Other 6th Gen Pokemon UU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anybody mentioned Haxorus yet? It was already on the verge of falling to UU at the end of last gen, and the introduction of Fairy types, particularly Togekiss, might be the nail in the coffin.
If it does drop, it'll definitely shake up the tier until we can find a way to stop it. Oh, and Flygon will cease to be the #1 UU Dragon (although Scarf Flygon can easily revenge kill Haxorus after one Dragon Dance)

Has anybody mentioned Haxorus yet? It was already on the verge of falling to UU at the end of last gen, and the introduction of Fairy types, particularly Togekiss, might be the nail in the coffin.
If it does drop, it'll definitely shake up the tier until we can find a way to stop it. Oh, and Flygon will cease to be the #1 UU Dragon (although Scarf Flygon can easily revenge kill Haxorus after one Dragon Dance)
If Haxorus dropped into BW2 UU back then, it would have meant trouble. But as for XY UU, you need to keep in mind that it will probably drop alongside a bunch of other dragons. Salamence especially, being faster, being able to go mixed and sporting both DD and Moxie. Heck, even Hydreigon is faster than Haxorus and that thing is scary as fuck if you don't happen to have a Florges around. That being said, Haxorus has a really nice coverage move in the form of Poison Jab, while both Salamence and Hydreigon would need to rely on subpar Steel-type moves to hit fairies with.
I think it will end up depending on how many viable Fairies UU will get. With Azumarril maybe reaching OU and Togekiss certainly being OU, the things UU will be left with are probably things like Florges, Sylveon and Gardevior. I don't know about Klefki and Mawile, since I didn't take a look at the November stats yet. But with the aforementioned Fairies leaning heavily towards the special spectrum, physical Dragon-types might become the next BW2 UU's Fighting-type, and in that case Haxorus would at least stand out with its uber level Atk stat.

I'm sorry, but all this speculation of Hydreigon & Salamence being allowed in UU is downright entertaining

Ok, so there was a small BP nerf on the special side, new mega evolutions, and the new fairy typing. All nerfs, and they got nothing new this generation...Too bad that the only decent fairy's are Azumarill & Togekiss. The rest have meh offensive presence and are physically frail.

Salamence may be out-classed by CharX (and DD Dragonite), but it doesn't take up your available mega slot, nor does it have the same weaknesses as CharX, AND it can wear Choice items. MixMence is still good, even without the fire STAB.

Hydreigon has great synergy with Aegislash, can use Flash Cannon to hit Fairies pretty hard, and has an obscene move pool. It's x4 weakness to fairy isn't really THAT big of a deal. No other pseudo-legendary 600 BST dragon has been slowed down to how much Ice Beam has been around for the last +10 years.

I mean really guys, these things have a lot of options available, and they don't take up a mega evolution, nor do you HAVE to use a mega in the first place. Is it THAT hard to play around 2 more Pokemon? I mean you have to do that with everything else you use anyways.

People are off playing with new stuff and broken mega evolutions, once things settle down we'll see where they are in usage. If there usage still is below that 1/20 games mark, I SERIOUSLY doubt that UU is capable of housing Salamence & Hydreigon in any healthy way.. I mean really? Metagross (poor guy) I can understand, and mmaayyyybeee Haxorus due to it's limited offensive options... But Salamence & Hydreigon? Pfft, they'll be banned to BL if it comes to that, mark my words.

Last edited:
If Haxorus dropped into BW2 UU back then, it would have meant trouble. But as for XY UU, you need to keep in mind that it will probably drop alongside a bunch of other dragons. Salamence especially, being faster, being able to go mixed and sporting both DD and Moxie. Heck, even Hydreigon is faster than Haxorus and that thing is scary as fuck if you don't happen to have a Florges around. That being said, Haxorus has a really nice coverage move in the form of Poison Jab, while both Salamence and Hydreigon would need to rely on subpar Steel-type moves to hit fairies with.
I think it will end up depending on how many viable Fairies UU will get. With Azumarril maybe reaching OU and Togekiss certainly being OU, the things UU will be left with are probably things like Florges, Sylveon and Gardevior. I don't know about Klefki and Mawile, since I didn't take a look at the November stats yet. But with the aforementioned Fairies leaning heavily towards the special spectrum, physical Dragon-types might become the next BW2 UU's Fighting-type, and in that case Haxorus would at least stand out with its uber level Atk stat.
I think your going on a pretty big stretch to say Mence will be UU this gen. Sure he's not receiving the usage at the moment but that's because everyone is trying out all the new stuff. As a DD user Mence is outclassed by Dnite and ZardX imo. However Intimidate/Moxie plus higher special attack give him enough of a nich to be used over Dnite plus Mence runs a better mixed set. As for ZardX Mence is outclassed as both a DD user and a Mixed attacker but doesn't take up a Mega spot. He also runs the best Scarf set out of all of them with Moxie being the thing that makes his Scarf set his best set and one of the best physical dragon scarfers out there only rivalled by Chomp imo.

