Pokémon Entei

Status
Not open for further replies.
#majesticfiredoge

Entei - #244 - The Volcano Pokemon

Base Stats: 115 / 115 / 85 / 90 / 75 / 100

Abilities: Pressure - When this Pokémon is hit by a move, the opponent’s PP lowers by 2 rather than 1.

Flash Fire (Currently Unreleased) - Activates when user is hit by a damaging Fire-type move (including Fire-type Hidden Power). Once activated, user’s Fire-type moves deal 1.5 times damage. While this ability is in effect, this Pokémon is immune to damage from Fire-type attacks and Fire-type Hidden Power (accuracy and effect from these moves are ignored). For Fire-type Pokémon with this ability, Will-O-Wisp activates this ability without having an effect. If a non-Fire-type Pokémon has this ability, Will-O-Wisp will activate the ability and will have an effect.

Introduction:

Looking at Entei's base stats, you might wonder why this thing was just RU last generation. The real problem with Entei is that it lacked a good Fire-type move until an event that granted it with a great STAB, Flare Blitz. However, its Stealth Rock weakness and not a very great ability held it back from showing its true potential. This generation, however, Arceus has been kind to this dog, granting it the supreme defensive move: Sacred Fire. Sacred Fire completely turned Entei into a phenomenal wall, with a move that no longer causes a hefty recoil. It has decent Defenses, but it can truly make them work. Its Speed stat is also very nice, outspeeding Lucario's the turn they evolve amongst other things! This thing might bump up a tier or two, with a great new move, great bulk, and really just one glaring weakness, it can finally have a chance to shine!

Notable Moves:
- SACRED FIRE
- Eruption
- Flare Blitz (Must be Shiny + Adamant)
- Fire Blast
- Solar Beam
- Extreme Speed (Must be Shiny + Adamant)
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
- Calm Mind
- Weathers (With the exception of Hail)

Potential Movesets:

Assault Vest:
Entei @ Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 124 SDef / 248 HP / 136 Def
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge
- Return

Sadly, this majestic beast has a very shallow movepool. The reason to not running Extreme Speed, is that you're forced to run an Adamant nature. That is fine and all, but then you give up your bulk. This set actually gets pretty great coverage, hitting the majority of the tier pretty hard! The EVs on this set are... odd to say the least, but here is the reason to run them:

252+ Atk Life Orb Talonflame Brave Bird vs. 248 HP / 136+ Def Entei: 183-216 (42.2 - 49.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

252 SpA Life Orb Greninja Hydro Pump vs. 248 HP / 32 SpD Assault Vest Entei: 322-382 (74.3 - 88.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

This allows it to take a Hydro Pump from Greninja, while turning it into a phenomenal counter to the king of OU: Talonflame. Its lack of reliable recovery hurt it severely, but it still works. This is a great mixed wall, that can work very well with proper team support.

Choice Band:
Entei @ Choice Band
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Flare Blitz
- Iron Head
- Stone Edge

Ahh yes, Entei's flagship set from last generation! Still as effective this generation, hitting like a truck and having the bulk to tank some hits in return! I honestly don't want to go into great detail here, as pretty much everybody knows about this set and how it works, the only thing different is Iron Head > Sleep Talk, as his biggest issue is lack of ways to hit Rock-types, it also hits Fairies pretty hard as well!

404 Subbed:
Entei @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 Def / 132 HP / 124 Atk
Impish Nature
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

This set is odd - yes, but it is the complete counter to pretty much all Physical attackers out there! It can create magical 101 Subs, allowing it to push past Pokemon who rely on Seismic Toss to do damage. SleepTalk returned to Gen 4 Mechanics, making it much more reliable this gen! It is Entei's only form of recovery so, you have to run both unfortunately. Sacred Fire is pretty much mandatory on all Defensive sets, so that goes without saying. This set lacks on the Special Side, so match it with a Special wall and you're golden!

Yeah, haven't done of these in forever so. Discuss this fire doge.

