Ubers Gear Rising: Revengeance

REVENGE WITH A VENGEANCE!

This is a Gen VI variation on a team I played late in Gen V to moderate success. The Gen V team was Dialga/Giratina-O/Kyogre/Ho-Oh/Kabutops/Arceus and if you look at the sets below or know anything at all about those pokemon in Gen V Ubers, you can probably guess what they were running. It was a good team but I never did well enough with it to really warrant talking about it (that and the fact that there were some real-life obligations that kept me from laddering over the course of the past 4 months). I only started playing Gen VI at around 5 pm last night with a team that I had haphazardly threw together that was a combination of what I knew worked well with the team and what I knew about Gen VI changes, namely the weather ability nerf, the Fairy type, and the Defog buff. After about 6 hours, 50 battles, and my computer crashing, I ended up going 37-13 with an ACRE of 2012 under the alt "Mr. Lightning Bolt", and one of those losses was because of the aforementioned computer crash. Not bad for someone whose never played this gen before. But nobody reads this stuff anyway, so let's get to the damn team already!

Blade Wolf (Dialga) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SAtk / 200 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock
"I possess an intellect far beyond human reckoning."
"You don't say. Okay then: What's the meaning of life? Why are we here?"
"I am here to kill you."

Good old Bulky Dialga. It was a great lead in Gen IV, a great lead in Gen V, and a great lead now. One of the consequences of Fairy typing is that it means that dragons aren't that good anymore, but when you're a steel dragon you don't have to worry about it. The EVs allow him to tank Kyogre's attacks without sweating it and in turn he's fairly good at taking other special attacks too. In addition to being effective against fairies, Flash Cannon is also very effective against Arceus-Rock, which would otherwise pose a large problem for the team due to few rock resistances and weakness to status moves. Fire Blast is for Aegislash, Genesect, Ferrothorn, Forretress, and other steel types who would switch in on him or be used as leads. Draco Meteor is a generally hard-hitting move, there's not a whole lot that can just shrug it off. And do I need to talk about how great Stealth Rock is? It helps me win the Ho-Oh battle and helps to defend against Yveltal, who as I'll discuss later is a big problem for the team.

Some potential changes I have been considering for this set are using Dragon Pulse over Draco Meteor, Aura Sphere over Fire Blast, adding a status move, and retooling the EV spread. Dragon Pulse would be better than Draco Meteor for times when I want to leave Dialga in, but I can't think of many cases when I would want to do that and it would make me miss out on a lot of important KOs. Aura Sphere is more accurate and in a lot of ways just plain better than Fire Blast (especially after the Fire Blast nerf), but if I drop it then I sacrifice my ability to OHKO Ferrothorn and make Dialga defenseless against Aegislash. Adding a status move would be great, but cutting an attack would leave him open to many different things depending on what you cut. As far as the EVs go, I know these are outdated but I have no idea how to update them, so any suggestions are welcome.

Mistral (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 Atk / 248 HP / 24 Spd / 24 SDef / 100 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp
"Ideals, Jack. What are yours?"
"I...protect the weak."
"Hahahaha. Still so naive."

I finally found what I was looking for. A spinblocker who phases without remorse. And it has Defog so that it can win the hazard war. Giratina-O has been an extremely good, extremely versatile pokemon since it first came to us in Platinum and it continues to be one to this day. Giratina-O makes a great pseudo- spinner (pspinner?) with Defog since it can float above Spikes, T. Spikes, Sticky Web, and any other crap that's on the ground. Will-O-Wisp and Dragon Tail further help it as a support pokemon, allowing it to weaken threatening physical attackers and phaze things, respectively. Shadow Sneak with its relatively high attack make it an excellent revenge killer against the strong psychic-type attackers in the format now, namely Mega Mewtwo Y.

The only disclaimer I have on this set is that I did not create it. This is a carbon copy of a set created by Hack He Must that was posted in the G-O thread about a month ago. I didn't want to mislead any of you to thinking that I have ever had an original thought in my life.

Monsoon (Kyogre) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 232 HP / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave
"MEMES, JACK!"

