Jester (Gourgeist-Super) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Phantom Force
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp

Goodness, this thing is amazing on semi-stall. SubSeed coupled with Lefties for passive recovery, WoW to make physical attackers whimper at your AMAZING defensive bulk even MORE, and Phantom Force to rack up the residual damage AND your recovery damage. Phantom Force with this set is absolutely golden.

Just checked Serebii and accidentally find disable, on a pokemon with only fire/ice/dark/ghost weakness, I don't see anyone bar some dark/fire dogs running sets that covers more than one of them.

Now I am sure it can wall every single physical pokemon not having a taunt.

Just checked Serebii and accidentally find disable, on a pokemon with only fire/ice/dark/ghost weakness, I don't see anyone bar some dark/fire dogs running sets that covers more than one of them.

Now I am sure it can wall every single physical pokemon not having a taunt.
Weavile, Chandelure, Froslass, and Hydreigon as well. But yeah, none of those are terribly common in combination with each other.

EDIT: Gourgeist is also Flying weak, adding Talonflame and Charizard to that list

So I'm thinking of using this guy as a base for a stall team but I'm not sure which size I want. It seems small has better recovery while super has better bulk. Which one is the better option?

Weavile, Chandelure, Froslass, and Hydreigon as well. But yeah, none of those are terribly common in combination with each other.

EDIT: Gourgeist is also Flying weak, adding Talonflame and Charizard to that list
There's also TTar (Crunch/FireBlast(Punch)) Togekiss(Air slash/Flamethrower though it's uncommon) Genesect(Ice Beam/Flamethower) Tornadus-T(Hurricane/Overheat) Conkuldurr(Knock Off/Ice Punch)

That's all i can think of for OU but there's probably more lol.

So I'm thinking of using this guy as a base for a stall team but I'm not sure which size I want. It seems small has better recovery while super has better bulk. Which one is the better option?
unless you have specified targets to outspeed or vice versa, only huge and small would be your concern. Super is for raw tankiness, which I use, is the best in terms of defensive core. The small one however, can pack more utility, better subseeding for instance. It also runs the disable set the best among the four speed tiers. However, with drastically weaker defensive stats, it would be better for it to play support role.

If you want a spin-blocker however, gourgiest may not be the one you are looking for, trevant may do a better job with better offensive capacity and heals.

There's also TTar (Crunch/FireBlast(Punch)) Togekiss(Air slash/Flamethrower though it's uncommon) Genesect(Ice Beam/Flamethower) Tornadus-T(Hurricane/Overheat) Conkuldurr(Knock Off/Ice Punch)

That's all i can think of for OU but there's probably more lol.
Missing quite somethings sigh, so yeah the disable set is a lot weaker than I thought when I saw it.

Flame charge could be a good move for the small gourgeist perhaps, a fire move working off the physical attack and raising your speed aswell. It bypasses taunts because you are attacking and also you can turn that 99 speed into a lot more. It also provides good coverage. Can someone do some calls about how it does against Scarm and Ferro and stuff.

Gourgeist actually gets some pretty good coverage with rock slide, rock smash and thief so it would be worth trying them out on a set (maybe not rock smash)

Flame charge could be a good move for the small gourgeist perhaps, a fire move working off the physical attack and raising your speed aswell. It bypasses taunts because you are attacking and also you can turn that 99 speed into a lot more. It also provides good coverage. Can someone do some calls about how it does against Scarm and Ferro and stuff.

Gourgeist actually gets some pretty good coverage with rock slide, rock smash and thief so it would be worth trying them out on a set (maybe not rock smash)
252+ Atk Gourgeist-Small Flame Charge vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Ferrothorn: 120-144 (34 - 40.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Just a quick calc. Doesn't do enough, Skarmory will laugh at it

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Gourgeist-Super for sure. Gourgeist-Small's main advantages are being able to outspeed certain Pokemon and burn them before they can hit you, such as Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, Mamoswine, and Rotom-W (against which you can just set up a Sub to avoid the WoW). Those advantages are appreciated on offensive or bulky offense teams, not on stall teams, and your Pokemon need all the bulk they can get on a stall team. For example, Gourgeist-Small cannot counter Exacrill, Garchomp, Kabutops (important against rain teams), Terrakion, and Choice Band Azumarill, all of which are difficult Pokemon for stall teams to handle, and all of which Gourgeist-Super counters or checks really good.

