Flower Power

Hi people. I'm Cherub Agent, some of you know me, some of you don't. It's been ages since I've done one of these, and I saw it fitting that this should be my last RMT of Gen 5, as it's for RU, by far my favourite tier. There's just something appealing about a tier that is pretty much completely balanced, but never ever stale. Due to the amount of viable strategies, from Stall to Trick Room, from Weather to Balanced, from DragMag to VoltTurn, you can never be sure what kind of team your opponent is going to bring, and this keeps you on your toes. Furthermore, new movesets and EVs are constantly being experimented with to beat the "standards", to mess around with the standard counters, or to lure them out so that another Pokemon can take advantage of them. You can expect the unexpected in RU.

Anyway, a bit on to my team. I've been using this team off and on for quite a while now, and always making little adjustments to it. I'm currently at #3 on the ladder, but Molk and august are so high up there I just can't be bothered to try and reach them. Laddering is fairly boring as well, so I'm never motivated enough to try and reach the top, dunno how you guys do it. From the title it should be fairly obvious that I first started this team off with Lilligant, as she's one of the most vicious setup sweepers the tier has to offer (together with Omastar, but Lilligant is easier to set up, while Omastar is far harder to counter after having set up). I have another #snail team with him in it, but I've been using this team longer and thus it seemed more right to showcase it. Oh enough babbling, I'll just get on with it.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Trait: Regenerator
EVs: 244 HP / 240 Def / 24 Spe
Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Wish
- Waterfall
- Protect

Pretty much the Pokemon that holds my team together. Everything on my team resists either Grass or Electric, and the three Pokemon on my offensive core resist both. This is especially true for Druddigon, as thanks to its bulk it can come in time and time again and launch off its powerful attacks, go back to Alomomola, and get healed up. Simply rinse and repeat for maximum fun. Apart from keeping pretty much my entire team healthy all on its lonesome, Alomomola herself is an absolute bitch to take down. RU has tons of physically based nasties running around, and fish here can pretty much Toxic stall them all one one one. It's highly effective against the middling players below 1800, and can often solo entire teams nearly by itself. I've been playing aroud with the 120 SDef spread, and a spread with some Attack investment, which see more merit in NU, but this EV spread helps more against the physical behemoths running around in RU, and the Speed EVs are used to crep out Bouffalant so I can toxic the thing before it sets up a sub.

Golurk @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 120 Spd / 244 Atk / 144 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Shadow Punch

Yeah Golurk is now really really good in RU. I use this as my lead most of the time, unless it's blindingly obvious that the opponent is gonna lead with something that counters it. It's pretty much the definition of Tank, able to take hits and dish out bigger ones. I was using Fire Punch until I saw col49 using Magic Coat, and man this move is seriously fun on Golurk. It's quite prediction based, but gives you pretty much a guaranted win against teams that lead off with Smeargle. It's also really fun against lead Crustle and Aerodactyl, as Golurk can just bounce back all its hazards while resisting STAB. Fire Punch isn't really missed, since I can just bounce back the Spikes that Ferroseed would set up for me, and since most people now expect Fire Punch, no one is gonna bring their Escavalier in on Golurk. I have Magneton to trap and kill those two anyway. The EVs are just to outspeed Lanturn plus loads of creep, as tons of Pokemon aim for that and I like being able to move before other Golurk. Pretty much every RU team needs a Ground-type to prevent the opponent from Volt Switching you all over, and Golurk also resists U-Turn, which is just a bonus.

