Pokémon Azumarill

Status
Not open for further replies.
Completely non-invested Greninja? Well there goes that idea.

Although it's already listed as an option a splash plate seems to work fine and gives him the option of bluffing a choice band.

Injecting myself into the sitrus berry topic for a second, here's talonflame:

252 Atk (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 172-204 (42.57 - 50.49%) -- 94.53% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I think it's a good idea to carry a sitrus berry in most cases.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Injecting myself into the sitrus berry topic for a second, here's talonflame:

252 Atk (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 172-204 (42.57 - 50.49%) -- 94.53% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I think it's a good idea to carry a sitrus berry in most cases.
You should calc this with an Adamant nature, which is what almost every Talonflame uses.

As for item choices on the Belly Drum set, there are only two good enough to work an a regular basis: Leftovers and Mystic Water. Leftovers makes Azumarill useful even at the early stages of the game, pivoting against resisted hits and softening a bit its checks and counters, or revenge killing stuff with Aqua Jet. Also, as DTC said sweeping with Belly Drum should never be the primary goal of Azumarill, just an afterthought if the situation allows it. On the other hand, Mystic Water allows Azumarill to OHKO some Pokemon that resist Aqua Jet or Waterfall at +6, making it much easier to sweep. Here are some calcs:
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Starmie: 218-257 (83.52 - 98.46%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Greninja: 264-311 (92.3 - 108.74%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Rotom-W: 180-212 (74.38 - 87.6%) -- 6.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock and almost sure OHKO after two SR rounds
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 230-271 (69.48 - 81.87%) -- 56.25% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 208+ Def Ferrothorn: 233-275 (66.19 - 78.12%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
  • +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 248 HP / 252+ Def Tentacruel: 357-421 (98.34 - 115.97%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Sitrus Berry and Lum Berry have their uses but are too situational and more importantly are tied with the mindset that Belly Drum Azumarill has sweeping as its main purpose, which is not the right approach.

The problem with Belly Drum Azumarill is that if you don't run a Sitrus Berry on it, anything faster that can stomach a +6 Aqua Jet can easily revenge kill it.

For some perspective, the frail Greninja survives a +6 Aqua Jet and OHKOes Azumarill with Grass Knot after the HP loss from Belly Drum;

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 0 HP / 0 Def (custom): 220-259 (77.19 - 90.87%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

168 SpA Life Orb (custom) Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 244-291 (60.39 - 72.02%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Life Orb (custom) Grass Knot (60 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Azumarill: 265-312 (65.59 - 77.22%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Just wondering, are the grass knot calcs factoring protean?

You should calc this with an Adamant nature, which is what almost every Talonflame uses.
I was giving the bare minimum to make a point about sitrus berry. I'll calc with an adamant nature though:

252+ Atk (custom) Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 189-223 (46.78 - 55.19%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and Choice band D-nite

252+ Atk Choice Band Dragonite ExtremeSpeed vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Azumarill: 177-209 (43.81 - 51.73%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

That said I can see the benefits of mystic Water. Without a mystic water, 216+ Trevenant can switch in and have a chance to survive even after stealth rock:

+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def (custom): 141-166 (37.7 - 44.38%) -- 2.34% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

meanwhile with mystic water:

+6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 216+ Def (custom): 169-199 (45.18 - 53.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

and max Def: +6 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def (custom): 162-192 (43.31 - 51.33%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock

something to consider.

Last edited:
What about a belly drum Azumarill on a double battle? A klefki could lay down reflect and the other one ( the name escapes me), allowing Azumarill to live longer and deal out more damage.

What do you guys about moveset for BD Azumarill? What should I run on it : Brick Break or Superpower? Cuz my other 2 moves are Aqua Jet and Play Rough.

I'm running a BellyJet Azumarill. I have 252 ATK but I don't know where to put the other E.V.s. Should I have 252 HP, 252 Speed or something else?

Espeon dual screener is a great teammate for fluffy water belly bunny, after bellydrum he just wreks things and under some screen protection is very difficult to kill him....

So I've been running a BellyJet set for Azumarill and I'm wondering if it's the right thing to do

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant
Ability: Huge Power
252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Spe
-Aqua Jet
-Belly Drum
-Superpower
-Play Rough

So far, it's been hit or miss. After a Wobbuffet Encore, I can sometimes 6-0 an opponent, and other times I get completely shut down.

