Resource ORAS OU Simple Questions, Simple Answers (Read the OP First!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hello folks. Does anyone know of a tool that can show you the coverage achieved by your party's movesets? Ideally this tool would be up to date with x and y. This would help with planing movesets for an entire team.
Specifically in terms of the Pokemon you don't hit neutrally with x, y, and z-type moves, I use this a ton: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/atktypeanalysis.php
It doesn't have new Pokemon added yet, but it does have updated typings for old Pokemon as well as Fairy as a coverage option.

In terms of absolute coverage throughout your whole team, I'm not sure if such a program exists. Defensively, I've heard good things about: http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder but have never personally tried it. Offensively, again, I'm not sure.

Can someone breed Altaria with Noivern to see if Boomburst might be an egg move? Surprisingly Swellow gets just wondering if Altaria does too! Afterall Altaria has something to do with sound..

I'm gonna use Escavalier on my UU Trick Room team. Overcoat got a small buff and I'm wondering if it is better than Swarm/Shell Armor. Is it worth to avoid Spore and Stun Spore etc. on Escavalier? (It's not released yet on Escavalier)

I have a Tyrunt that I bred this weekend Adamant Strong Jaw with 31/31/31/xx/xx/31 (I haven't done anything with it, it's still lv. 1) Is this a viable spread for competitive battle or should I look to re-roll and try for a 5th 31? Is it necessary? I have hatched about 120 eggs trying to get it :-/

Thinking of running:
252atk 252spe 4hp
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang
EQ
??? <-- Very open to suggestions

I'm gonna use Escavalier on my UU Trick Room team. Overcoat got a small buff and I'm wondering if it is better than Swarm/Shell Armor. Is it worth to avoid Spore and Stun Spore etc. on Escavalier? (It's not released yet on Escavalier)
Overcoat is probably its best Ability now, since you probably won't get to use Swarm and Shell Armor is pretty terrible unless you're trying to counter crit strategies. Immunity to Sleep Powder and Spore is great for when you try and counter Grass-types.

I have a Tyrunt that I bred this weekend Adamant Strong Jaw with 31/31/31/xx/xx/31 (I haven't done anything with it, it's still lv. 1) Is this a viable spread for competitive battle or should I look to re-roll and try for a 5th 31? Is it necessary? I have hatched about 120 eggs trying to get it :-/

Thinking of running:
252atk 252spe 4hp
Dragon Dance
Ice Fang
EQ
??? <-- Very open to suggestions
It's not that hard to get a 5IV Pokemon so I'd suggest you just keep going to get one that has everything but SpAtk. As for the move, you need a STAB and Head Smash is by far your strongest move. It also gets amazing coverage just with EQ and Ice Fang takes care of most of the Pokemon that resist the combo.

Overcoat is probably its best Ability now, since you probably won't get to use Swarm and Shell Armor is pretty terrible unless you're trying to counter crit strategies. Immunity to Sleep Powder and Spore is great for when you try and counter Grass-types.

It's not that hard to get a 5IV Pokemon so I'd suggest you just keep going to get one that has everything but SpAtk. As for the move, you need a STAB and Head Smash is by far your strongest move. It also gets amazing coverage just with EQ and Ice Fang takes care of most of the Pokemon that resist the combo.
Should I then use the tablet to get the other ability or just stick with Strong Jaw?

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Should I then use the tablet to get the other ability or just stick with Strong Jaw?
If by tablet you mean the ability capsule, i'm sad to say that it doesn't work on hidden abilities at all, so any tyrunt you hatch will end up with Strong Jaw. Furthermore, there's currently no known way to obtain a Rock Head Tyrunt to pass down the ability ingame, so its completely unobtainable atm (only reason we know it gets it is because scarf rock head tyrantrum is a thing in the battle maison iirc).

