Silent but Deadly

I have been playing X and Y recently, and I have noticed that there are a lot of good Pokémon that were introduced this generation, as well as new items, new abilities, and a new type. With that being said, I am having trouble finding good Pokémon for my current team. Here is a rundown of what I have so far:
upload_2013-11-15_10-9-8.jpeg
upload_2013-11-15_10-16-16.jpeg

A little more in-depth:
—————————————

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Dark Pulse
- Spikes

Greninja is my specially-inclined sweeper. With a life orb boost and maximum investment in Special Attack he will be doing considerable damage to many targets. I chose to run Surf as opposed to Hydro Pump because I'm not good with luck and there were too many times when I missed a crucial hit with it, so I chose accuracy over power. Ice Beam and Dark Pulse are for coverage, and if I find my target too unfavorable, U-turn is for dealing damage and keeping momentum. I was thinking of switching Life Orb for Expert Belt, since I've seen him lose HP way too easily, and he has quite the type coverage, but if anyone thinks that I'm over-worrying, feel free to correct me.

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- King's Shield
- Swords Dance
- Shadow Sneak
- Sacred Sword

Aegislash is my go-to for physical attacks. King's Shield is for him to be able to check attackers relying on contact moves, and since he switches into Shield Forme regardless of whether the move is actually executed, I also use it to tank hits that I know I'm not able to take otherwise. Swords Dance is, well, Swords Dance, Shadow Sneak is for powerful priority, and Sacred Sword is for unresisted coverage. I'm not sure if Iron head is the better option in this case, so if anyone has insight on that, please let me know.

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Modest Nature
- Synthesis
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb
- Sleep Powder

Mega Venusaur is the bulkiest grass type I know. It just cannot be taken down. Thick fat adds to its bulkiness, and the EV's are invested to prolong its lifespan on both ends of the spectrum. Giga Drain and Sludge Bomb are obvious STAB's, in my opinion, providing health and status. Sleep Powder is an alternative method of inflicting status and dealing with checks, and Synthesis is for and even longer lifeline. Not much else can be said about this, other than the fact that it is completely walled by steel types, most notably Ferrothorn and Skarmory.

Avalugg @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Impish Nature
- Avalanche
- Earthquake
- Rapid Spin
- Recover

I do not have Avalugg on my game card yet, but I've been using him on Showdown, and from what I've seen, I can say for certain that he is like a wall of adamantium: untearable, indestructible, unconquerable. He survived a +4 Sacred Sword, and compounded by the fact that he has Rapid Spin, I thought that he could have a spot on my team. Recover is for longevity and Rapid Spin is for a clean field. Avalanche is a nice STAB, and since Avalugg is extremely slow, in addition to being able to survive any hit due to his Sturdiness, the -4 Priority isn't too detrimental. Earthquake is for coverage.

Galvantula @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 Spe / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Volt Switch
- Sticky Web

Galvantula is my hazard setter. Sticky web lowers allows for my slower Pokémon, like Aegislash and Venusaur, to be able to set up more reliably, as well as allowing my faster Pokémon to surely outspeed the opponent. Thunder is a good primary STAB thanks to Compound Eyes, providing 120 BP, 91% accuracy, and 30% chance of paralysis. Alternatively, Volt Switch can be used for switching out while still doing damage. Bug Buzz is a nice secondary STAB, allowing me to handle Magic Bounce Espeon, and Focus Sash guarantees that it will at least set up a Web before going out.

Garchomp (F) @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Dual Chop
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge/Fire Fang/Rock Slide

Garchomp is my final Pokémon, but that doesn't mean that he's my last resort. I chose to run a SD set, and the Lum Berry is so that I won't have to worry about confusion after my first set of Outrages. Earthquake and Outrage are my STAB moves because they are powerful, accurate, and reliable. Fire Fang is for coverage, although I have use Stone Edge before and it has had its uses, so I can't decide which to use. I'm pretty sure that Sand Veil is still banned from OU, but even if it isn't, it still seems more of a situational ability since I'm not running a sand team, so I ran Rough Skin instead. I prefer Jolly nature in order to be sure that I can set up before taking a hit.

