Consecutive Fishing!

If you decide to fish on Route 8, DOnt use the Super Rod.
Use good rod instead in order to avoid qwilfish.

I dont say Qwilfish is useless though; You can still trade them for mewtwos on the gts. However, Starmie (about 40% with good rod, but only like maybe 10% with super) is an almost guaranteed Articuno.
I'd rather wait for Pokebank to transfer an RNGed Mewtwo/Articuno. Instead, once I actually get Shinies in X (having REALLY bad luck chain fishing), I'll just trade them for Xerneas and hope I get a good one, rinse and repeat for the others, etc.

That's assuming I actually get a shiny anytime soon...

DougJustDoug

Knows the great enthusiasms
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Artistis a Programmeris a Forum Moderatoris a Top CAP Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
I have tried consecutive fishing twice.

The first time was in Azure Bay with a Good Rod hoping for a shiny Chinchou (even though it's mostly Remoraids there). I had a chain of 169, with no shiny.

The second time was just now in Parfum Palace with an Old Rod, hoping for a classic Golden Magikarp. Caught a shiny on my 13th cast!

So, I guess it just comes down to luck. I'll probably do some more consecutive fishing and see how it goes. After grinding through 160+ to no avail, I have to admit I was pretty despondent. But even a crappy Quiet Goldkarp changed everything in that regard!

Keep at it, and good luck!

Where is the fisherman that will tell you your best chain length? I'd be willing to test things relating to that, and my best chain (as of now) is 1, so I could test it easily.

I can say that getting on a bike does not affect your streak.

EDIT: Also, walking in an obstructed direction (i.e. fishing without using surf and walking towards the water) does not affect your streak.

I was playing my Y like a month ago, trying to get myself a shiny Dragonair. Instead, I managed to pull up a shiny Poliwhirl, and I caught it. :) I forget how many chains I had, but I could assume that it was from consecutive fishing.

Ahh shiny Fishing :) I have gotten A Shiny Clauncher, 2 Goldeens, and a Remoraid. I traded the Remoraid away for a Shiny Minccino because Shiny Octillery is just UGLY. Anyway if anybody wants a Shiny Goldeen for just a completely random Shiny (Besides Remoraid/Octillery :/) just let me know :)

Are there any signs that signal when the shiny will appear? I've been trying to chain for a Shiny Shellder (one chain of 162, one chain of 104, a few other chains ~50) but haven't had any luck. Am I just fishing in places where I don't even have a chance? I've heard some people say you have to fish in places where the water "sparkles", but I have no idea what that means...

Are there any signs that signal when the shiny will appear? I've been trying to chain for a Shiny Shellder (one chain of 162, one chain of 104, a few other chains ~50) but haven't had any luck. Am I just fishing in places where I don't even have a chance? I've heard some people say you have to fish in places where the water "sparkles", but I have no idea what that means...
No there is no signal or sign that says it will be shiny, you just fish and get lucky. A easy way to do it is if you just get rid of any and all distractions and focus on Fishing and running. I suggest getting a Malamar or Inkay with suction cups and putting smoke a guaranteed run away.

maybe i'm just lucky, but i can pretty much confirm that you can synchronize and suction cup. i put a fainted abra first, then a fainted gulpin (sticky hold works too), then my parasect catcher. i got multiple long chains, one of them 101 long, and never had one broken due to nothing biting. and the shiny basculin i caught was adamant, my abra's nature.

also, it seems that you can run from shinies and keep the chain going. i ran from a shiny poliwhirl, and five catches later ran into a shiny basculin. so if you are trying for a specific shiny and don't mind turning down a different one, there ya go.

After a few sessions of consecutive fishing, I have to say, I'm REALLY getting fed up with shiny Basculin using Final Gambit. They manage to break out of the Ultra Ball/Net Ball just fine, as if to say "No. I don't want to live" as they kill themselves.

After a few sessions of consecutive fishing, I have to say, I'm REALLY getting fed up with shiny Basculin using Final Gambit. They manage to break out of the Ultra Ball/Net Ball just fine, as if to say "No. I don't want to live" as they kill themselves.
Ouch, talk about shitty luck. It always sucks when you encounter Shinies that can either run away (Safari Zone pre-Gen VI or roaming legendaries), phase you out (Dragon Tail, Whirlwind, etc.), or can kill themselves (Memento, Self-Destruct, Final Gambit). It's like they're flipping the player off as they die/escape. >:( anyways, I'm not having much luck with finding a shiny Chinchou/Lanturn or a shiny Skrelp/Dragalge. I want both of them, but not having any luck with this Consecutive Fishing like I did with my not-impressively blue colored shiny Poliwhirl (now a beautiful green Poliwrath).

Ouch, talk about shitty luck. It always sucks when you encounter Shinies that can either run away (Safari Zone pre-Gen VI or roaming legendaries), phase you out (Dragon Tail, Whirlwind, etc.), or can kill themselves (Memento, Self-Destruct, Final Gambit). It's like they're flipping the player off as they die/escape. >:( anyways, I'm not having much luck with finding a shiny Chinchou/Lanturn or a shiny Skrelp/Dragalge. I want both of them, but not having any luck with this Consecutive Fishing like I did with my not-impressively blue colored shiny Poliwhirl (now a beautiful green Poliwrath).
I have been trying for a Shiny Chinchou and Clamperl...All I am getting is Shiny Remoraid...And Shiny Octillery is the ugliest shiny ever! I had one and nobody would take it for a Shiny Bidoof even :/ Until somebody was nice enough to give me a Shiny Barboach for it...

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Smeargle with Imprison/Final Gambit/Double Edge/False Swipe would help if you could be bothered training one up

edit: actually Smeargle will probably end up getting raped by max power Flails... Maybe try Aegislash? Immune to its attacks and can False Swipe it. Does Final Gambit still kill the user even if the target is immune (like Selfdestruct/Explosion)?

Last edited:
Smeargle with Imprison/Final Gambit/Double Edge/False Swipe would help if you could be bothered training one up

edit: actually Smeargle will probably end up getting raped by max power Flails... Maybe try Aegislash? Immune to its attacks and can False Swipe it. Does Final Gambit still kill the user even if the target is immune (like Selfdestruct/Explosion)?
Final Gambit does not faint the user if it misses--the text sort of implies the damage is done upon hitting the target, whereas Selfdestruct/Explosion imply the fainting happens regardless of effect on the opponent. In games effects reflect this.

So yeah, use a ghost type.

cant say

twitch.tv/jakecantsay
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Final Gambit does not faint the user if it misses--the text sort of implies the damage is done upon hitting the target, whereas Selfdestruct/Explosion imply the fainting happens regardless of effect on the opponent. In games effects reflect this.

So yeah, use a ghost type.
there you go sparktrain (thanks for the confirmation Kappaten)

On try 12 i caught a shiny, should i move and start over or can i keep chaining with the same odds that landed me my shiny????

My highest chain was 211. In that chain I found 1 shiny Seaking and 5 Shiny Gyarados. Didn't find what I was actually looking for though.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)