Sigilyph @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 208 Spd / 84 SAtk / 216 HP
Timid Nature
IVs: null Atk
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Heat Wave
- Roost

Sigilyph is pretty much on this team because I must be the worst person in the world at handling Stall. Without this, or something like Scraggy, I just get crushed every single time. Anywho, unless the opponent is running some really weird set to cockblock this (like idk CM or TrickSpecs Slowking) Sigilyph can often be relied on to run through most Stall teams like a hot knife through butter. Spiritomb is still annoying, but Siggy avoids the 2HKO from Foul Play and can alternate between Roost and Calm Mind to set up. It's also pretty useful for firing off decently powered Psychics and Heat Waves midgame to soften stuff up for my other Pokemon. The EVs allow Sigilyph to outrun Rotom-N, and to OHKO Moltres after Stealth Rock, and Omastar after a Calm Mind, with the rest placed into HP. It is replaceable though, don't get me wrong, as I have a few threats that my team doesn't quite cover well enough for my liking.

Magneton @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]

OK, here we have the start of my offensive core. Molk has a pretty similar one in his RMT that consists of the same Pokemon, although our sets vary to suit our teams needs. Magneton is pretty much there to trap the Steel-types that are a nuisance for Druddigon and Lilligant, but as I lack a fast Pokemon, I decided to Scarf it instead of running with the standard Eviolite set. While this does now give me a way of outspeeding stuff like Swellow, Sceptile and Scarf Emboar, it comes at the rather depressing price of a massive decrease in bulk. Magneton has a really really hard time coming in on Choice Band Megahorn from Escavalier, as after some residual damage it damn near OHKOs. It's fine though as long as I manage to eliminate it (HP Fire is a OHKO after Stealth Rock). Flash Cannon 2HKOs the Ground-types that come in to try and absorb an Electric move. Thunderbolt is pretty neat when Magneton has the opportunity to lategame clean. Magneton may be frail, but those resistances man, 13!

Druddigon @ Choice Band
Trait: Rough Skin
EVs: 96 Spd / 252 Atk / 160 HP
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Sleep Talk
- Dragon Claw
- Fire Punch

I'm never ever going back to Stealth Rock Druddigon after having used this monster, especially paired with Alomomola. The synergy between them is just sick. Druddigon can just come in time and time again, creating massive holes with Dragon Claw early game (this is easily my most used move, as there is so much frail shit in RU that's just straight up KOd by it). When I need to kill bulky stuff, then I just click Outrage, and watch as things like Slowking and Amoonguss falls like leaves. These are really pretty much the only moves CB Druddigon needs, but I like Fire Punch as an emergency stop to Escavalier, and it insures that Druddigon always beats Amoonguss. Speaking of Sleep Talk, Druddigon is probably the best Sleep Talker in the tier together with Emboar, as neither gets screwed over by Lilligants most common Hidden Powers, but idk, mabye Druddigon has just proven better because unlike Emboar I can invest in its bulk. The EVs are mostly just for massive Speed creep, as the best way for me to deal with opposing Drudds is a faster Drudd of my own. Non Choice Band versions are crushed by Momo though, but the extra insurance is really nice, as all Druddigon counter the upcoming monster.

Lilligant (F) @ Grass Gem
Trait: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Timid Nature
- Petal Dance
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Hidden Power [Rock]

This ladies and gentlemen is what I started the team off with. For a more detailed explanation as to how this set works, read my post here.

If you want the shorter version, this Lilligant is supposed to just muscle past its checks and counters with sheer brute force. Specially bulky Pokemon such as Gallade, Clefable, Cryogonal don't stand a chance, and the cute part is that 2x resists don't either. Scarf Emboar and Rotom-C are guaranteed to be OHKOd after Stealth Rock, as is Klinklang, and have a good chance without it. Of course, there a multiple quadruple Grass resists in RU where a nuclear Petal Dance just doesn't cut it, but these can be divided into two groups. On the one hand we have the Steel-types in Escavalier and Ferroseed (hi Magneton :D) and on the other we have Moltres and Scyther, who are crushed by Hidden Power Rock. Countless times I've allowed my opponent to bring me down to Lilligant being my last Pokemon, and pretty much every time she's managed to sweep. She is probably THE most threatening setup sweeper that this tier has to offer, and with Magneton as her teammate, is pretty much uncounterable. Sleep Powder grants her numerous setup opportunities (and is also really cool if I decide to just lead with her), not to mention the numerous groovy resists that come to the table courtesy of being a Grass-type.

