Magnezone (QC 0/3)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Overview
########

- Is still the best Steel trapper, but has a new niche as a momentum gaining Fairy killer
- Has 2 great abilities in Magnet Pull and Analytic
- Magnet Pull allows it to trap annoying Steel types like Ferrothorn and Skarmory, but should stay away from Excadrill
- Analytic allows it to function as an offensive pivot with an insanely powerful Volt Switch
- HP nerf and poor movepool
- Amazing defensive typing and good STABs allow it to destroy (and sometimes trap) specific threats, allowing many other Pokemon to break through opponents teams with their counters gone

Steel Trapper
########
name: Steel Trapper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Volt Switch
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Hidden Power (Fire)
ability: Magnet Pull
item: Choice Specs
nature: Modest
evs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpA

Moves
========

- Thunderbolt is your strongest STAB move that hits many Pokemon hard, and does massive damage to Skarmory
- Volt Switch does the same but gains momentum for the rest of the team
- Flash Cannon is your secondary STAB move that has good coverage with Thunderbolt and destroys Fairies
- Hidden Power Fire is the best thing in Magnezones poor movepool and does a lot of damage to Ferrothorn even with lower power then before

Set Details
=======

- Choice Specs increases power without being too detrimental because Magnezone does not usually need to switch moves and enjoys the power
- Modest nature because power, but 84 EVs outsoeeds Skarm, and 144 beats Heatran (and 2HKOs it)
- Maximum bulk and power

Usage Tips
========

- Smash Steels and stay away from Excadrill, but don't be afraid to use it to kill what it can before or after that
- Be careful around any Pokemon that commonly run Earthquake or Close Combat for obvious reasons
- Don't be afraid to Volt Switch

Team Options
========

- Flying types have great defensive synergy, especially ones with Defog
- Pokemon that appreciate Steels being removed are decreasing due to Fairy types being bigger problems to Dragons, but Poison or Steel type Pokemon also appreciate them being removed and can destroy Fairies

Offensive Pivot
########
name: Offensive Pivot
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Hidden Power (Ice)/Hidden Power (Fire)/Sleep Talk
ability: Analytic
item: Choice Specs
nature: Quiet/Modest
evs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SpAtk

Moves
========

same but target everything instead of a Steel focus, and:

- Sleep Talk can be used over HP Fire, as this set doesn't need to hit Ferrothorn, which was previously the only target of it, since a neutral Thunderbolt is just as string as a super effective Hidden Power

Set Details
========

^ except:

- Analytic is used for more power, as Magnezone is often causing switches, or is usually slower then what is sent out, and has the bulk to take hits along with great typing. The following damage calcs show Magnezones raw power that allow it to achieve certain KOs on Pokemon that may otherwise threaten it.

252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 337-397 (88.2 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 321-378 (89.6 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 355-418 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 292-345 (69.5 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 292-345 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

- Quiet nature takes advantage of Analytic but makes you slower then neutral natured Aegislash

Usage Tips
========

- Should be used to take advantage of Magnezones ability to force switches and low Speed
- Volt Switch whenever you can
- When using Sleep Talk, Magnezone makes for a good status absorber, as it threatens every common user of Sleep, and can live a single Mach Punch from Breloom
- Bluff Magnet Pull

Team Options
========

- Wish users especially with Sleep Talk
- Defog users as this set switches even more
- Pokemon to take Fire, Fighting, Ground moves

Other Options
########

- SubCharge
- Scarf
- Defensive set with Discharge
- Assault Vest
- Dual Screen
- Sub 3 attacks
- Metal Sound
- HP Grass (only really for Gastrodon or Swampert but those are very uncommon)
- Explosion
- Bad movepool not much

Checks & Counters
########

- Heatran
- Lucario/Mega Lucario
- Gastrodon
- Earth Power Celebi
- Blissey
- Jirachi
- Many EQ users like Terrakion, Salamence, Haxorus etc that can't switch in

Last edited:
That's why it's a WIP, I just finished Kabutops in under an hour so I can do this soon, essentially, this is a placeholder.