Gourgeist-Super for sure. Gourgeist-Small's main advantages are being able to outspeed certain Pokemon and burn them before they can hit you, such as Adamant Mega Kangaskhan, Mamoswine, and Rotom-W (against which you can just set up a Sub to avoid the WoW). Those advantages are appreciated on offensive or bulky offense teams, not on stall teams, and your Pokemon need all the bulk they can get on a stall team. For example, Gourgeist-Small cannot counter Exacrill, Garchomp, Kabutops (important against rain teams), Terrakion, and Choice Band Azumarill, all of which are difficult Pokemon for stall teams to handle, and all of which Gourgeist-Super counters or checks really good.
That may be true, stall teams no longer have the luxury to fit in pokemon that can not provide defensive coverage. The rise of ghost and fly are absolutely doom.

Judging from what I am seeing here, I feel I need to share my own Gourgeist set.

Gourgeist-Super (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Frisk
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Careful Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Leech Seed
- Phantom Force
- Seed Bomb

This has been absolute gold, being able to crush the majority of Rapid Spinners I have faced (I have not yet faced Starmie, Forretress or Mega-Blastoise) in Pokebank OU, and it's also crippled most of my team's main counters before either being crippled itself or being taken down (it has only been OHKOed by a Mega-Charizard X). Phantom Force is wonderful for predicting switch-ins, and Seed Bomb does fairly decently at, at least, weakening Water-types. WoW and Leech Seed are a pain for anybody who cannot take it down, and it's also won several stall wars with flying colors. Opinions and statistical facts are always welcome to critique this guy.

I'm thinking of using this guy with MegaKang for the Battle Mansion. The main reason would be a Physical Wall that also counters Fighting moves. Which set would you recommend? I like
252 HP 252 DEF 4 ATK
-Leech Seed
-Destiny Bond/Explosion
-Phantom Force
-Will-o-wisp

But I feel like Explosion would be a good move to have since I good use it to guarantee a kill on some pokes that might be faster than kang. My 3rd poke is Assult Vest Goodra. Basically I am trying to have an answer for everything the BM can throw at me. I made it to 39 today and lost to a team of Sturdy Exploders -_- Technically this could possibly be a a good core for wifi battles too.

Last edited:
EW what is with all these stall-geist sets I see? you want stall Trevenant (unfortunately) does it better. You want a wall-pokemon however you use Gourgeist. Granted Seed/WoW are standard I run it too but PhantomForce and Sub??? Wrong Grass/Ghost people. Sure may be my opinion (and I hate Stall-Trev) but either of its ability make it better for Force/Sub/Seed than Gourgeist. Gourgeist is better to take hits, cripple foe, and kill if given the chance.

anyways I've been using this set on showdown which id say is standard for Super-sized
Frisk @ Leftovers
Careful 252hp 252spdef 4att
-Leech Seed
-SeedBomb
-Shadow Sneak
-Wilowisp

Q? Would switching out Seed Bomb for Rock Slide (obviously Talonflame switch-in hit) be a good idea or just keep the Grass stab? I see benefits on both accounts but just asking for general opinions

EW what is with all these stall-geist sets I see? you want stall Trevenant (unfortunately) does it better. You want a wall-pokemon however you use Gourgeist. Granted Seed/WoW are standard I run it too but PhantomForce and Sub??? Wrong Grass/Ghost people. Sure may be my opinion (and I hate Stall-Trev) but either of its ability make it better for Force/Sub/Seed than Gourgeist. Gourgeist is better to take hits, cripple foe, and kill if given the chance.

anyways I've been using this set on showdown which id say is standard for Super-sized
Frisk @ Leftovers
-Leech Seed
-SeedBomb
-Shadow Sneak
-Wilowisp

Q? Would switching out Seed Bomb for Rock Slide (obviously Talonflame switch-in hit) be a good idea or just keep the Grass stab? I see benefits on both accounts but just asking for general opinions
Small 'geist is used because it counters mega kang, and I think mega lucario.

