Other 6th Gen Pokemon UU Candidate Speculation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think Heracronite will stay alongside Heracross in UU or do you think it will be banned to OU or higher?

Also, I have a feeling Heracross by itself will stay in UU. The advent of Fairies in the metagame severely hurts Heracross' ability to sweep. Granbull, who may find a new home in UU, also becomes a hard counter to Heracross and can 2HKO the beetle with STAB Play Rough.

Do you guys think Heracronite will stay alongside Heracross in UU or do you think it will be banned to OU or higher?

Also, I have a feeling Heracross by itself will stay in UU. The advent of Fairies in the metagame severely hurts Heracross' ability to sweep. Granbull, who may find a new home in UU, also becomes a hard counter to Heracross and can 2HKO the beetle with STAB Play Rough.
there's a 0% chance of it getting banned from OU. I also highly doubt he'll get any more OU usage than last gen. His UU usage will probably drop a little as well, but not enough for him to drop to RU. UU is his home

Moxie Choice Scarf Heracross should be as popular as ever, out speeding most of the unboosted tier with insane attack that gets better and better. But yeah Granbull looke like an interesting contender and a new Heracross check, though the same cant be said of Gardevoir or her Mega.

Dragonite being UU? Haha, that made my day.

Anyway, I haven't posted in this thread yet because we still don't know for sure who's gonna be OU yet, but now I'm just going to list the 6th gen pokes that I've seen get used, but probably aren't going to be OU.

Diggersby
Florges
Delphox
Furfrou
Doublade
Malamar
Barbaracle
Clawitzer
Heliolisk
Tyrantrum
Avalugg
Noivern
Gourgeist (don't know which sizes)

Quite a list when you consider how few new pokemon there are. For that reason I think a lot of them will start of in RU and rise to UU or vise versa.

And here's a list of OU threats from last gen that might drop

Breloom (spore nerf, fighting nerf)
Ninetails (weather nerf)
Politoed (spec sets still popular so idk)
Starmie (weather nerf, defog, Excadrill)
Tentacruel (weather nerf, defog, excadrill)
Toxicroak (weather nerf, fighting nerf)

Just my 2 cents. UU prediction still seems like pretty heavy speculation, so I'm sure people will disagree with me. I guess we'll just wait and see
Well, I'm no expert but UU is my most played tier and some of those mons won't survive in UU imo. I'll start with the UU pokemon you think will drop. Politoed and Ninetails will be very interesting. On one hand, both are outclassed in stats and moves by the plethora of fire and water types in UU (chandelure, darmanitan, suicune, slowbro), but if weather teams continue to see play they could become very powerful and even possibly go to BL (remember vulpix lol). Toxicroak is in a similar boat, UU is FULL of fighting types (heracross, mienshao), but if weather becomes big he could become a huge threat. Tentacruel will almost certainly drop imo. Starmie would be a fearful sight in UU, I'm not sure it will get there but if it does I would hope for a suspect and BL ban very quickly. Breloom I agree with, but people are still using it, so it will stay OU for a while. In edition, I'd like to propose hydreigon as a new UU threat. Fairies make it's life hell, and it's been UU before (though holy shit is was scary there).

The new pokemon that I can see being a threat in UU for a while are malamar, diggersby, florges, sylveon, tyrantrum, noivern, heliolisk and gourgeist. It is likely that a couple of them will drop down to RU later. Imo noivern and sylveon will both really excel in UU and will be the biggest new threats, but who knows what will happen.

Furfrou, Delephox, Clawtizer, Avalugg and Barbaracle will all probably drop to RU or even NU. There is no way those things will stay UU imo. Doublade is overhyped also, it's special defence is pityful, it has a useless ability for its moveset and just fails to stand out imo. Maybe as a physical wall it will find a niche, but not enough to stay UU.

I'd say, Hydreigon has a better chance of not dropping down right now. Dark-type is really good in OU, and even things like Bisharp are being used more.

Jolteon and probably Vaporeon might also drop down. Jolteon's analysis was rejected, which is never a good sign for OU-viability.

Jolteon is amazing sweeper though. With Specs + Volt switch, IMO he was the best Volt Switcher of any flying type U-Turn, as he absorbs Electric moves. And. Is. Very. Fast.
A perfect counter for Talonflame has Talonflame has to rely on BB to outspeed Jolteon, and BB would never kill Jolteon.
All Jolteon has to do is run 56 Def EVs so it can survive Mawile's Sucker Punch and:

252+ SpA Choice Specs Jolteon Thunder vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Mega Mawile: 273-322 (89.8 - 105.9%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Jolteon will be really fun in UU, great attack and speed, but I don't think he'll be banned, as he's walled by Porygon2, Snorlax, Umbreon and to an extent, any ground type that resists his (nerfed) Hidden Power.

