[QC Ready 2/3] Gogoat

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus

Code:
22:12 Birkal !gogoat
22:12 Birkal dang, I miss capefeather
[Pros]

<ul>
<li>Great bulk is capable of tanking numerous hits.</li>
<li>Diverse movepool allows for many avenues of offense and defense.</li>
<li>Sap Sipper sets it apart from other Grass-types.</li>
</ul>

[Cons]

<ul>
<li>Bad defensive typing; takes SE damage from many popular attacks.</li>
<li>Outclassed by many other Grass-types, including Mega Venusaur and Breloom.</li>
<li>Bad case of four moveslot syndrome; it needs coverage and set up moves badly.</li>
<li>Slow speed doesn't help.</li>
</ul>

[Set Recommendations]

<p>Gogoat @ Leftovers / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Sap Sipper<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def<br />
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)<br />
- Bulk Up<br />
- Horn Leech<br />
- Rock Slide / Earthquake<br />
- Milk Drink / Substitute</p>

<p>While not the only set Gogoat is capable of running, it is arguably its most effective. The combination of Bulk Up, Horn Leech, and Leftovers can make it a daunting wall with some usable offensive presence. Rock Slide helps you with Fire-types such as Volcarona and Talonflame on the switch in, while Earthquake hits hard against the likes of Magnezone and Poison-types. Milk Drink is available for immediate health recovery, while Substitute is for avoiding status and creating 101 HP subs.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Talonflame, Charizard, Salamence, Dragonite and Volcarona all x4 resist its STAB and can set up easily if it lacks the appropriate coverage move. Gogoat needs to set up Bulk Up in order to be effective, so Taunt and phazing are a good way of stopping it. Fast Pokemon can usually use a status move before it has the chance to set up a Substitute.</p>

Last edited:

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This needs to say the words Skarmory somewhere on here, and preferably Magnezone/Gothitelle team support to remove the already mentioned Skarm and Ferrothorn. Gogoat could have been quite good, but a few things are just slightly too wrong for this to ever be decent :(

Anyway, with the roughly equal attack and special attack, I wonder if the best set is actually a mixed 3 attacks + Sub/Milk Drink or something.

I say Milk Drink should be slashed before Sub if not remove Sub entirely. A Pokemon like Gogoat will most likely never sweep, but it will end up as a specially defensive pivot until it gets a chance to sweep maybe late game due to it's low power before any boosts, meaning the reliable recovery would help.

is there a reason to use this over sawsbuck if you're going with sub? go with milk drink and be a set up/recover mon that has pretty decent bulk

Shroomisaur

Smogon's fantastical fun-guy.
Anyway, with the roughly equal attack and special attack, I wonder if the best set is actually a mixed 3 attacks + Sub/Milk Drink or something.
I thought of the same thing in my Gogoat UT thread, this is what I came up with:

Gogoat @ Life Orb
Ability: Sap-Sipper
Nature: Naughty / Lonely
EVs: 100 HP / 252 Atk / 136 SpA / 20 Spe
- Horn Leech
- Rock Slide / Earthquake
- Hidden Power Fire / Hidden Power Ice
- Milk Drink

This set forgoes boosting and in favor of hitting hard right off the bat and removing Gogoat's typical counters. With maximum attack investment and Life Orb, Gogoat's STAB Horn Leech will hit quite hard while also offsetting the LO recoil. The second moveslot is again the coverage move of your choice, but the third slot is the big surprise. Gogoat's surprisingly high base 97 Special Attack can be put to use with Hidden Power to destroy would-be counters. Milk Drink in the final slot keeps Gogoat healthy throughout the match.

With 136 SpA EVs and a Life Orb, Hidden Power Fire is guaranteed to OHKO on 248/8 Scizor, and guarantees a 2HKO on Ferrothorn and Skarmory. 20 Speed EVs outpaces uninvested Skarmory, and the remainder are put into HP to boost survivability.

Probably some tweaks that could be made but I've found it works quite well. The power level in OU is just too high to rely on getting a bunch of BU boosts.

Birkal

We have the technology.
is a Top Artistis a Top CAP Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
I want to start this by emphasizing that Gogoat is not a good Pokemon, and I'm a firm believer in cutting right to the chase in analyses. One of the things I find most frustrating about C&C is when I read an analysis that oversells a Pokemon. That's not to say that we shouldn't list that Pokemon's strengths, but it's important to be honest when you're using a Pokemon that just isn't cutting it in the current metagame. Such is the story of Gogoat.

Yes, it can run a LO + 3 attacks set, but why not just run the same style of a set on a better offensive Pokemon? Gogoat has bad offensive STAB and it's slow, which is huge when you're running a Pokemon that's main goal is to hit things hard. That's why I'm advocating for one specific Gogoat set: Bulk Up. Its main niche above other offensive mons is its great bulk and Horn Leech as its main STAB, and that's what we should be selling in this analysis, in my opinion.

