Pokémon Carbink

Status
Not open for further replies.
I haven't exactly tested Carbink yet, but I think the thing could probably be the best Talonflame counter around. If they're not carrying Steel Wing that is.

Clear Body
Bold @ Rocky Helmet
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Light Screen / Reflect

Bold + Power Gem because 100% accuracy and it doesn't care about Bulk Up. Stealth Rock is an obvious one. Skill Swap is tricky and requires a bit of prediction, but done right Carbink becomes impossible to trap by Dugtrio and Mega Gengar. It can also yank other good abilities from Pokemon that rely on them like Scizor's Technician, which would make its Bullet Punch much more mellow. It's also why it has Clear Body, since handing Sturdy to something like Scizor would not be a good thing. Screens are of course valued by many teams.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 63-75 (20.72 - 24.67%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 63-75 (20.72 - 24.67%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Carbink easily withstands the bird's main STAB choices, with the recoil and Rocky Helmet putting it closer to fainting every time. U-turn also becomes riskier, since it does pathetic damage and shaves off another 1/6 max HP. Steel Wing eats Carbink right up of course, but it's not terribly common.

0 SpA Carbink Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 268-324 (90.23 - 109.09%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Even with no investment Carbink can take Talonflame down with just about any prior damage. A small bit of investment lets Carbink keep up with Roost. Any kind of investment lets Carbink nail Talonflame if it decides to boost.

While it would be rather risky to base a whole team slot to dealing with one opponent, making it almost dead weight against teams without it, given the trouble Talonflame seems to be able to cause having a good option against it could be nice.

I haven't exactly tested Carbink yet, but I think the thing could probably be the best Talonflame counter around. If they're not carrying Steel Wing that is.
The problem is that outside that niche utility as a Talonflame's full stop, it doesn't do much else other than set up the rocks imo. You can take out Talonflame (albeit it is indeed quite a dangerous poke) with a Flying resist that can take a Flare Blitz (so, rock types sound fair) or an extremespeed user, and if rocks are up before he switches in, then it's all the easier. If the opponent has somethin that can use Carbink as a set-up fodder, then this would be his chance, so I am not so sure about it bein that useful for an answer to Talonflame .. again, that's just my opinion.

It's a fair point, and this Carbink can indeed job very easily to anything that doesn't have to make contact. I do think killing Talonflame is easiest while on the defensive, as it has no reason to stay in against something like Aerodactyl or Dragonite. Carbink is one of the few Pokemon that can rock a Rocky Helmet and still be a wall. Of the Pokemon that resist the bird's STABs only Onix has higher Def, and it's Onix so it's already out.

But this isn't the Talonflame topic so I should probably shut up and go test Carbink.

It's a fair point, and this Carbink can indeed job very easily to anything that doesn't have to make contact. I do think killing Talonflame is easiest while on the defensive, as it has no reason to stay in against something like Aerodactyl or Dragonite. Carbink is one of the few Pokemon that can rock a Rocky Helmet and still be a wall. Of the Pokemon that resist the bird's STABs only Onix has higher Def, and it's Onix so it's already out.

But this isn't the Talonflame topic so I should probably shut up and go test Carbink.
My problem with RockyHelmBink is that it doesnt have any real form of recovery so you are just there to be fodder

Don't worry, we were examinin Carbink's utility here as a counter to a certain pokemon, it wasn't a talk about Talonflame. (which if you prevent it from settin up isn't that devastatin, but it does require some smart playin to beat it nonetheless)
I haven't really tested Carbink, I go with it's stats, movepool and other people's impressions, and the fact that it lacks recovery hurts it alot. Rocky helmet sounds good in theory, but then you don't even have leftovers, so if you want Carbink alive to do w/e you want it to do for a long time, then it will need wish and maybe cleric support, so already it demands quite some support and doesn't do too much in return. Or, at least that's how I see it.

I don't think base 50 HP makes Leftovers really ideal. Wish support sounds better.

Basically it comes down to whether or not you'd consider a trade between Carbink and Talonflame worth it. I think it might be.

I don't think base 50 HP makes Leftovers really ideal. Wish support sounds better.

Basically it comes down to whether or not you'd consider a trade between Carbink and Talonflame worth it. I think it might be.
For now lol. When tiers are released and Talon is OU Carbink wont be there to wall it. I think the question for Carbink is what is the best possible support set you can run with it and how do you think itll do in low tiers

For now lol. When tiers are released and Talon is OU Carbink wont be there to wall it. I think the question for Carbink is what is the best possible support set you can run with it and how do you think itll do in low tiers
How do you figure? I don't think there's anything stopping you from using Pokemon in tiers higher than their own.

Last edited:
How do you figure? I don't think there's anything stopping you from using Pokemon in tiers higher than their own.
I never said there was. I said overall Carbink and Talonflame will not be placed in the same tier so for ther overwhelming portion of the meta Carbink will probably not be there to wall it. But of course people can still run it lol ill be running Gourgeist in any tier for example

Sorry I miss read and caused a big deal.