Last edited:
Is Sacred Fire confirmed? I'd heard it was a mere rumour.
Very disappoint if not real.
Much sad.
Such uncool.
Wow.

Just because the battle maison npc has one does not mean entei will actually get this move for real. Even if it did it could be from an event in the far future. I dont think theres any point in discussing something that is completely unavailable atm and we arent even sure when or if it will ever be available in first place.

Agonist

how can I feel existential dread, it's my fear
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
No ESpeed under notable moves? ಠ_ಠ

Also, Jolly + Flare Blitz/ExtremeSpeed isn't possible.

Meh, I still see it as good as before. I know Assault Vest and Sacred Fire are ineed very good toys, but let's remember that one of the things that kept Entei RU was his susceptibility to all kinds of entry hazards. Also, as we all can see, moveset is very sparse. Fire is a terrible defensive typing and without super-effective moves, pink blobs will wall you all day long (except for Choice Band variants, but they work better as late game cleaners). I can see him getting to UU.

And yeah, forgot that without a way to hit supper-effectively most types, Choice Band sucks. See Golurk. Arguably better typing and offenses and still stuck on NU because it had no way to hit Bug-types (and also it was slow as nuts).

Last edited:

Lee

@ Thick Club
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Shit just got very real; I would not be surprised to see Entei experiencing some niche OU usage solely on the back of Sacred Fire which is, quite possibly, the best offensive move in the game.

We're talking about a 100BP, 95% acc move with a 50% burn rate. That is incredibly difficult to deal with. Check it out.

Entei @ Choice Band / Leftovers
- Sacred Fire
- Stone Edge
- I don't give a fuck because I have Sacred Fire
- see above

So first off, Sacred Fire hits like a truck, never forget that. It's not just a 'hope for the secondary effect' move. Now, a lot of physical walls are physically orientated and the likes of Gliscor and Hippowdon will hate a burn (the former close to being 2HKO'd anyway and certainly loses after burn damage). So that's a risky switch-in and you'll find yourself losing that exchange more often than not. Now consider Fire resists; Rock, Dragon, Fire, Water. Every Rock-type that sees use in OU is immediately crippled by a burn (Tyranitar, Mega-Aerodactyl, Rhyperior etc) so would do well to stay away. Dragon types suffer a similar impediment; Dragonite and Salamence will not like taking a 50/50 chance of getting burnt, not to mention taking a hefty hit (Salamence loses about 50% to SF). Specially orientated Dragons like Latias and Goodra can be 2HKO'd. Fire types, generally speaking, take heavy damage from Stone Edge (sans Heatran but you can just 3HKO with Stone Edge while he does little in return). Water types do okay but Greninja can't stomach SF and nobody likes to take a hefty hit alongside a burn.

Defensively Entei has six resists, an immunity to burn and very respectable defenses (115/85/75 is nothing to scoff at) so has a handful of switch-in opportunities to wreak havoc.

In terms of brute power in tandem with disruptive potential, he makes DPP Machamp look like a pussy.

If this happens to be the case, Entei's starting to look quite interesting. I could see it easily making UU, and packing the potential to be fairly potent in OU, given the right team.

While Arcanine's movepool is tends to be better (aside from holyfucksacredfire), those extra stat points in speed could go a long way, and the impact of sacred fire itself is something not to be underestimated.

Although as Mettie said, I'm wondering if Raikou and Suicune got any new toys to help them out.

Fixed the Jolly thing. And Arcanine doesn't outclass it anyway, infact, Entei wins everywhere except SpA (5), and SpD (10)

Intimidate < Sacred Fire, as the foe can simply switch out.

Fixed the Jolly thing. And Arcanine doesn't outclass it anyway, infact, Entei wins everywhere except SpA (5), and SpD (10)

Intimidate < Sacred Fire, as the foe can simply switch out.
It outclasses entei because of things like espeed on any nature, better abilities in intimidate and a released flash fire. It also has wild charge, close combat, morning sun, will o wisp, and regular attack being 5 points higher. Comparing these two is like comparing conkeldur and machamp. Both are really bulky and really slow, both can run bulk up sets with success, but machamp being able to abuse dynamic punch and stone miss don't make it better than conkeldurr who has drain punch, Mach punch, and an ability to further boost punching moves that make it better than machamp in almost every way. Machamp is still viable because of its ridiculously annoying dynamic punches, but that one niche doesn't make it any less outclassed by conkeldurr at what they are known for.

