Yveltal

Status
Not open for further replies.
0 Atk Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 290-344 (82.1 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So no. But damn close.

Whereas:

76 Atk Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 312-368 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (MMY only has 353 HP)

0 Atk Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 290-344 (82.1 - 97.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

So no. But damn close.

Whereas:

76 Atk Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 312-368 (88.3 - 104.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock (MMY only has 353 HP)
I thought you were using Life Orb in that set?
0 Atk Life Orb Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 377-447 (106.7 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO

So no. But damn close.

Whereas:

0 Atk Dark Aura Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 390-462 (110.4 - 130.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO

How well would this work? Never done any competitive battles here and I'm new to this kinda stuff.

Nature: Calm

Moveset:
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Foul Play

Item: Leftovers

I dunno anything about EVs though. Its like the other Leftovers set on the closed thread, except I replaced Roost with Oblivion Wing.

How well would this work? Never done any competitive battles here and I'm new to this kinda stuff.

Moveset:
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Foul Play

I dunno anything about EVs though. Its like the other Leftovers set on the closed thread, except I replaced Roost with Oblivion Wing.
I think the best way to find out for yourself would be to test it. I'm no expert on Gen 6 Ubers myself but from what I've been reading, that looks fine in theory, if nothing else.

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Moveset:
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Foul Play

If you're going to go for toxic stalling then you're better off just going roost > oblivion wing for more/reliable healing. If you're toxic stalling, your goal isn't to kill ASAP but rather but let them slowly die from toxic.

Moveset:
- Oblivion Wing
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Foul Play

I feel like if you want a toxic set like that you might as well use roost. Oblivion wing won't be healing too much if you don't invest EVs in offense, and if you invest in offenses you're gonna be taking even more damage, but oblivion wing won't be healing enough.

If you really wanna use oblivion wing to heal, make an offensive set (or an assault vest set if you want to take hits but still hit hard).

I thought you were using Life Orb in that set?
0 Atk Life Orb Yveltal Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Mega Mewtwo Y: 377-447 (106.7 - 126.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO
Whoops. Forgot to factor that item in. All right, that settles it then! 252 HP 252 SpA, and 4 Atk.

I feel like if you want a toxic set like that you might as well use roost. Oblivion wing won't be healing too much if you don't invest EVs in offense, and if you invest in offenses you're gonna be taking even more damage, but oblivion wing won't be healing enough.

If you really wanna use oblivion wing to heal, make an offensive set (or an assault vest set if you want to take hits but still hit hard).
That's the thing, I don't know any other sets I can use since I know very little about this competitive play stuff and am still learning a LOT of its ropes, I'm just a beginner and mediocre overall. Or at least, I don't know what else I can do with the Calm nature for Yveltal, other than a Toxic set.

But thanks anyway, :) I'll replace Oblivion Wing with Roost and see how well that works.

Hi, i have a bold yveltal(-atk +def) but i want to make an offensive set with oblivion wing/dark pulse/ focus blast/sucker punch, but what EVs shoul i put in it? 252 SpA and what else?

speed(mine has low speed IV)? hp for general bulk? or def and use assault vest?
and what item too?

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
If you have a bold yveltal there really isnt a reason to run an offensive set. Just run a physically defensive set - if you combine its physical bulk (it's higher than Skarmory's) with Foul Play, you can smash a number of physical attackers (notable examples include Mega Mewtwo X and Extremekiller). Foul Play/Taunt/Roost/Toxic

If you have a bold yveltal there really isnt a reason to run an offensive set. Just run a physically defensive set - if you combine its physical bulk (it's higher than Skarmory's) with Foul Play, you can smash a number of physical attackers (notable examples include Mega Mewtwo X and Extremekiller). Foul Play/Taunt/Roost/Toxic
Also Physically Bulky Yvetal is good way to stop SD Ghost Arceus, which can be pain to deal with for unprepared team. 252 HP and 88 Def EVs with positive Nature mean that SD Ghost Arceus can't 2HKO you back with any standard move even with SR up.

Hi, i have a bold yveltal(-atk +def) but i want to make an offensive set with oblivion wing/dark pulse/ focus blast/sucker punch, but what EVs shoul i put in it? 252 SpA and what else?

speed(mine has low speed IV)? hp for general bulk? or def and use assault vest?
and what item too?
I'm no expert at this competitive stuff (as mentioned before), but I wouldn't recommend that if I were you. Forget the SpA EV, if your Yveltal has Bold, why the hell would you use an offensive set (especially when Sucker Punch won't do too much)? Like the mod said, just use a Physical Defensive set with Roost, Foul Play, Toxic, and Taunt w/ Leftovers item. You could not only stall opponents, but also still able to hit hard against physical glass cannons with Foul Play.

I have a Yveltal with Calm Nature (-speed + SpD) and I'm using the same set as yours. Your Foul Play would about 10% less damage than mine and you're better suited for Physical Defense, but at least yours is faster. That's a plus :P

But if you really want an Offensive set so badly, then just trade for a different Yveltal with Timid Nature or something better suited for Offense. If you use an offensive set on a bold one, then you are kinda wasting potential on it, no offense.

