Lucario that was a mega.

Hello to you all. It's time. Time for my first 6th gen team to be posted as a RMT. Now, I'm aware that this team may be complete garbage, but that's why I'm posting it here. I'd like you guys to give me some advice, if there is something I can improve about the team. The team is built around Mega - Lucario, since I think it's an amazing pokemon, and close combat with +2 can kill even a Tangrowth (I did it, yay). So, without much talking, let's see them.

Smeargle @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Memento
Smeargle is my lead almost always, unless I see a Kangaskhan (seriously, ban this thing). If there is no stupid kangaroo around, I proceed to spore or put a hazard that's adequate to situation on the battlefield. Memento is just for making the sweeping of Lucario easier, since Smeargle is good at 2 things: setting hazards and dying. Well, everyone has it's destiny, right?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Lucario-Mega @ Lucarionite
Ability: Adaptability
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch

Now, here it is. My lovely Lucario. It's able to sweep entire team even at the beginning of the match. I made it full offensive, since with Jolly nature it gets 355 speed, which is enough to outspeed Gengar and things like Thundurus, which is not, obviously, scarfed. I choose Extreme Speed to be able to shut down Kangaskhan after +2 and 1 shot Talonflame. Other things die from Close Combat. The last move, Bullet Punch is for my beloved Cleafable, who likes to set up on me with Cosmic Power and think that it's safe. It's going smooth, right?

Volcarona @ Passho Berry
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 204 Def / 252 HP / 52 Spd
Bold Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Giga Drain
This thing. It's so easy to sweep with Volcarona, it nearly hurts. With Passho berry, I can survive a Hydro Pump from Starmie, and after one Quiver Dance I can get all my HP back (well, almost). I like how bulky it is and how easy it is to set it up. The only problem for her is Heatran. I simply cannot touch it, but my next pokemon helps with that.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef / 4 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Recover
- Infestation

Gastro here is here to tank and to trap. I've notice how popular now is Infestation and I decided to give it a try. It's pretty sweet to shut down things like Cofagrigus that still can be seen and just watching it rot to death. Gastrodon walls Rotom W and can heal WoW damage with Recover if Rotom wants to stay. If not, well, I can always switch. It's also a good counter to things like Goodra. I was wondering if swapping Scald with Toxic would be beneficial, but for now Scald works just okay.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Protect
- Toxic
- Substitute

Since I had no ground resistant pokemon, and my mixed wall and rapid spinner was weak to that, I decided to go with Gliscor. With Poison Heal he can stall to death even pokemon that would KO him, provided that his faster and I get the prediction. He walls Kangaskhan and can take 2 hits from +2 Talonflame. I might change Substitute to Taunt, but I'm not sure how it would work. Being able to stall with toxic is pretty awsome. Any suggestions?

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
EVs: 128 SDef / 252 HP / 128 Def
Calm Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Scald
- Knock Off

Right. I really don't like hazards in this generation, especially Sticky Web (of course, not when it's me who's setting them up). I needed a spinner, because somehow I'm used to sacrificing one slot for a pokemon who can use that move (thanks to 5th gen) and I really don't like Defog, since it removes hazards on both sides, and Gliscor can't learn it. Toxic Spikes are just to put pressure on the opposing team, with Knock Off being boosted I can make killing things like Chansey easier and Scald is for lucky burns. Nothing about this set is unusuall, and it's not meant to be.

Anyways, here's the team. It's not that I don't like it. It's just...I know it can be improved, that's why I'm asking you guys for advice.

That'll be all. Cheers.

An overall good team, but two suggestions.

1. Tentacruel, nerfed. It's hard to get anything going since weather pretty much screwed. I know the Black Sludge will help, but it won't its own. You need a different pokemon. The best bulky, rapid spinners is Exactadrill, Staryu, and Avalugg.

2. I used to use Stallscor, I personally use Trevenant now. Even though he has more weaknesses, he can live a fire punch or two.
Trevenant@ Sitrus Berry
Ability:Harvest
252 HP/252 SpD/4 Def
-Will-O-Wisp
-Leech Seed
-Substitute
-Protect

This works wonders, trolling a Roost Dragonite for 50 turns until I ran out of Protects.