I have to agree with Chesnaught, I don't think Entei is as outclassed by Arcanine as everyone seems to think. Entei has 25 more base hp, with five less in special defense and five more in defense so the bulk is comparable arcanine without intimidate. Considering that both pokemon are winning a lot of their switch ins on wow, whose users are rarely physically inclined, this shouldn't matter too much. Also in terms of bulk, sacred fire is a scarier stab that doesn't cause you to take recoil and compromise your bulk.

Losing close combat hurts, especially against T-Tar, but no T-Tar wants to switch in on Sacred Fire. Heatran is another problem but I run bulldoze for the 2hko. The one cool thing about not killing heatran immediately is starting the head games of switches and getting more opportunities to hurt things with sacred fire. Not that outright killing it wouldn't be better, but few heatran are going to go head to head with arcanine anyways. This actually makes Entei a pretty good Heatran lure.

I'm really liking this set right now.

Entei@Leftovers
Pressure (Does anyone know when flashfire is released?!That would be so good)
EVs: 160 Hp / 252 Att / 96 Spe Adamant
-Sacred Fire
-Extreme Speed
-Bulldoze
-Stone Edge

I don't like choiced mons in general unless they hit stupid hard like cb crawdaunt or are amazing revengers like CS Terrakion. I don't think Entei is either, but sits somewhere in the middle, being able to threaten with sacred fire early and a strong stone edge early and finish weakened things with e speed later. Being able to switch moves has proven invaluable in the bulkier meta.

The ev's are to outspeed adamant mamoswine, with everything else to maximize overall bulk and hitting power. If anyone knows of another benchmark that is more important but doesn't compromise much more bulk that would be nice to know. It's impossible to ev it to outspeed jolly excadrill having to be Adamant.

Something that can switch in on Greninja is a good partner as Entei can't do more than 75% to greninja with e speed.

Meh, I still see it as good as before. I know Assault Vest and Sacred Fire are ineed very good toys, but let's remember that one of the things that kept Entei RU was his susceptibility to all kinds of entry hazards. Also, as we all can see, moveset is very sparse. Fire is a terrible defensive typing and without super-effective moves, pink blobs will wall you all day long (except for Choice Band variants, but they work better as late game cleaners). I can see him getting to UU.

And yeah, forgot that without a way to hit supper-effectively most types, Choice Band sucks. See Golurk. Arguably better typing and offenses and still stuck on NU because it had no way to hit Bug-types (and also it was slow as nuts).
You're still thinking like its DPP or BW. entry hazards aren't what they used to be no matter what people say. And since when are the pink blobs physical walls?? If Sacred Fire is confirmed I can definitely see this thing being used in OU. Sacred Fire is that good of a move.

Sacred Fire is that good of a move.
100 BP, 95 Accuracy, a 50% BURN CHANCE (guys, that is big. Even if Entei hits something for little damage, it might get burned)...the only downside is the low PP. Thing is...it'll be possible that our Enteis won't get Sacred Fire...same might be said for Tornadus and Aeroblast. I played Battle Subway with my brother and we came across a Klinklang with FOCUS BLAST! AI in the Battle Frontier/Subway/Maison is cheap and a bunch of cheaters, so...it's possible that it might not get it.

IF Entei does get Sacred Fire, we're talking about a new kind of threat on our hands. I honestly do see the Fire Member of the Legendary Beast Trio rising if this is true, but...I just think we need to wait until Pokebank when we can actually KNOW Entei gets this move. This is borderline theorymoning, isn't it?

