Lifestyle physical health/fitness thread

That's insane. I'm pretty strong for my size i guess but I'd be lucky to top 8-10 pull ups and 12-15 chin ups consecutively, youre a beast lol
Ha thanks man, I do a lot of negative repetition as well. Those neg reps will expand those large twitch muscle fibers to the max. I read a few research articles about how negative repetition is one of the best ways to get stronger. I don't do much negative bench though because I always go to the gym by myself and you need someone you can trust / that is strong that can spot a negative bench session lol.

Damn man, well now I have a good goal to work up to! How do you feel about hammer-grip pullups (palms facing each other)?
From what I've gathered: Want more Back work? use overhand grip. Want to add more bicep focus(and be able to do more reps if you can't do many overhand)? Use underhand. Want a balance? Use hammer grip. I would link to an study I read on the distribution of muscle group stimulation with different grips and grip widths but I can't find it.:p

From what I've gathered: Want more Back work? use overhand grip. Want to add more bicep focus(and be able to do more reps if you can't do many overhand)? Use underhand. Want a balance? Use hammer grip. I would link to an study I read on the distribution of muscle group stimulation with different grips and grip widths but I can't find it.:p
The same applies to grip width. Wide grip is more lats, close grip is more biceps. The two extremes are close grip underhand and wide grip overhand.
It also depends on what angle you come up with. You can pull your chest to the bar or pull you can pull you head/chin to it.

I've learned to like overhand grip since you can do muscle ups from it and those are fun

The same applies to grip width. Wide grip is more lats, close grip is more biceps. The two extremes are close grip underhand and wide grip overhand.
It also depends on what angle you come up with. You can pull your chest to the bar or pull you can pull you head/chin to it.

I've learned to like overhand grip since you can do muscle ups from it and those are fun
I never did muscle ups in the gym at the sake of looking like a huge douche lol... a strong douche.

Ah i have been working out almost 2 years with little progress. T_T what i found out was i was eating too little protein. Plus i think my genetic crap, but still going at the gym 4 days a week.
Height 5.7ft, weight 14 stones
Bench press 80KG, don't do squatting as my back is funky so i do other back stuff, shoulder press with free weights 27KG & biceps curls with terrible form 20KG LOL

With this you can probably see im not great, but I'm getting better.

If you guys do take pre workout stuff i can only suggest citrulline. You will be
amazed how pump you get when you take a bit & it also good for your heart and blood vessels.

srs I could understand someone running 500 mg/wk test e coupled with some dbol, but creatine and all the preworkouts in the world are just a waste of money, to gain like 1% more muscle which you won't even notice if you are natural..

thought yeah someone even believes eating carbs after 5 pm will make you a fat ass.

No I'm serious citrulline is amazing. Its supposed to good for the heart and blood vessels as it relaxes them. I don't take it for gaining muscles I take it just for the health benefit and the side effect pump/strength.
I Just take 1 small tea spoon a week.

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
srs I could understand someone running 500 mg/wk test e coupled with some dbol, but creatine and all the preworkouts in the world are just a waste of money, to gain like 1% more muscle which you won't even notice if you are natural..

thought yeah someone even believes eating carbs after 5 pm will make you a fat ass.
Idk I've noticed quite a difference with bcaas intra workout

After doing my first rehab mile at 6:37 a little over 2 months ago I just did 5:37, I never thought I'd be able to train hard enough to get real progress again but it may have just been a matter of working out my hamstrings. I would never ever make it much farther than a mile without pain for so long and couldn't seem to do anything about it at all until people @ therapy told me to start hitting them up.

I actually still haven't gone more than 20 miles in any week so far and haven't been even mixing in much sprint stuff yet, I will definitely be adding more things to try to get in the 5 minute club but for now lesson is just make sure everything is conditioned and not overused and results come!

Speaking of running, I think I'm also improving at a steady rate as well. Also, nice work yee. Keep working!
On average, how good is 16:01 for 3.8km(3800m)? I mean, before I ran the same distance last week @ 17:47, so it's probably something!

Stallion

Tree Young
is a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
Speaking of running, I think I'm also improving at a steady rate as well. Also, nice work yee. Keep working!
On average, how good is 16:01 for 3.8km(3800m)? I mean, before I ran the same distance last week @ 17:47, so it's probably something!
From memory, running sub 4Min per mile is elite runner territory. When I was younger, running 1k every four mins was considered pretty damn good..so I'd say you're on a good path. Keep it up!!

Alright, there's a 4.5km run tomorrow for my gym class, it's basically our class exam, and I think anything under 22:00 will net me an A-.

Considering my times for the three 3.8km runs we did(16:01, 16:49 and 17:47), think I can clock it in under 20 minutes?

Stallion

Tree Young
Alright, there's a 4.5km run tomorrow for my gym class, it's basically our class exam, and I think anything under 22:00 will net me an A-.