Anyways, I slashed Milk Drink first, since I s'pose that's the better 'niche' move for Gogoat, but I'm still an advocate that avoiding status with Substitute is a better strategy. Waiting on QC checks.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't know why this thing was put up for a preview but i am not approving it. Sorry that you wasted your time Birkal, but a pure Grass-type with mediocre stats, movepool, and ability doesn't cut it in OU.

Birkal

We have the technology.
Fair enough. If we discover it gets some groundbreaking egg move or something, I still dibs this analysis.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Now hold on a second, I thought gen VI Pokemon were exempt from getting their previews rejected? Regardless of how bad they are, people are going to want competitive information on all of the new gen VI Pokemon, and we should be their go-to source for obtaining that info. At the very least we approved Aurorus and Carbink, (which are pretty terrible in standard) so we should maintain some consistency here. At the end of the day, they're just preview (nothing more than placeholders really). We should start seriously judging a Pokemon's merit when when we start making analyses.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
My mistake then, i thought we were just very lenient with what is getting previews as far as 6th gen mons are concerned and didn't know that every fully evolved 6th gen mon would get a preview.

Last edited:

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This thing is cool, I'm a fan

Get rid of Leaf Blade; Horn Leech recovery is way more beneficial than negligible power.

qc 2/3

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
<p>While not the only set Gogoat is capable of running, it is arguably its most effective. The combination of Bulk Up, Horn Leech, and Leftovers can make it a daunting wall with some usable offensive presence. Rock Slide helps you Gogoat deal with Fire-types such as Volcarona and Talonflame on the switch in, while Earthquake hits hard against the likes of Magnezone and Poison-types. Milk Drink is available for immediate health recovery, while Substitute is for avoiding status and creating 101 HP subs Substitutes.</p>
Remember! "You" are not a Pokemon. Also remember to make your Pros and cons in full sentences.

QC APPROVED 3/3

Amcheck
Additions
Subtractions
Comments

[Pros]
<ul>
<li>GIts great bulk means that it is capable of tanking numerous hits.</li>
<li>DIts diverse movepool allows for many avenues of offense and defense.</li>
<li>Sap Sipper sets it apart from other Grass-types.</li>
</ul>
[Cons]
<ul>
<li>BA bad defensive typing; means that it takes SEsuper effective damage from many popularcommon attacks.</li>
<li>OIt is outclassed by many other Grass-types, including such as Mega Venusaur and Breloom.</li>
<li>BA bad case of four -(AH)moveslot syndrome; means that it needrequires coverage and set(remove space)up moves badly.</li>
<li>Slow sIts poor Speed doesn't help.</li>
</ul>
[Set Recommendations]
<p>Gogoat @ Leftovers / Life Orb<br />
Ability: Sap Sipper<br />
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD / 4 Def<br />
Careful Nature (+SpD, -SpA)<br />
- Bulk Up<br />
- Horn Leech<br />
- Rock Slide / Earthquake<br />
- Milk Drink / Substitute</p>
<p>While not the only set Gogoat is capable of running, this set is arguably its most effective. The combination of Bulk Up, Horn Leech, and Leftovers can make it a daunting wall with some usable offensive presence. Rock Slide helps youGogoat deal with Fire-types such as Volcarona and Talonflame on the switch in, while Earthquake hits hard against the likes of Magnezone and Poison-types hard. Milk Drink is available for immediate health recovery, while Substitute is for avoiding status and creat. With the HP investment, Gogoat is capable of making 101 HP sSubs.titutes(substitutes creating substitutes sounded weiiird)</p>
[Checks and Counters]
<p>Talonflame, Charizard, Salamence, Dragonite,(AC) and Volcarona all x4x resist itGogoat's STAB and can set up on it easily if it lacks the appropriate coverage move. Gogoat needs to have set up Bulk Up in order to be effective, so Taunt and phazing are a good ways of stopping it. Fast Pokemon that can usually use a status move before it has the chance to set up a Substitute are also good checks.</p>

^_^

Last edited:
You guys are forgetting about gogoats hidden ability, grass pelt. While it is a bit difficult to set up, a team that makes use of the grassy terrain elsewhere would allow gogoat to get a much needed defensive boost along with a signicant physical attack boost (it's speed is still problematic, though). it's still not a great pokemon, but it is an improvement

You guys are forgetting about gogoats hidden ability, grass pelt. While it is a bit difficult to set up, a team that makes use of the grassy terrain elsewhere would allow gogoat to get a much needed defensive boost along with a signicant physical attack boost (it's speed is still problematic, though). it's still not a great pokemon, but it is an improvement
Grassy Terrain is a very bad move because it affects the other team too, thus Grass Pelt is useless.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)