If Mence does drop he will end up in BL anyway, he is to good for UU imo. Honestly who can stop him down there? Faster scarfers can check him if he is only at plus one speed, Bronzong can take on Fire Blast if that's what his coverage move is and has to hope that he has taken enough damage in the process to that Gyro Ball kills. Fairys wont do well since none can really take physical hits well, except for Grandbull........

It's incredibly difficult to say what will be broken in early XY UU since we have no idea what's actually dropping down. The November usage stats really don't do a very good job at predicting the first official UU list, which could be as far away as 6 months from now. The fact that Sylveon and Galvantula are in OU usage range but top tier OU threats such as Jirachi, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus-I, Latias, and Thundurus-I are below the UU cutoff is very telling of how unstable the current metagame is, at least as far as usage is concerned.

It's incredibly difficult to say what will be broken in early XY UU since we have no idea what's actually dropping down. The November usage stats really don't do a very good job at predicting the first official UU list, which could be as far away as 6 months from now. The fact that Sylveon and Galvantula are in OU usage range but top tier OU threats such as Jirachi, Keldeo, Thundurus-T, Landorus-I, Latias, and Thundurus-I are below the UU cutoff is very telling of how unstable the current metagame is, at least as far as usage is concerned.
Exactly, people are so focused on Mega Evolutions and Greninja(lol), Aegislash, & Talonflame right now that a lot of other stuff is getting ignored. Because *SHINY*!

But shouting "Ohhh, 600 BST dragons are coming to UU!" this early? Pffft.

Don't forget Mence also isn't weak to Earthquake like ZardX
I guess that's a positive but ZardX cant be burned, isn't weak to fairy attacks, neutral to Ice Shard and takes way less damage from Bullet Punch. Still just because Mence is outclassed by ZardX In most cases he does have a lot going for him and I really cant see him dropping into UU. This is the same Dragon we are talking about that was banned in 4th Gen and I know we are now in 6th Gen but that should just be a testament to his power. If he does drop to UU for a extended period of time ill be very very surprised.

I don't agree about the following: Salamence dropping to UU, Manaphy being top OU, Crawdunt being UU, Thundorus being top OU, Magnezone falling into UU.
Salamence isn't only enjoyed because of his fantastic Dragon Dance (Even though CharX outclasses it) but it is a well known threat because of Scarf Moxie 135 Base Attack, yes being to locked into Outrage and Earthquake is bad, but this thing wrecks stuff, it was super dominant in OU, Haxorus however, will be dropping, most likely, to UU>
Manaphy, isn't top OU, but it also wouldn't fall to UU (Weathers most likely there).
Crawdunt, doesn't seem UU, he hasn't changed that much, yes DD + Aqua Jet + Knock off is good, but no UU good, I mean, not with Haxorus coming down.
Thundorus will never be top OU, I don't see it UU, but I do see it BL.
Magnezone would never fall into UU, the need of Magnet Pull HP Fire is bigger, with Scizor and Ferrathorn running around, not to mention Volt Switch magnet pull skarmory.
I also don't think Staraptor will be dropping into UU anytime soon.

Also, Hydriegon isn't gonna fall UU anytime soon, not with amazing SpA and access to Superpower, but yes Goodra might fall there. Noivern too.
I also think Mienshao has the chance of OU, getting out of UU, with new buffs of Knock Off, being able to cripple many ghost types such as Chandelure, Cofagrigus, Aegislash, Gengar super effectively with a 97.5 base power move (If item is available)

Upstart

Copy Cat
I'm sorry, but all this speculation of Hydreigon & Salamence being allowed in UU is downright entertaining

Ok, so there was a small BP nerf on the special side, new mega evolutions, and the new fairy typing. All nerfs, and they got nothing new this generation...Too bad that the only decent fairy's are Azumarill & Togekiss. The rest have meh offensive presence and are physically frail.

