I'm kind of new at this. Criticism appreciated.

Hello everyone!

First of all allow me to introduce myself. My nickname is Lo7us, I used to play competitive pokemon waaaaaaaay back on the era of Pokemon NetBattle. Now with this new X/Y version I couldn't resist and started playing again, so I'm new to the current metagame and have lots of things to get used to. Any constructive criticism about this team will be greatly appreciated. :)

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Naughty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

This is my special tank and also my check to pokemon like Talonflame and Gengar which are hell of a lot popular lately. I sometimes use it as my lead. It carries Fireblast to deal with Ferrothorn (2HKO uninvested) and Scizor (1HKO) and Ice Beam to deal with Gliscor and Garchomp. These moves are not common but serve as a great surprise against those pokemon, as I usually catch them off guard. I sacrificed Stealth Rock to Ice Beam because when I use Defog, I end up countering my own entry-hazards. Assault Vest to get extra tankiness from special attacks; this combined with the sandstorm he provides makes tyranitar so tanky even super effective special water attacks don't leave a scratch. Max HP and SDef for tankiness.

Lucario @ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Close Combat
- Crunch
- Swords Dance

Mega-Lucario is so OP I couldn't leave it out of my team. Its purpose is to be a late game carry and sometimes a revenge killer. This thing has so much power that its nearly unstopabble after swords dance boost. Using the rest of my team to support and open up sweep possibilities is my main goal when using Lucario. Max atk and spd for obvious reasons, jolly so I can outspeed other lucarios, garchomps and other common sweepers without a speed boost. Bullet punch because its wonderful with Adaptability and to kill other priority users, crunch for coverage.

Rotom-Wash @ Chesto Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP / 56 SAtk / 220 Spd
Modest Nature
- Rest
- Will-O-Wisp
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump

Rotom is my bulky water choice as its a good answer to Gliscor as well as strong physical attackers as I can burn them and make them useless. He makes a good mini-volt/turn duo with Scizor. I might replace him with Trevenant though, still have to think better about this. This is definitely a pokemon that I'm unsure about. I has worked great for me so far, but maybe I could find something else with greater synergy with my team. I'm open for suggestions.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- U-turn
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Brick Break

This man is my revenge killer and check to the common ghost/psychic types. He should help clear the way of pesky alakazams and gengars so that Lucario can sweep later on. Like I said before, has great synergy with Rotom-W, but, If I replace him I'll probably replace Scizor too. Depending on what I'm up against, he can also be used as late game sweeper. His bullet punch is also amazing against the new fairy types, which have an almost obligatory role on every team now. Max HP and ATK for more bulkyness as he's kind of slow anyways. 0 EVs on Speed is also good as he can be used as a pivot with U-turn on pokemon he resists, sometimes even helping to setup Lucario safely.

Mandibuzz (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Roost
- Taunt
- Foul Play
- Defog

This man is my physical tank and check to the common annoying Aegislash, it also does great against other common Pokemons as Excadrill. It also serves as a Defogger and as a counter-lead to Spore Smeargle (because of Taunt/Overcoat/Defog). Not much else to say here. Max HP and Def for max tankyness since he doesn't need to invest in anything to do damage. I tried running Toxic instead of Defog, but then if the enemy really stacks up some entry hazards I'm screwed, so the safe choice is to go for Defog there.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SDef
Calm Nature
- Air Slash
- Thunder Wave
- Roost
- Dazzling Gleam

Togekiss is my Dragon-Slayer/Annoyer. I usually switch him in on Fighting or dragon moves, use Thunder Wave and proceed to paraflinch my way to victory. He is also a great check to Spiritomb and Sableye, as he has the only type that they now are weak against. Because of Thunder Wave I don't run any Speed EV's. Roost gives awesome survivability. He maybe could be replaced with another fairy, but I'd be weak against fighting types as my whole team except for Togekiss (and maybe Rotom) sucks against them.

So any flaws I didn't see? Any suboptimal builds? This team has a good win rate on Smogon, not that that means anything. I'd like to be criticised before I breed this team on the actual game, so you can be hard about it. :)

Thanks for the help in advance.