Is this carbink set supposed to sweep with CM or set up trick room for others? It's sweeping capabilities are small with only 50Spa
supporter, maybe thunder wave in for the attacks, it just to boast itself and use stealth rock and trick room, does he learn spikes?

How about a set w/ Screens, Stealth Rock and Stone Edge/Rock Slide? It allows Carbink to at least deal some damage after rocks and screens if you don't want to waste a switch.

My first post! :D
Originally, I had made a Pre-Pokebank OU team, and I had Carbink as my lead. I had a similar set to the one above. My set for him was:
Carbink @ Light Clay
252 HP/252 Defense/ 4 Special Attack
Bold Nature
  • Stealth Rock
  • Light Screen
  • Reflect
  • Moonblast
I have to say Carbink made a decent Suicide lead, but if it got Taunted it became dead weight. It has pathetic power, even with Moonblast. However, it did a fairly good job at getting Stealth Rock and Screens up, so I guess it has that going for him. But just a LITTLE more HP would have been fantastic. 50? Really?

I rocked a Carbink with dual screens, Stealth Rock and Moonblast. He's about the toughest thing I've seen in a while. In one battle he actually got two KOs (Zoroark and Pangoro.) EDIT: This is your set, Splash24. It's quite good. I think Carbink is viable in UU if used properly...

In PS I use this set:
Carbink @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Calm Mind

Easy to set up rocks, easy to force switch on bug/fire/flying type so free calm mind/toxic. It's useful for more than one pokemon (Talonflame) aswell, Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir cant touch this thing. I personally use Carbink quite a bit, he's not completely useless.

Could anyone make some calculations about how much does the average Mega Pinsir's Earthquake to a max Def Carbink?
252 Atk MegaPinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 136-160 (44.73 - 52.63%) -- guaranteed 3HKO
252+ Atk MegaPinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 148-176 (48.68 - 57.89%) -- 52.34% chance to 2HKO

In PS I use this set:
Carbink @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Calm Mind

Easy to set up rocks, easy to force switch on bug/fire/flying type so free calm mind/toxic. It's useful for more than one pokemon (Talonflame) aswell, Mega Charizard Y and Mega Pinsir cant touch this thing. I personally use Carbink quite a bit, he's not completely useless.
Lest we forget Mega Pinsir gets one chance to set up on this:

+2 252 Atk Mega Pinsir Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 268-316 (88.15 - 103.94%) -- 25% chance to OHKO

But yeah, with sturdy intact Carbink probably wins out 1v1 which is pretty cool ?

Last edited:
In PS I use this set:
Carbink @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Toxic
- Calm Mind

Does Char Y not run Solarbeam or something? I thought that was pretty standard on it.
Is it a viable TR user at higher tiers? I don't doubt he will be good at setting up TR at least in NU or even RU.
Slowbro, Reuniclus and Trevanant are far better TR users. They can all actually attack, Slowbro has Regenerator, Reuniclus has Magic Guard, and Trevenant has immunities and Natural Cure if need be. They are all able to come in far more often.

Clear Body
Bold @ Rocky Helmet
252 HP / 252 Def / 6 SpD
- Power Gem
- Stealth Rock
- Skill Swap
- Light Screen / Reflect

Bold + Power Gem because 100% accuracy and it doesn't care about Bulk Up. Stealth Rock is an obvious one. Skill Swap is tricky and requires a bit of prediction, but done right Carbink becomes impossible to trap by Dugtrio and Mega Gengar. It can also yank other good abilities from Pokemon that rely on them like Scizor's Technician, which would make its Bullet Punch much more mellow. It's also why it has Clear Body, since handing Sturdy to something like Scizor would not be a good thing. Screens are of course valued by many teams.

252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Flare Blitz vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 63-75 (20.72 - 24.67%) -- guaranteed 5HKO
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Carbink: 63-75 (20.72 - 24.67%) -- guaranteed 5HKO

Carbink easily withstands the bird's main STAB choices, with the recoil and Rocky Helmet putting it closer to fainting every time. U-turn also becomes riskier, since it does pathetic damage and shaves off another 1/6 max HP. Steel Wing eats Carbink right up of course, but it's not terribly common.

0 SpA Carbink Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 268-324 (90.23 - 109.09%) -- 50% chance to OHKO

Even with no investment Carbink can take Talonflame down with just about any prior damage. A small bit of investment lets Carbink keep up with Roost. Any kind of investment lets Carbink nail Talonflame if it decides to boost.