Salamence may be out-classed by CharX (and DD Dragonite), but it doesn't take up your available mega slot, nor does it have the same weaknesses as CharX, AND it can wear Choice items. MixMence is still good, even without the fire STAB.

Hydreigon has great synergy with Aegislash, can use Flash Cannon to hit Fairies pretty hard, and has an obscene move pool. It's x4 weakness to fairy isn't really THAT big of a deal. No other pseudo-legendary 600 BST dragon has been slowed down to how much Ice Beam has been around for the last +10 years.

I mean really guys, these things have a lot of options available, and they don't take up a mega evolution, nor do you HAVE to use a mega in the first place. Is it THAT hard to play around 2 more Pokemon? I mean you have to do that with everything else you use anyways.

People are off playing with new stuff and broken mega evolutions, once things settle down we'll see where they are in usage. If there usage still is below that 1/20 games mark, I SERIOUSLY doubt that UU is capable of housing Salamence & Hydreigon in any healthy way.. I mean really? Metagross (poor guy) I can understand, and mmaayyyybeee Haxorus due to it's limited offensive options... But Salamence & Hydreigon? Pfft, they'll be banned to BL if it comes to that, mark my words.
I am not sure if this was directed at me as I did mention that Salamence and Hydreigon will be UU. I say this due to the usage stats of november(the only stats we have) places them solidly in UU range. However also if you have played the uu Meta you will find that Salamence has a hard time standing out from the competition. Due to the introduction of new threats powerful threats will be bound to drop to UU which in no way diminishes their viability in OU.

Except for that fact that you take into consideration that the 3 best fairys in ou (and so many more): Azumarill, Togekiss, and Clefable hard wall it. And judging by the usage stats, they all have a fair amount of usage that would make Hydreigon a liability on any team that has any of these threats to begin with. I'm kinda surprised that you said Goodra would fall but Hydreigon wouldn't. That's kind of hilarious because Goodra performs fantastically in this meta while Hydreigon is quite mediocre. I can't predict the usage stats for the upcoming months, but if Goodra falls and Hydreigon doesn't, than that's just the on the fault of the player base if anything.
You exactly said it, people now are just using new stuff, that happens every gen, everybody uses new pokemons, 1-2 months later, the meta game calms down and does what it has to do. Yes goodra is amazing, but only with Assault Vest, or at least IMO, while Hydriegon can carry many items, surprising the opposing team, Goodra dies from most physical moves, and if you run Gooey, then while you take speed off, you are weak to Grass moves such as spore, Hydriegon Specs wrecks, Goodra walls good, but with Mega Blastiose and other pokemons, probably not.

Hydriegon is in this gen x4 weak to Fairy, he isn't as much as screwed as you say because Fairies aren't common this gen, yes Azu and Kiss will be dominant, but nobody knows how much dominant, and Hydriegon carries Flash Cannon, so I'm pretty sure it won't need Iron Tail, not to mention, tiers are also based on competing, Hydriegon doesn't compete with many pokemons, only Latias and Latios, which both are weak to Sucker Punch, Pursuit, and Shadow Sneak, while Hydriegon is weak to the nerfed Fighting type, Mach Punch, it still resists Sucker Punch and Pursuit, has viable resistance to Ghost, has amazing movepool, and can hit Fairy Super effectively. And pls don't mention x4 weakness to fairy, I'm pretty sure Salamence, Dragonite, and Garchomp haven't been affected by x4 weakness to ice that much. I'm not saying it's top OU, but I'm saying that it will most likely manage to stay OU or at least BL, not UU, or at least not now.
Goodra can die from physical non-STAB super effective
252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 322-380 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 322-380 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes

zygarde in Uu would be like kyurem in uu/limbo. It is just too powerful for uu.
I personally disagree with this, i believe Zygarde will be OU, but that isnt what the topic is about

I think Metagross will drop because that steel nerf seems to really hurt it. Any battle against it so far in the meta has had it gotton shat on, as its new weaknesses are so exploitiable and common.
I think Mandibuzz will rise to UU because in practice its is very good, very annoying with Defog+Foul Play/Roost+Knock Off+Taunt/Roost. Best Defoger besides the ubers and Lati@s in my opinion.
I think Scolipede will rise because of obvious reasons (*cough* attack BS rose and speed boost *cough*)
I think Exploud might rise, and even though Porygon-Z can hit harder, Exploud has a better Stab and can afford run modest (because boosting its low speed is pointless, in my opinion), and can hit through subs.
I think Donphan will drop because its useage is just going to plummet with Mold Breaker Excadrill and Defoggers running around in OU.