If by tablet you mean the ability capsule, i'm sad to say that it doesn't work on hidden abilities at all, so any tyrunt you hatch will end up with Strong Jaw. Furthermore, there's currently no known way to obtain a Rock Head Tyrunt to pass down the ability ingame, so its completely unobtainable atm (only reason we know it gets it is because scarf rock head tyrantrum is a thing in the battle maison iirc).
I thought it worked only if there wasn't a second ability available... is that wrong?

Thinking of putting together a Rain team with Politoed + Goodra + Ferrothorn + Azumarill as the core, but I'm not sure what to do with the last two spots (I want a spinner and a mega evolution). I'm trying to decide between Starmie and Mega Pinsir (for clearing out problematic grass and fighting types) or Mega Blastoise and Noivern (for momentum and hurricane spam). Any suggestions?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Thinking of putting together a Rain team with Politoed + Goodra + Ferrothorn + Azumarill as the core, but I'm not sure what to do with the last two spots (I want a spinner and a mega evolution). I'm trying to decide between Starmie and Mega Pinsir (for clearing out problematic grass and fighting types) or Mega Blastoise and Noivern (for momentum and hurricane spam). Any suggestions?
How about Noivern and Mega Scizor with Defog? You already have three Water-types.

Can you Trick/Switcheroo a Mega Evolution stone off a Pokemon before it MEvos? I'm pretty sure you can't once it evolves, but how about if it switches into the move?

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Can you Trick/Switcheroo a Mega Evolution stone off a Pokemon before it MEvos? I'm pretty sure you can't once it evolves, but how about if it switches into the move?
No, Mega Stones cannot be Switcherooed, Tricked, Knocked Off, Embargoed, or any other move that would inhibit a Pokemon from Mega Evolving.

Hello folks. Does anyone know of a tool that can show you the coverage achieved by your party's movesets? Ideally this tool would be up to date with x and y. This would help with planing movesets for an entire team.
Specifically in terms of the Pokemon you don't hit neutrally with x, y, and z-type moves, I use this a ton: http://www.psypokes.com/dex/atktypeanalysis.php
It doesn't have new Pokemon added yet, but it does have updated typings for old Pokemon as well as Fairy as a coverage option.

In terms of absolute coverage throughout your whole team, I'm not sure if such a program exists. Defensively, I've heard good things about: http://www.marriland.com/tools/team-builder but have never personally tried it. Offensively, again, I'm not sure.
You can use this one as well. It IS updated for Gen 6 types and pokemon but only handles one Pokemon at a time.

http://pokemondb.net/tools/type-coverage

Does anyone know if Kangaskhanite is being suspect tested for banning like Gengarite was, because MKhan is a huge threat with very few hard counters. (Sorry if this isn't the place to be asking that, just curious.)
Maybe once the Pokebank releases and OU stabilizes. From what I'm getting it's considered powerful, but not outright broken (as in, "borderline guaranteed to trap and crush virtually anything on a team") like Mega Gengar was.

How does putting EV's into HP compare to putting EV's into a defensive stat? Does it give the same relative amount of bulk, or will putting 252 into just Def or SDef (say I had already chose to put 252 into an attack) make a noticeable difference for that particular stat?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
How does putting EV's into HP compare to putting EV's into a defensive stat? Does it give the same relative amount of bulk, or will putting 252 into just Def or SDef (say I had already chose to put 252 into an attack) make a noticeable difference for that particular stat?
It depends on how high the stats are. For example, Aegislash gets the most mileage out of max HP investment rather than defenses because its HP is quite low, while its defenses are quite high. Blissey invests in the opposite for the same reason.

An attacker's offensive stat + the target's defensive stat are used to calculate a damage value for an attack, which is then deducted from the HP stat. Generally, investing in HP is the way to go unless the stat is really high (above base 110-ish). If a Pokemon has a huge defensive stat (e.g. Goodra's SpDef), it's better to invest in HP, which covers Goodra's lower Defense as well.