I said earlier that Dialga was my main lead, but the truth is that it's about 50/50 between Dialga and Kyogre. Modest T.Wave Ogre is still a fantastic lead and it is extremely effective at weakening opponents' teams. I've lost track of how many Palkias have switched in thinking they're going to tank a Water Spout and retaliate with Thunder only to get paralyzed. Paralysis is extremely important for this team seeing as how the main attackers aren't the fastest pokemon by any means. The attacks are all standard fare - Ice Beam is for dragons, Thunder is for fliers and other Kyogres, and Surf is STAB. I decided to speed creep here because I don't lose too much bulk by doing so while being able to outspeed unboosted 0 investment base 90s. I've never missed the extra HP and it's unlikely that I will.

The only change I have considered on this set is using Scald over Surf. I have ultimately decided against it because I have enough burn support already between Giratina-O and Ho-Oh and the extra power for Surf does come in handy at times.

Sundowner (Ho-Oh) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 HP / 48 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute
"Like I said, kids are cruel, Jack. And I'm very in touch with my inner child."

Speed creeping standard SubRoost Ho-Oh. I'm not running any more bulk because it's bulky enough as is and I'm not running a different item because the goal of the set is to tank special attacks with SubRoost and Brave Bird everything else. Sacred Fire is a solid go-to move for anything that might be a physical attacker and obviously is a huge help against steel types. I decided to speed creep here to beat out other common base 90s that will inevitably switch in on Ho-Oh. Groudon's not that good of a solution when he's burnt and if Kyogre switches in on him when he has a sub up it'll get 2HKO'd.

You're probably wondering how Ho-Oh works with Kyogre. You're probably thinking that there's not a lot of synergy. But you're actually wrong. The two of them work just fine together since Ho-Oh benefits from Kyogre spreading paralysis and relies on Brave Bird more than Sacred Fire as an attacking move. If it weren't for the 50% burn rate, Aegislash, Mega Scizor, Ferrothorn, and Forretress, I'd probably cut Sacred Fire for a better coverage move, but all of those things are very real concerns for this team and they need to be dealt with.

Jetstream Sam (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak
"You deny your weapon its purpose! It yearns to bathe in the blood of your enemies... but you hold it back!"
"My sword is a tool of justice."
"Well here's what happens when you bring a tool to a swordfight!"

Replacing Kabutops is everyone's favorite new ghost type. This is what is rapidly becoming the standard Aegislash build for Ubers. Gyro Ball is obviously an amazing attack since everything in the format is several speed tiers above it. It's great for attacking Xerneas post-Geomancy. Shadow Sneak works well for revenge killing when Aegislash switches to sword form, and since I have no real revenge killer on this team it is extremely useful for me to have priority moves on as many pokemon as possible. Sacred Sword is pure coverage and hits normal and steel types about as well as you'd expect. King's Shield makes Aegislash a formidable challenge for many physical attackers, it's just too bad that Earthquake and Sacred Fire don't make contact. Aegislash's multitude of resistances are also welcome on the team and his ground weakness is mitigated by the fliers.

As with most of the pokemon I have discussed on this team, I am unsure that this EV spread is optimal. The main thing I am wondering about currently is the defense EVs and if they are relevant at all. One thing I have noticed about Aegislash is that at times he seems rather weak. Maybe it's just me expecting unreasonable things due to my inexperience with Gen VI, but it seems like Aegislash would benefit from additional attack EVs or perhaps a different nature.

Senator Armstrong (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
"How the hell did you get elected?"
"Well, I don't write my own speeches."

ExtremeKiller Arceus. If you have played Ubers at all in the past 3 years, you know what this is and you know what it does. I don't thing I need to into too much detail on the moveset, but in case you're a beltway pansy who didn't play college ball at the University of Texas, let me educate you. Senator Arceus wants to use his amazing powers and resources to create a format that's completely chaotic. He accomplishes this by using Swords Dance nanomachines to boost his attack to unreasonable levels. After that, anything he can't kill outright with Extremespeed gets Earthquaked or Shadow Clawed to cyborg hell. After he 6-0s your team he goes to steal brains of orphans to use them for cyborg bodies. DON'T F*** WITH THIS SENATOR!

In all seriousness, I should explain the item choice and EV spread of this guy. Max attack adamant is obvious for a physical priority sweeper, but in this case I wanted to make sure it had a good amount of bulk, which is why I run so much HP and comparatively little speed. Silk Scarf ties in with the bulk aspect - Life Orb would make Arceus too frail for comfort and wouldn't add enough damage to be worth the loss. Leftovers is the opposite - it sacrifices damage for bulk and makes Arceus unable to be used as a priority revenge killer, which it often is on this team. Maybe a different set would be best, but I'm content with this for right now. Feel free to suggest other Arceus types though.

