Other Critical Hits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't get me wrong, rain abuse physical kingdra is way better than anything a crit set could do

But the point of crit is to ignore the sp atk drop. The set you mentioned only gets to drop draco meteor once. The sniper crit set deals more damage and can keep firing them off.

Perhaps sticky web and a few more spd evs will negate the need for agility as secondary set up.

When looking at this set, don't think of focus energy as some gimmick set up move. Think of it like a one time use nasty plot that prevents sp atk to decreasing.
Scolipede can boost and pass all in one, but the problem with getting a crit set working is that; all the Pokemon that are part of the set are susceptible to priority making it a weak opening strat where it would best benefit from the initial momentum, while in late game there are arguably better boosting options. That said with the nerf to weather I think Critdra is one of Kingdras better late game sets, it can't rely on SS to be activated anymore so trading sweep potential for raw unmitigatable damage seems like a good way to go with kingdra.

Don't get me wrong, rain abuse physical kingdra is way better than anything a crit set could do

But the point of crit is to ignore the sp atk drop. The set you mentioned only gets to drop draco meteor once. The sniper crit set deals more damage and can keep firing them off.

Perhaps sticky web and a few more spd evs will negate the need for agility as secondary set up.

When looking at this set, don't think of focus energy as some gimmick set up move. Think of it like a one time use nasty plot that prevents sp atk to decreasing.
Under the rain Kingdra gets boosted water moves which can be combined with the regular 1,5 critical damage increase and you also get an extra speed boost from Swiftswim. Sniper hits harder but lacks speed, Swift Swim + Focus Energy allows you to spam Draco Meteor and spam Hydro Pump/Surf at high speeds.
Sniper with Sticky Web support sounds great.

I've been playing with SSCloyster in the Battle Mansion and I'm definitely doing more damage after a smash with a crit. Can anyone else confirm?

People are way too focused on getting FE on a Poke that already does well enough offensively. what about "focus passing" to things like Super Luck Honchcrow or Skill Link Cloyster? Scarf/OrbKrow and SmashCloyster are my main points because Krow has a hugely diverse movepool to take advantage of 100% crit rate, and even at 50%(possibly 100% with a scope, though I wouldn't recommend this with Cloyster being weak to 3/5 of the popular priority moves {thinking on it more 50% crit would be best on a smashing cloyster as about half your hits are either +2 or a crit, also leaving Razor shell a semi-reliable coverage move with 100% crit}) there is very little that can stand up to RB/IS and reliably KO back.

This new and much improved FE can be seen as a way of getting some extra omph out of pokes may not have fared well even with boosts and especially any poke with an abusable multi-hitting move.
Or you could use a Scope Lens Pokemon as a recipient. DM Kyurem or Dragalge? Overheat Infiltrator Chandelure? Psycho Boost Deoxys-S?

SOOO... I haven't looked into this at all, but does Kangaskhan's Parental Bond double up stat moves or just attack moves? Because IF it does stat moves, FE would give Kang full crit in one turn. Not bad. Especially if you know your opponent is gonna set up some defenses or something.

Also, looking at some stuff for Pokebank, these little gems popped out at me:

Haxorus @ Scope Lens
Jolly, 252 Att / 252 Speed / 4 HP
Mold Breaker
- Focus Energy
- Super Power
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw (STAB) / Poison Jab (For Fairy Coverage like Togekiss and Azumarill)

Mold Breaker / Full crits will hit through just about everything BUT Eviolite (maybe... might do that too, results pending). On top of that, abuse of Superpower with only def. backlash, on top of a great STAB and the universal EQ.

Point: Swords Dance is better than Focus Energy, + you can have a different item like LO or Choice Band/Scarf.

Counter Point: Sure. The idea behind this set is to walk through anything with Mold Breaker and Full Crit. With this guy, no amount of set up can stop you, and that's the point. It's a variation on a theme.

Flygon @ Scope Lens
Stats... DIY
- Super Power
- Draco Meteor
- Roost / Poison Jab
- Focus Energy

Heavy hitting mix sweeper... except fairies if you use Roost rather than PJab. Yup.

Last edited:
SOOO... I haven't looked into this at all, but does Kangaskhan's Parental Bond double up stat moves or just attack moves? Because IF it does stat moves, FE would give Kang full crit in one turn. Not bad. Especially if you know your opponent is gonna set up some defenses or something.
Focus Energy only works once until you switch out, and is impossible to be used twice under any circumstances.