So I've been running a BellyJet set for Azumarill and I'm wondering if it's the right thing to do

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant
252 Atk/ 252 HP/ 4 Spe
-Aqua Jet
-Belly Drum
-Superpower
-Play Rough

So far, it's been hit or miss. After a Wobbuffet Encore, I can sometimes 6-0 an opponent, and other times I get completely shut down.
Going for 6-0 or bust isn't a good idea. Save the Belly Drum for when you've taken down Azumarill's counters.

Also, using Superpower alongside not only Belly Drum but also a Sitrus Berry for bulk seems counterproductive.

Going for 6-0 or bust isn't a good idea. Save the Belly Drum for when you've taken down Azumarill's counters.

Also, using Superpower alongside not only Belly Drum but also a Sitrus Berry for bulk seems counterproductive.
So what should i do? Replace Superpower with Brick Break or something? And even taking out the obvious threats to Azumarill doesn't always save me the victory, since something will have a move that'll completely shut it down

If you're holding off for the BD opportunity Superpower really only hurts Ferrothorn more than Waterfall which is still a 2HKO or thereabouts if I recall the calcs people did correctly. Water/Fairy has great coverage and that coverage isn't significantly improved by fighting (Empoleon and Ferrothorn are the only pokes you can't hit neutrally unless I'm missing something with an ability or w/e).

Personally I really like Sitrus Berry on Belly Drum Azumarill, admittedly my experience is mainly on wifi, but it generally makes it a lot easier to get belly drum off and/or survive hits after it, and people have posted calcs to back that up. Sure, my experience is hardly the most solid ground on which to say it, but dealing 75% to something with 100/80/80 defenses and HP investment before it takes you out at +6 isn't that easy. As someone who always considered Belly Drum "too risky", sitrus berry bd azu certainly swayed me a lot.

I also honestly disagree on it being "improper" to use Azumarill as a sweeper. If your team isn't built with that in mind then yeah, going for a sweep with belly drum azumarill shouldn't be your top priority (though in that case using belly drum at all is of questionable value), but given a little support it's perfectly capable of being used like that IMHO (and sitrus makes that strategy a lot less risky by reducing the things that can revenge kill it or deal enough damage to prevent belly drum).

Last edited:
I've been running this set in 2 vs 2 and it works a lot :) So good at the moment.

Azumarill @Sitrus Berry
EVs: 132 HP / 252 Attk / 124 Speed
Nature: Adamant
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Play Rough
- Waterfall

Look like while every1 is busy making a set for this bunny, I am preparing a pokemon to resist it. Anyway, I just try full defensive full HP Vileplume and it take all moves from azumarill like a champ. Grass resist all Azu's water moves and Poison take all fairy and fighting move without problem. Effect spore put Azumarill at risk whenever it trys to attack anyway.

Look like while every1 is busy making a set for this bunny, I am preparing a pokemon to resist it. Anyway, I just try full defensive full HP Vileplume and it take all moves from azumarill like a champ. Grass resist all Azu's water moves and Poison take all fairy and fighting move without problem. Effect spore put Azumarill at risk whenever it trys to attack anyway.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Waterfall vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Vileplume: 254-299 (71.75 - 84.46%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
Aqua Jet: 35.87 - 42.37% - This is a guaranteed 2HKO even with Black Sludge/Lefties

You'd only check it, and even then if they have 252HP + Sitrus (prevents a OHKO from Sludge Bomb very narrowly at worst - sitrus berry rocks), they might be able to 2HKO you with waterfall, I'm too lazy to do calcs on giga drain's healing etc. Effect Spore helps a bit but it's still not a safe switch in... At least for the belly drum set you're better of focussing on preventing it from using belly drum. Choice Band on the other hand should be check-able by much more practical pokemon.

While that could work as a check, just like Meteor said, a better one to shut Azumarill down would be Sableye. Prankster is an amazing ability and all you have to do is Taunt Azumarill so it can't Belly Drum, then use the status move of your choice to cripple is for the rest of the match.

I'm using Waterfall, play rough, aqua jet and belly drum but I'm really thinking on removing waterfall for super power for ferros... Is that crazy to do that?

I'm using Waterfall, play rough, aqua jet and belly drum but I'm really thinking on removing waterfall for super power for ferros... Is that crazy to do that?
No, it's not crazy to add Superpower. It's great for taking out Steel-types that try to switch in on Azumarill to take it out. I run the exact same set and it works amazingly.

I'd suggest finding another way to deal with ferro, as superpowers drops are rather costly especially to cover just two pokemon - ferrothorn and empoleon being the only two fully evolved pokemon that resist Water and Fairy (unless I've missed an ability on something else), as a neutral +6 waterfall from Azu will kill most everything anyway.

