Pokémon Gardevoir

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hyper Voice can go through Trevenant's subs or any subs.
That's a good point.

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 248-294 (66.3 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Trevenant Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 236-278 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

M-G can come in as it subs and still beat it 1v1.

How does Aegislash stop that? I understand the Scizor, but not the slash.

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 146-174 (45 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 228-270 (67 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aegislash can just about switch in on Shadow Ball and still survive a second hit to 2HKO. It's not a good thing for either of them to switch in on each other, but Aegislash has the advantage against most max speed variants.

252 SpA Mega Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Aegislash-Shield: 146-174 (45 - 53.7%) -- 2.3% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252+ Atk Aegislash-Blade Shadow Sneak vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 228-270 (67 - 79.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Aegislash can just about switch in on Shadow Ball and still survive a second hit to 2HKO. It's not a good thing for either of them to switch in on each other, but Aegislash has the advantage against most max speed variants.
If you shadow sneak, you turn into sword form, where shadowball easily kills.

I think gardevoir will become a solid mega UU
I've tried using her( yes should be her ) in Ou and it drops me below 1100s
her defense is too low, any neutral physical hit wrecks her (hello EQ).
I don't think she's quite ready to be written off just yet. She has potential, but she needs a good team to back her up, like most other pokemon do. I used her for a bit in the beginning, and held a score of around 1600, and I know that my team was flawed. Yes, she has low physical defense, but that's why you have a defensive pokemon back her up. On that note, Reflect support does wonders for her. UU may or may not be her future home, but I think that with the right team, she will be capable in OU.

If you shadow sneak, you turn into sword form, where shadowball easily kills.
I left out the Aegislash Shadow Ball calc, my bad. Aegislash takes a Shadow Ball, fires its own and then finishes off with Shadow Sneak. Pretty much most Aegislash are running mixed now too.

I think gardevoir will become a solid mega UU
I've tried using her (yes should be her) in Ou and it drops me below 1100s
her defense is too low, any neutral physical hit wrecks her (hello EQ).
You sure about that? >3> Evidence suggests that Gardevoir was based off of male concepts in its design; even its jap name has some sort of reference to 'knight' or some such.
Just sayin'.

Incidentally, I use Megavoir with Sticky Web and she wrecks things. In my experience her biggest problem is 4MSS. I run Hyper Voice/Taunt/2 coverage moves, but Garde misses out on hitting certain targets when it forgoes Psychic/Psyshock (Venusaur), Shadow Ball, (Gengar & Aegislash), or Focus Blast (most bulky Steel-types). Having to rely on Focus Blast sucks too seeing as it misses so much, but you pretty much need it. That aside, it wrecks most neutral targets with Hyper Voice when it outspeeds everything thanks to SW, and is great at eliminating non-steel-type defensive walls like Gliscor or Hippowdon thanks to the sheer power of its Hyper Voice.

That's a good point.

252 SpA Pixilate Mega Gardevoir Hyper Voice vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Trevenant: 248-294 (66.3 - 78.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
4 Atk Trevenant Shadow Claw vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Gardevoir: 236-278 (69.4 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

M-G can come in as it subs and still beat it 1v1.
A few points here...
First off, your hyper voice calc doesn't take into account the sub damage- there's actually a small chance to OHKO the trevenant after the substitute. It still doesn't change anything, but I thought it was worth note.

Second off,

Aegis switches into a shadow ball, takes over 45%. If, like you say, it then *SHADOW SNEAKS* Gardevoir, the next shadow ball from Gardevoir will always KO back- Aegislash will be in shield forme. Therefore, unless the Aegis is running Iron Head, Gardevoir should be able to take on standard (king's shield/swords dance) Aegis if it shadow balls on the switch. (Actually, possibly if Aegis was a mixed variant it could switch into shadow ball, take another attack, then shadow ball you back, then shadow sneak, but eh).

