Move Power-Up Punch

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Breloom can viably run a set with Mach Punch *and* Power-Up Punch without wasting a move slot. Add in Rock Tomb to get back Low Sweep's coveted speed drop and either Bullet Seed or Seed Bomb (depending on your preference) for another STAB.

I only recently tried this, so I'm not sure how it'll work out, but I suspect it'll be just as good. It gets a smaller attack boost in Power-Up Punch, but it hits back, unlike Swords Dance. Rock Tomb also counts for good coverage with it's Technician boost and the aforementioned secondary effect. Mach Punch compensates for Breloom's mediocre speed. Add in the other grass STAB of your choice (I think both are pretty alright) and it still has a boosting move, two STABS, good offensive coverage and it still lowers speed. *And* has priority.

I think my biggest problem is that Power-Up Punch relies on actually hitting for you to get a boost. Even though it has great accuracy, for multiple reasons, it could be rendered useless. Whereas Swords Dance will work through pretty much anything; it's much harder to effectively stop.

I think Breloom can viably run a set with Mach Punch *and* Power-Up Punch without wasting a move slot. Add in Rock Tomb to get back Low Sweep's coveted speed drop and either Bullet Seed or Seed Bomb (depending on your preference) for another STAB.

I only recently tried this, so I'm not sure how it'll work out, but I suspect it'll be just as good. It gets a smaller attack boost in Power-Up Punch, but it hits back, unlike Swords Dance. Rock Tomb also counts for good coverage with it's Technician boost and the aforementioned secondary effect. Mach Punch compensates for Breloom's mediocre speed. Add in the other grass STAB of your choice (I think both are pretty alright) and it still has a boosting move, two STABS, good offensive coverage and it still lowers speed. *And* has priority.

I think my biggest problem is that Power-Up Punch relies on actually hitting for you to get a boost. Even though it has great accuracy, for multiple reasons, it could be rendered useless. Whereas Swords Dance will work through pretty much anything; it's much harder to effectively stop.
I... might just try this. Any recommended EVs you seeing working consistently?

All of which are fair points; SD is a lot more consistent but both have the weakness of being phazed out. PuP has one slight advantage in the regard that it doesn't make you total Taunt bait and you get to slam the Taunter in the face next turn while SD allows you to catch something on their way out and slam the next thing really hard but it's subject to Taunt. It's not ripping up the Meta by storm but it is something to consider I suppose.

I'm not sure if this question has been answered yet, but if you have a Pokemon with Sheer Force as an ability and you have Power-up Punch, is the attack stat-boost removed?

I really like PuP Azu, the power of CB with the ability to change moves and you don't leave yourself vulnerable like BD.

I tried out a Breloom set of Substitute/seed bomb/rock tomb/power-up punch on a toxic heal breloom. It definitely doesn't do all of the things that breloom used to but it does set up all over most gliscor/rotom/ferrothorn (without rocky helmet)/ and other bulky waters not carrying ice coverage. People will always be playing around spore too, so until you reveal you don't have it you can win a lot of free subs or attacks. A lot of things still get in the way of this set, so it needs a bunch of support, but it's the only use of power up punch I've seen outside of Kangaskhan that was actually threatening

Over in the assault vest thread I saw people talking about the use of power-up punch on an AV Metagross. anyone have any experience with that?

Yeah to my understanding sheer force only replaces abilities with a chance of happening, not something that is a constant secondary effect of the move. Stuff like Thunder's 30% chance to paralyze.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
It depends on how it's programmed. Darmanitan can't use Flame Charge because Sheer Force negates the Speed boosting chance, even though it's a 100% one. I believe Power-Up Punch does the same.

November Blue

A universe where hot chips don't exist :(
is a Contributor Alumnus
I tried out a Breloom set of Substitute/seed bomb/rock tomb/power-up punch on a toxic heal breloom.
Why on Earth would you run Poison Heal? You're using a 60 Base Power Rock-type move when you could be using a 90 Base Power one.

I'd suggest this:

Breloom @ Leftovers
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe

Power-Up Punch
Mach Punch / Substitute
Bullet Seed
Rock Tomb / Substitute

NEVER use Seed Bomb on a Technician set. It's 100% inferior to Bullet Seed. They're both 100% accurate, but with Technician, Bullet Seed has 75 Base Power in just two hits.

Leftovers pairs well with Substitute, and spamming Rock Tomb behind a Sub is a solid strat.

I'm not sold on the viability of this set. Breloom excels at switching in and threatening slower Pokemon, or forcing a switch and blasting the switchin with a powerful attack. Boosting isn't really all that good on it, IMO. It's frail and slow, but not lacking in power in the slightest.

Every Techniloom should have Mach Punch, Bullet Seed, and Rock Tomb, IMO. PuP could be a clutch move in some situations, but Breloom has better options.

I actually run this on Weavile rather effectively, turning him into a momentum sweeper.