Vaporeon will be another great addition to the tier. Even without permanent rain (possibly), he can wall anything not named Zapdos or Roserade for days, and it always has the ability to boost its defense with Acid Armor. Better yet, it's a wish passer, the only one in the tier besides Umbreon and Togekiss, but with the added bonus of being a bulky water.

Last edited:
I can't see Gourgeist dropping to UU. It has much higher Defense than Trevenant (Super Size), and variants (Small) have the niche of being fast SubSeeders, as well as a fast Will-O-Wisp. Just my two cents.

I can't see Gourgeist dropping to UU. It has much higher Defense than Trevenant (Super Size), and variants (Small) have the niche of being fast SubSeeders, as well as a fast Will-O-Wisp. Just my two cents.
Gourgeist-A and Gourgeist-L are completely outclassed by their other forms and thus will probably fall to some tier below OU, where a Grass/Ghost mon with a high Defense stat would be interesting. Although with the Dark, Ghost, and Fire-types running around in UU I'm not sure they can pull their weight there.

Basically those are lower-tier versions of S and H.

If we decide to tier its different sizes separately (I don't see why we wouldn't, they have different stats and roles), then its very likely that some of its forms will be UU or lower.

Well, I'm no expert but UU is my most played tier and some of those mons won't survive in UU imo. I'll start with the UU pokemon you think will drop. Politoed and Ninetails will be very interesting. On one hand, both are outclassed in stats and moves by the plethora of fire and water types in UU (chandelure, darmanitan, suicune, slowbro), but if weather teams continue to see play they could become very powerful and even possibly go to BL (remember vulpix lol). Toxicroak is in a similar boat, UU is FULL of fighting types (heracross, mienshao), but if weather becomes big he could become a huge threat. Tentacruel will almost certainly drop imo. Starmie would be a fearful sight in UU, I'm not sure it will get there but if it does I would hope for a suspect and BL ban very quickly. Breloom I agree with, but people are still using it, so it will stay OU for a while. In edition, I'd like to propose hydreigon as a new UU threat. Fairies make it's life hell, and it's been UU before (though holy shit is was scary there).

The new pokemon that I can see being a threat in UU for a while are malamar, diggersby, florges, sylveon, tyrantrum, noivern, heliolisk and gourgeist. It is likely that a couple of them will drop down to RU later. Imo noivern and sylveon will both really excel in UU and will be the biggest new threats, but who knows what will happen.

Furfrou, Delephox, Clawtizer, Avalugg and Barbaracle will all probably drop to RU or even NU. There is no way those things will stay UU imo. Doublade is overhyped also, it's special defence is pityful, it has a useless ability for its moveset and just fails to stand out imo. Maybe as a physical wall it will find a niche, but not enough to stay UU.
You are completely right, which is why I included this little piece:
a lot of them will start of in RU and rise to UU or vise versa.
I wasn't really trying to say who could end up in UU, I was saying who the candidates were, so that's my mistake. I think a lot of new pokemon will get UU usage just because they're new. After the hype has ended, I think the best bets for staying UU are Diggersby, Florges, Sylveon, and Noivern.

As for veterans, I think everyone on my list has a decent shot. Toxicroak has STAB SE moves against fairies, the weather setters make great wall breakers (Politoed is still fighting for its OU spot, while 9tails gets no usage mostly because of charizard), but I don't know about the water rapid spinners.

Gourgeist-A and Gourgeist-L are completely outclassed by their other forms and thus will probably fall to some tier below OU, where a Grass/Ghost mon with a high Defense stat would be interesting. Although with the Dark, Ghost, and Fire-types running around in UU I'm not sure they can pull their weight there.

Basically those are lower-tier versions of S and H.
Actually, I believe they might still have some use. I heard that Gourgeist-L is able to outspeed Scizor while still retaining a good portion of it's bulk. And also, I wouldn't account it's forms for being separately tiered, but rather Gourgeist as a whole.

I would love to see Furfrou in UU. It has the potential as a phazer, it is a physical sponge, has good coverage and can distribute poison/paralyze to the enemy team.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
Breloom and Hydreigon are only going to increase in usage, IMO.

Breloom seems more dangerous than ever, if that's possible. Its Mach Punch is so useful for so many fast Pokes, namely Lucario. Bullet Seed is just absurd; it absolutely destroys anything weak to it, and can even break through resists. IIRC I once 2HKOed a shield forme Aegislash with a lucky double five. You need a 4x resists to even think about switching into Bullet Seed safely, and most of these are weak to Rock Tomb. Breloom has no safe switchins, extremely good priority, and several good sets. Not going anywhere, IMO.

Hydreigon's Dark typing really shines this gen. Its Dark Pulse is extremely potent, and its Speed tier allows it to run Modest, which pumps up its power considerably. A Specs Draco Meteor is still one of the most devastating attacks in the tier, and Hydreigon has Flamethrower, Roost, U-turn, and almost everything it could want to back it up.