Just thought I'd point those things out.

expecting to hit everything for SE damage is impossible anyway. it definitely hits everything for neutral damage since ghost/fighting already does that.

anyway I'm trying to think of a support set for normal gardevoir since I wanted a WoWer. is trick worthwhile? like a trick specs set with moonblast, thunderbolt/shadow ball, WoW, trick.

anyway I'm trying to think of a support set for normal gardevoir since I wanted a WoWer. is trick worthwhile? like a trick specs set with moonblast, thunderbolt/shadow ball, WoW, trick.
There are better WoWers out there. Rotom-W, Sableye or any Ghost type. WoW users should be able to tank a physical hit then use WoW. Gardevoir dies to pretty much any physical hit so it's not suitable for that role.

because of immunties? gardevoir is immune to dragon and 4x resists fighting. I'd much rather use garde because of that point- the dragon immunity fits better on my team.

it also seems like the opposite of what you said is true. you want it on a low defense mon to lure in physical attackers so you can cripple them. you're not going to switch in and try to wow something.

Last edited:
I've been rocking a Garde in my team with: Stealth-rock Mamoswine, MegaGengar, Acrobatics Scizor, sub/DDance Gyrados and Quiver-Dance Volcarona. She really compliments my team and serves as an awesome Wall breaker and stops Dragons and Fighters in their tracks. Here's the set I'm running:

Ability: Trace
Item: LeftOvers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 SPA

Moves:
WoW
Taunt
Moonblast
Wish

Most people I encounter don't expect this set and usually have a hard time finding a good counter which causes them to switch out 1-3 times allowing me to WoW manz switching in or set up Wish. WoW makes up for Gardes' poor Def and Wish + leftovers provides viable recovery when you prodict your opponent well. I haven't tried any other Garde sets, but I feel this one can make OU with the right team, like mine.

Last edited:

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Doubles
Gardevoir @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
-Atk + SA Nature
- Protect
- Wish/ WoW/ Toxic
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock/ Psychic

I used this in doubles, I think it worked quite well. Hyper Voice is the highlight of this set, really.
I just crammed my team with 4 fairies, and my score remained at around 1600 or so, so it should be ok.

I've found the CM Mega Gardevoir running a standard sweeper spread to be pretty effective (Hyper Voice/Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind). It's easy to find a switch in thanks to the Fairy Typing, especially if someone popped off an Outrage early. Trace also lets you get in on various opponents as previously stated.

If you run Focus Blast, Heatran isn't going to want to stay in on you, and for the most part, Heatran don't often run Flash Cannon. That said, it's not really a good idea to set up on Heatran unless you can confirm it lacks Flash Cannon and Roar, but it definitely doesn't appreciate taking a +1 Focus Blast. Shadow Ball can also do a decent chunk, but I believe it's still less than 50%.

I spend most of my time spamming Hyper Voice so the last two moves really just depend on what your team needs for coverage. Shadow Ball is safe and consistent most of the time, so I like to carry it. I tried running Psyshock for a bit but I rarely found any use for it.

Personally I think you should be running Hyper Voice / Shadow Ball or Focus Blast / Calm Mind / Destiny Bond. Destiny Bond lets you use burn/poison to your advantage if necessary, and also scares Aegislash into considering to not kill you (hit it with Shadow Ball on the switch, use Destiny Bond as it hits you with it's own Shadow Ball, you'll probably survive but now it won't want to Shadow Sneak you unless it doesn't care about dying). Though other than Destiny Bond, you could also run Will-o-Wisp to get past things like Scizor, since Scizor tends to live until late game. CM boosting your already very high special defense helps a lot, since the majority of things that outspeed you tend to be special attackers.

Mario With Lasers

Self-proclaimed NERFED king
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Shadow Ball can also do a decent chunk, but I believe it's still less than 50%.
252+ SpA Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 79-94 (20.4 - 24.3%) -- possible 6HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 252+ SpD Heatran: 119-140 (30.8 - 36.2%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Leftovers recovery

252+ SpA Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 109-129 (33.7 - 39.9%) -- 28.9% chance to 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
+1 252+ SpA Gardevoir Shadow Ball vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Heatran: 164-193 (50.7 - 59.7%) -- 83.2% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Eh, I've seen worse.

Thanks for the calcs!

Though I tend to run MGardey with Timid, so... those takes would each be doing ~10% less (which is god awful damage), and not really a decent chunk. But hey, the +1 Focus Blast still hits like a champ.

