Sticky X/Y Sprite Project

Your effort on the list is much admired, pom.
In regards to Chesnaught's comments...Bit of a hassle, no? Geo's sprite is great, but we'll have a lot of work to do on it as well. I think working on what we have now won't be any more time-consuming.
And in those 36 hours, Chesnaught's gone through quite a few changes as well! So let me post my latest version...

Left -- Teravolt's original, Right -- latest edit.

Changes from my previous post's version:
- Made the shell rounder (esp on the right)
- Changed all shades to be slightly darker
- Redid arm horns
- Lots of shading edits here and there
- Gave Chesnaught his trademark frown

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

into

I will return to these two if nobody wants to help with them, but for now they are a marked improvement over dleep's.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
^Agreeing on the older flames being better.

The new ones (especially on the backsprite) look like party streamers.

I do a little bit of sketching and from what I understand flames (being heat sources) look more natural when curling upwards and are more "wispy" in nature.

idk that helps but that's how I learnt.

For example, this fanart of MegaKen (i know spriting is a whole different beast with colours and shit)

The shading improvements are definitely better though.

i am so tired

I ended up not using Viper's reds after all; I tried it, and it didn't really work as well as I thought it would. But it did help me decide on better reds of my own.

<princessofmusic> you know, the reason i asked for florges references was i suspected she had more "buttflowers" and in fact there were two
<princessofmusic> where her neck joins her head/hair, there's a big green star, and on the back of her big leaves, there's only one pointy thingy at the bottom, not two
<~Layell> this is what I get for not evolving mine

Aside from that... the other day, I saw the Sugimori art and realized that Florges needed a mouth, fingers, different arms, and possibly other things as well.

Also Layell here's AZ's Floette again:

And thanks for ditching me. D: Sweet dreams...

Yeah I agree with everyone to put the old flames back in on Mega Blaziken but aside from that, I would say he's nearly ready for animation now.
The flabebe is the best we have done so far, well done and florges is better now thanks to PoM going back and refining details and changing things.
The Chesnaught is a definite improvement, well done.
Also, thanks princess for making that huge list, it must have taken ages and it really helps everyone here to understand what to change and what steps to take next in terms of animation ect.

Overall, everyone has put lots of work in to this project and I'm glad I have witnessed everything progressing from page 1 right to page 71. The improvements made to some pokemon are phenomenal and everyone who contributed should feel proud :)

i am so tired

I ended up not using Viper's reds after all; I tried it, and it didn't really work as well as I thought it would. But it did help me decide on better reds of my own.

<princessofmusic> you know, the reason i asked for florges references was i suspected she had more "buttflowers" and in fact there were two
<princessofmusic> where her neck joins her head/hair, there's a big green star, and on the back of her big leaves, there's only one pointy thingy at the bottom, not two
<~Layell> this is what I get for not evolving mine

Aside from that... the other day, I saw the Sugimori art and realized that Florges needed a mouth, fingers, different arms, and possibly other things as well.

Also Layell here's AZ's Floette again:

And thanks for ditching me. D: Sweet dreams...
These look really great! But one little nitpick about Florges; I just thought that it may need a teensy bit of alteration in regards with her face. I just think from that angle, the mouth would not be seen. So, I'll suggest a possible change for it.

Here they are side by side; the original and the edited one.

I just made it look as if her head is tilting up more. I also added that eye shine to make her more lively. I'd like to know your opinion about the proposed edit!

Well anyways, so it seems that you lads were having a hard time spriting the Helioptile. I decided to try and take it on myself and yep, it was quite a pain in the arse to do.

Meh. I guess it's all right. ;~;

PS: No back sprites available as of now because I suck at doing it.

Well anyways, so it seems that you lads were having a hard time spriting the Helioptile. I decided to try and take it on myself and yep, it was quite a pain in the arse to do.

Meh. I guess it's all right. ;~;

PS: No back sprites available as of now because I suck at doing it.
Let's see...think there could be a little bit more shading underneath the head. The outlines seem very dark too, and it looks a little jarring. Also I think the eyes are too light. I'll try and make some edits a little later - currently getting ready for Christmas Day @_@

EDIT: Not entirely satisfied, but it's worth a go.
HelioptileWobbleedit.png

Personally think the best one has been this one:
Helioptile.png

Last edited:

Ridaz

Don't @ me
is a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Programmer Alumnus
Let's see...think there could be a little bit more shading underneath the head. The outlines seem very dark too, and it looks a little jarring. Also I think the eyes are too light. I'll try and make some edits a little later - currently getting ready for Christmas Day @_@

View attachment 6175

View attachment 6176
The one you showed to be the best one is not, imo.

