Applying to college

The Ivy League is based off a sports conference, not location or school intelligence/prestige. While it is true that conferences themselves are based off location, this means that not every elite school in the east is an Ivy. I don't know all the Ivys by memory but from what I can recall:

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Brown
Dartmouth
Cornell (?)
UPenn

And probably some others I forgot.

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
PttP got em all except for Columbia. Just those 8 schools.

There are lots of great schools that are not a part of the Ivy League spread around the country, such as Stanford (West), MIT (Northeast), UChciago (Midwest), or Duke (Southeast). However, there is a much higher concentration of universities in the northeast, and therefore a higher concentration of prestigious universities too.

Deferred from Chicago as well. I wrote their two supplements in the half hour before the application was due, I'm probably lucky to even get deferred.

Nothing but deferrals so far. Maybe the thug life chose me after all.

Last edited:

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Deferred, but apparently the accepted deferral rate is 10%, which is a lot higher than I thought it was.

Results of the early action decisions:

Deferred MIT, Georgetown
Accepted: South Carolina, Indiana University, UChicago

I don't really know where I'll go at this point, but the only real competitor I haven't applied to yet is American University in DC. I might also fill out one for New College in Florida, but I'm pretty much done at this point. Money is fairly important, so I'll probably end up going to USC or IU.

Results of the early action decisions:

Deferred MIT, Georgetown
Accepted: South Carolina, Indiana University, UChicago

I don't really know where I'll go at this point, but the only real competitor I haven't applied to yet is American University in DC. I might also fill out one for New College in Florida, but I'm pretty much done at this point. Money is fairly important, so I'll probably end up going to USC or IU.
I'm guessing if you got into UChicago you applied to the honors school at USC?

Accepted: UT Dallas, Colorado Mines, New Mexico Mines, Tulane, UArizona, Baylor University

Deferred: UChicago

Completely on topic: Those Chicago essays, man...

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
The Ivy League is based off a sports conference, not location or school intelligence/prestige. While it is true that conferences themselves are based off location, this means that not every elite school in the east is an Ivy. I don't know all the Ivys by memory but from what I can recall:

Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Brown
Dartmouth
Cornell (?)
UPenn

And probably some others I forgot.
No.
afaik (trivia mode on) the distinction is purely geographical. To be exact only the places where Ivy grows. Which is marked by tradition with all of these colleges having "Ivy Planting days". No joke. Over time it came to include everything in the general geographical region. Incidentally most of the colleges here are the oldest established in America, and over time grew to be elite by the virtue of heritage. Hence the tab of Ivy League.

Ofc being in the same region probably puts them in the same conference bracket (idk barely anything about american sports), but that's not the distinctive feature. It evolved later over time after the term was coined.

^Except that there are a TON of private universities in the same general geographic region as the Ivies that aren't actually part of the Ivy League. And Wikipedia backs up the assertion that they're named for the sports conference.

Wikipedia said:
The Ivy League is a collegiate athletic conference composed of sports teams from eight private institutions of higher education in the Northeastern United States. The conference name is also commonly used to refer to those eight schools as a group.[2] The eight institutions are Brown University, Columbia University, Cornell University, Dartmouth College, Harvard University, Princeton University, the University of Pennsylvania, andYale University. The term Ivy League also has connotations of academic excellence, selectivity in admissions, and social elitism.

The term became official after the formation of the NCAA Division I athletic conference in 1954.[3] The use of the phrase is no longer limited to athletics, and now represents an educational philosophy inherent to the nation's oldest schools.[4] Seven of the eight schools were founded during the United States colonial period; the exception is Cornell, which was founded in 1865. Ivy League institutions, therefore, account for seven of the nine Colonial Colleges chartered before the American Revolution.
--
Back on topic: college acceptances are a crapshoot. One of the smartest people I've ever met was my friend in high school who applied to all the Ivy League colleges plus a few others of similar prestige, plus a few safety schools. Of everywhere she applied, she was "only" accepted into Harvard and MIT. She was rejected by the likes of Cornell, Columbia, Brown, Dartmouth, Yale, Princeton, etc., and yet the two most prestigious schools accepted her. She has since graduated from Harvard and is doing very well for herself. So even if you're rejected from some less prestigious institutions, that doesn't mean that you don't have a chance at your dream school! Best of luck, everyone!~

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^Except that there are a TON of private universities in the same general geographic region as the Ivies that aren't actually part of the Ivy League. And Wikipedia backs up the assertion that they're named .....
Did you entirely miss the part where I stressed heritage playing a huge role? Go read that same Wikipedia a bit carefully before jumping the gun. The conference is way later (after a college sports commentator saw the playoffs list and remarked that "all of them were ivy leaguers"). Of course setting up a shitty new college in the middle of Pennsylvania wouldn't make it ivy league. Thanks for being pedantic.

Woodchuck

actual cannibal
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
"Though the Ivy League has become synonymous with academics, prestige, and of course, old New England buildings, the history of the term is rooted in the eight member schools’ athletic past. No one is exactly sure where the name Ivy League originated.
According to Jelen, the term was coined by Caswell Adams, a sportswriter in the 1930s for the New York Herald-Tribune. Legend has it that Adams, a proud Fordham graduate, was assigned to cover Columbia University playing the University of Pennsylvania in football instead of covering his alma matter, which at the time was a powerhouse in college football.

In 1937, Adams is rumored to have complained to his boss about having to write about those old “Ivy-covered” universities and in his article about the Columbia/Penn game coined the term “Ivy League.”
After pressure from the smaller colleges to move onto a league more appropriate to its size, Dartmouth began to look into joining the already established Big Three Agreement of 1916 between Harvard, Princeton and Yale.

Under the stewardship of College President James Dickey and the president of Harvard, a formal proposal for the Ivy League was drafted in 1945. The only schools to have expressed serious interest in joining the league are the ones that are still the current eight members of the league.
Though the agreement existed in 1945, many consider 1954 to be the true birthday of the Ivy League."

Spradling, Jessica. "Origins of the term 'Ivy League' remain mysterious." The Badger Herald. UW-Madison, 3 Mar. 2003. Web. 22 Dec. 2013. <http://badgerherald.com/news/2003/03/03/origins-of-the-term/>.

The term was coined as a reference to the ivy that grew on the walls of those universities, and then became the name of the football conference which those eight universities agreed to form, although no one knows for certain if that's exactly how the term came to be. It was not strictly geography, but merely the universities that were large enough and were interested in playing with the others. Try not to get so worked up about something this trivial in the future, Soul Fly. This isn't a suspect testing thread...

Yo, UK students: i'm filling out my UCAS application and I'm done with everything except for the reference letter actually being completed(I sent out the request). Does the referee need to complete the letter, just accept the task etc. before I can pay for/submit the application?

I thought it was just the first 8 universities in the United States, in addition to Rutgers, which HAS been offered Ivy Status but declined due to financial reasons.

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just posting to reiterate for people that I was until recently working in College Admissions, so if you need advice about that process or financial aid I'd be happy to help out. Just send me a message.

Also, to the concern raised that "it doesn't matter where you go for undergrad", that is true SOME of the time. It really depends on the industry and company you want to work for. Some places recruit heavily from certain schools and programs, so make sure you research that if you are one of the fortunate few to know where they want to work after college before they have even started it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)