College Football 2013-2014 Thread

They should. Wisconsin is the best team Ohio State has played all year...their schedule simply isn't good enough to warrant a spot in the top 2.

Congrats to Auburn for their storybook season after coming off a winless season in the SEC - all credit due, really - but I still can't help but feeling Auburn is lucky to even be in this situation where it's possible they're in the driver's seat to a BCS NC game. This is where the playoff would really come in handy to determine who's real and who's not.

Ok now to unload some vodka induced thoughts:

-I really don't understand how we could have let Auburn rush for 200+ yards. A NICK SABAN DEFENSE giving up THAT MUCH.
-The Wide Receivers dropping balls didn't help. The missed FGs didnt help. The O-Line on 3rd and short situations didnt help. AJ was playing the best he could. Yeldon did as much as he could with a bad ankle and mediocre run-blocking. Oh and WHERE WAS KENYAN DRAKE.
-Bad bad bad coaching.
-WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ELITE CORNERS? WHY CAN'T WE GET A KIRKPATRICK 2.0/KAREEM JACKSON 2.0? What is inhibiting our ability to recruit actual good corners instead of converted wideouts and shorties.
-Gus Malzahn will probably have 9 more SEC championship seasons before he is chewed apart by hellhounds.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
is a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
FYI Florida State has a worse SoS than Ohio State.
NIU <<<<< FSU < OSU < Clemson = Bama < Auburn = Mizzou as far as relevant teams are concerned.

Literally zero percent chance anybody jumps OSU if they win next week. They're too far ahead of Auburn for them to catch up and they won't make up much more ground next week since Michigan State isn't exactly poorly raked.

Last edited:
Congrats to Auburn for their storybook season after coming off a winless season in the SEC
storybook is one way of putting it, hehe.

-WHY CAN'T WE HAVE ELITE CORNERS? WHY CAN'T WE GET A KIRKPATRICK 2.0/KAREEM JACKSON 2.0? What is inhibiting our ability to recruit actual good corners instead of converted wideouts and shorties.
a Bama fan complaining about recruiting, I've really seen it all :toast:

FYI Florida State has a worse SoS than Ohio State.
based on what? A quick google search gives several sources listing FSU's schedule as harder, and even though the Big 10 > the ACC, big wins over Clemson/Miami >> decent wins over Wisconsin and Iowa. but it doesn't really matter, the real debate is Auburn (or possibly the unlikely Missouri) vs OSU.

Literally zero percent chance anybody jumps OSU if they win next week. They're too far ahead of Auburn for them to catch up and they won't make up much more ground next week since Michigan State isn't exactly poorly raked.
I wouldn't be so sure. OSU's bcs average this week was only .920, and they didn't do themselves any favors. last year's one loss Alabama team, for comparison, had a bcs average of .944, though they had the benefit of there only being one undefeated team ahead of them. given that Auburn will be playing a likely top 7/8 team (Missouri possibly, USC will be that high if they beat Clemson) it will certainly help whatever case they're trying to build. going to be an interesting poll tomorrow, that's for sure.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Going by Sagarin which is the only one I actually bothered to look at. At any rate, Auburn's .8236 in the BSC standings seems pretty far away from OSU's .9200 to me although who the hell knows how they pull those numbers out of their ass. OSU's schedule isn't nearly bad enough for Auburn to make up their loss in the computers (and they DGAF about margin of victory), nor do I imagine the human polls denying a 25-0 OSU their shot at a title despite the media's incredible SEC bias.

also woo mizzouri won, all but ensuring the DEATH of bama possibly getting back into title game talks

hey guys here we go

Last edited:

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Okay: reactions to the craziest day in college football this year.

1. Auburn>Bama prediction was spot-on, but I don't think anyone predicted such a crazy game. Auburn's the second-best team in college football right now behind Florida State; I'd even take Mizzou over Bama on a neutral field. Kevin Sumlin was nice enough to hand Mizzou a berth in the SEC title game against Auburn thanks to his horrendous clock management at the end of the game (protip: if you have to burn a timeout punting with 2 minutes left, go for it instead! Especially if you have Mr. Jonathan F. Football as your QB!) My gut says Auburn>Mizzou in the the SEC title game, but there's always the chance Auburn falls into a post-we-beat-Ala-fucking-Bama hangover. Eh, Auburn 33, Missouri 28.

2. I was at the Michigan-Ohio State game today (take a guess who I was rooting for). When Michigan decided to go for 2 (absolutely the right call), my friends and I practically shat ourselves. For about the twelfth time that quarter. It's a real shame Michigan couldn't upset OSU so we could get a FSU-Auburn national title game (and because I fucking hate the Buckeyes), but Michigan really showed up against a team that, talent-wise, should have beaten them by 40. It's a real shame that Michigan's been such a roller coaster this season because if Michigan had played as well as it did against OSU against everyone else on its schedule, we'd be heading to a BCS at-large berth instead of the Taxslayer.com Bowl. As much as I hate to say it, Borges deserves a ton of credit for putting up 41 points against OSU. He had Derrick Green as our lead back and didn't let Touissaint pass-block very often. Gardner played like Notre Dame Devin Gardner as well. Brady Hoke is the right man for this job (he coached one of the best games I've ever seen), and I wouldn't be too upset if Michigan didn't fire Al Borges (they will). If Michigan's kicker was healthy, they would have won that game hands-down. Although this Michigan football season was an absolute disaster, Michigan looks like a team poised for a rebound next year.