Goodra can die from physical non-STAB super effective
252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 322-380 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Life Orb Pangoro Dragon Claw vs. 252 HP / 4 Def Goodra: 322-380 (83.8 - 98.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO after 2 layers of Spikes
What kind of idiot would leave a special tank out against a physical attacker?

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
From the looks of it, it definitely looks like a lot of Dragons will be coming down into UU this gen. Things like Salamence, Haxorus, Hydreigon, and to a lesser extent Latias (kinda likely because PS kiddies look down upon it a lot though it's decently popular in 1850) are rather likely to join the tier, and I'd be interested in how they fare. Of course, we also have a couple of new Dragons such as Dragalge and Noivern, and Kingdra and Flygon will most likely still remain. DragMag might be pretty good with all the dragons+Magneton, not to mention Magneton also has Flash Cannon to hit Fairies quite hard. Outrage and Draco Meteor hit most of the Pokemon in the tier hard. Fairies are also quite rare, the only two viable ones likely being Clefable and Gardevoir. Haxorus does have Poison Jab, and Hydreigon has Flash Cannon (Mence has Iron Head lol) to hit them though. Of course, Dragalge has Adaptability Sludge Bomb to deal major pain. I'd be interested if any of these dragons wind up in UU. If we do see the dragons, I think we're definitely going to steal Clefable and Gardevoir from RU.

Also, with rain around, I think we'd be stealing Kabutops from RU, and I think with Politoed in UU, Kabutops could find a home here as well. Kabutops would definitely be one of the best rain sweepers in the tier, he has a really awesome Attack stat, two great STAB moves only resisted by Empoleon and Ferroseed, and awesome Speed in the rain. Swords Dance or Choice Band would both be very potent, and Kabutops could punch holes in teams under the rain with Waterfalls and Stone Edges. Rapid Spin is also a pretty cool move that Kabutops can use, and most Spinblockers will cringe to it. Overall I think Kabutops would be really cool in XY UU as a great rain sweeper.

I'm not sure if Defog will be enough to stop Spikes from being super prominent, although if Mandibuzz winds up in UU (although it should be OU imo), it could make a pretty good Defogger that also owns Roserade and Deo-D/S. With Mandibuzz's awesome defensive typing, it could take on Rose and the Deoxys formes really well, and Foul Play also hits Froslass quite hard. I think RU/NU will definitely lose Manidbuzz if Spikers end up prominent.

And I'm not sure about Staraptor, it's still difficult to counter and was broken in the last two gens' UU's.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hydreigon's main role is this of a wallbreaker, and it struggles to do this in OU. Checking Aegislash is a nice perk of Hydreigon, but the nerf to Draco Meteor's BP and Fairy-types mean that Draco Meteor isn't the ''destroy all'' button it was in 5th gen and Hydreigon actually needs to predict between Fairy and Steel-types. The buff to Dark Pulse is nice though, giving to Hydreigon a decently strong spammable move that 2HKOes most of OU when followed by the correct move (Draco Meteor, Flash Cannon, or Fire Blast). Also, Hydreigon now has 4MSS, as it has to choose two of Fire Blast, Flash Cannon, and Superpower. Could end up either bottom OU or UU.

As for Haxorus and Salamence, they are both lost causes in OU. Salamence used to have three good sets, mixed, DD, and Scarf. The DD set is completely outclassed by Mega Char X while also having big 4MSS, the mixed set cannot wallbreak anymore and thus is not viable anymore, meaning that the only one still worth using is the Choice Scarf set on DragMag teams, which are not so good atm anyway. Haxorus can still wallbreak fine thanks to Poison Jab, but there are just better wallbreakers out there, such as mixed Aegislash, Mega Lucario, and Mega Garchomp, and with the end of 5th gen, noobs will stop using Haxorus just because it looks cool. Both Pokemon will fall to UU almost surely imo.

