Pokémon Clawitzer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since azumarill appears to be a problem for clawitzer, I think it is a good idea to run sludge bomb/sludge wave, as previously posted. one small note though, some azumarill are running 84 speed evs in order to outspeed min-speed jellicent. since clawitzer would not take a play rough too well from azumarill, it might be a good idea to invest a little in speed to outspeed and nail azumarill with a poison type attack. a modest nature clawitzer only needs 16 speed evs to outspeed adamant azumarill with 84 speed evs. I was thinking the ev spread for clawitzer could be 240 hp, 252 sp.atk, and 16 speed.

I'm wanting to try out an Assault Vest set for Clawitzer, does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions regarding the nature and EV spread? I'm not too good at this sort of thing.

I'm wanting to try out an Assault Vest set for Clawitzer, does anyone have any recommendations/suggestions regarding the nature and EV spread? I'm not too good at this sort of thing.
I'm running my assault vest Clawitzer with a bold nature and 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpAtk for EVs. It's intended as a mixed wall that can force switches and hit back pretty hard. You could always put some EVs in SpAtk/SpDef instead of Def if you want him as a special-based wall instead.

Hey guys!

I love this pokemon~Haha. Its served me really well so far. I haven't done ranked battles yet still in the phase of testing pokemon out in the battle maison but so far this pokemon is beyond amazing in my point. This is what I personally run for my claw =]

Clawitzer @ Assault Vest
Modest
212HP/40Def/252SpA

Water Pulse
Ice Beam
Dark Pulse
Aura Sphere

Sounds pretty normal I guess, something more "standard" I threw the defence in there cause I figured this way I would survive more physical attack hits. I didn't actually calculate the perfect defensive IV's to survive what. I just put 40 in there knowing I'd need it for something. Most of the time it keeps me alive pretty good, in some cases I'd survive 3 hits where I'd normally die in 2. The sole reason for running slightly higher defensive values is I run a careful scolipede setting up iron defense for my claw. Then I can just sweep with my claw. With speed boosts and iron defence + assault vest I am bulky enough to survive many attacks whether its physical or special and OHKO or 2HKO them back. As for how far this set up has gone through the battle house for me yet .. well it's kind of a slow process compared to when I just DD and Outrage with my Haxorus ... So i've interrupted quite a few times. Clawitzer itself as a lead has gotten me to 30+ rounds with two things covering up its weaknesses.

For me this pokemon is very fun and there's lots of potential for this pokemon. Truly a great monster haha. I have tried running sludge wave/sludge bomb. But I still prefer water pulse. I understand there are some overlaps in terms of coverage with the ice beam but there are times when you need to use water pulse over the ice beam.

Clawitzers main weakness is the fact it is very very slow of a pokemon. You must run a team that helps it set up via making it bulkier or simply making it faster. In my case I do both, and it is working like a charm for me right now.

I have been running this guy without a STAB and IMO I consider it to be better off because you can fulfill your 4MSS problem by running Sludge Bomb/Ice Beam/Aura Sphere/Dark Pulse. Water Pulse is providing redundant coverage anyway with Ice Beam and Aura Sphere (no fire types in their right mind will switch into Clawitzer anyway). This set-up also provides better SE coverage compared to Water/Dark/Poison/Ice. In fact, thanks to Mega Launcher, Clawitzer is essentially getting STAB on all pulse moves so Dark Pulse has exactly the same BP as Scald, and only 15 BP lower than Water Pulse after STAB, and I think it is better to have better SE coverage.
This guy a page ago probably has it right. This thing scares too much away to do a predictable move like water pulse, and I can't think of anything weak to water that the other coverage moves don't hit as hard, outside of Volc.

So the general consensus is that Sludge (is it bomb or wave that he learns?) is better than Water Pulse)? It's great for Togekiss and Azumaril that are kinda common. But with this set you can't hit Volcarona SE, but usually not many people put a fire type against a water type.

Also, isn't Mega Blastoise superior? I was about to train one, but then I realised that he only gets Aura Sphere though breeding with Clawitzer, so since I'm impatient I'll just train this guy instead. Probably with Life Orb, that way it hits better than Mega Blastoise. Or maybe Expert Belt since it has good SE coverage. What do you think?

So the general consensus is that Sludge (is it bomb or wave that he learns?) is better than Water Pulse)? It's great for Togekiss and Azumaril that are kinda common. But with this set you can't hit Volcarona SE, but usually not many people put a fire type against a water type.

Also, isn't Mega Blastoise superior? I was about to train one, but then I realised that he only gets Aura Sphere though breeding with Clawitzer, so since I'm impatient I'll just train this guy instead. Probably with Life Orb, that way it hits better than Mega Blastoise. Or maybe Expert Belt since it has good SE coverage. What do you think?
Yes, Mega Blastoise is superior to Clawitzer. However, Clawitzer does have the advantage of being able to hold an item (Choice Specs Clawitzer hits harder than Mega Blastoise, I believe), and it doesn't take up your team's mega slot.

Personally, I think Clawitzer's best item is Choice Specs. I don't think losing your ability to switch moves is a huge loss to Clawitzer, as it's so slow and frail-ish that it probably won't stay in for more than one turn anyway; just get in, smack something around, and get out.

Personally, I think Clawitzer's best item is Choice Specs. I don't think losing your ability to switch moves is a huge loss to Clawitzer, as it's so slow and frail-ish that it probably won't stay in for more than one turn anyway; just get in, smack something around, and get out.
Yeah I found the Life orb really not the best idea as you'd get hit before attacking to lose half of you health then get sapped by Life Orb. Specially when your opponent survives the attack though Focus sashes or Sturdy. It doesn't really need to adapt to every opponent it fights as long.so the Specs work pretty well. Just choose a good move with best outcome on what they might send out after the first KO. Though it is pretty cool when you swap moves from Dragon Pulse to Aura Sphere and hit a swapped in Kanga.

I use him as a Trick Room Sp. Sweeper and he do it very good, he can do respectable damage to almost everything in the Metagame.

Clawitzer has a great sp.atk stat of 120, a great ability that increases his damage output by a whooping 50% for certain moves, and the special movepool to utilize it all. Unfortunately, the rest of his stats are quite lacking. A horrible speed combined with sub-par defenses means that he'll probably only be able to get off one hit before dying to something. The only good way I can see him functioning is with Trick Room support. Without trick room, clawitzer is much too slow and his defenses at most only allow him to survive one neutral hit. The only good niche I see for Clawitzer is as a trick room sweeper.

I run Assault (Vest)Buster Clawitzer with bland max HP and SPA and....

Dark Pulse/U Turn
Ice Beam
Aura Sphere
Water Pulse

Clawitzers only niche overall is Water offensive type who can beat Ferrothorn, and is to be used if you already used the Mega slot, but otherwise Megatoise is better in every single way. Maybe a speedy Clawitzer could be used to outspeed Gliscor in its own game, but eh

I actually have pretty decent success with a team with Clawitzer in it, but it does not play big role overall. It usually goes for an easy early kill vs walls, or things that can't beat it in one shot, but the same can be said for most mediocre offensive pokemon

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Clawitzer can be a pretty efficient Life Orb sweeper with Sticky Web support. He's just fast enough to outspeed many threats at +1 (or the equivalent)

I know it's not the best, but I like this set:
Clawitzer @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mega Launcher
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- U-turn
- Water Pulse
- Ice Beam
- Aura Sphere

It hits 370 Speed, outspeeding 118 Base Speed Pokemon and above. It hits hard and keeps up momentum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)