Halcyon.

@Choice Specs
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hi guys, so I was running a stupid but fun team a little while ago for a sub special on my YouTube channel, and I used Mega Gardevoir. I have to say, I didn't expect it to do well (at all, honestly), but it totally surprised me by being an insanely powerful Calm Mind sweeper and wallbreaker. I mean, 165 SpA is nothing to scoff at, and while people might say "but, but Halcyon, it doesn't hit as hard as X with a Life Orb!" I would simply say that most Calm Mind users run Leftovers anyway, so the power increase is definitely noticeable. I also want to make it clear that The best coverage move by far is Psyshock. Well, I say "coverage" like it hits more things than Shadow Ball does, but really, it doesn't. What it does do is hit specially defensive Pokemon like Blissey, Goodra, fucking Snorlax (which I actually saw), and others on the physical side of defense. Psyshock is absolutely the most useful coverage move, as outside of Aegislash, most Ghosts will be OHKOed by +1 Hyper Voice anyway (or Psyshock in Gengar's case).

So yeah, I'll update the OP (finally).

Maybe could someone give me a good idea of a moveset for Mega Gardevoir
Gardevoir
Item: Gardevoirite
Nature: Timid
-Hyper Voice
-Focus Blast
-Calm Mind
-Shadow Ball

I actually use a Gardevoir non-mega in Ubers as a special tank. I have yet to drop below 1700 using her, and it really makes a mind game when pairing with Lucario as to who is the mega. This is mine

Wall Breaker:

Gardevoir (F) @ Leftovers
EVs: 200 SAtk / 56 HP / 56 SpD / 200 Spd
Timid Nature
- Moonblast
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Protect/Will O' Wisp

Now of course, everyone is laughing at me, but seriously, it's a viable if not really good set. Tracing Flash Fire on Heatran or Water Absorb on Jellicent is gorgeous, and sponges an attack. I trace Protean on Greninja, and have yet to lose to one. I'll use Gardevoir to sponge status and switch in on a Blissey-- with Psyshock dealing nice damage back. Yes, it's true this set can't take physical hits, but that's what the other five slots on the team are for. Why try to make Gardevoir compensate for something it just can't do instead of enhancing what it really can? No matter how many defensive EV and IV you put into it, Aegislash, Scizor and Cloyster will nail it to the ground. Instead, I use Gardevoir to beat the walls. I don't find Mega Gardevoir to be overwhelming or worth my mega-spot, no matter how much I love her. Instead, I use her as a standard-- which works really well in her niche. Sure, she will go UU, but she'll go UU with a non-mega set as well.

EDIT: I mention in this Lucario. With Lucario being Suspect Tested, I will mention other Mega-evo's it works well with. Lucario, Venusaur, Alakazam (though you have to watch the double psychic on this one, I find that having two trace options is hilarious. Just for kicks I added a Porygon 2, and had Triple Trace.), Gyarados, Scizor, Tyranitar and Garchomp.
Repeat: all of these pokemon, when paired can allow for a Mega-Mind Game. That is, you can choose which you want to be a mega, and which you won't. Unexpirienced Gardevoir facers will only expect the Mega-Gardevoir, and prep as such; so a different Mega works really well with the above set.

Last edited:
I suggested a mixed set, take a look. incredibly useful given that very few steels are immune to thunder wave (excadrill, ??) and can cripple pretty much all her common switch ins. encore destroys walls and makes it an effective wallbreaker too. the half support/half nuke setup is the way to go imo.
I'd think you'd want to have a core consisting of hyper voice/moonblast and shadowball. The third slot goes to Encore/Pain Split/Trick/Destiny Bond, while the fourth should go to t-wave/WoW/Hypnosis/Toxic.

Let's hope it doesn't get cursed.