I am of the opinion that there are two fundamental types of RMTs: The type of RMT where you show off your prestigious ladder ranking and the type of RMT where you genuinely need help. This is the latter. Overall I think the team is pretty good, but it could be a lot better. Typical things this team has trouble with include dark types and specs special attackers. There's nothing on the team that can a SpecsYveltal Dark Pulse more than once and there also isn't anything to take the sleep from Darkrai (although killing it afterwards isn't usually a problem). I only had a few hours with the team and I was mostly just laddering aimlessly, so if you think of something that I have neglected to consider please let me know. Comments and criticism are always appreciated.

CUT WHAT YOU WILL!

Blade Wolf (Dialga) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 56 SAtk / 200 SDef
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Stealth Rock

Mistral (Giratina-Origin) @ Griseous Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 112 Atk / 248 HP / 24 Spd / 24 SDef / 100 Def
Adamant Nature
- Defog
- Dragon Tail
- Shadow Sneak
- Will-O-Wisp

Monsoon (Kyogre) @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 SAtk / 232 HP / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Surf
- Thunder
- Thunder Wave

Sundowner (Ho-Oh) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 Atk / 208 HP / 48 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Brave Bird
- Roost
- Sacred Fire
- Substitute

Jetstream Sam (Aegislash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Stance Change
EVs: 240 HP / 16 Def / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Gyro Ball
- King's Shield
- Sacred Sword
- Shadow Sneak

Senator Armstrong (Arceus) @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 252 Atk / 200 HP / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Last edited:
first and foremost, use iron head. it works just as well, and does more to non scarf t-tar as well as many other threats. Armstrong seems to work excellent. Dialga should replace draco meteor with dragon pulse, as its attacks are all special making a special attack drop BAD. Regular Giratina is better as it has higher defenses, but keep the same set use lefties. Monsoon should have Hydro Pump because I love Hydro Pump :). Ho-oh should not be spamming brave birds like crazy cause I hate recoil, but use it if you want. other than that, great job. Once again, great job!

(hide)(/hide)
(hide=x)(/hide)
Switch out () for []

Aside from that.. It's a tiny change that I personally prefer to do, and that's Toxic over Sacred Sword on Aegislash. His utility will increase quite a lot from this tiny change, and he isn't as much a sitting duck against non-Xerneas teams (of course he takes hits from more things, but it rarely matters when he doesn't hit them back for much).

On Aegislash, I'd actually drop Gyro Bal and Sacred Sword for Iron Head and Toxic respectively. I'd also try out Shadow Ball over Shadow Sneak, but priority is always nice. I actually like using Ho-Oh with Kyogre, honestly. Seeing how Sacred Fire is hardly ever used for damage output, than it is just for burning switch-ins that can threaten it. I am a little curious about the EVs used on ExtremeKiller, though.

As you said, you are quite weak to dark types. Additionally, you are rather weak to max speed Specs Kyogre, which will 2HKO your whole team with Water Spout and you have nothing faster than it. Band Ho-Oh is in the same boat if it predicts correctly. Also Blaziken clean sweeps you when it sets up on Aegislash, OHKOing everything with the standard Knock Off/Low Kick/Blaze Kick set.
Unfortunately, it is difficult to see how to fix this without adding more weaknesses to the team. Adding some SpDef EVs to Ho-Oh would help, defensive Ho-Oh is fine running 52 attack with Adamant in my opinion since you are never going to break your counters without LO anyway. Gives you a better answer to Yveltal and Darkrai, as well as Arceus-Ghost. You could alternatively add some SpDef EVs to Kyogre.
On Aegislash, I recommend a set of Toxic/Shadow Sneak/Iron Head/Head Smash. King's Shield in my experience has limited utility. Head Smash gives you a strong attack to OHKO both Blaziken attempting to set up and Ho-Oh switch-ins. Toxic is very useful in the XY metagame, hitting a variety of threats. Iron Head is better than Gyro Ball due to the higher PP and more reliable base power. Gyro Ball's main attraction is OHKOing Xerneas and that is unnecessary since you run Shadow Sneak anyway.
Good luck with the team.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)