Its typing and defenses are also quite good, and give it a lot of switch-in opportunities.

Breloom seems more dangerous than ever, if that's possible. Its Mach Punch is so useful for so many fast Pokes, namely Lucario. Bullet Seed is just absurd; it absolutely destroys anything weak to it, and can even break through resists. IIRC I once 2HKOed a shield forme Aegislash with a lucky double five. You need a 4x resists to even think about switching into Bullet Seed safely, and most of these are weak to Rock Tomb. Breloom has no safe switchins, extremely good priority, and several good sets. Not going anywhere, IMO.
I would argue that Forretress is a decent switch in as it resists grass 4x, and takes only neutral to fighting and rock. It's got high enough physical bulk to handle that. With Overcoat it becomes immune to Spore. Rock Tomb strengthens its Gyro Ball, and Volt Switch lets it escape leech seed into a more offensive check. That's one option to consider. On my team specifically, I go into a scarfed infiltrator chandelure.

One Pokemon currently near UU range in terms of usage that hasn't been discussed much at all is Jellicent. Jellicent would be absolutely fantastic in UU, becoming the tier's best bulky water and spinblocker in one Pokemon. Its presence would make Suicune and Milotic not only outclassed, but also largely ineffective as neither of them can touch Jellicent outside of status. I highly doubt either of these Pokemon will be able to stay UU with the inclusion of Jellicent, Vaporeon, and possibly even Politoed in the tier.

Last edited:
One Pokemon currently in UU range in terms of usage that hasn't been discussed much at all is Jellicent. Jellicent would be absolutely fantastic in UU, becoming the tier's best bulky water and spinblocker in one Pokemon. Its presence would make Suicune and Milotic not only outclassed, but also largely ineffective as neither of them can touch Jellicent outside of status. I highly doubt either of these Pokemon will be able to stay UU with the inclusion of Jellicent, Vaporeon, and possibly even Politoed in the tier.
Jellicent is not in UU range.

| 49 | Jellicent | 3.60172% |

Jellicent is not in UU range.
I guess I was looking at the 1850 stats, since they're a much better reflection of the metagame, but it still has a fairly decent chance of dropping, and this is a speculation thread after all. What's currently in UU range isn't too relevant though. I highly doubt the likes of Kyurem-Black and Keldeo will be UU once things start to settle.

I have been using it a lot in OU today and it's had done work and made a few rage quit so I would like to see Masquerain be UU. It learns sticky web which will be helpful in UU slowing down some of the more annoying pokemon. I have ran it today as a special sweeper or suicide lead.

I run
- Sticky Web
- Bug buzz
- Hydropump
- Quiver dance

It is helpful for sticky web even though Joltik might be better I can see it going OU maybe if not then this is just another pokemon to do the same things. Bug buzz is great for hitting behind sub and the stab can take out some of the nastier Psychic and Dark threats. It usually gets at least one kill if not two for me and after you get up your web if the lead rocks then you can switch out and bring it in when it out speeds later on.
I have been loving it in OU and will use it in UU regardless for sure.

Trevenant could be nice in UU, if not ended up in OU, Harvest is really good. And Natural cure just absorbs status like crazy on this guy. He is also a very good curse-sweeper, I've tried it many times, Leech Seed + Sun Sitrus Berry Harvest + Curse + Substitute, the opponent goes CRAZY

I have been using it a lot in OU today and it's had done work and made a few rage quit so I would like to see Masquerain be UU. It learns sticky web which will be helpful in UU slowing down some of the more annoying pokemon. I have ran it today as a special sweeper or suicide lead.
I can really see Masquerain becoming UU's top sticky webber. Having fine 80 Special attack, with access to Hydro Pump, Scald, Stab Bug Buzz, Giga Drain, Air Slash, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam he has quite offensive variety. Quiver Dance and Agility can raise his pitiful 60 Speed or just help him Baton Pass them.

Magnemite said Jellicent was near UU range, which it is right now. After all the hype is done though, I think Jellicent will be safely OU, as it continues to wall the same threats it always has. Even if it did drop to UU, though, it definitely does not outclass Suicune, who has better mixed defenses and Calm Mind. Ninetales I can see dropping, especially because sun isn't permanent. If Ninetales is banned, though, I don't think Vulpix will be, because of the necessity of sun teams to then run a weak NFE for only 5-8 turns of sun. Politoed might drop, but 5-8 turns of rain along with stuff like Swift Swim Kingdra is pretty nice, even in OU.

The cutoff is anything below 50, right?
The cutoff range last gen was 3.4% of usage. From what i've heard this is subject to change however. For now I see Jellicent as less popular if not only due to rotom's popularity. Sure, these two have very different role, but people just want to use the water type that is currently the most solid. Once the meta settless I see Jelli getting some major use. Its still pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)