Ev Spread:
248 Hp
8 SpA
252 SpD
Nature: Calm (-Atk +SpD)
Moves:
~Oblivion Wing
~Roost
~Substitute
~Dark Pulse
The only threat that I've encountered with this set is... Yeah, none. But I do think a Tyranitar could pose a problem, as he resists all my attacks. Because of this, i keep around a keldeo and Thundurus with FB. But the main point of this set is to set up a sub, then start healing. Roost is for those uncommon situations where I come down to below 30% health. Dark Pulse is great because it not only gets STAB, but also an Aura boost thanks to Yveltal's ability. Fairies can pose a threat, so I would recommend a somewhat, but not completely, late game set up, like... A mid game, I guess, when you've gotten a good field of the opponent's team and what their sets are, so you know when to get the switch in. This is something that, when used correctly, can take out an entire team. For team options, I recommend, of course, a check to Fairies, and Tyranitar, as I mentioned before. I haven't tried it now with all the new ubers flowing in through Pokebank, but I think it could live. Idk, this it my first time writing about a Pokémon.

Last edited:
I always carry a Sylveon on my team as well as Vaporeon and no Yveltal I've faced yet has managed to scratch it. Moonblast does serious damage to this thing, Ice Beam also puts a dent in it, and none I've met have had anywhere near the power to fight back. I expect most Yveltal users are generic non-competitive people though, as I see Oblivion Wing used on my Fairies an awful lot.

You are the first person I have ever met who runs Sylveon and Vaporeon in Ubers. A non-Hyper Voice Sylveon at that...

My guess at this point is that either your battles have been over Free Battle on Wi-Fi (most legendary Pokemon you encounter are from the base game, unEVed, holding no item, no optimal IVs, bad nature, etc) or...something else.

SnoopingGil

professional lurker
To be fair, 4 SpA Sylveon does hit offensive Yveltal pretty hard with Pixilated Hyper Voice (70.7 - 83.9%, Mild Yveltal), while Oblivion Wing does only 28.6 - 34% back (assuming 252+ SpA Yveltal and 252 HP / 252+ SDef Sylveon). Specially Defensive Yveltal narrowly avoids the 2HKO (43.9 - 51.8%) but Foul Play hardly scratches Sylveon.

You are the first person I have ever met who runs Sylveon and Vaporeon in Ubers. A non-Hyper Voice Sylveon at that...

My guess at this point is that either your battles have been over Free Battle on Wi-Fi (most legendary Pokemon you encounter are from the base game, unEVed, holding no item, no optimal IVs, bad nature, etc) or...something else.
I like a challenge, haha. Majority of my battles are Free on Wi-Fi sure, but I've had my fair share of competitive teams.I'll probably consider Suicune over Vaporeon at some point but we'll see...(not that Suicune is really Uber suited either but hey).

But yes Yveltal does a poor job of scratching Sylveon. Sylveon breaks a few top tier threats actually, at least with a calm mind or two. Yveltal's only chance is really if you have paralysis/confusion set up or just send out a Metagross if that's even still viable these days.

I was under the impression that this thread was to highlight Yveltal's strengths, not weaknesses =/ Also, why would you keep it out on something that can clearly 2HKO it? If I see a Sylveon switch into Yveltal, I simply switch into something along the lines of MegaVenusaur, MegaAggron, or other Pokemon that can stare Fairies in the face.

This thread is meant to have discussion on the pros and cons of yveltal. Just hyping a mon is never healthy (Look at xerneas geomancy). Also non of the mons you mentioned are common threats in the metagame. So even if you do run those mons, it doesn't show how a common ubers team would handle it.

I'm at the point where I have to catch Yveltal to carry on, and I can't decide which Nature to get. Yveltal can literally run any Nature it wants and get away with it.

Adamant/Jolly: Physical Attacker
Timid/Modest: Wall/Special Attacker
-Def/SDef +Atk/SAtk/Spe: Mixed Attacker
+Def/SDef: Wall
Neutral: Mixed Attacker

I'm looking for opinions on a good Nature that I won't kick myself for choosing later on. Even the choice between Modest/Timid is hard and Sucker Punch makes it very tempting to run a Nature that doesn't cut Attack.
I have a Yveltal with the Calm Nature ( + SDef - Spe) that runs as a Staller with Leftovers: Foul Play, Roost, Taunt, and Toxic. I am LOVIN it, though I do miss his signature move Oblivion Wing. You can smash hard against strong Physical Attackers like Garchomp or Mega Mewtwo X with it or wall against bulkier dudes by Roosting and using toxic in their faces, also taunting against clerics or other non attackers. I kicked my friend's ass today because of it.

Having offense is nice, but Defense can be just as good. I didn't expect much from these moves, but I was proved wrong the more I used my Yveltal. Thanks to this website, I now prefer defensive Pokémon over Offensive ones; I get to piss them off and annoy them and endure their hits!

Well, I've used Yveltal a few times, and I've got to say, It's really versatile. between Defensive sets, offensive sets, and in between, It could possibly fit into most teams. Despite the SR weakness, the buffed defog is really useful for it, even though it can't use it. Better watch out for fairies though. I think my favourite set so far is between LO and Physically defensive, one for good firepower, the other for checking many physical threats, like E-killer and Groudon.

Also, Y-Bacon: https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...mblr.com%2Btumblr_mu71ab3X861sr0xcpo1_500.gif

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 136 Spd / 252 SAtk / 76 Atk / 44 HP
Mild Nature
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Oblivion Wing
- Substitute
Is LO really a good idea on this Yveltal set combined with substitute? I know Oblivion Wing provides a lot of recovery but isn't that still counter productive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)