Kingdra
Modest - Sniper
Scope Lens
252 hp / 4 sp def / 252 sp atk

Focus Energy
Hydro Pump/Scald
Draco Meteor
Hidden Power Poison

With a dedicated baton passer of focus energy and maybe agility such as scizor or smeargle (or a chain from a speed booster), you can hopefully ignore the issue with setting up, but even then, pass chains are susceptible to phaze etc.
Speed Boost Scolipede is probably one of the bulkiest and fastest Baton Pass users around. By passing Kingdra a few Speed Boosts and an Iron Defence or two from Scolipede, you can free up the Agility slot for...

...Hidden Power Poison?

Yep, that's right. Hidden Power Poison. As noted above, Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd by Sniper-crit Draco Meteor, so hitting it for neutral or better isn't a concern. The thing about Hidden Power Poison is that Sniper Kingdra here no longer needs Rain support to take out Azumarill, since autocrit HP Poison is a guaranteed 2HKO, with an almost guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (I dunno how to get the damage calculator to factor in Stealth Rock.)

Speed Boost Scolipede is probably one of the bulkiest and fastest Baton Pass users around. By passing Kingdra a few Speed Boosts and an Iron Defence or two from Scolipede, you can free up the Agility slot for...

...Hidden Power Poison?

Yep, that's right. Hidden Power Poison. As noted above, Ferrothorn is 2HKO'd by Sniper-crit Draco Meteor, so hitting it for neutral or better isn't a concern. The thing about Hidden Power Poison is that Sniper Kingdra here no longer needs Rain support to take out Azumarill, since autocrit HP Poison is a guaranteed 2HKO, with an almost guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (I dunno how to get the damage calculator to factor in Stealth Rock.)
You might as well run HP Electric for the same effect with the added benefit of not being as much of a deadweight on the switch due to having better coverage overall. I mean, unless you're super worried about Sylveon and Florges (lol).

With HP Electric, the entire set is resisted by Whimsicott. Not that Whimsicott is all that common, and its Sp. Def isn't particularly amazing enough that it can eat Hydro Pump without concern, despite its resistance. Although, if you really want to use Grass/Fairy as a special wall typing (a trait it's actually fairly good at in regards to resistances), you could use an Assault Vest. And while Florges is pretty useless in singles, Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can be worthy of concern.

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
You might as well run HP Electric for the same effect with the added benefit of not being as much of a deadweight on the switch due to having better coverage overall. I mean, unless you're super worried about Sylveon and Florges (lol).

A crit'd Hydro Pump still 2HKOs Azumarill and pretty much every single fairy type even without rain support. You might as well run Surf on the 4th moveslot when you don't want to gamble with accuracy. Draco Meteor will 2HKO at worst everything else not named Chansey or Blissey. Even Ferrothorn isn't safe.

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill on a critical hit: 216-253 (53.4 - 62.6%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges on a critical hit: 190-225 (52.7 - 62.5%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Whimsicott on a critical hit: 154-183 (47.5 - 56.4%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 157-184 (44.6 - 52.2%)

Last edited:
With HP Electric, the entire set is resisted by Whimsicott. Not that Whimsicott is all that common, and its Sp. Def isn't particularly amazing enough that it can eat Hydro Pump without concern, despite its resistance. Although, if you really want to use Grass/Fairy as a special wall typing (a trait it's actually fairly good at in regards to resistances), you could use an Assault Vest. And while Florges is pretty useless in singles, Sylveon and Mega Gardevoir can be worthy of concern.
Whimsicott is an annoyer, the reason you use it is because of that support from Encore, Leech Seed, Memento, etc. Don't run Assault Vest Whimsicott, ever.
A crit'd Hydro Pump still 2HKOs Azumarill and pretty much every single fairy type even without rain support. You might as well run Surf on the 4th moveslot when you don't want to gamble with accuracy. Draco Meteor will 2HKO at worst everything else not named Chansey or Blissey. Even Ferrothorn isn't safe.

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill on a critical hit: 216-253 (53.4 - 62.6%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Florges on a critical hit: 190-225 (52.7 - 62.5%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Whimsicott on a critical hit: 154-183 (47.5 - 56.4%)

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Draco Meteor vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 157-184 (44.6 - 52.2%)
I kinda want to be running HP Fire looking at that last calc. Can't check because mobile, but crit HP Fire would guarantee a 2HKO at the very least (I'm thinking more in the OHKO range after hazards, but better safe than sorry).

Garchompi

Banned deucer.
Yeah against standard Ferrothorn HP Fire is a clean OHKO. HP Fire is probably the best option assuming no rain support (with that Hydro Pump 2HKOs).