One of the things I've noticed is it's legs not flexing, and the head doesn't seem to look to have the correct proportion, among other stuff. (I'm referring to the new sprite)
Anyway, here's the model, for guidance.

The backsprite shouldn't be too hard to make. Just a little patience.

added transparency, and did what you suggested Ridaz
Needs leg movement while hopping, among the other suggestions presented. But that's the main issue

Last edited:

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Alright, I better give a bit more of my input on this stuff.
Branflakes325

First of all, the blade forme's front sprite has an error on the right (our left) edge of the blade. It's too flat and doesn't match the rest of the sprites. I'm going to assume this was just a mistake.

So the shield's handle is wrong on both of them. On the shield forme, it should be visible under the arms and above the blade, something like this:

Paste the arms on top of that and it'll be correct, although you may want to edit . On the blade forme, the handle is at completely the wrong angle. I didn't add in the arm, because last time I did it took forever, and you'd probably do a better job anyways, but here's how it should look.

Both of those are kind of rough drafts, feel free to edit slightly, but try to keep the points where it connects to the edge at the exact same place as at the front of the shield. Anyways, I PMed you about why this is correct a few days ago, but I'll copy-paste some of it here so others can see it too.
Watch this video. While it provides a good reference for multiple angles, specifically see seconds 40-43, where there's an aerial side view.See the handle? It connects directly to the line patterns on the front of the shield.

Also, if you watch the video really closely when Aegislash changes forme, at about 15 seconds and 58 seconds, you can see that the blade is actually inserted in the shield's handle. This was barely noticeable in my version of the sprite, but it's definitely something to account for.

Third, the shield forme's left arm, the one that's hidden underneath the right arm, it looks like it hasn't been changed from when the official artwork was used as a reference. I know it's mostly obscured, but it's still noticeable.

Alright, this is probably the most subjective change, but I honestly still think that my original version of the arms were just overall better. To bring up the reference images again:

I just feel like your version still has the wrong shape of the arms. They need to be thicker in some parts, with the thickness changing more gradually, and et cetera. I actually think it would be easier to edit my version of the arms to make them ideal than to edit yours, they just seem closer to what they look like in-game.

Anyways, I'm going to be gone from tomorrow to New Year's Day. I'll still have (limited) internet access, but I'm not going to be able to do any spriting. With that happening, and now that we've got this new fancy approval list, I think I'm going to share some of my future plans for the project.

First of all, I plan to redo Aegislash's animation when it's ready. Of course it gets high priority, given that it's already been animated, and it happens to be my favourite Gen VI Pokémon.

Mawile's revamps are about 80% done, the changes really look a LOT better so far, but at this point it may not be done for a decent while longer. Also, nobody had better edit it at all, because that thing is like a child to me, my original contribution to the project, and I'm EXTREMELY proud of having created it all on my own. When I do post it, if you have any issues, feel free to let me know, but PLEASE don't fix it yourself. I don't care about Aegislash or Mega Scizor or the rest though, go crazy.

The remaining ones I want to animate are Mega Ampharos, Zygarde, and Goodra. I've been looking forward to those three for quite a while, and it seems that they may be nearing completion soon. Of course my other two static sprite creations, Mega Aerodactyl and Scizor, are on the "eventually" list too.

Also, I've got a holiday present for everyone. I'll post it soon. 0u0

EDIT:
Here's an updated aegislash:

Everything's done except the blade forme's left hand on the backsprite. Last time I did that it was a total pain to get right, and I literally do not have the time to fix it right now. But yeah, don't try changing the position of the handle, because it really needs to match up with the frontsprite. If you watch this video again, at about 0:19 when Aegislash uses Shadow Sneak, you can see that the left hand goes significantly farther to the right than the sprite originally showed, with the fingers being somewhat longer as well. If the hand is changed to fix the current handle, it'll be in the right position.

And yeah, 'course I'm going to re-animate this myself. My original sprite's already been pretty much replaced, but I'm still determined to contribute to my favourite new Kalos Pokémon.

