than 2 weaknesses to ground and 2 checks. It would be more profitable for you to drop the mega stone and equip a Life Orb to Gengar, as your set doesn't take any advantage of Shadow Tag (a.k.a. no Perish Song) and the fact that Gengar with Life Orb hits harder than Mega Gengar.

Wow thank you all for the support, I will consider most of all these suggestions, but I think I'm standing by my little Kelceon I just love him to much. I am however going to do the split 252HP/184Def/72Satk spread on my Rotom-w. Well thanks again. :D

(and also what would I replace whirlwind with on Scolipede?)

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)