---

Thanks for taking the time to read my RMT. I thought about making it all flashy, but then realized that it's just a dumb waste of time to Bold and Italic stuff, when all you really want as a reader is to know how my team functions. I'm not showcasing this team off as a finished product, because I know that it's far from it. It has a good couple of weaknesses, particularly to Toxic Spikes and to Shell Smash Omastar. There are a couple of other Pokemon I've tried out to help me deal with these: both pretty much involve replacing Alomomola, which I'm loathe to do due to the support it gives my team. The first would be using Qwilfish over it, as I then gain Spikes or possibly Toxic Spikes of my own. The second would be replacing it with perhaps a Slowking, as that can generally handle most Omastar versions, but then I still don't have that wonderful WishPassing. Bouffalant is also a big pain as it walls Lilligant completely, and if it's SubSD then Alomomola is also in trouble. So, have at you dear raters, and please find a way to fix my problem :) Oh yeah and many thanks to darling Treecko for my banner, it rocks.

Last edited:
That's an awesome team! I really enjoy using Lilligant in RU since with that same set, you can absolutely decimate teams after you get a setup! Paired with Magneton you have in your hands potential comeback sweeps, which I have to say it's even done for me at times as well. Just a few minor suggestions I'd like to pitch;

I'd suggest Life Orb over Grass Gem on Lilligant, since the link wont open I can't read your explanation, but I'd like to hear it nonetheless since I would start employing Grass Gem into my gameplay to hahaha since it seems like it packs a strong surprise factor to double/quad resists as you mention.

Also the only Spiritomb set Sigilyph/Golurk need to fear is the Choice Band Spiritomb! I find it to be the strongest Pursuit trapper in the tier packing awesome bulk to survive, and proceed to play the dubious Sucker Punch/Pursuit game. Both of these OHKO Sigilyph, assuming you attack on Sucker Punch, and switch on Pursuit, which otherwise does around 60% I calculated. Sucker Punch/Pursuit also OHKO'd Golurk, assuming the same scenario. Not an entirely huge threat, but one that can cause just a few issues nonetheless. The only change I can suggest for Sigilyph is replacing it with Moltres for wall breaking capabilities, but with that change comes a super annoying Stealth Rock weakness, and the necessity of packing Rapid Spin, which can't be fit on the team, oh and not to mention you are always in on Golurk v an opponent Stealth Rocker (magic coats a cool idea btw).

Other than that sick team! I really like a lot of the sets used and ideas put into the team solid work :)

Thanks for the rate and nice words Grimsly :)

Yeah Life Orb is of course a pretty great option and all, but without Giga Drain and a way to remove Toxic Spikes I've found that keeping Lilligant alive long enough to get off a sweep (with opposing priority added into the mix) is a tad too difficult. Besides, (ugh no idea why my link isn't working, I'll try and fix that, thanks for bringing it to my attention) the point of Grass Gem is to simply muscle through resists and the most specially bulky Pokemon in the tier with one fell move. With Life Orb it just misses out on the KO on Pokemon like Emboar, Cryogonal, etc, and these guys can then obviously bring me down. Also, the first thing the opponent is going to do is bring out their Pokemon that takes Lilligant most comfortably, and it's against that singular mon that I need all the power I can get. The remaining ones are cheerfully swept away with only the boost from Quiver Dance.