3. Alabama is not out of the national title picture. Alabama is obviously the best one-loss team in the country according to the BCS standings (In my opinion it's Mizzou, but that's neither here nor there), and they'll fall to fourth in the BCS standings. Sound familiar? Oh, that's right! They fell to fourth last year before every undefeated team crumbled like month-old Cheez-Its! Ohio State, Florida State, and Auburn will all be ahead of Alabama. If two of those teams lose next week, then Alabama goes to the national title game. Ohio State will have to play a tough Michigan State team in the God Hates Michigan Fans Bowl Big Ten Title Game and could easily lose that. Auburn plays a really tough Missouri team in the SEC Title Game. Florida State isn't going to lose to Duke (although Duke is not a bad team), but it only takes two teams to lose to redeem Alabama. Furthermore, if Jameis Winston is charged with sexual assault, he won't be eligible to play in the national title game. Will poll voters really put an undefeated FSU team without its star quarterback (without whom FSU is definitely not a national title contender) above an Alabama team whose one loss was incredibly fluky? The computers all love Alabama, too. If either OSU or Auburn loses and Winston is charged with sexual assault, look out for Alabama playing for its third straight title. Also, fuck Alabama. And Ohio State. And OSU. And the Buckeyes.

4. My predictions: Auburn>Missouri, OSU>MSU (but both teams play so horrendously that poll voters drop them both out of the top 25 and then the NCAA hits them with a bowl ban for ref bribery), and FSU>Duke. Also, Arizona State is extremely underrated. Look out for them next year.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
Taxslayer.com Bowl
Dude you could be playing in the Papajohns.com Bowl, you never know. The Meineke Car Care Bowl! Or the prestigious Capital One Bowl, the non-BCS bid to be. (Well not really, Michigan's record isn't that good.) I'm partial to the San Diego County Credit Union Poinsettia Bowl as far as silly corporate sponsorship is concerned.

Will poll voters really put an undefeated FSU team... above an Alabama team whose one loss...
Yes.

And Ohio State. And OSU. And the Buckeyes.
You forgot THE Ohio State University.

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
What a well-deserved win for auburn. I'm actually glad that my school lost for once, it'll stop the massive cocky dickwaving everyone seems to love doing. It burns that it's against auburn, though....

Oh, man. That video up there doesn't do justice to the sheer noise that was coming from the stadium. When you sit near the mid-top, especially in the student section, all the noise travels up. It's almost like getting smacked in the face, haha. Iron Bowls are ALWAYS loud in Jordan-Hare, even in the last few years Auburn's stunk it up. What a game, though. To any Alabama fan here, good game, for real. After the Alabama game, and the Georgia game a few weeks ago, I'm gonna have a strong heart from all the palpitations it was doing.

As for our BCS ranking, I'm kinda on the fence. Sure, OSU hasn't lost a game in two years, but the only team they've played is an 8-4 Wisconsin. Auburn, on the other hand, lost to 9-3 LSU. So, I'm not sure what to expect. We've come really close to them in the Harris Poll, so we have a small chance to bump them down to 3 and us to 2. Not sure, though.

did anyone actually watch that game? i thought alabama just flat out played better and it took fg misses and some pretty bad luck for auburn to sneak away with the win there...i will give auburn's offense credit for playing pretty well, and i do think they also had a bout of bad luck with one of alabama's receiving tds, but i still think alabama is a better team and they proved it. ah well go noles!

You can say the same for Auburn. Two of our passes that would have been TDs were missed. One was dropped, the other was overthrown. Both receivers had five yards on the Alabama defenders. So, you can't really say Alabama had ALL the bad luck.

Also keep in mind, Alabama has the fourth ranked rushing defense in the country. Auburn went in and put 296 yards on the ground on that defense. That's the most allowed by Alabama by an SEC opponent since 2007. I wouldn't say Bama played any better than we did. Auburn played exactly how they needed to to win. Saban was, quite frankly, outcoached. So, though Bama may have the better players, they weren't the better team last night.

Mr.E

unban me from Discord
But.. But if only OSU got to play literal fucking Duke in their championship game :(

consolation sugar bowl: Alabama-Ohio State

make it happen, bcs
I think Orange Bowl gets first pick this year(?), and I'm pretty sure they would use it on OSU.

Alabama will get either Oregon or Oklahoma State instead.

Baylor will get UCF lol

Michigan State vs. Stanford DEFENSE FOR DAYS

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)