Oh, and regarding Starapatror, i think that it finally has a chance to not be broken in UU. Doublade, Mega Ampharos, Metagross, Tyrantrum, and possibly Klefki (which i think will drop to UU once people stop using it just to dick around with Prankster) are all solid checks or counters to it that can fit on all kinds of teams, and the introduction of powerful priority users that can OHKO or almost OHKO Staraptor after SR and/or a bit of recoil, such as Aqua Jet Crawdaunt and Mach Punch Breloom, will also definitely help keep Staraptor in check. So, between those Pokemon and Zapdos, Bronzong, and Rhyperior, it's very possible that Staraptor will finally find a place he can call home, if of course my assumptions about those Pokemon ending up in UU are correct.

Last edited:

Sunday

God Bless Nintys Incompetence :*)
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
I don't really understand why (some) people have such a hard time comprehending 600 bst dragons in UU. If they're completely outclassed by just one other Mon, then it's only natural that they're gonna drop down a tier. UU gets more and more powerful each gen, that's just the reality of adding more and more Pokemon and having relatively the same usage cutoffs.

Also as pointed out earlier in this thread, BW OU was oversaturated with Dragons. They were such a dominating force that a 147 base attack monster and an outright uncounterable wall-breaker were considered sub-par; the unbanning of Kyurem-B only further hammered this down. Hydreigon and Haxorus were already in a precarious position in late BW. With new dragons like M-Charizard-X and Goodra entering into the fray, something has to outclass another, and there has to be something that drops, even if it be 600 BST monsters (which, bear in mind, are competing directly with each other). Having 12 dragons all crammed in OU really seems unnatural, especially in the generation that's supposed to have (if only somewhat) balanced them.

As for today's usage rates, it's only a month into the metagame and things are quite chaotic at this point, but we're already seeing signs of some OU-dragons being neglected. Haxorus is already deep in UU-range right now and looks likely to stay there, and even Salamence and Hydreigon are in danger of falling. Meanwhile, Dragonite, Garchomp, and Latios are still very healthy in usage. It's very clear from what the November stats tell us, that XY's UU will be nothing like BW's UU. In fact, it appears more and more, as if our UU will resemble the past OU.

Also remember that we have had 600 BST mons in UU before. Remember Victini and Mew? (Mew used be Uber at one time...)

Last edited:
As for today's usage rates, it's only a month into the metagame and things are quite chaotic at this point, but we're already seeing signs of some OU-dragons being neglected. Haxorus is already deep in UU-range right now and looks likely to stay there, and even Salamence and Hydreigon are in danger of falling. It's very clear from what the November stats tell us, that XY's UU will be nothing like BW's UU. In fact, it appears more and more, as if our UU will resemble the past OU.

Also remember that we have had 600 BST mons in UU before. Remember Victini and Mew? (Mew used be Uber at one time...)
Many mons that were previously OU are still OU. Atleast the hard hitters. We might see some shifts in defensive mons. What did you have in mind that was in BW OU that is going to be in XY UU?

I am not sure if this was directed at me as I did mention that Salamence and Hydreigon will be UU. I say this due to the usage stats of november(the only stats we have) places them solidly in UU range. However also if you have played the uu Meta you will find that Salamence has a hard time standing out from the competition. Due to the introduction of new threats powerful threats will be bound to drop to UU which in no way diminishes their viability in OU.
For what it's worth, it's not specifically directed at you. It's been brought up quite a few times since this beginning of the thread. It's just my opinion, Sunday's comment is very true though.

Last edited:
A lot of people have been mentioning this, Eviolite Doublade being UU, well, yes it is amazing, but is it better than Eviolite Forreseed which is RU, or in another way, is it as good as Eviolite Gligar? Doublade lacks Stance Change, The ability to be Mixed, SpD, and King's Shield, while it has more Defense w/ Eviolite than Aegislash, it's SpD is no way near, the difference between Doublade and Aegislash is not only 1 tier far IMO, but at least 2 or BL2, then again UU is so unstable as of now we can't really determine anything, maybe a lot of previous OU pokemons will fall that more Walls are needed, but if everybody is saying that Salamence, Hydriegon, Haxorus, Most Likely) Goodra, and Noivern are falling to UU, that will cause so much for the fire types of UU, such as Victini, Darmanitan, Rotom-H (if it stays), Houndoom, and Chandelure (If it stays), those pokemons will be walled easily, could actually, one of those common fire types, drop to RU because of the dragons? Well we can't tell now, but if it's gonna happen anytime, it's not gonna happen anytime soon.

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
With lots of powerhouse dragons likely to drop down tiers, Granbull offers a solid counter to physical variants.