Considering my times for the three 3.8km runs we did(16:01, 16:49 and 17:47), think I can clock it in under 20 minutes?
Even with your worst pace, I'd be super surprised if you couldn't run an extra 700m in sub 4 mins. You should be a lock for sub 22 and should probably aim even higher!

HBK

Subtlety is my middle name
Is it true that constantly changing your workout routine will help you burn more calories ?

In one of the few moments of life where your body starts to act like a literal lady of gaga, I went from overheated fellow with few moments for eating last monday to a barely alive man with a few moments of steady thought and apetitite before/passing out/ falling asleep for a couple of hours kind if guy. Even though im trying to stabilize myself and put more food into my body in order to complete a normal working day, I find myself grateful of knowing what can be and what cant be lost due to deiting to be relieving. As such my hearing is a bit high pitched and my eyes blurry but after a week of this crap and prolly saying this at the wrong thread im really grateful to be alive again.

Apparently I went through a weird sickness phase last week where it involved losing 5KGs from not eating anything and overheating too much. The day I woke up from all of this apparently involved a few very excited words about me getting better and not doing anything else other than sleeping (that happens when you don't eat anything).

Last edited:
Well, I did the 4.5km run today! Out of 130+ people, I got around 20th-25th place. My time was 19:23. This is in -4°C weather. Due to a dare made by the teacher, I had to wear a t-shirt, shorts, gloves, shoes, and a Batman cape, with the cowl on the entire run. No sweater, no jogging pants! If I can get a picture, I'll post it!

I'm proud of how well I did, especially considering I had done the same run all the way back in June and got a sluggish 26:02!

Sorry for the double post, but I finally got the pictures, if anyone wants to see them, I can put them here.

However, to make this post not pointless, I guess I'll post my "stats".

16/145lbs(63.5kg)/6'0. I've upped quite a bit in most aspects of the weight room in 2 months. Some examples are from 100 max bench to 135, leg curl from 9-14, Dumbbell Bench Press from 24(2 12's) to 70(2 35's) and Squat from just the bar to 30 pounds each. May not be the most impressive, but still, pretty happy right now!

Still fucked for chin-ups and pull ups though, but I've got extremely long arms for a guy my height(6'5 wingspan and about a 8'1.5 standing reach), so it's not unexpected.

Oh nice a Fitness topic...i didn't notice that!
BTW, i'm a Personal Trainer and Body Builder, happy to share my passion with you ^^

I need help. The past few weeks my performance has seemingly randomly tanked out of nowhere. On Thanksgiving I did a 10k a little over 3 minutes above last year's time, even though I felt like I had been in better or at least comparable shape to the last one I did. It seems like it was the start of a heavy decline because I had been doing fairly quick (prolly 7 min mile average) 5 mile runs and after that 10k I couldn't do more than 2 miles without running out of breath even though I had taken a couple of rest days after it. It might have been finals stress taxing me and my average runs have been at least slowly creeping up closer to normal but I'm kind of worried that I still haven't recovered from that drop off. Do endurance slumps and hot streaks just come and go? Should I just wait this out and expect it to go away eventually?

I need help. The past few weeks my performance has seemingly randomly tanked out of nowhere. On Thanksgiving I did a 10k a little over 3 minutes above last year's time, even though I felt like I had been in better or at least comparable shape to the last one I did. It seems like it was the start of a heavy decline because I had been doing fairly quick (prolly 7 min mile average) 5 mile runs and after that 10k I couldn't do more than 2 miles without running out of breath even though I had taken a couple of rest days after it. It might have been finals stress taxing me and my average runs have been at least slowly creeping up closer to normal but I'm kind of worried that I still haven't recovered from that drop off. Do endurance slumps and hot streaks just come and go? Should I just wait this out and expect it to go away eventually?
Performance in any physical activity is greatly affected by how relaxed you are. But I'd say it is even moreso for endurance running. Steps and breathing should be reflexive/automatic and you should avoid tensing up. The more you think about it and the more you worry, the harder it will be.
I give this suggestion because you mentioned finals stress and worrying about slowing down. You have to relax or you are fighting yourself

Well for me usually if I take several rest days it takes me a while to get back where I was earlier because of the fact that I broke whatever training regime I had before I did a big race. More importantly though, yes, stress has a huge effect on how you are running, whether it be stressing out about the run itself or something else. Under these situations you tend to psyche yourself out and not be able to focus as much, which usually causes you to run out of breath a lot faster. When you run, are you thinking a lot about trying to get back to where you are as quickly as possible? That may be causing you to have a few extra miscellaneous problems when you run.

As an example about a month ago at the XC state meet I went to, since it was my first one, I was nervous for around the first 400 meters about a lot of things, some being the race and some being other things. This made me have a more inconsistent run than usual, and even though my time was OK (17:53) it was worse than I could have done if I had remained calm (got a 17:35 in the previous week at the same course with even splits)

I wouldn't get too distressed about it, you'll get back up there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)