252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 384-456 (109 - 129.5%)
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 208 SpD Ferrothorn in Rain on a critical hit: 198-234 (56.2 - 66.4%)
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hidden Power Fire vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn on a critical hit: 336-402 (95.4 - 114.2%)
252+ SpA Sniper Kingdra Hydro Pump vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Ferrothorn in Rain on a critical hit: 175-207 (49.7 - 58.8%)

Thanks to the buff to critical hit chance (even if the overall power of crits are reduced) I'm intensely tempted to use Unfezant for all them crits in NU. I ran a very similar set in BW NU and dear god it was effective. Now, thanks to the fact that Unfezant gets Night Slash as an egg move, Ghosts don't wall it dead either. Couple that with the fact it got 10 base Attack boost, bringing to a rather impressive 115... Stuff gets wrecked. Badly.

Unfezant @ Scope Lens
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature, 242Atk/252Spe/4HP
-Return
-Night Slash
-Quick Attack
-Work Up

Fun stuff. Night Slash is a 100% crit chance which is fun, Return and Quick Attack are 50% chance. With Adamant, you hit a pretty nice Attack stat of 361. With Jolly you miss out on fun little 2HKOs on extremely bulky things (I'll get to calcs in a bit). All that Speed lets you outrun neutral Base 120s. Work Up, I have to say, is rather necessary. I'm not even going to lie, without at least +1 in Attack it's a little disappointing. But when you get that +1, here's some of the fun you can have:

(Before you ask, YES. I am using the Gen 6 calc)

+1 252+ Atk Unfezant Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Dusclops on a critical hit: 138-164 (48.5 - 57.7%)
Yeah, that is a high potential 2HKO on one of the bulkiest things you'll come across. What about an Uber? Let's take a look:

+1 252+ Atk Unfezant Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Multiscale Lugia on a critical hit: 104-123 (25 - 29.5%)
+1 252+ Atk Unfezant Night Slash vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Lugia on a critical hit: 208-246 (50 - 59.1%)

Slightly disappointing I guess, barely missing out on a 2HKO on the mother of bulk itself. Oh, but we have Quick Attack which can take between 20-25% off the big bird after Multiscale is broken... Basically guaranteeing this thing is gone in 3 shots. From Unfezant. With the greatest bulk possible.

By the way, in the Lugia example crit Return hits a hell a lot harder, but because it's not a 100% crit chance I didn't mention it.

Now, let's not talk about Unfezant's ability to beat Rock types... Or its ability to take a hit...

Since we've started to talk about Super Luck pokemon like Unfezant, I should be noted that while none of them can learn Focus Energy, they can all use Lansat Berry to boost their Critical Ratio to 100%. The problem is that, barring Togekiss (who has access to Nasty Plot), the potential users of Super Luck are quite fragile. Lansat is also a way of passing the critical boost with baton passers that lack Focus Energy.

Yeah

Now if Lansat Berry still gives +2 stages of Critical hit ratio....

Scolipede @ Lansat Berry
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Jolly
178 HP/78 Atk/252 Spe

Substitute/Iron Defense/Swords Dance
Protect
Baton Pass
Poison Tail/Megahorn

the strategy works like regular baton passing, but instead of using swords dance you sub down to get a lansat boost and either use it with Poison tail/another attack for 100% Crit chance tail/50% crit chance Megahorn(assuming lansat gives +2 stages of crit ratio) or you get to pass off the crit boost (because it is passable) and speed boost to an ally that can abuse it (Like Kingdra or Hydreigon maybe?).

This set can be extremely devastating in Lower tiers, and in higher tiers if talonflame hard hitting priority is dealt with or you're able to pull it off against an unsuspecting lead
already looked into that and so far the only thing that can do that well is Scolipede and Possibly Drifblim (even though I feel like weakness policy is ALOT better on drifblim)

other candidates like Accelgor/Ambipom/Volbeat are underwhelming with this

Ninjask activating Lansat with Substitute could do it from time to time I guess. Drifblim actually learns Focus Energy if you you want to combine that with Weakness Policy.

Been having too much fun with Super Luck Absol, so much better than Unfezant.

Absol @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature, 252Atk/252Spe/4HP
-Night Slash
-Psycho Cut
-Stone Edge
-Superpower

Night Slash, Psycho Cut and Stone Edge are really nice 100% crit moves (unless SE misses...). Using the high-crit moves basically gives you a Choice Band with the Choice Scarf, with the added advantage of beating defense boosters (lol bye Sigilyph, chance for 1HKO on max Defense). Everything in the game is hit for at least neutral damage from these four moves and a ridiculous portion of the game are 2HKOed. The above calcs for Lugia and Dusclops in the Unfezant review are basically the same for Absol (at +0!). Superpower doesn't get crit all the time but it deals with Rocks and Steels nicely.

The best part is you can feign a Mega Absol so they won't risk tossing status your way. Unless they don't know what Magic Bounce is. Or they see through your ruse.
Scarf outspeeds basically anything other than, you know, faster Scarfers. And Mega Alakazam. Damn he fast.

So yeah. Favourite crit abuser. For all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)