EDIT: added pictures :)
EDIT2: I just got wrecked by a batom-chain team. What could I change to prevent this? Also, other Lucarios usually give me hard trouble.

Last edited:
Hey I should be studying right now but I am just going to give you my review at a quick glance...

I think scizor plays the same role as lucario except scizor is slower...lucario has a very strong bullet punch and if you only have scizor for ghost types then I think you should switch out scizor(even though I love him). I was thinking instead you could go with a specs Jolteon with tbolt shadow ball and hp ice, this gives great coverage and outspeeds a lot. His only weakness is ground and rotom w has that immunity so there is still good synergy between the two.

Thats my suggestion it isnt that necessary but I just feel scizor is redundant. So try it out and let me know how it goes

cheers.

Wow I completely agree with you. I can see you love Scizor... :P

Having 2 pokemon filling up the same roles is not good at all, I'll try it out with Jolteon, since he can also learn Volt-Switch and pair up with Rotom-W. Thanks!

superpower>brick break on scizor cause brick break is garbage
someone on ur team shud have rocks because even tho u will cancel ur own rocks they r stil nice to have trust me(take off ice beam on t tar mayb)
Scizor isnt relly the one tht needs to go in ur lucario vs scizor trial i think u shud use special lucario to catch physical walls off guard.
Id do somtin about tht elctric weakness however because rotom w fks ur team over mayb u cud use jolteon but then agen jolteon is barely ou and might not give u happy results
lucario set
nasty plot
aura sphere
flash cannon
dark pulse
252 spA spe timid

To combat the Scizor-MegaLuc redundancy, you could easily run a Nasty Plot MegaLuc, and keep Scizor relatively similar. This gives you a Special Sweeper in Lucario, and a Pivot with Scizor. Also, if you are able to get Superpower, run it on Scizor, as it is much better than Brick Break, especially if you are banding it.

I can't use Superpower until poketransfer comes. I like the nasty plot mecaluc sugestion, I'll try it out as well. I'm having good results with Jolteon on my team so far!

Hi, very good team, I would just like to point out a few things:

1.A very common mistake; you are going to want to give Rotom-W Defense, not special defense. This will work much better as it will help you counter both Mega Khangaskhan and Talonflame. I would also use a leftovers and substitute which works better on a defensive set because it allows you to set up whenever a switch-out is evident.

2.I would use Ice punch and Extremespeed on lucario, this has an insanely larger amount of coverage as you will find. Trust me on this one, you will be up against a Dragointe and thank me for this moment. Tyranitar already has you covered when it comes to crunch. I also personally like to use drain punch instead of close combat as means of recovering, but that's just me...

3. Give Scizor life orb, if you are using him as a revenge killer than using choice band will just guarantee a switch-out which will only hurt you in the end because it allows your opponent to set up and then, boom, you went from killing one sweeper to facing another.

4. Use Donphan instead or mandibuzz. Considering Mandi's stealth rock weakness and that fact you are using him in sand means you'll be sending him in already at low health so chances are you won't even get a chance to use defog before a stone edge or volt switch is sending mandi to his grave. You also need a bulky defensive mon. So here is the set I would use:

Donphan @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 184 Atk / 252 HP / 72 Def
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off

Overall: great team, just a few tweaks and you'll be soaring up the ladder in no time. Remember never to stop improving and have fun. :D

AfroThunderRule
Thanks for telling me, that's there by accident.

Basileus
Thank you for your feedback, I agree with you on all of those points. I'll test out what you said and come back with more input. Just one thing though, I also use mandibuzz because he is a great counter to aegislash. How will I deal with Aegislash without Mandi?

Dolphan handles Aegislash very well, you would be surprised. Remember, Dolph has a lot of bulk and I mean A LOT plus earthquake is super effective against slash and it won't be effected by king's shields secondary effect. In addition, a defensive Rotom-W will hit with neutral damage and usually isn't more than 3HKOed by slash

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)