While that could work as a check, just like Meteor said, a better one to shut Azumarill down would be Sableye. Prankster is an amazing ability and all you have to do is Taunt Azumarill so it can't Belly Drum, then use the status move of your choice to cripple is for the rest of the match.
I don't know what Sableye is running but here's how I see it assuming the worst (252HP/252+Def):

First off, we can eliminate the possibility of anyone switching BD Azumarill into Sableye because that's stupid.

So,

Switching Sableye into Azumarill:
If you switch sableye in then they're probably drumming or have drummed already if you're revenging or whatever, in which case you're probably going to have to take a +6 aqua jet unless sableye now runs speed investment, and while it's not a guaranteed KO without prior damage or mysticwater, it's still not pretty:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 274-324 (90.13 - 106.57%) -- 43.75% chance to OHKO
If you're not running a defense nature then:
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Sableye: 301-355 (99.01 - 116.77%) -- 93.75% chance to OHKO

If you outspeed and WoW them:
+5 252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 240-283 (78.94 - 93.09%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
If you do that and they have mysticwater:
+5 252+ Atk Mystic Water Huge Power Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 288-340 (94.73 - 111.84%) -- 68.75% chance to OHKO

EDIT: Ooops burn halves, see Martingale's post below. Other calcs have been replaced with corrected versions.

So sending in Sableye is generally not a good idea if Azumarill has drummed or can drum on the switch. It might work against a leftovers/sitrus one with no speed investment, but even then you're going to sacrifice sableye without even taking it out.

Predicting the Switch, which I assume is what you're talking about because you mention priority Taunt:

If you predict a switchin and switch in sableye at the same time, and you taunt them, and they for whatever reason don't switch out in fear of status (perhaps carrying Lum), then I doubt they're also going to be unaware of prankster Taunt, so they'll attack. If you Taunt and they do this, you're dead:

252+ Atk Huge Power Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 308-366 (101.31 - 120.39%) -- guaranteed OHKO

That's with azumarill set as water/fighting using a 90bp fighting move on a dark-only sableye, to emulate STAB play rough hitting for SE damage.

So your best bet in this case is to go with priority WoW and hope that they for some reason left a non Lum Berry Azumarill in on something with priority status:
252+ Atk Huge Power burned Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 154-183 (50.65 - 60.19%) -- 85.94% chance to 2HKO, Aqua Jet: 11.18 - 13.48%
Neutral unboosted Aqua jet deals 22.69 - 26.97% to max hp/def sableye, so I guess this works given lefties and no prior damage, but you're relying on non-Lum Azumarill staying in on something that carries priority WoW, which is kinda dumb for someone to do.

Also if you mispredict the set and they're running choice band:
252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power burned Azumarill (Move 1) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 232-274 (76.31 - 90.13%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Basically, you reduce the threat it poses (though even burnt +6 is still very serious power) and make it easier to kill as a result, but are probably going to lose sableye in the process.

Maybe I've missed something but generally speaking it's not looking that good unless your opponent doesn't know what they're doing and/or you can predict real well, and Sableye is running Max HP/Def with a +Def Nature. Even then it doesn't work out like you've said, so help me out here?

As I see it the best way to handle BD Azu is to prevent it from belly drumming in the first place, generally by dealing enough damage that it can't (and the fact sitrus helps reduce the number of things that can do this to it is part of why I like it so much), seeing as it can stand most statuses that aren't sleep (which most people relying on BD Azu for sweeping should have something to absorb anyway). Otherwise, revenging it with something that can take a +6 Aqua Jet (or waterfall/play rough if slower) or something faster with strong enough priority is the best way to deal with it.

Last edited:
-snip-, long post about Azumarill vs Sableye
Just going to inform you that Burn is not a -1 drop, rather, it halves the effective attack stat.
+6 252+ Atk Huge Power burned Azumarill Aqua Jet vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Sableye: 137-162 (45 - 53.2%)
Which kind of allows it to Recover off damage (definitely with Leftovers) or switch in something capable of handling Azu. That said, Play Rough is still a clean 1HKO at +6 with a Burn.

Oh right, my bad. Thanks for letting me know. Why I didn't just use the burn option, I don't know. I'll get to fixing the calcs in my post now. EDIT: Done.

Still, if you're running 252/252+ you're at best going to speed tie unless they haven't stuck the spare 4 EV's or more into speed (plus play rough anyway like you said), so I wouldn't even rely on that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)