Last edited:
Few things

-Arms edited (keep in mind, they move a lot more in the animated blade form)
-Shield handle added to the shield-forme back sprite, but the edited arms end up covering them mostly. Which is accurate.
-Shield handle on the blade-forme fixed. This was an oversight on my part, and the old sprite had this error too lol
-Front blade edge thing fixed

First of all, I plan to redo Aegislash's animation when it's ready. Of course it gets high priority, given that it's already been animated, and it happens to be my favourite Gen VI Pokémon.
Does this mean we're both going to do them separately? I've already started (see p.69 for latest version) and I plan on completing all Aegislash animations. As always, though, I'm open to constructive criticism. Also, I don't know if you were planning on redoing animations of your Aegislash sprite or mine.

Other things I'm working on are Megazard Y's back sprite, which I have already failed once. I really struggle with back sprites sometimes, but I want to have this done along with finalized Mega Ampharos and Goodra back sprites. Mega Ampharos needs some hair fixing and proportion touch-ups, while Goodra just needs some minor editing to better match the front sprite's shading.

Lastly, Merry Christmas everyone! :)

EDIT: Legitimate Username I'm a bit confused about those edits you just made. According to that video, only a small portion of its hand swirls are visible which I made accurately in my sprite. I'm also confused about the hand going farther and the handle position changing. I changed the angle of the handle to match the front sprite, and you cannot see the rightmost part of the hand because the blade is in the way. Maybe I'm not reading your explanation correctly, but the only thing I see potentially wrong with the sprites is the extended arm (as typhlito mentioned).

Also since we're both doing Aegislash animations, others will have to choose which ones will end up being used on Showdown. This could potentially come down to a vote among the contributors of this project or something.

Last edited:

Typhlito

One Active Dawg
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Few things

-Arms edited (keep in mind, they move a lot more in the animated blade form)
-Shield handle added to the shield-forme back sprite, but the edited arms end up covering them mostly. Which is accurate.
-Shield handle on the blade-forme fixed. This was an oversight on my part, and the old sprite had this error too lol
-Front blade edge thing fixed

Does this mean we're both going to do them separately? I've already started (see p.69 for latest version) and I plan on completing all Aegislash animations. As always, though, I'm open to constructive criticism. Also, I don't know if you were planning on redoing animations of your Aegislash sprite or mine.

Other things I'm working on are Megazard Y's back sprite, which I have already failed once. I really struggle with back sprites sometimes, but I want to have this done along with finalized Mega Ampharos and Goodra back sprites. Mega Ampharos needs some hair fixing and proportion touch-ups, while Goodra just needs some minor editing to better match the front sprite's shading.

Lastly, Merry Christmas everyone! :)
Really loving the detail being added to slash. It looks much more refined than it used to be. Its probably good enough to pass now but if anything, I would try checking on its right hand on his back sprite (sword mode) since it looks a bit "flat" while the rest of the body is at an angle. Also, maybe you could experiment on the left elbow on the back sprite (shield mode) by raising it up by a pixel. It might make it look a bit more at an angle. I would try it myself but with family over its way too distracting to work on anything right now. :s

And Merry Christmas everyone!

Legitimate Username

NO PLAN SURVIVES
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus

Happy holidays! Here's my present to anyone who's reading this, all gift wrapped and everything. By the way, the changes to the static sprites are very minor, just the usual pre-animation edits. Enjoy!

EDIT: princessofmusic, I changed the colour #FEFEFE (very light gray) to #FFFFFF (pure white). This is precedented in just about every BW sprite that has white in it.

Last edited:
NOTE: I asked Layell to put a permalink to the master list at the top of the "to-do" tab of the chart. It's there now.

These look really great! But one little nitpick about Florges; I just thought that it may need a teensy bit of alteration in regards with her face. I just think from that angle, the mouth would not be seen. So, I'll suggest a possible change for it.

Here they are side by side; the original and the edited one.

I just made it look as if her head is tilting up more. I also added that eye shine to make her more lively. I'd like to know your opinion about the proposed edit!
Wobble is alive! Welcome back! oAo

I wasn't fully satisfied with these when I posted them. Anyway, I made other changes and edited some details on Flabébé as well. The new things are in my last post to save room.

EDIT: Ice-cold Claws

Sorry for the delayed response. I was unsure about Chesnaught until I saw your latest revision. The only change I can suggest right now is to alter the shading on the white part of its left arm (our left). Currently, the contour looks wrong.