This is my team so far. It's not perfect, I know, but it is nevertheless an attempt so far. If anyone has anything to say about anything that was posted above, or has ideas on other good teammates, please, PLEASE, comment on the post below. I take all advice to heart, and I never ignore even the most minuscule suggestion. By posting your suggestions, you will provide knowledge for others, and even provide knowledge for yourself. So, please, feel free to praise me, condemn me, reward me, reprove me, etc., as long as you provide constructive criticism.

Also, please do not mention anything that is only obtainable through Pokébank.

Edit: you can now add Pokébank ideas if you want.

Last edited:
Despite your call for help you made a pretty nice team I have to give you credit on that. There are a few changes id like to suggest however. On Garchomp you should definitely run Stone Edge over Fire Fang or you will be utterly stopped by Togekiss and Fire Fang's severe lack of power won't be doing Garchomp any favors. You should also consider dropping Outrage for dual chop or dragon claw so you are not locked into a dangerous situation with the addition of fairies and even more steel threats. As for it's item you should consider a life orb or keep lum berry. I wouldn't run yache as it is very situational ad it will only help against Mamoswine's ice shard assuming you are healthy. Also on Greninja, consider running spikes to take advantage of Aegislash's spin blocking abilities and help gain residual damage on your opponent. Most of your pokemon are offensive and should do a good job putting pressure on your opponent so spikes would fit perfectly. If you so run spikes consider running an air balloon on aegislash. Not only will that allow it to spinblock Excadrill but it will provide him with several set up oppurtunities on pokemon such as Gliscor and opposing Garchomp. I believe these changes could improve your team's consistency.
Garchomp @ Lum Berry/ Life Orb
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Greninja @ Life Orb
-U Turn/Spikes
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse/ Spikes

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-King's Shield

Despite your call for help you made a pretty nice team I have to give you credit on that. There are a few changes id like to suggest however. On Garchomp you should definitely run Stone Edge over Fire Fang or you will be utterly stopped by Togekiss and Fire Fang's severe lack of power won't be doing Garchomp any favors. You should also consider dropping Outrage for dual chop or dragon claw so you are not locked into a dangerous situation with the addition of fairies and even more steel threats. As for it's item you should consider a life orb or keep lum berry. I wouldn't run yache as it is very situational ad it will only help against Mamoswine's ice shard assuming you are healthy. Also on Greninja, consider running spikes to take advantage of Aegislash's spin blocking abilities and help gain residual damage on your opponent. Most of your pokemon are offensive and should do a good job putting pressure on your opponent so spikes would fit perfectly. If you so run spikes consider running an air balloon on aegislash. Not only will that allow it to spinblock Excadrill but it will provide him with several set up oppurtunities on pokemon such as Gliscor and opposing Garchomp. I believe these changes could improve your team's consistency.
Garchomp @ Lum Berry/ Life Orb
-Swords Dance
-Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge

Greninja @ Life Orb
-U Turn/Spikes
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Dark Pulse/ Spikes

Aegislash @ Air Balloon
-Swords Dance
-Shadow Sneak
-Sacred Sword
-King's Shield
Thanks for the input! However, on Greninja, it's a bit difficult to decide what to replace with Spikes. On the one hand, losing Dark Pulse means losing a bit of type coverage, and relying on U-Turn for Psychic types is a bit risky in my opinion. On the other hand, losing U-turn means getting rid of my only physical attack, which means I have to spend 2+ hours rebreeding for a Timid Nature. Might you have any recommendations to ease the burden of this decision?

Don't replace Dark pulse on your greninja, it's too useful against ghost and psychic types as well as the ubiquitous Physically defensive rotom-w that is two hit ko'd by 252 timid greninja dark pulse. (As for having to breed a new one with timid nature, just keep the one you have drop u turn and suffer the 10% defense loss, he's frail anyways. If it bugs you then go through the rebreeding process, try to get a hold of all the good natures on dittos to make it easier :)

The air balloon aegislash set i can attest to being annoying as hell, i encountered a mixed offesive one online that gave me a lot of trouble (Shadow Ball @ Sacred Sword)

Just a nitpick sand veil garchomp is superior over rough skin for set up purposes, due to the omnipresence of tyranitar, one in four teams seems to have him online for me. Rough skin is better on a bulky garchomp with rocky helmet or leftovers.