Trainer Au

Insert custom title here
Im not qc.....but maybe a mention of 144 spe evs is worth putting to outrun min spe tran and potentially 2hko after rocks?

Under usage tips in the first set, you have advised to not be afraid to use Volt Switch, however on a Choice set, Volt Switch can go from a nice momentum-grabber to a momentum-loser very quickly due to ground types. Sure, using volt switch is often the best play but I think it would be a good idea to emphasise the downside, and warn the user not to mindlessly spam volt switch.

Offensive Pivot and Steel trapper are practically the same set, can't Analytic and Magnet Pull be slashed on the same set? I feel you could just write that it's your choice: make it a steel trapper or offensive pivot based off the ability. If you changed the item on Steel Trapper to leftovers, then it may warrant another set.

Also, Magnezone is now immune to Thunder Wave so it makes it a much better check to Ferrothorn, perhaps making SubCharge more viable. I'm not QC to determine if SubCharge is truly viable, but at least mention that it is immune to Thunder Wave and therefore is a better check to Ferrothorn.

Offensive Pivot and Steel trapper are practically the same set, can't Analytic and Magnet Pull be slashed on the same set? I feel you could just write that it's your choice: make it a steel trapper or offensive pivot based off the ability. If you changed the item on Steel Trapper to leftovers, then it may warrant another set.

Also, Magnezone is now immune to Thunder Wave so it makes it a much better check to Ferrothorn, perhaps making SubCharge more viable. I'm not QC to determine if SubCharge is truly viable, but at least mention that it is immune to Thunder Wave and therefore is a better check to Ferrothorn.
The sets are split because they're played differently. SubCharge is also in OO atm.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

SubCharge isn't good. All it does is cost Magnezone two moveslots (with them Fairy-killing ability and use as a pivot) whilst providing virtually zero tangible benefit.

I'm surprised HP Ice isn't slashed first on Analytic Specs. The ability to kill
Dragonite/Landorus/Zygarde/Garchomp/Gliscor/etc. is invaluable. It's easily the first move I'd consider in that slot.

Finally, I would consider including some of the calcs I posted for Analytic in this thread http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/magnezone-qc-0-3.3495268/ because you should back up more power, quantifying the amount for the reader. Not running Magnet Pull is a huge tradeoff, so you have to convince the reader why they'd do it in order to draw them in.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I'm surprised HP Ice isn't slashed first on Analytic Specs. The ability to kill
Dragonite/Landorus/Zygarde/Garchomp/Gliscor/etc. is invaluable. It's easily the first move I'd consider in that slot.
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Landorus-T: 337-397 (88.2 - 103.9%) -- 25% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Garchomp: 321-378 (89.6 - 105.5%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Gliscor: 355-418 (100.2 - 118%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 292-345 (69.5 - 82.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ SpA Choice Specs Analytic Magnezone Flash Cannon vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Zygarde: 292-345 (81.5 - 96.3%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Defensive Zygardes and Dragonite (assuming no SR) would be the only reasons to use Hidden Power Ice. Even then, I almost would prefer Grass because it prevents Gastrodon from being a safe switch-in.

Running HP Grass just for Gastrodon seems like a waste, Gastrodon won't be that common and wasn't amazing otherwise.

I'll add HP Ice to AC (and make sure to say Flash Cannon usually does enough if it doesn't OHKO) and put in those calcs. Also Jukain, that link is to this thread lol, i'll read the Magnezone thread to see if there are some other important KOs and do a few calcs myself.

Colonel M

I COULD BE BORED!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Running HP Grass just for Gastrodon seems like a waste, Gastrodon won't be that common and wasn't amazing otherwise.
I'm just saying that as far as coverage HP Grass is arguably better this time around than Ice. Hell I would probably still use Fire just because of Ferrothorn or even Ground for other Magnezone / Heatran.

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I'm sorry but in its current state, this analysis unacceptable. Each of the main sections are lacking, and the usage tips & team options are honestly pretty terrible.

This analysis requires far too much work to fix; we'd basically be re-writing the entire analysis. I'm re-assigning this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)