Weavile @ Life Orb/Razor Claw
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Power-Up Punch
- Filler Protect/Swords Dance/ect

I actually run this on Weavile rather effectively, turning him into a momentum sweeper.

Weavile @ Life Orb/Razor Claw Assault Vest
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 HP / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature
- Ice Shard
- Night Slash
- Power-Up Punch
- Filler Protect/Swords Dance/ect
doesn't Weavile have a workable S.def stat? if you're going to use PuP on a glass cannon revenger why not round out your coverage and slap an AV on there, rather than the much more lackluster Claw.

I've been running Mewtwo with Recover/Amnesia/Psycho Cut/PuP. I almost never use Amnesia though, so I'm thinking about doing Recover/Psychic/Psycho Cut/PuP, that way I can momentum sweep with Psycho Cut/PuP, deal with physical walls using Psychic, and reliably heal with Recover. Btdubs, this is Mega Mewtwo X, with 252 Atk EV's, 252 Speed EV's, and 4 HP EV's.

Mewtwo gets bulk up you know. STAB PuP sounds great and all, but it's very, very weak, and really should be used as an attacking move as much as it is a set up move on anything aside from Mega Kangaskhan.

Mewtwo gets bulk up you know. STAB PuP sounds great and all, but it's very, very weak, and really should be used as an attacking move as much as it is a set up move on anything aside from Mega Kangaskhan.
Everyone tells me, "Mewtwo gets Bulk Up, you know that right?" Well, I don't really like Bulk Up over Barrier/Amnesia + PuP, even though it means I could use brick break or something. This way, I get the Atk boost just as fast, and do them damage at the same time, and make the defense/spdef optional, and it will STILL take just as many turns total as Bulk Up + Brick Break to do the same thing. Or, if I DON'T use Barrier/Amnesia, I get set up at the same speed as Bulk Up, but I also get to do damage at the same time. It's really a choice between more damage less quickly, or less damage sooner. Mine is better in a short, quick battle, and yours is better in a long, drawn out battle. I almost always prefer to kill them quickly and not let them set up, which is why I think PuP is great!

Isn't this the OU forum? Mewtwo should be discussed somewhere else shouldn't he?
it is actually a discussion about the move PuP, I just tend to get a little sidetracked. It's still on the subject though, sort of. It's about how PuP is the better choice for my Mewtwo, so it technically counts, right? :p

...Yes, yes this is.

Ahem, so, uh...are there any OU pokemon besides Technibroom that really appreciate this move? Nidoking, maybe? Or is that canceled by sheer force?
It's canceled by Sheer Force.

I've been using Power-Up Punch on my Mega Charizard X. It actually has served me quite well, being damn near unstoppable after a few boosts of that + Flame Charge. Even gets boosted by Tough Claws.

I've been using Power-Up Punch on Ambipom as an alternative to Low Kick.

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Power-Up Punch
Fake Out
Double Hit
Beat Up

It sacrifices some power in exchange for the Attack boost; situational, but useful. Many times, Fake Out will bring the opponent into the KO range of Power-Up Punch, so Ambipom essentially can take out an opponent and get a psuedo-Moxie boost as well. It also gets the Technician boost, so it has the same median power as Low Kick, with a possible attack boost as well.

Can I get an opinion on this set for a trick room team?

Throh w/ assault vest
relaxed max hp and def or maybe a bit skimmed off both and moved into attack
Guts

PUP
Facade (eh do i need this one?)
Rock slide / Earthquake
Fire/Ice/Thunder --- Punch (from bw tutors)

Last edited:
What I LOVE about power-up-punch is say that your opponent switches in a pokemon with 20% health left. With power up punch you can kill it and get an attack boost! I find this useful late game when you want to pull off a sweep on some maimed pokemon but can't take a turn to set up and not dish off damage.

I've been using Power-Up Punch on Ambipom as an alternative to Low Kick.

Ambipom @ Life Orb
Adamant
Technician
252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe

Power-Up Punch
Fake Out
Double Hit
Beat Up

It sacrifices some power in exchange for the Attack boost; situational, but useful. Many times, Fake Out will bring the opponent into the KO range of Power-Up Punch, so Ambipom essentially can take out an opponent and get a psuedo-Moxie boost as well. It also gets the Technician boost, so it has the same median power as Low Kick, with a possible attack boost as well.
Why adamant? Other big threats can outspeed and kill and if your getting attack boost's from P-up-Punch why not put the extra boost into speed?

Can I get an opinion on this set for a trick room team?

Throh w/ assault vest
relaxed max hp and def or maybe a bit skimmed off both and moved into attack
Guts

PUP
Facade (eh do i need this one?)
Rock slide / Earthquake
Fire/Ice/Thunder --- Punch (from bw tutors)
Here's my only question: Why the Rock Slide? When you have five turns to work with I imagine your first inclination is to annihilate your opponent's key players as soon as possible. Or does PuP bring Rock Slide up enough to be a viable replacement to Stone Edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)