I've been rocking a Garde in my team with: Stealth-rock Mamoswine, MegaGengar, Acrobatics Scizor, sub/DDance Gyrados and Quiver-Dance Volcarona. She really compliments my team and serves as an awesome Wall breaker and stops Dragons and Fighters in their tracks. Here's the set I'm running:

Item: LeftOvers
Nature: Calm
EVs: 252 HP 252 Def 4 SPA

Moves:
WoW
Taunt
Moonblast
Wish

Most people I encounter don't expect this set and usually have a hard time finding a good counter which causes them to switch out 1-3 times allowing me to WoW manz switching in or set up Wish. WoW makes up for Gardes' poor Def and Wish + leftovers provides viable recovery when you prodict your opponent well. I haven't tried any other Garde sets, but I feel this one can make OU with the right team, like mine.
How does it fare against Drapion?

I've found the CM Mega Gardevoir running a standard sweeper spread to be pretty effective (Hyper Voice/Focus Blast/Shadow Ball/Calm Mind). It's easy to find a switch in thanks to the Fairy Typing, especially if someone popped off an Outrage early. Trace also lets you get in on various opponents as previously stated.

If you run Focus Blast, Heatran isn't going to want to stay in on you, and for the most part, Heatran don't often run Flash Cannon. That said, it's not really a good idea to set up on Heatran unless you can confirm it lacks Flash Cannon and Roar, but it definitely doesn't appreciate taking a +1 Focus Blast. Shadow Ball can also do a decent chunk, but I believe it's still less than 50%.
With the loss of Hidden Power, and the arrival of fairy types, you will see more Flashcannons on Heatran sets.

Last edited:
Though it makes sense for Heatran to run Flash Cannon for fairies, I'm not really sure how many Heatran want to use up that moveslot for such a medicore attacking type, especailly when some of the most relevent fairies outspeed it and can threaten with their own super effective moves, namely Togekiss and Azumarill.

Hi guys, so I was running a stupid but fun team a little while ago for a sub special on my YouTube channel, and I used Mega Gardevoir. I have to say, I didn't expect it to do well (at all, honestly), but it totally surprised me by being an insanely powerful Calm Mind sweeper and wallbreaker. I mean, 165 SpA is nothing to scoff at, and while people might say "but, but Halcyon, it doesn't hit as hard as X with a Life Orb!" I would simply say that most Calm Mind users run Leftovers anyway, so the power increase is definitely noticeable. I also want to make it clear that The best coverage move by far is Psyshock. Well, I say "coverage" like it hits more things than Shadow Ball does, but really, it doesn't. What it does do is hit specially defensive Pokemon like Blissey, Goodra, fucking Snorlax (which I actually saw), and others on the physical side of defense. Psyshock is absolutely the most useful coverage move, as outside of Aegislash, most Ghosts will be OHKOed by +1 Hyper Voice anyway (or Psyshock in Gengar's case).

So yeah, I'll update the OP (finally).
I know Psyshock has it's uses, but doesn't Hyper Voice hit Goodra harder thanks to super effective damage, higher base power, and pixelate anyway?

Though it makes sense for Heatran to run Flash Cannon for fairies, I'm not really sure how many Heatran want to use up that moveslot for such a medicore attacking type, especailly when some of the most relevent fairies outspeed it and can threaten with their own super effective moves, namely Togekiss and Azumarill.

I know Psyshock has it's uses, but doesn't Hyper Voice hit Goodra harder thanks to super effective damage, higher base power, and pixelate anyway?
Toge will have to t-wave it first.

I think we'll be willing to talk about it if you can find something relevant that's hit harder by Gardevoir's physical moves than Gardevoir's special moves, INCLUDING Psyshock. There really is no comparison between Gardevoir's base 85 Attack and base 165 Special Attack - there really is no reason to use that lower stat.
What about shadow sneak? The priority could be useful in certain situations.

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Yeah, I think Calm Mind is the best thing Mega-Gardevoir can do in OU, otherwise I'd use regular Gardevoir who can equip a Scarf to outspeed a lot of relevant offensive threats while packing moves like Trick, Destiny Bond, Memento, or Healing Wish; or just use a Leftovers support Gardevoir which can heal 62% with Wish + Protect instead of MegaVoir's 50%. Even an all-out 4 attacks can be done by Specs Sylveon, who can still outspeed many defensive threats and pack enough bulk against the faster dudes Mega-Gardevoir fails to outspeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)