Right. Outspeeds and burns while luc mega evolves. That's how it works.
thats still great though yeah Special ML and its over. though I was originally making a point of stall being better for trev ill admit a a speedy pumpkin with WoW helps a lot....which i guess with the lowered attack would make a stall set work

Frisk @ Leftovers
-Leech Seed
-SeedBomb
-Shadow Sneak
-Wilowisp

Meh, it's hard to justify that Trevenant is better than Gourgeist as a stalling Grass/Ghost. Yes, it has Rest + Natural Cure and Harvest + Lum/Sitrus/Chesto Berry, but Super Gourgeist is bulkier than Trevenant and Small Gourgeist is WAAAAYYYYY faster than Trevenant, making Small Gourgeist the better SubSeeder. Despite Trev's abilities, I find it to be far too slow. The special bulk it has over Gourgeist is only marginal since neither is safe from something like Life Orb Starmie (both are 2HKO'd by Ice Beam). I also don't think it's hard to find something that straight one-shots Trevenant, so all those healing shenanigans go out the window.

Also, with Harvest, you only get your berry back half the time people....not exactly "reliable" if you're running stall, especially given Sun's nerf this gen.

Gourgeist also learns Flamethrower/Fire Blast fwiw, so it can threaten common spikers along with spinners :). Oh, and Shadow Sneak.....and Trick.....and Explosion...

Meh, it's hard to justify that Trevenant is better than Gourgeist as a stalling Grass/Ghost. Yes, it has Rest + Natural Cure and Harvest + Lum/Sitrus/Chesto Berry, but Super Gourgeist is bulkier than Trevenant and Small Gourgeist is WAAAAYYYYY faster than Trevenant, making Small Gourgeist the better SubSeeder. Despite Trev's abilities, I find it to be far too slow. The special bulk it has over Gourgeist is only marginal since neither is safe from something like Life Orb Starmie (both are 2HKO'd by Ice Beam). I also don't think it's hard to find something that straight one-shots Trevenant, so all those healing shenanigans go out the window.

Also, with Harvest, you only get your berry back half the time people....not exactly "reliable" if you're running stall, especially given Sun's nerf this gen.

Gourgeist also learns Flamethrower/Fire Blast fwiw, so it can threaten common spikers along with spinners :). Oh, and Shadow Sneak.....and Trick.....and Explosion...
Hence I say Gourgeist is the wall, Trevenant is the stall. thats how I view it because it was versatility,instead one of generic defensive moveset that (letsfaceit) is a stall moveset

So what's more useful? Full defense investment with Impish, or full special defense investment with Careful?

Physical has it's merits but almost every set will carry will-o-wisp; that might make the Careful version better if the investment actually help it survive things without screwing up it's defense too much...

So what's more useful? Full defense investment with Impish, or full special defense investment with Careful?

Physical has it's merits but almost every set will carry will-o-wisp; that might make the Careful version better if the investment actually help it survive things without screwing up it's defense too much...
Careful do it...don't ask just do it!

lol okay fine we'll talk about it. Careful still takes physical hits like a champ thanks to its base 110def and decent HP (depending on the size you run). Wil-o-wisp helps support your defenses against hard hitting Dark and Flying types and Leech Seed can give you decent recovery with Lefties. Sure, things like T-tar, Mamoswine, Crawduant, Talonflame, MegaZard, etc can OKHO or 2HKO it but for a good number (overall) of offensive pokemon it can take a hit and cripple. In short, you can run a fully defensive set but any....any.....ANY decent hitting special attacker will laugh in your face. With Careful max HP and SPDEF you can take hit, cripple, etc etc etc and with the proper team use Gourgeist to wall and do work.

I was wondering if any sort of niches exist for Medium or Large size Gourgeist. I can understand Small and Supersize, but are there any situations where meeting somewhere in the middle could be beneficial or better?

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I was wondering if any sort of niches exist for Medium or Large size Gourgeist. I can understand Small and Supersize, but are there any situations where meeting somewhere in the middle could be beneficial or better?
Large Gourgeist can outspeed and WoW Scizor with no investment, but Super can't. The 10 HP difference probably makes a big difference in bulk, but the extra Speed probably comes in hand for certain Pokes.

... then again, you'd probably be better off running Speed EVs on Gourgeist Super for Scizor, rather than running Large. You could take the EVs from Defense, which would probably result in better bulk than Large has.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)