How does assault vest work with Aegislash? Would the +def/+sdf both translate over into attack/satk?
No. First off, Assault Vest only works on Special Defense, not Defense. Second, Aegislash's stats are modified via forme changes, with the different formes having completely different base stats.

What would happen is, he would gain the 50% bonus Special Defense in either forme, but in Shield Forme it would be based off of Shield Forme's fantastic special defense, and in Blade Forme it would be based off of Blade Forme's godawful Special Defense.

Back with another question for my Hydreigon:

I just remembered Hydreigon learns Roar. Now in my last question I mentioned that I run U-Turn as my 4th move in case of Fairies, so I can switch out and avoid bad match-ups.

Would it be smarter to just run Roar? I mean, I use U-Turn when I know I outspeed, and it doesn't do that much damage, (not nearly as much as say, stealth rock damage from the opponent being roared out) so should I use Roar instead? Does Roar bypass substitutes and are there any odd X&Y mechanics I need to worry about when using it?

Back with another question for my Hydreigon:
I just remembered Hydreigon learns Roar. Now in my last question I mentioned that I run U-Turn as my 4th move in case of Fairies, so I can switch out and avoid bad match-ups.
Would it be smarter to just run Roar? I mean, I use U-Turn when I know I outspeed, and it doesn't do that much damage, (not nearly as much as say, stealth rock damage from the opponent being roared out) so should I use Roar instead? Does Roar bypass substitutes and are there any odd X&Y mechanics I need to worry about when using it?
Roar is a negative-priority move, so unless you predict and use it on the switch you're exposing Hydreigon to free hits. If the intent is to be using a move to escape bad matchups, Roar is not what you want to use, because while it's moderately bulky it has enough common weaknesses that it's still liable to take a 2x effective smack to the face that you can't afford and most fairies will just 1HKO outright. It WILL work through subs, though, and work on any Pokemon that isn't Ingrained/Suction Cups/Soundproof.

U-Turn's damage isn't really the selling point of the move; it's the advantage it gives you (being able to switch second if your opponent chooses to switch that turn). Most of the Pokemon that deal noticeable damage using it are things like Mienshao (CB+Regenerator), Scizor (STAB, CB, Technician) and Rotom (STAB Volt Switch with Specs), and I'm actually a bit unsure about it for Hydreigon just because I have this feeling that that thing could easily pick up a useful support move like Taunt or run a fourth coverage move for more people smashin'.

Of the two I'd go with U-Turn. On whether U-Turn is preferable to anything else for that slot, I withhold judgment.

I want a good move set for my Morning Sun Solrock and Moonlight Lunatone. I need recommended natures, moves, E.V.s and held items.

I would like Solrock to have access to Flamethrower and Lunatone to have access to Ice Beam. Suggestions and opinions are welcomed.

Thanks!

Not so much a question, but looking for a favor from someone here who knows how to do damage calcs. Can you tell me how much HP Grass from a max Sp. Atk. Gastrodon would do to a Rotom-W? How about with a boost from Wise Glasses (+10%) or a +1 from a Storm Drain boost?

Not so much a question, but looking for a favor from someone here who knows how to do damage calcs. Can you tell me how much HP Grass from a max Sp. Atk. Gastrodon would do to a Rotom-W? How about with a boost from Wise Glasses (+10%) or a +1 from a Storm Drain boost?
http://pokemonshowdown.com/damagecalc/

252+ SpA Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 108-128 (35.5 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ SpA Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 108-128 (44.6 - 52.8%) -- 24.6% chance to 2HKO

252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 118-140 (48.7 - 57.8%) -- 95.7% chance to 2HKO
252+ SpA Wise Glasses Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 118-140 (38.8 - 46%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

+1 252+ SpA Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 160-190 (52.6 - 62.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+1 252+ SpA Gastrodon Hidden Power Grass vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Rotom-W: 160-190 (66.1 - 78.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Really depends on Rotom-W's stat spread. I'm not sure if they typically run full HP investment but I can't imagine many of them running fully invested in HP and SpD or with SpD natures.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)