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
With new toys to play Entei can be a huge hole puncher for offensive teams. Sticky Web support and this thing will cripple half of the opposing team.
It has respectable bulk that kind of makes up for the Stealth Rock Weakness so i can definitely see a Choice Band Sacred Fire set becoming its new flagship set. With Sticky Web up it has the potential to sweep, otherwise it will just open holes in the opposing teams and spread status without any downside. I wouldn't call Entei a wall though, like the OP does. Lack of reliable recovery, hazard weakness and a really shacky defensive typing keep this thing from really walling anything.

I don't mind playing the "what if" game until it's confirmed or not. The thread will get some attention for a day or two and then fade into obscurity until it gets confirmed or not. *shrugs*

That said I already looked into Entei a few months back and thought how it looked like a decent hard hitter with the right stats and Fire having very niche defensive typing. But holy crap Sacred Fire? That's a whole new ball game!

Entei@Assault Vest
Pressure
Adamant 84 HP / 252 At / 172 Spd
~ Sacred Fire
~ Flame Charge
~ ExtreemeSpeed
~ Stone Edge

Because of the threat of Sacred Fire and Entei's shallow movepool (hopefully some new toys when he gets released) means he can abuse Flame Charge if he prompts a switch, giving him a very useable speed. 172 Spd after Flame Charge lets him outspeed Greninja and below. A second one puts you above anything with a scarf below that as well. Afterwards you'll have tons of opportunity to throw around Sacred Fires and use ExtremeSpeed on any would be priority user. Only scarfed ESpeed Genesect would be able to outspeed you at +1, and what Genesect wants to face an Entei anyway? Assault Vest means a free big buff to your SpD and still allowing you to affect stats on you and the enemy with the appropriate moves. If it got Flash Fire it could even nab a free attack boost on top, which would be the perfect way to start your rampage.

EDIT: Likewise people should really consider this with Sunny Day support and a Balloon. The two conditions together means Entei would only have a Rock weakness upfront, putting your opponent in a real bind, especially if you get behind a Substitute and get to start Sacred Fire spamming.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
Before making potential sets it would be interesting to know if Sacred Fire is compatible with the event moves like Extremespeed.

Before making potential sets it would be interesting to know if Sacred Fire is compatible with the event moves like Extremespeed.
If Entei doesn't learn it by level up or reminder, it won't most likely.

That IF it learns it.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
We still don't know if Sacred Fire will be obtainable on Entei 100% (there is precedent for unobtainable moves on NPCs) and if it will be a lvl up move or an event move (in the case of the latter, it means no Sacred Fire + Extremespeed), so i am locking this thread until we have some actual confirmation.

Am I the only person who thinks the power of Sacred Fire is being understated here? It has a 50% chance (two 50% chances if you outspeed) to cripple any physical counters/checks to Entei. There aren't that many fire types in OU to switch in and dodge the burn, with Talonflame running from the Stone Edge or Extremespeed and Arcanine unable to fight back before eating a few Stone Edges.

Dragons, which are a common switch in to fire attacks, are afraid of the burn. Azumarill is afraid of the burn. Rotom and other bulky special attacking waters are decent, even though they doesn't like the residual damage. Lati@s can work.

Basically, countering this Pokemon is a niche affair, reliant on typing and which side of the physical/special split the ostensible counter/check attacks on and defends on. The general, solid physical wall is not enough. It's my opinion that Entei's pressure on the metagame will be immense.

Bedschibaer

NAME = FUCK
Well, the low pp does stop it from crippling absolutely everything on your team, and with the increased accuracy of Will o Wisp and the nerf of Surf making Scald the superior Water move in almost every aspect you shouldn't be running around without a burn absorber anyways.

Sacred Fire is the best Christmas present for Entei this gen for something with the same color scheme as Santa. Sacred Fire is among the most punishing attacks to switch into (another one this gen is Knock Off, which too bad Entei didn't get). Thanks to that awfully good burn rate coupled with Entei's good Att stat, the only TRUE switch in to Entei is basically just Heatran. I can see Entei being viable in OU especially after its Flash Fire gets released, especially since hazards are much easier to remove.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)