Choice Band Spiritomb is a nigga, but if it locks itself into Sucker Punch I can simply PP stall it out with Sigilyph whilst setting up on it. I can't do that if it locks itself into Pursuit though, as that will unfortunately result in a dead birdie. What I will do if I'm facing a Spiritomb is double switch in and out until it's lost about 25% of its HP (as Choice Band can't recover it, so two Stealth Rock switchins) and Sigilyph obviously isnt worn down by double switching, and once it's at that level of health I'll set up a Calm Mind, then set up a second one on either the Pursuit or the Sucker Punch. +2 CM deals a minimum of 70% to Spiritomb, which can then KO it. But yeah, it's definetly irritating to play against, although I just couldn't use Moltres without a Spinner :(

Last edited:
This team is very solid in my opinion and changing it around will only make the team weaker to other things that are currently checked. I am a big fan of Alomomola and I have come up with a very good EV spread for it (it doesn't invest in SpD, but it has its perks over the set you have at the moment) EVs: 244 HP / 240 Def / 24 Spd lets Alomomola speed creep the standard sets for Bouffalant, Golurk, Lanturn, Aggron and Tangrowth, letting you get a Toxic off before they Sub up (Golurk or Bouffalant) or as a last resort move against Tangrowth and Lanturn (although this may use Heal Bell, but it's still a free turn you earn by forcing the opponent to Heal Bell) Toxic Spikes are an issue as you stated, but the most common user (Qwilfish) gets OHKOed / 2HKOed by everything except Alomomola, so a double switch will suffice. Good job on making the team :]

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Great team you got here Cherub. Grass Gem Lilligant is definitely a hidden gem (geddit?) that you exploit on this team, but there's one thing I would recommend changing, and that's on Druddigon.

As Druddigon is your primary answer to opposing sleep inducers, I would recommend the use of Fire Punch over Superpower. With Fire Punch, you're sure to pick a move out of Sleep Talk that will punish the opposing sleep inducer and it is able to catch Ferroseed, Escavalier, and Durant, thus lessening the pressure on Magneton to take them on (CB Escav can blast past Magneton with a bit of passive damage, but you've already mentioned this) While you lose coverage on Aggron, you do have Golurk to take it on and it's one of the few Steel-types Lilligant doesn't struggle with (though it does force the use of Grass Gem earlier than you might like at times) However, I think the ability to ensure you can definitively answer sleep inducers and catch Ferroseed and friends is really good for this team and it helps Lilligant even more and lessens the burden on Magneton to beat Steels. Of course, with Fire Punch, the door to using Sheer Force opens for the added damage output, but this is more of a personal preference decision as both Rough Skin and Sheer Force have uses with Fire Punch on the set. Great team!

Druddigon:

Fire Punch --> Superpower

ss234

bop.
k we talked on irc but rose > sigilyph sounds good imo. Hard counters special sceptile(focus blast can 2HKO drudd after sr), absorbs tspikes and also sets toxic spikes and spikes. The matchup against stall is harder, but it's still quite ez to beat since lilligant + cb drudd plus spikes generally does a very large number on common stall teams-golurk also blocks spin which is nice. Tspikes also help a lot against bouffolant.

Manly team, looks like hell to play against(fucking mola), liked :]

thanks guys :)

EonX, I'm currently testing Fire Punch on Druddigon (before your rate) and I'm loving it, so you're spot on. It insures that Amoonguss is always gonna be shat on by Druddigon, as it's really annoying when Sleep Talk selects Superpower against it. The pressure taken off of Magneton is also brilliant, so I'm probably gonna run with this. I'll playtest a bit more, and then update the OP.

Silver, yeah Rose does sound pretty good. Relying on Lilligant as my sole Ground resist kind of sucks, and leaves my entire team vulnerable to Spikes, but absorbing Toxic Spikes could definetly be worth it, and if I run a specially defensive spread I then have an answer to Shell Smash Omastar. As you said, Lilligant and Druddigon should be sufficient to break through most stall teams with Alomomola to heal them up, I'll definetly give it a go :)

Standard snide / presumptuous post claiming I "invented" Magic Coat Golurk and CB Drudd w/Sleep Talk.