While it would be rather risky to base a whole team slot to dealing with one opponent, making it almost dead weight against teams without it, given the trouble Talonflame seems to be able to cause having a good option against it could be nice.
Regirock is the definitive best Talonflame counter, putting Carbink's defenses to shame sporting 80/200/100 defenses and 100 in attack as well. +6 Talonflame has at best a 4HKO against a max/max Regirock, and Regirock gets Curse, Drain Punch and Rest Talk. Carbink has a niche in being able to lay down screens and Stealth Rock, but Clefable is a fairy that can do the same, gets Softboiled and Wish for healing, and the amazing Magic Guard ability with less weaknesses. It's really outclassed in many regards. Carbink sounds like it'd be fantastic in little cup though with a Hippopotas. *shrugs* I say if you aren't using something with Sand Stream don't even bother with Carbink.

Does Char Y not run Solarbeam or something? I thought that was pretty standard on it.

Slowbro, Reuniclus and Trevanant are far better TR users. They can all actually attack, Slowbro has Regenerator, Reuniclus has Magic Guard, and Trevenant has immunities and Natural Cure if need be. They are all able to come in far more often.

Regirock is the definitive best Talonflame counter, putting Carbink's defenses to shame sporting 80/200/100 defenses and 100 in attack as well. +6 Talonflame has at best a 4HKO against a max/max Regirock, and Regirock gets Curse, Drain Punch and Rest Talk. Carbink has a niche in being able to lay down screens and Stealth Rock, but Clefable is a fairy that can do the same, gets Softboiled and Wish for healing, and the amazing Magic Guard ability with less weaknesses. It's really outclassed in many regards. Carbink sounds like it'd be fantastic in little cup though with a Hippopotas. *shrugs* I say if you aren't using something with Sand Stream don't even bother with Carbink.
Now that you mention it, Registeel puts Carbink to shame, having the same defenses as Carbink, a higher HP, and a superior typing for the most part. The only things Carbink has over Registeel are screens and trick room.

Carbink @ Smooth Rock
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Power Gem
- Moonblast
- Sandstorm

Carbink could set up Sandstorm and lay down Stealth Rock, Sandstorm would boost Carbink's SDef a smidge which could make it all around more beefy. And you can run Power Gem and Moonblast or toss in Toxic if you prefer.

I've tried this Carbink set. It's been a bit underwhelming so far.

Carbink @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Bold Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Toxic

The main problem I've noticed is that it's a good lead and little else. It can set up SR and dual screens, but after that, it becomes dead weight. With no recovery whatsoever and low HP, it can easily be taken out after a few turns. A double Steel weakness isn't helping, either, especially not with threats like Aegislash and Mega Scizor. After those first three turns are over, Carbink becomes more of a burden to one's team, using up a slot that could probably have been used more wisely. There are few opportunities to switch in to set up the screens again once they wear off. Overall, you're better off with a Pokemon like Clefable that can actually be of use later in the game.

Carbink is a very good counter for Volcarona/Talonflame/CharY. With sp. atk investment and a life orb you can ohko-2hko all of them with power gem and take relatively little damage back (unless CharY has solarbeam)
Offensive calcs:
252+ SpA Life Orb Carbink Power Gem vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 374-442 (125.9 - 148.8%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Carbink Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 395-473 (105.6 - 126.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Life Orb Carbink Power Gem vs. +2 252 HP / 0 SpD Volcarona: 203-239 (54.2 - 63.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Life Orb Carbink Power Gem vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Talonflame: 567-671 (157.5 - 186.3%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Defensive Calcs:
252+ Atk Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Carbink: 55-66 (18 - 21.7%) -- possible 5HKO
252+ SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 236-278 (77.6 - 91.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 72-84 (23.6 - 27.6%) -- 81.2% chance to 4HKO
+2 252+ SpA Volcarona Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Carbink: 142-168 (46.7 - 55.2%) -- 69.5% chance to 2HKO

Along the ability to lay stealth rocks/screens, Carbink possible has a nice little niche in OU. (Also, who expects this thing to go offensive)

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Now that you mention it, Registeel puts Carbink to shame, having the same defenses as Carbink, a higher HP, and a superior typing for the most part. The only things Carbink has over Registeel are screens and trick room.
I don't like this comparison as those two Pokemon are largely different. Yeah they are both bulky mixed walls that can set up SR and lack offensive presence but they cover different threats on a team. Carbink resists Fire and Dark and is neutral to Fighting, while Registeel resists Steel, Grass, Psychic, Fairy, is neutral to Water, and is immune to Poison. Being able to wall most Fire and Dark-types is something that Registeel can't do, not to mention that Carbink is able to 2HKO most Dragon-types that are expected to drop in UU with Moonblast, unlike Registeel, can't be trapped by Magneton, and can be used on a sand team for ridiculous special walling potential.

alphatron

Volt turn in every tier! I'm in despair!
That's quite a niche role carbink is playing there, ServerNotFound. Is there anything else a life orb carbink can do aside from counter those three? Especially since it's got base 50 offenses. Does it really need a life orb to counter talonflame, volcorona, etc?

Not to mention that, since Carbink can't heal itself in any way, most of those attacks and Life Orb's recoil will leave it crippled and, being slow, a sitting duck to any other foe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)