Berry Research

Are you interested in berry research?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Yield for the EV berries is astonishingly varied. Within one 6-berry yield (no mulch) I got 3, 6, 8, 9, 12, 14.

EDIT: All Tamato, for those wondering.

I planted 36 Chople berries. 18 had no mulch, 18 had Rich Mulch. I watered them as soon as they had dried out and weeded about every 2-3 hours when awake.

NO MULCH: 8,6,6,6,7,7,7,9,6,7,7,6,7,9,7,6,7,8 Range 6-9 Mean: 7 Median:7
RICH MULCH: 9,9,11,8,9,9,8,8,8,10,10,9,9,8,8,9,10,11 Range 8-11 Mean: 9.0555 Median: 9

I think I will do my next round with EV-reducing berries. I have two more games (Y and a second copy of X). I'd like to get them going this weekend for more berry fun.

Berries take longer than 16 days to wilt. I'm not gonna wait for 30 days, so I'm removing them and moving on to something else.

Berries take longer than 16 days to wilt. I'm not gonna wait for 30 days, so I'm removing them and moving on to something else.
If they don't wilt after 16, I'm going to make a calculated guess that they never wilt. If GF's been "dumbing down" the grind-ish aspects of the game, then berry farming probably falls under the same category and they've just removed the "wait and you lose" part of farming.

If they don't wilt after 16, I'm going to make a calculated guess that they never wilt. If GF's been "dumbing down" the grind-ish aspects of the game, then berry farming probably falls under the same category and they've just removed the "wait and you lose" part of farming.
Except the man who teaches you how to farm berries says that they wilt after time. The guy in the house.

I planted 36 Tamato berries. 18 had no mulch, 18 had Rich Mulch. I watered them as soon as they had dried out and weeded about every 2-3 hours when awake (except for one day I got sucked into calculating IV passing probabilities and forgot about them for 8 hours).

NO MULCH: 11,9,11,6,6,8,6,6,9,9,11,5,6,8,8,8,6,9 Range: 5-11 Mean: 7.89 Median: 8
RICH MULCH: 13,7,11,8,8,13,8,16,11,13,11,8,4,4,14,7,8,11 Range: 4-16 Mean: 9.72 Median: 9.5

The trees that gave 13+ berries had 5 flowers/berries on them instead of 3. Sometime between noon and 4 PM only one of my Rich Mulch berries had 5 flowers, but by the time it was 6:34 PM the other ones that gave 13+ berries had 5 flowers.

I'm mad about getting my lowest harvest with Rich Mulch. That's not cool! I might try comparing carefully tended Rich Mulch berries to not carefully tended (and regular, and boost too). I'm curious about that crazy range.

Maybe each berry has a different wilt time? I'm going to plant a Liechi berry and see when it withers. I just planted it now, for reference.

Maybe each berry has a different wilt time? I'm going to plant a Liechi berry and see when it withers. I just planted it now, for reference.
I suggest you don't. That's exactly what I tried doing, as well as seeing if rich mulch affected wilt times. Evidence suggests that it may take around 4 weeks or 30 days for a berry to wilt. It's not worth it.

In other news, I accidentally missed a cycle for watering my berries. Hope that doesn't mess things up too much.

I suggest you don't. That's exactly what I tried doing, as well as seeing if rich mulch affected wilt times. Evidence suggests that it may take around 4 weeks or 30 days for a berry to wilt. It's not worth it.

In other news, I accidentally missed a cycle for watering my berries. Hope that doesn't mess things up too much.
I'm not actually using all my spots so it's not really an issue.

Kee berry, watered 4 times, no mulch, no deweeding, no pest clearing: 2,1,1,1,1,1
Kee berry, watered 0,1,2,3 times, no mulch, no deweeding, no pest clearing: all of them gave me a yield of 1.

If someone knows how to contact serebii, please ask them where they got their information from and how accurate it is.

Last edited:
Where is the research, then? I haven't seen it anywhere.
serebii finished finding all the mutations before we did on this thread. The table in the first post has the mutations listed, and serebii has it on their site too. I don't know what else you'd be looking for.

Andrew

beep boop
is a Top Artist Alumnus
I looked through the thread and I didn't see this, so forgive me if I'm repeating anything~
It seems the minimum yield for EV reducing berries, using Growth (Boost) Mulch but no watering or weeding, is always 1. I planted 28 trees and this was true for all of them.
Using Rich Mulch on EV reducing berries, with no watering or weeding, resulted in 3 berries. I planted 8 trees with Rich mulch and all resulted in 3 berries.

Edit: Actually, I watered them all one time, right after i planted them, but then did not water or weed again

Updated the table with minimum yields of everything except lansat starf. It seems that rich mulch is always +2 to the original minimum yield.

Also, I noticed that it's supposed to be called Boost Mulch, not Growth Mulch... I can never remember that. Replacing all references to "growth" mulch to become "boost".

I've had a yield of 10 on the Kee Berry and Salac Berry before so I assume the same is possible on each berry in the same group. This was with Amaze mulch and regular watering and management, although it wasn't perfect since I do have to sleep and I was mostly unavailable for one day. In this same batch the vast majority yielded 6, a few were 7, one 8 and one 10.

As for other berries, there were some I've gotten 20 on but I don't quite remember which ones since this was awhile ago..

So far, out of 8 harvests each for Lansat and Starf, I've observed that they are collectable after 120 hours and that they almost always yield 5 berries. I was using Amaze Mulch every time, and every tree yielded 5 berries. I also took care of them mostly but I wouldn't say perfectly, and I have 18 Lansats and 18 Starfs planted right now due to be gatherable tomorrow. I'll update once I harvest it.

Since interest in this topic has been dying down, I removed two objectives which required intensive amounts of data for only trivial information.

The goal now is to simply fill in the table with maximum yields for each mulch type. I have already found all the minimums by myself.

I can almost guarantee that, with Amaze Mulch, the maximum yield Lansat and Starf berries will have is 5 per tree. This was tested with 24 trees each, and I obtained 5 berries per tree every single time.

The Liechi tree I planted on the 28th of November still hasn't withered. I'll update when it does, though I don't check it every single day so I might only give a range.

I can almost guarantee that, with Amaze Mulch, the maximum yield Lansat and Starf berries will have is 5 per tree. This was tested with 24 trees each, and I obtained 5 berries per tree every single time.
I had over 90% of my lansats yield 5 as well.

I hypothesize that the yield is determined independently of the berry's maximum, and is just capped to the maximum in the end. For example, the combination of the amount of care you take of the berry and the random variation gives you an expected yield of 11 berries, however it ends up reduced to 5 because that is the maximum for a lansat tree.

The random variation makes this too annoying to test though. Based on what I've seen and what's been reported so far, the random variation seems to be a bell-curve.

I had over 90% of my lansats yield 5 as well.

I hypothesize that the yield is determined independently of the berry's maximum, and is just capped to the maximum in the end. For example, the combination of the amount of care you take of the berry and the random variation gives you an expected yield of 11 berries, however it ends up reduced to 5 because that is the maximum for a lansat tree.

The random variation makes this too annoying to test though. Based on what I've seen and what's been reported so far, the random variation seems to be a bell-curve.
That's what I figured too, as it seems Lansat and Starf can do fine with less care than the other berries since their maximum is lower.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)