Hi Team Rocket, that's a pretty good team. Your teams seems to use a couple of outdated threats such as Gastrodon and Tentacruel. Now they can't use their abilities quite so well. Here are some suggestions!

Bigger Issues:

1. You have a huge weakness to Kanghaskan (Is that how you spell it?), as you said when talking about Smeargle, and a way I think you could help with that is by replacing your Gliscor with Gourgeist. Gourgeist is a very versatile Pokemon because of it's great movepool. It can wall any Mega Kanghaskan that doesn't have Fire Punch, but with proper investment Gourgeist shouldn't have too much trouble. Gourgeist has a priority move in the form of Shadow Sneak, which is useful in picking off weakened sweepers. Will-o-Wisp gives you a way of neutering the many physical sweepers your team has trouble with. Gourgeist also blocks Rapid Spin for your team, which lets you preserve the hazards Smeargle set up.

2. As I mentioned earlier, two of your Pokemon are now ineffective. However, I don't want to change your team too much. Gastrodon is there to trap stalling Pokemon and counter Rotom-W. Tentacruel uses Rapid Spin for you, and I think there are better options. One of the best Rapid Spinners this generation is the newly unbanned Excadrill, specifically the Bulky Sweeper set. Excadrill can potentially replace both Tentacruel and Gastrodon, as with Mold Breaker, Excadrill can set up Swords Dance and Earthquake Rotom's face in, but only because of Mold Breaker. Excadrill also takes care of Volcarona's SR weakness too.

3. Now that you have an extra slot to fill, I'd suggest you fill it in with Noivern, as it can outspeed and Taunt many stalling Pokemon and hit hard at the same time, plus it can give you momentum with U-turn or heal up with Roost and hit things hard with Dragon Pulse and your coverage move of choice.

Nitpicks:

1. Memento on Smeargle is pretty stupid with the introduction of Parting Shot, so now your Smeargle doesn't automatically die at the start of the battle, potentially coming back in after Excadrill spins any hazards that would kill Smeargle to set Stealth Rock again.

2. You have 2 priority moves on your Lucario, so I think that you should replace the weaker one, Extreme Speed, with something that can take care of Talonflame and other Flying-types, which would be Ice Punch. Alternatively, you could run Blaze Kick to take care of Skarmory, but that really isn't necessary when you have Volcarona around to take care of it.

Well, I hope that was a good rate! Here are the new sets:

Gourgeist @ Leftovers
Size: Super
Ability: Frisk
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
- Will-o-Wisp
- Pain Split
- Seed Bomb
- Shadow Sneak

Excadrill @ Leftovers
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 176 HP / 52 Atk / 80 Def / 202 SpDef
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
- Rock Slide

Noivern @ Leftovers / Life Orb maybe?
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Taunt
- Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower / Focus Blast / Boomburst
- U-turn / Roost

Have a good day, and good luck with the team!

Thanks for the rates, guys. It really helped.

I really liked the bulk of Tenta in 5th gen so I thought it's gonna be usefull here too. I think I will in fact replace it with MB Excadrill, though I don't really like that pokemon, I don't know why. Perhaps it's because that sand rush abuse back in gen 5.

I didn't know about Parting Shot, I will definately check it out on Smeargle.

As for Noivern. I didn't really use that pokemon too much. Perhaps in my first matches where I wanted to try out new mons. Thanks for the kind words, guys. If you have any other advice for me about that one free slot for Gastro, it would be awsome to see.

Uh, nevermind. I'll keep Noivern. It simply destroys Greninja. Thank you for that suggestion!

Last edited:
I had essentially compacted Gastro and Tenta's role into one, while replacing it with Noivern to give your team more setup oppurtunities. Excadrill isn't broken anymore, Sand is only 5 turns when induced by Ttar :)

EDIT: Also, how is Gourgeist working?

Yeah, I really start to like Gourgeist. He can tank Ice Punch from things like Conkeldur for ages, provided that Conck did not set up. I also like that he's not that weak to U-turn too. If only Exploud was a bit faster.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)