View attachment 6175

View attachment 6176
The yellow is a bit too bright for me and the shading needs to pop out more. Apart from that, with the given reference, I think we both failed to edit the inaccuracy with regards to the proportion/shape of the head. Well, the body in general needs some work done. So....

It's time for updatesss.

• Changed the color palette
  • Altered the legs, feet, and hands
  • Made the top of the head pointier
  • Addition of backs (not satisfied with it...) and shinies

Moar Updates.

So there you go.

Oh, and Merry Christmas ya'll!

Last edited:
Now that I'm off from school, I may have time to help out a bit with this project. I noticed Mega Gyarados' face looked off, so I tweaked the line art of the head and face and tried to soften some of the dark outlines. I also took a crack at the shiny palette and got it to look nice with 15 colors and one transparent color.

Update:

Original:

I also updated the normal palette slightly, so if you decide to use it, the backsprite will have to get updated as well.

Yay! I'm spriting again! Here's a Spewpa I made in less than two hours. Like seriously, I just blew through this thing. Must have had something to do with my desire to get back to spriting after IV Breeding for 20+ hours.

Anyway, aforementioned Clawitzer edits ahoy! (New ones on top, old ones on the bottom.)

So yeah, I made it with less dithering, although I didn't remove all the dithering since it would have looked weird in a couple spots. I also didn't remove the dark blue highlights as the color scheme was ripped from an existing Bluemon (Lanturn) and I felt it would have looked flat in addition to being backed by an official pallet. Bigger fixes in regards to the whiskers, as I straightened out their outlines a lot. I also gave the Black its own outline color, as it was previously sharing it with the arm-blue which would have looked awkward on the shiny.

Oh, and btw, Merry Christmas everyone! Here's to hoping you got everything you asked for!

Yay! I'm spriting again! Here's a Spewpa I made in less than two hours. Like seriously, I just blew through this thing. Must have had something to do with my desire to get back to spriting after IV Breeding for 20+ hours.
Very classy - think the only thing is the colour scheme on the back of it's head doesn't seem to match that of the front.

IV Breeding for 20 Hours?! You mad, mad person. XD

Very classy - think the only thing is the colour scheme on the back of it's head doesn't seem to match that of the front.

IV Breeding for 20 Hours?! You mad, mad person. XD
Actually, the color scheme is good. If you look closely, the front of its face has a mask-like area around the eyes with a brighter gray area behind that. The back of the head has no mask, so it's just the lighter gray. It kinda surprised me too when I first noticed it, but it's definitely there in the in-game model.

And believe me, the only part where I thought I was going to go mad was when I was breeding a perfect IV Froakie. That one pokemon took 7 hours, because the gender ratios are so skewed with starters that it makes it hard to IV breed properly. +/

Actually, the color scheme is good. If you look closely, the front of its face has a mask-like area around the eyes with a brighter gray area behind that. The back of the head has no mask, so it's just the lighter gray. It kinda surprised me too when I first noticed it, but it's definitely there in the in-game model.

And believe me, the only part where I thought I was going to go mad was when I was breeding a perfect IV Froakie. That one pokemon took 7 hours, because the gender ratios are so skewed with starters that it makes it hard to IV breed properly. +/
Huh, so it is. Never mind then xD

Surprised you want to look at a Froakie again after that xD ...at the minute I'm getting irate over the number I'm getting in Wonder Trade. Someone please just give me a Cyndaquil D:

Speaking of Froakie, I've always found that I don't see any French ones in the GTS or Wonder Trade - guess they must have been eaten. :U

This is N-kin's Xerneas with 15 colors. It doesn't look too bad, but the antlers might be a bit messy to animate, even more so than they already are. I only did the front sprite to see what everyone else thinks. The original palette uses 27 colors.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
yo wobblebuns imma happy for you and imma let you finish spriting but making subtle palette changes for shinies is one of the best tricks of ALL TIME!

I made the triangles a slightly different colour, so that when we recolour the animation we don't want to shoot ourselves.

also why is the medi regular back different from the shiny back oof

Adding bracelet black colour on left arm so it works for both!

I'm putting together everything for another update now k.

Also GoldenBanana good changes on the Gyarados horn but I'm not sure about the teeth changes that you made, rarely are fangs straight like that, also nice experimenting with Xerneas but we will stick to what we got.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)