Otherwise nothing else stands out to me at the moment, hope i was helpful :]

Don't replace Dark pulse on your greninja, it's too useful against ghost and psychic types as well as the ubiquitous Physically defensive rotom-w that is two hit ko'd by 252 timid greninja dark pulse. (As for having to breed a new one with timid nature, just keep the one you have drop u turn and suffer the 10% defense loss, he's frail anyways. If it bugs you then go through the rebreeding process, try to get a hold of all the good natures on dittos to make it easier :)

The air balloon aegislash set i can attest to being annoying as hell, i encountered a mixed offesive one online that gave me a lot of trouble (Shadow Ball @ Sacred Sword)

Just a nitpick sand veil garchomp is superior over rough skin for set up purposes, due to the omnipresence of tyranitar, one in four teams seems to have him online for me. Rough skin is better on a bulky garchomp with rocky helmet or leftovers.

Otherwise nothing else stands out to me at the moment, hope i was helpful :]
You very much were. Thanks!

Also, I am a bit undecided on the optimal fourth move for Garchomp. I am debating between Stone Edge (High BP and Rock Coverage but low PP and Accuracy), Rock Slide (Less powerful than SE but higher accuracy, PP, and flinch chance), and Fire Fang (Flinch and Burn Chance, but Fire type instead of Rock). Which one should I use?

Mamoswine is going to do everything your avalugg does but better. You say that he holds his ground to a 4x sacred sword? You won't want to be in with a pokemon weak to fighting against anything with sacred sword, this detail comes as very surprising as by my calculations Avalugg would fall in such circumstances, but anyway, my point is mamoswine's typing has it's pros and cons, but overall the STAB on Eq and the immunity to electric attacks will benefit your team well. So I suggest this set:

Mamoswine
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash

This team really wants stealth rocks esp greninja and aegislash.
Chomp is your most optimal setter (also only setter!).

Use a focus slash. Drop sd for rocks. fire blast over stone edge. Also dragon claw for draco meteor. It sounds like a bad idea but you can draco rotom or something after it burns you as it kills you so aegislash has an easier time sweeping and greninja can now kill it with dark pulse iirc.

Sd chomp just isn't good imo. It's too slow to sweep teams because priority and scarf ice moves are everywhere. You could run yache but still, most teams have multiple priority users and a scarf ice user.

Mamoswine is going to do everything your avalugg does but better. You say that he holds his ground to a 4x sacred sword? You won't want to be in with a pokemon weak to fighting against anything with sacred sword, this detail comes as very surprising as by my calculations Avalugg would fall in such circumstances, but anyway, my point is mamoswine's typing has it's pros and cons, but overall the STAB on Eq and the immunity to electric attacks will benefit your team well. So I suggest this set:

Mamoswine
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Stealth Rock
- Icicle Crash
This is a nice addition to my team that I could use, but how would I replace my rapid spinner? I'm not saying that this is a bad idea, but I would like to be able to deal with hazards as well. I'll try this set out for now, see how it fares, and maybe change a few things around in my original post. Thanks for the input though!

This team isn't in desperate need of a rapid spinner, chances are you are leading with Gavantula and other than that there aren't many noticeable threats. These days, entry hazards are being used less and less and most of what you will see is rocks which isn't devastating to your team. I think you can survive without rapid spin, but if you want, you could also use a Dolphan with Ice shard and Rapid Spin which won't be as effective with coverage, but will give you rapid spin back.

This team isn't in desperate need of a rapid spinner, chances are you are leading with Gavantula and other than that there aren't many noticeable threats. These days, entry hazards are being used less and less and most of what you will see is rocks which isn't devastating to your team. I think you can survive without rapid spin, but if you want, you could also use a Dolphan with Ice shard and Rapid Spin which won't be as effective with coverage, but will give you rapid spin back.
Ok, I'll stick with Mamo for now. Thanks for the tip on hazards, too. Btw, do you know how to post a poll on top of the thread? I've seen other people post such polls, and I would like to make one too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)