Granbull @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spd
Impish Nature
- Play Rough
- Heal Bell
- Sleep Talk
- Rest

252 Atk Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 166-196 (43.2 - 51%) Never a 2HKO due to Leftovers.
0 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 248-294 (84.3 - 100%)

Etc.

Salamence is a tough cookie to swallow as far it being allowed in UU, tbh. I think it was #18 for Gen V OU stats? If it were to drop to UU, it would have some great aspects that would make it broken.
1. That magical speed tier of 100. This alone separates it from the likes of Moxie Hera. If you slap on a DD, what can outspeed it that's common? Scarf Shao? HP Ice from Scarf Shao is a 2HKO after Stealth Rock thanks to the HP Nerf. If it were 70, it would've been a guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock. ]
2. Access to Roost prolongs its longevity and turns x4 ice weakness to a x2 weakness.
3. Ability to go mixed and break down the walls is why Moxie is so dangerous on Salamence. It can hit Bronzong with Fire Blast, then (almost) blindly spam Outrage. I don't think Fairies will be so prevalent to the point where Outrage isn't used.

Hydreigon however, is a completely different story. While it is a powerhouse that can break down walls (SmashPass receiver anybody?), it has certain traits that make it easily checked.
1. Speed Tier of 98 and almost never runs a +Speed Nature allows it to be outspeed by a lot of powerful fighting types common in UU; Mienshao, Cobalion, Virizion and Scarf Moxie Hera. Most of these run Max Attack, Swords Dance, etc.. Even a non-scarf Jolly Hera Speed Ties max speed/neutral Nature Hydreigon.
2. No access to Dragon Dance hinders it a bit. It has Tailwind, but requires a turn to set up.

I love me some Hydreigon and I think it would fit nicely in UU. Salamence and Haxorus would tip the balance to far in UU, imo.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
With lots of powerhouse dragons likely to drop down tiers, Granbull offers a solid counter to physical variants.

252 Atk Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 166-196 (43.2 - 51%) Never a 2HKO due to Leftovers.
0 Atk Granbull Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 248-294 (84.3 - 100%)
In UU, most Haxorus (Haxoruses? Haxori?) will probably be Life Orb Dragon Dance variants.
Assuming Granbull switches in on a Dragon Dance from Haxorus, you forgot to factor in Life Orb:

252 Atk Life Orb Haxorus Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 216-255 (56.2 - 66.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

However, due to Life Orb recoil, Granbull will have a much easier time landing a OHKO on Haxorus. So I guess it is a counter, although it takes a lot of damage in the process of countering. If Haxorus is banded and Poison Jabs on the switch, Granbull is unlikely to survive unless SR is up on Haxorus' side and not Granbull's.
All things considered, Granbull is the only thing that comes close to be able to take 2 hits from Haxorus after a Dragon Dance, so in that sense, it's pretty much the closest thing we have to a Haxorus counter in UU. Something's going to have to stop it, and Granbull might be the one for the job.

I can also see Granbull as a pretty good counter to Flygon, Scrafty, Heracross and Mienshao so he probably could be good in UU, but it still has to compete with Clefable as premier UU Fairy with its superior bulk, status immunity, and reliable recovery.

252+ Atk Scrafty Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 130-154 (33.8 - 40.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
-1 252 Atk Flygon Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 79-94 (20.5 - 24.4%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
-1 252 Atk Mienshao Poison Jab vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 100-118 (26 - 30.7%) -- guaranteed 4HKO
-1 252 Atk Heracross Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Granbull: 62-73 (16.1 - 19%) -- possible 6HKO

These last two are particularly impressive. Mienshao doesn't even carry Poison Jab usually, but he might start doing so because of Fairies.
Granbull seems to be the ultimate UU anti-scarfer. He pretty much takes on anything that happens to be at +1 speed

Granbull basically seems like a physically defensive equivalent to Clefable, as well as the only good physically defensive Fairy, so it's definitely viable in UU and maybe even OU. But as I said, lack of recovery hurts it (although your RestTalkBell combo could be a pretty ingenious alternative to that, did you come up with it? I've certainly never seen it before, and it just might work on Granbull).

Last edited:

McGrrr

Facetious
is a Contributor Alumnus
I can also see Granbull as a pretty good counter to Flygon, Scrafty, Heracross and Mienshao so he probably could be good in UU, but it still has to compete with Clefable as premier UU Fairy with its superior bulk, status immunity, and reliable recovery.
Except Clefable will be OU ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)