But really tho, cool team bud, I actually really like it lol. I've always been a fan of using Gems to pick up the initial KO with a sweeper to push through checks more quickly, I've been loving Momo+CB Drudd for months now and it's truly excellent ("I was using it before it was cool" :] ), Bulky LO Sigi is a really nice little twist on the "standard set", and obviously Magic Coat Golurk is the revolution of the year (ok, seriously, I'm done now, people are seriously gonna start thinking I'm a huge douche lol). This team does well to showcase the Magneton+Lilli+Drudd offensive core, and while it has already "been done", I know better than to say you stole the concept, especially considering how much you've been hyping Lilli recently :p

Anywho, with that all said, I only have a couple minor things to comment on / suggest, most if not all of which I think I already covered on irc, but I don't trust myself enough to have covered everything I wanted to x_x One minor change, and something I personally have very much appreciated in my use of the 'mon, is the use of Rocky Helmet over Leftovers on Alomomola. On a more offensively inclined team such as this, where 'Momo is largely a defensive pivot whose Wish support gives you some extra longevity v.offense and allows you to keep your nukes healthy against stall / balance, the ability to rack up chip damage passively on the Pokemon Momo is meant to check is really nice, as it allows it to quickly and effectively whittle down annoying Pokemon like Entei, Bouffalant, and so forth. While the lack of Leftovers can occasionally become noticeable, a noteworthy example being that CB Druddigon can now 2HKO fairly comfortably as you can no longer pick up the extra 12.5% (coming in+Protect) to sit just within the realms of safety, the benefits very often outweigh the risks that come with it, and even then the risks come with underlying benefits in most cases (in this case the Drudd is taking 33%+hazards damage+the possible extra 10-15% from Momo's Waterfall, effectively weakening it to the point that a +1 Petal Dance from Lilli should easily dispatch it). Another change I'd look into, which again is rather small, opting for a spread of 216 HP / 84 SpA / 208 Spe. Semi-ironically enough, your lack of priority and moderately slow Scarf user makes your team notably weak to SS Omastar, as it can set up on HP Fire-locked Magneton, Momo (on the assumption of Lum Berry, it's most common and generally effective item imo), and Sigi to some extent, and proceed to at worst severely wear down multiple members of your team, if not 6-0 (which SS234 mentioned, I'm too slow on this stuff lol). While the cases of Momo and Magneton can avoided by just being aware of the issue (not locking into HP Fire under those conditions, throwing around Toxic's or just doubling out of Momo to pressure it), Sigi is something you can minimize just a little bit more with a small change like this. You lose a little bulk in the EV shift, but I really think that the slight boost in SpA is more significant overall. Maybe I'm calcing it wrong here, but unless I'm mistaken it's handling Foul Play fine even with this spread (0 Atk Spiritomb Foul Play vs. 216 HP / 0 Def Sigilyph: 114-134 (33.62 - 39.52%) -- guaranteed 3HKO), so maybe you just forgot to minimize Sigi's Attack IVs when you were calcing it lol. However, that's all for you to decide, yeah?

Anywho, do with that what you will, 'grats on the ladder peak and the sizable effort to keep up with ladder fanatics like Molk, cool team, liked, etc. etc. =)

Drain punch > Shadow punch on Golurk, the change of attack may seem kinda bad cos Drain punch isn't stab but its a decent way for golurk to recover he has natural bulk which means in the long haul it's a good choice given your in on something slowing than golurk and could use the HP, you do keep EQ which is the overall strongest STAB anyway. but idk its just a thought

ss234

bop.
Why would you run drain punch over shadow punch lol. Shadow Punch is necessary to hit uxie, sigilyph, slowking etc. while drain punch hits braviary and swellow and...nothing else not already hit by shadow punch or eq. Ye it recovers HP but it's not a reliable source of recovery. Wish passing from mola also covers this so y don't run drain punch over shadow punch.

Well nu is super offensive so i kinda like having the recovery, you could run shadow punch drain punch and eq, seeing as how you have decent checks to grass and steels but idk just a thought

i need siggy to throw psychics out here and there when i dont have calm minds up though, like against moltres, omastar and stuff like that. the set as it is already can breeze through stall, it doesn't relly need the power of stored power

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)